Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Skaski. Pls check the translation.

Почтенный гражданин Martin Miles's Avatar

The Wicked Village, a Skazka.

Жил странник, который пришёл к селу, которого жители были очень зли. Через три года вернул к селу, чтобы видеть если жители стали лучше. С разочаровением обнаружил, что они становились хуже.
    Мораль - Гнилое масо станет более гнил, и не менее.

There was wanderer who came to a village whose inhabitants were very wicked. After three years, he returned to the village to see if the inhabitants had become better. With disappointment, he saw that they had become worse.
    Moral: Rotten meat becomes more rotten, not less.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Пожалуйста, кто-то скажи мне, есть ли ошибки где-то.

Paul G.
    Жил-был странник, который пришёл в село, жители которого были очень злыми. Через три года он вернулся в село, чтобы посмотреть, стали ли жители лучше. Он с разочарованием обнаружил, что они стали хуже.
    Мораль - Гнилое мясо станет более гнилым, а не менее.

Thanks, Paul. One of my mistakes actually managed to escape your notice. I wrote maso instead of myaso. People in the library were talking behind my back, literally, and, for a moment, I couldn't remember whether it was myaso, or maso.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Thank you, detective maxmixiv.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Всегда пожалуйста!
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Подающий надежды оратор
    Yes, I know the english rule about the same cases. That's true.
    However in russian lang. we can use two cases.
    I do not remember the grammar rule, I am just trying to explain how I understand that.

1. Ей прошлось бродить, как [бродит кто? как вообще обычно бродит любая] бездомная собака.
    2. Ей пришлось бродить, как [пришлось кому? так же как когда-то пришлось какой-то неизвестной] бездомной собаке.

Both expressions are acceptable. Common senses are equal.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    [/I]Because she is "like a homeless dog" with respect to the wandering itself, and not with respect to the necessity of wandering, бездомная собака is in the nominative, as the subject of the logically-understood verb бродит, rather than in the dative as the object of пришлось.
    Absolutely right!

Paul G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles View Post
    One of my mistakes actually managed to escape your notice. I wrote maso instead of myaso.
    No, it didn't.
    Simply I forgot to highlight this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles View Post
    ... I wrote maso instead of myaso. People in the library were talking behind my back, literally, and, for a moment, I couldn't remember whether it was myaso, or maso.
    Просьба избегать на форуме использование транслита.
    Спасибо.

Can you, Detective maxmixiv, or anyone else well versed in the mysteries of Russian grammar, tell me why you use privlech' rather than privlekat' in the translation you provided? You wrote, Poetomy on stal bormotat' v nadezhde privlech' vnimanie. Was he hoping to attract attention at only one specific moment? If he was hoping to attract attention continuously, shouldn't the imperfective aspect be used? As you know very well, most people love attention, and try to get as much of it as they can. If someone were drowning, and a friend on the shore was calling for help, then I think you should use privlech', because he only wanted to attract attention at a specific moment, but in most cases, as I said, people like to win the attention of others for as long as they can, so I think privlekat' is indicated, no?
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Alas, I am not expert in grammar. Your sentences all correct, but it's still unnatural to say "привлекать" in this phrase.
    May be, we consider attention as something, that having attracted once, will be stick for a while.

More, here "стал бормотать" does not specify to us, how long "бормотание" was about to last. If we are describing short term episode, then
    "стал бормотать" = "забормотал", which is in perfect harmony with "чтобы привлечь", right?

"привлекать" could be employed though in other phrases:
    Холодильник решил, что отныне он будет тарахтеть по ночам, и таким образом привлекать внимание людей (he wants привлечь внимание multiple times, in other words, he wants to привлекать внимание regularly).

Let some grammar guru explain better
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

the Death of Fyodor

Смерть Фёдора
    Любовный интриг между Фёдором и Анной начался прямо после того, как жена священника умерла. Она умерла именно в правое время для Анны, которая недавно вышла замуж. Фёдор тогда был очень старым, а Анна молодой. Долгый, страстный, любовный интриг с молодой женщиной, которая всегда была голодной для секса, бы скончает старого-либо. Анне дал Фёдор оба его семья и жизнь.

The Death of Fyodor
    The love affair between Fyodor and Anna began just after the priest's wife died. She died precisely at the right time for Anna, who had just become a wife. Fyodor was then very old, and Anna young. A long, passionate love affair with a young woman, who was always hungry, would kill any old man. Fyodor gave Anna both his seed and his life.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Dmitry Khomichuk
    Смерть Фёдора
    Любовная интрига между Фёдором и Анной началась сразу после того, как жена священника умерла. Она умерла как раз вовремя. Фёдор тогда был очень старым, а Анна - молодой. Долгая, страстная_любовная интрига с молодой женщиной, которая всегда была голодна,убьёт любого старика (if hungry for sex, you should write it, because just "голодна" means she wants to eat). Фёдор отдал Анне как своё семя, так и свою жизнь.

Thanks for your encouragement, Dmitry, pls. note that I have added a phrase to what I posted this morning. And yes, I did mean hungry for sex.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Ladno, detektiv.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

The Cockroach and the Car, a Skazka.

Таракан и Автомобиль
    Однажды странник услишал зту речь между тараконом и автомобилем.
    Таракан -Вы - не настоящо автомобиль, вы не можите двигать без помочи другого.-
    Автомобиль -Так может быть друг мои, но я - больше вас, и крепче вас , и скорее вас, и...
    Раньше автомобиль мог кончить свою речь, он напался и убился большым автобусом.
    Мораль - Толстая свинья вперви убиться.

One day, a wanderer heard this speech between a cockroach and a car.
    Cockroach: You are not really an automobile, you cannot move without the help of another.
    Car: Maybe so, my friend, but I am bigger than you, and stronger than you, and faster than you, and...
    Before the car could finish his speech, he was attacked and killed by a big bus.
    Moral: The fattest pig is the first to be killed.

Last edited by Martin Miles; August 18th, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

By Mathew Goldstein | Reuters – Sun, Aug 12, 2012 1:52 PM EDT

RELATED CONTENT

• View Photo Billionaire investor George Soros and girlfriend Tamiko Bolton are pictured at Soros' …

(Reuters) - Billionaire investor George Soros had a lot to celebrate on Saturday evening: his 82nd birthday and the engagement to his much younger girlfriend, Tamiko Bolton.
    Soros and Bolton, who met in the spring of 2008, formally announced their engagement at a party at Soros' summer home in Southampton, New York, attended by a small group of friends and relatives, according to a person familiar with the investor.
    Soros proposed to Bolton, 40, a few weeks ago during a weekend visit to the Hamptons, a beachside colony on Long Island frequented by New York's wealthy.
    For Soros, this will be his third marriage and the second for Bolton, who was married briefly in the 1990s. Soros has five children from his previous marriages.
    Last year, Adriana Ferreyr, a former girlfriend of Soros, filed a lawsuit alleging he had reneged on a promise to buy her an apartment. Soros has filed a pending motion to dismiss the suit by the former Brazilian soap opera star.
    Ferreyr's attorney, Robert Hantman, said: "I wish him the best of luck on his marriage, and now that he doesn't need the apartment, hopefully the case can be resolved."
    Soros, who is an active contributor to politically liberal causes and frequently speaks on world economic events, converted his hedge fund into a family office in 2011 and stopped managing money for outside investors.
    Soros rose to fame and fortune two decades ago on a now-historic trade, in which he took on the Bank of England and shrewdly wagered on a devaluation of the British pound.
    Bolton, who once started an Internet-based dietary supplement business and is now running a web-based yoga education business, has a master's degree in business from the University of Miami.
    The engagement ring Soros gave Bolton, according to a person close to him, is a Graff diamond in a platinum setting on a rose gold band.
    Among the guests at the party at Soros' summer home were journalist Jane Bryant Quinn and Blackstone's Byron Wien.
    Earlier this year, Reuters first reported that Soros' son, Jonathan, who last September stepped down from day-to-day management of the affairs at Soros Fund Management, had decided to set up his own family office. In moving to manage his own money, Soros' son also planned to take on key employees of Soros Fund Management, which last reported having about $25 billion in assets.
    (Editing by Christopher Wilson and Sandra Maler)
    Девушка - лoвушка.

The Two Women and the Sunflowers

Однажды утром мужчина встретил старуху, выходившую из церкви. Смотря, как цветок с желтыми лепестками разворачивается навстречу восточному солнцу, он спросил: "Подсолнухи?".
    "Нет", сказала женщина. После обеда, на пути домой, мужчина увидел тот же цветок, повернутым к солнцу на запад. Он спросил другую женщину: "Это подсолнух?". "Да", ответила женщина.

Мораль - Всегда ложь - некрасна, и часто легка открыть.

One morning, a man met an old woman coming out of church. Looking at a flower with yellow petals turned towards the eastern sun, he asked: "Sunflowers?" "No", said the woman.
    In the afternoon, on his way home, the man saw the same flower turned towards the sun in the West. He asked another woman, "Is that a sunflower plant?" "Yes", replied the woman.

Moral: A lie is always ugly, and frequently easy to expose.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Почти всё правильно, поздравляю.

Однажды утром мужчина встретил старуху, выходившую из церкви. Глядя, как цветок с желтыми лепестками разворачивается на восток навстречу солнцу, он спросил: "Подсолнухи?".
    "Нет", сказала женщина. После обеда, на пути домой, мужчина увидел тот же цветок, повернутым к солнцу на запад. Он спросил другую женщину: "Это подсолнух?". "Да", ответила женщина.

Мораль - [дословно] Ложь всегда некрасива и часто легко обнаруживается.
    [Пословица] Всё тайное становится явным.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Однажды прохожий услышал такой разговор между тараканом и автомобилем.
    Таракан: Вы не настоящий автомобиль, вы не можете двигаться без помощи (кого-то) другого.
    Автомобиль: Может и так, друг мой, но я - больше вас, и крепче вас , и быстрее вас, и...
    Прежде чем автомобиль смог закончить свою речь, его (переехал и) задавил большой автобус.
    Мораль: (литературно) Жирную свинью первой под нож.

Задавить means to kill to death by a vehicle.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast