Thread: Check my translation pls

Почтенный гражданин

Check my translation pls

Could somebody please check my English
    --------
    Ambitious young scientists get into the very heart of Great Siberian swamps. A main goal of their expedition is to reach the legendary community of “Siberian Amazons” – women-warriors who live in harmony with nature and rule their men. It turn out that the reality is very different from the beautiful legends. Savage traditions and terrible diseases dominate in the lost village, isolated from modern civilization. Not all of the travelers will return home alive, but first they have to solve a mystery - a dreadful curse of the place, “where time first stopped and then turn backwards”.

This book contains elements of an ethnographic mystery and a crime thriller, so it can satisfy both the lovers of intellectual reading, who can appreciate sophisticated games with dialect languages, and admirers of action dramas, who will be carried away by a twisted, mind-blowing story.
    ------------

Thank you v. much
    Find your inner Bart!

Завсегдатай
    Ambitious young scientists get into the very heart of the Great Siberian swamps. The main goal of their expedition is to reach the legendary community of “Siberian Amazons” – women-warriors who live in harmony with nature and rule their men. It turns out that (the is not needed) reality is very different from the beautiful legends. Savage traditions and terrible diseases dominate (in is not needed) the lost village, isolated from modern civilization. Not all of the travelers will return home alive, but first they have to solve a mystery - the dreadful curse of the place, “where time first stopped and then turned backwards”.

This book contains elements of an ethnographic mystery and a crime thriller, so it can satisfy both the lovers of intellectual reading, who can appreciate sophisticated games with dialect (dialect does not seem to fit here) languages, and admirers of action dramas, who will be carried away by the twisted, mind-blowing story.

Overall, not bad at all. The main problem is the confusion between the use of a and the.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Почтенный гражданин
    Wow, I'm good!

Thanks, Kwatts You see: before I had (a) tendency to prefer "the" to "a", and now we have a reaction
    Find your inner Bart!

Старший оракул
    I've often wondered how to explain the difference between "the" and "a" to someone who doesn't have such words in their language.
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Last edited by Darobat on Mon Mar 5, 1759 1:19 am; edited 243 times in total

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Darobat
    I've often wondered how to explain the difference between "the" and "a" to someone who doesn't have such words in their language.
    Imposible! I just try to be fair and give them both approximately the same amount of space
    Find your inner Bart!

Властелин
    We speak and write like newspaper headlines: "Boy kills father"
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerty
    Imposible! I just try to be fair and give them both approximately the same amount of space
    Я тоже

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Darobat
    It's simple. The "a" AFAIK came from "one" - in Russian the word "one" - "один" is often used the same way: "один мужик" - a man, "один случай" - a case, "один мой друг" - a friend of mine. The "the" article presents in Russian too - it is "-то": Король-то голый! - The king is naked! Машина-то разбита. - The car is damaged. So you can explane the main idea how to use articles.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Властелин
    я книг-то по грамматике практически не читаю, объясни мне, JJ, пожалуйста, как насчет нулевого артикля?

JJ
    Властелин
    Indra, я ведь тоже не лингвист, что такое нулевой артикль?
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Властелин
    отсутствие артикля - тоже как бы артикль, он и называется нулевым.

Помимо того, чему нас учили в школе (вещества, абстрактные понятия, множ. число там, где слово в ед. ч. имело бы неопределенный артикль), артикли не употребляются еще в куче случаев.

Завсегдатай
    Купите спраовчник Collins Cobuild под названием "Артикль". Там есть АБСОЛЮТНО ВСЁ об артикле. Уж поверьте мне как начинающему лингвисту.

А не хотите, придётся объяснить. Сейчас не могу, некогда...
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почтенный гражданин
    Well, I know the rules pretty much. I just can't apply them in real situation. More: I think I know the main principle. But sometimes it just doesn't fit!
    Find your inner Bart!

When in doubt, wing it.. and smile REALLY BIG. \(^______^)/

Your english was very clerically correct, it just had spots here and there which might have slipped by someone who wasn't used to "listening" when they hear someone speak. In a nutshell.. I applaud your skill and your knowledge of our language. )
    Give someone fire, and you keep them warm for a single night. Set them on fire, and you'll keep them warm for the rest of their life.