Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Please check the translation of this little story.

Почтенный гражданин Martin Miles's Avatar

Fyodor's personality, another paragrapg for correction.

фёдору нравилось слышать музыку птиц. ему были посланниками божями, потому что летали между землей и небом. иногда его жена, софия, которая всегда вставала рано с постели, его будила до рассвета потому что хотел слышать как каждое племя народа певцов участвовало в гимне божем.

Fyodor liked to hear the music of the birds. To him they were divine messengers, because they flew between Earth and Heaven. Sometimes his wife, Sophia, who always arose early, awakened him before dawn, because he wished to hear how each tribe of the nation of singers took part in the divine hymn.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Пожалуйста, кто-то скажи мне, есть ли ошибки где-то.

Thank you both of you. I can guess what barizhit' means without having been to Russia.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Many thanks to you both, and I appreciate the compliment Larusja.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Dmitry Khomichuk
    Фёдору нравилось слушать музыку птиц. Для него они были посланниками божьими, потому что летали между Землёй и Небом (Небесами will be better). Иногда его жена, София, которая всегда вставала рано, будила его до рассвета, потому что он хотел слышать, как каждое племя народа певцов участвовало в гимне божем (Can't understand what does it mean).

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry Khomitchuk View Post
    Фёдору нравилось слушать музыку птиц. Для него они были посланниками божьими, потому что летали между Землёй и Небом (Небесами will be better). Иногда его жена, София, которая всегда вставала рано, будила его до рассвета, потому что он хотел слышать, как каждое племя народа певцов участвовало в гимне божьем.
    I think everything's OK.
    слышать - to hear
    слушать - to listen to
    But in colloquial speech they could be mixed up or both could be acceptable.

Огромное спасибо Вам. I was at the home of old friends of the family when I typed the above. For some reason, it is hard to get upper case letters on their keyboard.

Don't you read poetry, Dmitrii?
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Dmitry Khomichuk
    I read very much.

Fyodor teaches his son a lesson.

Один урок шахматов - дама должна быть в доме с корольем. Проыграешь когда она блуждает. С этой реальной партией Фёдор учил его сына этот урок шахматов и жизни.

One lesson of chess is that the queen should stay at home with the king. You lose when she wanders. With this real game, Fyodor taught his son this lesson of chess and life.

1e4 c5
    2b4 cxb
    3d4 d5
    4Nf3 Bf5
    5Nd2 e6
    7a3 Qb6?
    8Nb3 Bb4+
    9Kf1 bxa
    10Bd3 Bxd3
    11cxd Bc3
    12Rxa3 Bxd4
    13N(b)xd4 Nxd4
    14Be3 Qb2
    15Qa4+ Nc6
    16Nd4 Qb1+
    17Ke2 Qxh1
    18Nxc6 a6
    19Bc5 Qxh2
    20Nd4+ b5
    21Nxb5 Qxe5+
    22Kf1 Qb2
    23Nd6++Ke7
    24Nc4+ Kd8
    25Nxb2 и выграет.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Fyodor, the witches, and the garden.

Один первой церкови Фёдора была церковей Святего Албан, мученника. В времене Фёдора колдуны ещё находилась в деревнах регионов, может быть, даже сейчас они - там. Это было источником трудности для Фёдора. В временах трудности, Фёдор отдыхал в его сада. Дом попа была большым здением противоположенным дома дворянина деревна. Дом попа имел внутренний сад с низкой стеной, и внешний сад с живой изгоргдь. Фёдору нравилось работать в саду, сам сажать дерева, на пример.

One of Fyodor's first churches was the church of St. Alban the martyr. In Fyodor's time witches still were found in country areas, maybe even now they are there. This was a source of difficulty for Fyodor. In times of difficulty, Fyodor relaxed in his garden. The house of the priest was a big building opposite the house of the nobleman of the village. The priest's house had an inner garden with a low wall, and an outer garden with a hedge. Fyodor liked to work in the garden, to plant trees himself, for example.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles View Post
    Один первой церкови Фёдора была церковей Святего Албан, мученника. Первой церковью, доверенной Фёдору на попечение (we don't say this way "первой цековью Фёдора была..." at any rate in such cases.), была церковь св. мученика Албана. времене Фёдора колдуны ещё находилась в деревнах регионов, может быть, даже сейчас они - там. Во времена Фёдора ведьмы ещё жили в деревнях; может быть, даже сейчас они там. Это (what exactly? Witches?) было источником трудности для Фёдора. И эти ведьмы были для Фёдора источником проблем. В временах трудности, (not enough context. You mean the times when he had to fight against the witches or in general always when he faced difficulties or just when his heart was heavy or something else? Maybe if I had been experienced enough in English to know what usually "times of difficulty" means, I could have translated that sentence, but I'm not, so I can't translate) Фёдор отдыхал в его сада. Дом попа была большым здением противоположенным дома дворянина деревна. Фёдор жил в большом строении (better доме especially if that was a building that he alone lived in), что стояло напротив дома старосты (I think for some reason you meant starosta for nobleman, didn't you? Maybe you should look up the word староста (and starosta) in a explanatory dictionary. The word "дворянин" doesn't fit definitely) Дом попа имел внутренний сад с низкой стеной, и внешний сад с живой изгоргдь. Этот дом имел внутренний сад, окруженный низкой оградой (I don't know what about English, but in Russian "wall" in literal sense means something made of stone, bricks, concrete etc.), и внешний сад, имевший живую изгородь. Фёдору нравилось работать в саду, например, самому (note the ending - the dative case) сажать деревья. (I think it's better to give at least two examples)

One of Fyodor's first churches was the church of St. Alban the martyr. In Fyodor's time witches still were found in country areas, maybe even now they are there. This was a source of difficulty for Fyodor. In times of difficulty, Fyodor relaxed in his garden. The house of the priest was a big building opposite the house of the nobleman of the village. The priest's house had an inner garden with a low wall, and an outer garden with a hedge. Fyodor liked to work in the garden, to plant trees himself, for example.
    declination of цЕрковь (Always on E)
    церковь
    церкви
    церкви
    церковь
    церковью
    церкви

of сад
    сад
    сАда
    садУ
    сад
    сАдом
    сАде

the word сам is also declinable
    сам
    самогО
    самомУ
    самого
    самИм
    самОм

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles View Post
    Один урок шахматов - дама должна быть в доме с корольем. Проыграешь когда она блуждает. С этой реальной партией Фёдор учил его сына этот урок шахматов и жизни.

One lesson of chess is that the queen should stay at home with the king. You lose when she wanders. With this real game, Fyodor taught his son this lesson of chess and life.
    Одно из правил шахмат гласит, что ферзю (он) (less common королева but never дама. There are дамки (kings) in droughts) лучше оставаться рядом с королём. Проиграешь, если он блуждает. На примере этой (or следующей) реальной партии Фёдор преподал сыну урок шахмат и жизни.

declination of шАхматы (always on the A)
    шахматы
    шахмат
    шахматам
    шахматы
    шахматами
    шахматах

of корОль
    король
    королЯ
    королЮ
    королЯ
    королём
    королЕ

note проиграешь. There's a rule about и and ы.
    Гласные Ы и И после приставок. Правила русского языка - грамматика.

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Yeah, chess is a great game. But I think chess has only one rule: win - regardless how exactly, in what ways. There are no better ways for always, but better only under certain circumstances, and the latter could be VERY different.

Властелин
    королева for 'queen' in chess is incorrect. There is only one name: "ферзь".

Thanks both of you. I think I will have to use koroleva.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Dboryanin probably means courtier in English which as you say is not what I meant. Why is vedimi better than kolduna?
    Девушка - лoвушка.

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    No, you shouldn't use королева. I've judged from my own experience and was wrong. Ответы@Mail.Ru: а какое еще название есть у шахматной фигуры ,,Королева,, ?
    And why you will HAVE TO?

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Can you describe what was the occupation of the nobleman or so?
    Ведьмы (witches)are women, And колдунЫ are men. This is what quite certain. In the rest they are similar.

Thanks for the explanation. The nobleman was a landowner, like Levin in Tolstoi's Anna Karenina. And the wall of the inner garden of the house I was describing is/was made of stone, but I think in Russian villages you tend not to use stone so much (the word for wood and village have the same root in Russian, for example). The simple word, аристократ, rather than староста should do for nobleman. There is more I would like to say, but I am about to leave the house. It is night here and the sky is cloudy, not starry.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

I think that from the context, you can work out why I would have to use королева.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    The nobleman was owner of the village, right? If so i think the sentence should be like this Фёдор жил в доме, что (= который a bit bookish) стоял напротив дома помещика, которому принадлежала эта деревня.
    Этот дом имел внутренний сад, окруженный низкой каменной оградой. (низкая [каменная] стена is something very strange to me in that context)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast