Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ivan and Lizaveta. Please look over the translation.

Почтенный гражданин Martin Miles's Avatar

Ivan i Lizaveta continued.

Умная женщина - опасная женщина. Надежда не была умной, и для этого её любил Фёдор. Она была красивой как картина, но как картина у неё не была жить, жить что приходит от ума. И также прямо как красивая, мертвая картина, она начинала жить, так говорить, когда кто-то смотрел её красоту, и так у Фёдора были многие картины Надежды без одежды.

A clever woman is a dangerous woman. Nadezhda was not clever and Fyodor loved her for this. She was beautiful like a picture, but like a picture she had no life, the life that comes from intelligence. And also just like a beautiful, lifeless picture, she started to come alive, so to speak, when anyone beheld her beauty, and so Fyodor had many pictures of Nadezhda without her clothes.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Пожалуйста, кто-то скажи мне, есть ли ошибки где-то.

Почётный участник
    Умная женщина - опасная женщина. Надежда умной не была, потому Фёдор её и любил. Она была красивой, как картинка, но, как и в нарисованной картине, в ней было жизни - той, которая приходит с образованием (я правильно понял мысль?). И так же, как красивая, но застывшая картина, она оживала, только когда кто-то обращал внимание на её красоту. Поэтому у Фёдора было множество изображений Надежды без одежды.

Paul G.
    Умная женщина - опасная женщина. Надежда не была умной, и Федор любил ее за это. Она была красивой, как картина, но как и в картине, в ней не было жизни, жизни, что происходит от ума. И также как и прекрасная, безжизненная картина, она начинала, так сказать, оживать, когда кто-либо созерцал ее красоту, и поэтому у Федора было много изображений Надежды без одежды.

Умная женщина - опасная женщина. Надежда умной не была, потому Фёдор её и любил. Она была прекрасна, как картина. Но, как и в картине, в ней не было жизни, той, что даёт разум. И, словно прекрасная, но безжизненная картина, она как бы оживала, когда кто-либо созерцал её красоту, поэтому у Фёдора было много картин обнажённой Надежды.

Ivan i Lizaveta cont.

Часто музыка была предметом разговора, когда Фёдор встречал органист его церкови, Святой Троитзы. Фёдор подвергал сомнению огромной славу Баха.
    -Великий композитор должен сможет писать хорошо для людского голоса-говорил он. ЭтоБах ясно не смог.-
    -Это значит ничего.-оранист отвечал, -больая часть людской речи - лоны, Или люди лгут, или не знают, о чём говорят.-
    -Ты прав, друг мой, но Бах был музыкантом не филосовом, и повторяю, композитор - не знаток его ремесла, если он не сможет писать для наиболее натурального инструмеита.-
    Фёдор никогда не согашал его органист об этом.

Music was often the topic of conversation when Fyodor met the organist of his church, Holy Trinity. Fyodor used to cast doubt on the great fame of Bach. "A great composer must be able to write well for the human voice,'' he said. "Clearly Bach cd. not do this."
    "This means nothing', the organist replied. Most of human speech is false. Either people are lying or they don't know what they are talking about.
    You are right my friend, but Bach was a composer not a philosopher, and I repeat, a composer is not a master of his craft if he cannot write for the most natural instrument.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Церковь была католическая?
    Семь бед, один Reset

Spassibo, dorogoi drug moi.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Bach was a protestant, and his music was performed in Russia at the time of the story, even if not in church.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Thanks guys.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Thanks, fellows. Ramil, I take it that the repetion of the word "bor'ba" in your translation is redundant.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

но и там таятся опасности (опастности)

Но если органист был из церкви?..
    Семь бед, один Reset

Your Russian seems to be quite good. Instead of asking me all of these questions, you cd. simply provide a translation, and if it is the case that the organ is not played in orthodox churches, the word organist can be changed to "a friend who was a music teacher, or a musician, etc." Use your head. All of us here think that we are intelligent.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Martin -- the word поп does indeed mean "priest", but it's considered very old-fashioned nowadays and can even have a dismissive sound. But it would be an appropriate word if you were quoting Henry II in regard to Thomas a Becket ("Will no one rid me of this meddlesome поп?"). And I guess that the husbands of the women that Fyodor sleeps with might also use the word!

And священник "by default" refers to Orthodox or Catholic priests, but in some contexts it can also be used generically for Protestant ministers, Jewish rabbis, Muslim imams, etc., -- so in such cases it would be translatable as "clergyman" or "man of the cloth".

Larusja, I have a question for you. You say, " u nikh ne bilo boleznei". The fact that you put it that way clearly shows it is correct. However I notice that in your version, firstly, the verb to be in the neuter singular does not agree with the subject, and more importantly to me, the subject of the phrase is in the genitive plural. As I said, your version is obviously correct, even though it looks strange to an English speaker; my question is, would it be INCORRECT to say, "u nikh ne bili bolezni" with the verb in the plural agreeing with the subject of the phrase in the nominative case?
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Yet another instalment of Ivan i Lizaveta

Летом Фёдор ел завтрак вне дома. Тогда делил свою пишу с храбрым маленком воробеем, который шёл прямо до его. Однажды воробей отвергнул есть пишу, которую священник ему дал. Фёдор стал подзрительным, и остановил есть. Священник был больном после еды, но ранно стал здравым вновь. У Фёдора была крепкая конституция. Ревнивий муж платил кухарку священника отравить его пишу, но как было сказало Фёдор избегнул смерти благодаря храброму маленькому воробею.

In summer Fyodor used to eat breakfast out of doors. He would then share his food with a brave, little sparrow which used to go right up to him. One day the sparrow refused to eat the food which the priest gave him. Fyodor became suspicious and stopped eating. The priest was ill after the meal, but soon became well again. Fyodor had a strong constitution. A jealous husband paid the priest's cook to poison his food, but as was said already, Fyodor avoided death thanks to the brave little sparrow.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Paul G.
    Летом Фёдор завтракал на открытом воздухе. Он делился своей пищей с храбрым маленьким воробьем, который подходил прямо к нему. Однажды воробей отказался есть еду, которую священник ему дал. Фёдор почувствовал неладное ("стал подозрительным" sounds awkward in this context) и прекратил (= перестал) есть. Священнику стало плохо после еды, но вскоре ему стало лучше. У Фёдора была крепкая конституция. Ревнивый муж заплатил кухарке священника, чтобы та отравила его пищу, но как было уже сказано, Фёдор избежал смерти благодаря храброму маленькому воробью.

Well done!

Ogromnoe spasibo, drug moi. I take it you meant to say "Fyodor pochustvoval neladen".
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Martin: In this context, Фёдор почувствовал неладное is correct, because the meaning is basically "Fyodor sensed something-not-okay." The neuter accusative adjective неладное ("a not-okay thing") is functioning as the direct object of the verb почувствовал.

On the other hand, if you wanted to say "Fyodor felt not-okay", you would use the construction Фёдор почувствовал себя неладно -- note that неладно is acting adverbially, and so it doesn't have to be in the masculine short form (неладен) to agree with Фёдор.

But using that почувствовать себя construction implies that the feeling is internal (i.e., Fyodor was sick or something). In this context, though, Fyodor senses that something external to him is amiss -- he "feels suspicious of something" -- and that's why Paul recommended the construction without себя. Hope this is all clear.

Also, as a general note, остановить means "stop" in the rather specific sense of "to halt someone's or something's movement/travel" -- as in Милиционер остановил велосипедиста, "The policeman stopped the bicyclist." And you can simply put a -ся on it to mean "to halt one's own motion" -- Автобус остановился, "The bus stopped."

But if you mean "stop" in the sense of "to cease and desist from the process of doing something" (such as eating), then the verbs that Paul recommended (прекратить or перестать) should be used instead.

P.S. By the way, your Russian is definitely improving -- keep up the good work!
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

ivan i Lizaveta continues

Привлечение Надежды Священникам было наследственным. Много поколенний, свои прямые женские предоки рожали ребята священников, которые не были их мужьями. Эти ребята обычно нчинала жизнь в утробе в день, который был большым религиозным праздником. Благоаря её предкам, будучи ребёнком, Надежда всегда стала возубжданной, когда она смотрела нагой тело Христа на кресте.

Nadezhda's attraction to priests was hereditary. For many generations, her direct female ancestors had given birth to the children of priests who were not their husbands. These children usually began life in the womb on a day that was a big religious holiday. Thanks to her ancestry, as a child, Nadezhda always became excited when she examined the naked body of Christ on the cross.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast