Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for language exchange

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Helenej View Post
    Wow, it's such an irrefragable answer. I like that Americans are so logical in this line: first - middle - last. Easy to remember. Thank you.
    I looked up the word "irrefragable", Lena. I've never in my life even heard it spoken...lol. I think a better word for you to use would be "indisputable". That's more commonly understood

Lena
    I hope I was encouraging to you about your studies.
    Я надеюсь, что я был обнадеживающим о ваших изучениях.
    Я надеюсь, что смог ободрить вас в ваших занятиях.
    The point is that there is no direct equivalent to encouraging in Russian.
    Yes, обнадеживающий means something that gives you hope. But only words, reply, answer, results, rate of reducing, i.e. a real evidence of something can be обнадеживающими. Not a person, not just someone's words like, “Everything will be ok”.

Generally, there weren’t any mistakes in your last reply.
    Вообше-то, в вашем последнем ответе, есть нет какые-нибудь ошибки.
    Вообще-то в вашем последнем ответе не было никаких ошибок.
    Should be past indefinite like in your sentence. Было, был, была, были.

How would I say, “You should be pleased”?
    Как я был бы говорить, «You should be pleased»?
    Как следует сказать, “Вы можете радоваться”.
    “Как бы я сказал” is grammatically correct, still if doesn’t sound Russian. The impersonal form is much better.
    We use the past indefinite form of the verb to form the subjunctive in Russian (not the infinitive) and the particle бы.
    Я бы поехал, она бы написала.
    The English subjunctive is much more complicated by the way.
    If she asked I would go. If she had asked I would had gone. Should she asked...
    Wow, thank god there is at least one thing about Russian which is simpler than in English.

We had pizza tonight for dinner.
    Мы ужинали пиззами сегодня вечером.
    Сегодня на ужин у нас была пицца.
    We usually use пицца in the singular. Yet with the numerals we use the plural: две пиццы, три пиццы, пять пицц.

I went to the grocery store and got what we needed to cook it.
    Я ездил в гастроному и покупал что нам нужно то, чтобы это поготовить.
    Я съездил в магазин и купил все, что нужно, чтобы приготовить ее.
    You don’t want to say, “I was in the process of going to the grocery store and as I was doing that it suddenly began to rain”. In this case you should have used the imperfect. You wanted to say, “I went there and bought. Now we have food”. So you should use the perfective.
    We say, “Я пойду в магазин”. Гастроном is out of date because all the shops selling food bear signatures *** and very rarely. Hardly ever гастроном or продукты.

For dessert we had ice cream, and we talked.
    Для десерта мы ели мороженое и мы разговорили.
    На десерт у нас было мороженое и мы разговоривали.

You commented on how we use words not even knowing what they really mean, and I agree.
    Вы прокомментировали относительно как мы использоваем словы, без знание их смыслы и я согласен.
    Вы прокомментировали то, как мы используем слова даже не зная, что они на самом деле значат, и я согласен с этим.
    It is imperfect and that’s correct.

We use them, as you say, on instinct.
    Мы использаваем как вы говорите, инстиктом.
    Мы использyем их, как вы сказали, интуитивно.
    I actually said that only once. It’s not a repeated action, so here we use the perfective.

As children, we learn as we’re doing now, by example, by trial and error.
    В молодости мы учиться как делаем сейчас, примером, пытаться с ошибками.
    В детстве мы учимся так же, как и теперь, на примерах, делая что-либо и ошибаясь.
    Childhood lasts from birth to 12, I’d say. Молодость lasts, I'd say, from 18 to 30.

Adults correct us, and tell us the rules as we go.
    Взрослый нас исправили и скажут нам правила как мы идём.
    Когда мы учимся, взрослые исправляют нас и рассказывают нам правила.
    Your verbs are in the present, so we should translate using the present tense.
    The action is repeated, so we choose imperfective.
    I rearrange sentences because one of them is quite long.

But we must make mistakes.
    Но мы должни делаем ошибки.
    Но мы должны делать ошибки.

Next weekend would you like to try and Skype?
    Вы хотите Скайп попробовать на следующем уикэнде?
    Вы хотите попробовать скайп на следующих выходных?
    Sometimes we use the word уикенд, but mainly when we speak about life abroad or socialites’lives.

I’ll try and help you with your English
    Я буду стараться вас помогать по-английски
    Я буду стараться помогать вам в английском.
    Помогать кому? – dative

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcole View Post
    I looked up the word "irrefragable", Lena. I've never in my life even heard it spoken...lol. I think a better word for you to use would be "indisputable". That's more commonly understood
    That means that ABBY is deceiving us. I meant "a complete answer, a thourough answer". It was not me who made up this word combination.

Почтенный гражданин
    Я полагю они просто отличат, ваша жизнь там и моя жизнь здесь. Я никогда знал что-нибудь кроме свободы и так не знаю как этого сравнить. Я сам, я бы жить с меньшем для того, чтоб у меня есть свобода. Я надаюсь что для вас жизнь будет изменить. Это хорошо то, что иметь вместе свободу и экономическую безопасность.

I suppose there are simple differences between your life there, and mine here. I’ve never known anything but freedom, so I don’t know how to compare it. Myself, I would live with less just to have freedom. I hope economically things change there for you. It’s good to have both freedom, and economic security.

Я рад что вы расскажете мне о словах, которые для вас и не современный языка. Эсли никто не расскажут мне об этом, я никогда бы знать. Тем дальше вы учите по английскему, чем легче это будит то, что обучать оба русский и английский языки. У меня к вам вопрос: Как бы я пишу, «One doesn’t know what is in one’s future»?

I’m glad you tell me about words I use which are not contemporary language for you. If someone didn’t tell me, I would never know. The more you learn in English, the easier it will be for you to tutor in both Russian and English. I have a question for you: How would I write, “One doesn’t know what is in one’s future”?

Сегодня я должен вышью несколько подушки. Я никогда не знаю то, что я буду делаю....ха ха. Мне нравится разная работа. Я думал тоже что я желаю то, что я мог бы печатать руский язык в чате. Я ешё все время должен углядеть в книги слова для того, чтоб правльно их печатать. Но я буду стараюсь время от времени вбросить в чате русские слова

I have to embroider some pillows today. I never know what I’ll be doing….ha ha. I like having variety in my work. I was thinking, too, I wish I could type Russian in chat. I still have to look up words to spell them correctly, though. But I’ll try to throw some in now and then

Lena
    I suppose there are simple (?) differences between your life there, and mine here.
    Я полагю они просто отличат, ваша жизнь там и моя жизнь здесь.
    Я считаю, что между вашей жизнью там и моей здесь простая разница.

I’ve never known anything but freedom, so I don’t know how to compare it.
    Я никогда знал что-нибудь кроме свободы и так не знаю как этого сравнить.
    Я никогда не знал ничего, кроме свободы, поэтому я не знаю, как ее можно сравнить.
    There should be only one negation in the English sentence. The word never expresses it.
    There can be several negations in Russian. Here they are: никогда, не знал, ничего.

Myself, I would live with less just to have freedom.
    Я сам, я бы жить с меньшем для того, чтоб у меня есть свобода.
    Лично я предпочел бы жить более скромно, лишь бы иметь свободу.
    Here we have the same subjunctive, which is much simpler than in Russian. It consist of the particle бы and the verb in the past indefinite, i.e. пошел бы, сказала бы, сказали бы.

I hope economically things change there for you.
    Я надаюсь что для вас жизнь будет изменить.
    Я надеюсь, что экономические условия там у вас улучшатся.
    We always use the future tense with the word “hope” if we mean the future.
    We are much more logical in this regard.

It’s good to have both freedom, and economic security.
    Это хорошо то, что иметь вместе свободу и экономическую безопасность.
    Хорошо иметь и свободу, и материальную обеспеченность.

I’m glad you tell me about words I use which are not contemporary language for you.
    Я рад что вы расскажете мне о словах, которые для вас и не современный языка.
    Я рад, что вы рассказываете мне о словах, которые не используются в современном языке.

If someone didn’t tell me, I would never know.
    Эсли никто не расскажут мне об этом, я никогда бы знать.
    Если бы мне никто не сказал от этом, я бы никогда не узнал.
    The subjunctive.

The more you learn in English, the easier it will be for you to tutor in both Russian and English.
    Тем дальше вы учите по английскему, чем легче это будит то, что обучать оба русский и английский языки.
    Чем больше вы учите английский, тем легче вам будет преподавать и русский, и английский.
    The more... the easier = Чем…тем

I have a question for you: How would I write, “One doesn’t know what is in one’s future”?
    У меня к вам вопрос: Как бы я пишу, One doesn’t know what is in one’s future
    У меня к вам вопрос. Как мне написать “Никто не знает своего будущего”?

I have to embroider some pillows today.
    Сегодня я должен вышью несколько подушки.
    Сегодня мне нужно вышить несколько подушек.

I never know what I’ll be doing.
    Я никогда не знаю то, что я буду делаю.
    Я никогда не знаю, что буду делать. (!)
    You’ve chosen the imperfect right. Not сделаю. You didn’t mean that you would do something, then finish doing that and there will be some result. You meant you will be in process of doing.

I like having variety in my work.
    Мне нравится разная работа.
    В моей работе мне нравится разнообразие.
    No need to fancy. You like (what?) variety. What kind of variety do you like? You like variety in your work.

I was thinking, too, I wish I could type Russian in chat.
    Я думал тоже что я желаю то, что я мог бы печатать руский язык в чате.
    Я также жалею о том, что не умею печатать на русском в чате.
    I wish I could type = Я жалею, что не умею печатать or Жаль, что я не умею печатать.

I still have to look up words to spell them correctly, though.
    Я ешё все время должен углядеть в книги слова для того, чтоб правльно их печатать.
    Мне все еще приходится заглядывать в словарь для того, чтобы правильно писать слова.

But I’ll try to throw some in now and then
    Но я буду стараюсь время от времени вбросить в чате русские слова
    Но я буду стараться время от времени вставлять их.
    The future tense = буду (будешь, будет, будем, будете) + infinitive

Isn’t it amusing how much longer the Russian version is than the English one?

Почтенный гражданин
    Сегодня у меня пары вопросов к вам, Лена...ха ха. Я думал, что вы сказали «лишь» было не современным? Я заметил, что вы использовали его в одном предложение . Тоже в том предложение, «Сегодня мне нужно вышить несколько подушек», почему «подушка» родителный падеж?

Today I have a couple questions for you, Lena…ha ha. I thought you said “лишь” was out-dated? I noticed you used it in one of your sentences. Also, in the sentence, “Сегодня мне нужно вышить несколько подушек,” why is подушка in the genitive case?

Я думаю, что русский иногда длинный и иногда короткий, чем английский. Это зависет на предложение. Правописание абсолютно самый трудно. Сегодня я посетил онлайн чат, чтобы практиковать, но я был обязанным печатать английский. Я буду стараться начинать использовать русский.

I think Russian is sometimes longer than English, and sometimes shorter. It depends on the sentence. Spelling is definitely harder. I stopped by the chat online to practice today, but I had to use English. I’ll try to begin using Russian.

Вам нравится художество, Лена? (I don’t know how to translate this next sentence, Lena: “I used to draw, but not now”). Я все ешё люблю посмотреть и разговорить о художестве. Мне нравится лучшее масляная краска. Один моего любимого художников Rembrandt. У его произведения были прекрасная глубина и тень. Другой художник я считаю, как уникалный – Caravaggio. Он был чуть-чуть бунтарь в нём времени...ха ха. Может быть причина, отчего я люблю его произведения.

Do you like art, Lena? I used to draw, but not now. I still enjoy looking at and talking about art, though. I like oil painting best. One of my favorite artists is Rembrandt. He had great depth and shadow in his work. Another artist I thought was unique was Carravagio. He was a bit of a rebel for his time…lol. Maybe that’s why I like his work.

Lena
    Today I have a couple questions for you.
    Сегодня у меня пары вопросов к вам.
    Сегодня у меня к вам пара вопросов.
    Пара means two. It is the genitive here.

I thought you said “лишь” was out-dated?
    Я думал, что вы сказали «лишь» было не современным?
    Мне показалось, что вы назвали слово «лишь» устаревшим.

I noticed you used it in one of your sentences.
    Я заметил, что вы использовали его в одном предложение.
    Я заметил, что вы использовали его в одном из своих предложений.
    It’s great, Kevin, that you noticed that. I have always had a vague suspition that you put my comments into your desk drawer without even reading them. I’m glad to find out that I was wrong.
    I scrolled back and found the case.

Sometimes I cook, though usually only with other people. Когда-то я поварить, хотя, обыкновенно лишь с другом людями. I said “только, лишь is out-of-date”.

And I looked up the word лишь in several dictionaries. To my disappointment, I haven’t found any of possible usage labels for it. Perhaps I was wrong. I can only say in my defence that I have a strong feeling that I hardly ever use it and hardly ever hear it from others. I use and hear the word “только” times more often. I’m trying to catch the impression this word makes on me. And only the 19th century literature rings a bell. I don’t know, perhaps I was wrong. I’m sorry for assuming being a teacher. I’m not one actually.
    Btw, I’m looking at your sentence once again. There is something strange about it, though I’m not sure. “Only” means “exceptionally”. Do you think it goes well with the word “usually”? They seem to conflict with each other, don’t you think?

Also, in the sentence, “Сегодня мне нужно вышить несколько подушек,”
    why is подушка in the genitive case?
    Тоже в том предложение, «Сегодня мне нужно вышить несколько подушек», почему «подушка» родителный падеж?
    Почему в предложении «Сегодня мне нужно вышить несколько подушек» «подушка» СТОИТ в родительном падеже?
    Стоит from стоять.
    I don’t know, Kevin. This is the matter of the government in Russian grammar. The direct object is несколько. That’s why it’s in the accusative. The word подушек is governed by the word несколько. The word несколько requires the genitive. It should be just remembered, perhaps.

I think Russian is sometimes longer than English, and sometimes shorter.
    Я думаю, что русский иногда длинный и иногда короткий, чем английский.
    Я думаю, что русский вариант иногда длиннее, а иногда короче, чем английский.
    Длиннее и короче are comparatives like in the English original.
    Perfect structure, though. Great.

It depends on the sentence.
    Это зависет на предложение.
    Это зависИт от предложения.
    To depend on = зависеть от + genitive.
    The verb зависеть is of the first conjugation as an exceprion. It has the letter “и” in its endings.

Spelling is definitely harder.
    Правописание абсолютно самый трудно.
    Правописание явно сложнее.
    Harder is the comparative of the adjective, not the superlative.

I stopped by the chat online to practice today, but I had to use English.
    Сегодня я посетил онлайн чат, чтобы практиковать, но я был обязанным печатать английский.
    Сегодня я заходил в онлайн чат, чтобы практиковать, но мне пришлось печатать на английском.
    It’s a very obscure case of using ot the imperfective here. We argued about it with Боб Уайтман in Perfective and imperfective verbs (beginning with #1. I was objecting to his theory and he wasn’t able to prove it. I am sure the theory was wrong. My version is definitely correct. It could be зашел also. It feel like заходил means stopped by and spent some time there while зашел can also mean both “stopped by and spent some time there” and something like ”stopped by, saw noone familiar there and left”. Tough question, though. I wish I could read an adequate explanation of that anywhere.

I’ll try to begin using Russian.
    Я буду стараться начинать использовать русский.
    Я постараюсь начать использовать русский.
    You are gonna try to begin. That is you mean not I’ll be in the process of trying to begin. You mean you are gonna make an attempt to begin. It should be perfective then. Yet “Я буду стараться использовать русский” would be correct. You will be in the process of trying to use Russian for a relative long time.

Do you like art?
    Вам нравится художество?
    Вам нравится искусство?
    It seems the turn “вам нравится” is already yours.

I used to draw, but not now.
    Раньше я рисовал, но сейчас уже не занимаюсь этим.
    The key word is раньше. You could also say “я бывало рисовал”, yet it is a bit-bit-bit oldish. (I’m starting to be more cautious with my style remarks. ) It better goes with repeated actions whatever. Like in Он бывало заходил ко мне в гости.

I still enjoy looking at and talking about art, though.
    Я все ешё люблю посмотреть и разговорить о художестве.
    Мне до сих пор нравится любоваться и говорить о произведениях искусства.
    I was confused with your meaning of the word “art” here. I even had to look up “art” in Wikipedia. Perhaps you should have said “visual arts” or is just “art” ok?

I like oil painting best.
    Мне нравится лучшее масляная краска. (Pretty good. At least I see the sentence structure. Nothing contrived.)
    Больше всего мне нравится масляная живопись.

One of my favorite artists is Rembrandt.
    Один моего любимого художников Rembrandt.
    Один из моих любимых художников это Рембрандт.
    Good. You should only have been closer to the English version in the turn “one of my”.

He had great depth and shadow in his work.
    У его произведения были прекрасная глубина и тень.
    В его работах прекрасно переданы объемность изображения и тени.
    As for using его and своего, you might like to read #193-195 in
    Pimsleur - Level 1

Another artist I thought was unique was Carravagio.
    Другой художник я считаю, как уникалный – Caravaggio.
    Еще одним уникальным художником я считаю Караваджо.
    Another = 1) еще один, 2) другой. Sometimes we use другой in the meaning of “one more”. But it feels to be more rare and low colloquial.

He was a bit of a rebel for his time.
    Он был чуть-чуть бунтарь в нём времени
    Он был в своем роде бунтарем своего времени.
    We use чуть-чуть with uncountables only. And it’s a bit colloquial as compared with немного.
    But the turn is good.

Maybe that’s why I like his work.
    Может быть причина, отчего я люблю его произведения.
    Наверное, поэтому я и люблю его картины (работы, живопись).
    Произведения wouldn’t be absolutely wrong. But it is a more general notion than a picture as a result of painting. We are already talking about painting. And again, sounds a bit bookish.
    Nevertherless I cannot see any of your attempt to indicate the subject in your version. Originally it is “that”. It could be at least “может быть это причина того, что мне нравятся его картины” though it wouldn’t be that elegant.
    Btw I know that “that elegant” is more colloquial than “so elegant”. Could you comment on my using it here, please?

Each (!) of my Russian versions is longer than your English one. The first one only may pretend to be an exception.

Lena
    Do you like art, Lena? I used to draw, but not now. I still enjoy looking at and talking about art, though. I like oil painting best. One of my favorite artists is Rembrandt. He had great depth and shadow in his work. Another artist I thought was unique was Carravagio. He was a bit of a rebel for his time…lol. Maybe that’s why I like his work.
    Of course I like art. That doesn’t prevent me from being complete ignoramus in it, though. I was trying to think of any of Rembrandt’s pictures but I could only remember the one with Saskia on his lap, lol. Caravaggio definitely rings a bell to me yet I could remember none. You understand that I could have looked up before answering your question to impress you more. But I’ve chosen to be honest. Nevertheless I do like art musems. There are some in Kiev. I especially like those in old buildings downtown. I enjoy lurking about them, watching that beauty, listening to excursions, smelling that special odour and listening to the old parkuet squeaking under your feet. Special love, huh? Perhaps you should have a look at one of them to understand what I’m talking about.
    Музей мистецтв імені Богдана та Варвари Ханенків в Києві::Экспозиция
    Lol, I can see two pieces of Rembrandt’s graphic here.

"But I’ve chosen to be honest." I seem to have chosen incorect tense here, right? Should it have been Past Simple?

Lena
    Today I have a couple questions for you.
    I remember bumping into both "a couple questions" and "a couple of questions". What's the difference?
    Another artist I thought was unique was Carravagio.
    Why did you say "I thought" instead of "I think"? I suppose it is your opinion now, too.

Почтенный гражданин
    Of course I like art...
    Lol, I can see two pieces of Rembrandt’s graphic here.
    Of course I like art. That doesn’t prevent me from being complete ignoramus in it, though. I was trying to think of any of Rembrandt’s pictures but I could only remember the one with Saskia on his lap, lol. Caravaggio definitely rings a bell to me yet I could remember none. You understand that I could have (looked up; researched) before answering your question to impress you more. But I’ve chosen to be honest. Nevertheless I do like art (musems; museums). There are some in Kiev. I especially like those in old buildings downtown. I enjoy lurking about them, watching that beauty, listening to excursions, smelling that special (odour; this is the British spelling, use “odor”) and listening to the old (parkuet; parquet)squeaking under (your; my) feet. Special love, huh? Perhaps you should have a look at one of them to understand what I’m talking about.
    Музей мистецтв імені Богдана та Варвари Ханенків в Києві::Экспозиция (Музей мистецтв імені Богдана та Варвари Ханенків в Києві::Экспозиция)
    Lol, I can see two pieces of Rembrandt’s (graphic; art) here.

Почтенный гражданин
    I remember bumping into both "a couple questions" and "a couple of questions". What's the difference?

Why did you say "I thought" instead of "I think"? I suppose it is your opinion now, too.
    Well, in actual conversation it's not wrong to simply say "I have a couple questions...", but it's generally more proper and grammatically correct to include the preposition "of"...."I have a couple of questions." The more comfortable you become with English in speaking, you may use familiar ways of speaking that are foreshortened but still correct. That only comes with fluency, I think.

In the sentence you're referring to, I said "I thought" because I was referring to a thought I had in the past. The past tense of "think" is "thought"....so, "I thought you said...".

Почтенный гражданин
    Btw I know that “that elegant” is more colloquial than “so elegant”. Could you comment on my using it here, please?

Well, your use of “that elegant” is correct. To say “so elegant” would be incorrect. I can’t think of a grammatical rule that prohibits its use, but I would say that “so” is most often used as a transitional word in conversation, “So, what do you think about that?” or “I think so.” To say “so
    elegant” would sound uneducated. A better substitute would be “as elegant” in comparison; for instance, “That blue dress is not as elegant as the red dress.” You could also introduce the comparison in a previous sentence as in, “The blue dress is beautiful. I also think the red dress is not as elegant (as the blue dress).”

Я решительно уважаю ваш комментарий. Я считаю, что они бесценно. Я всегда стараюсь помнить и использовать ваше предложения в своих предложения. Один, которое я считаю недоуменно, стоит когда я использовать «может быть». Вы обычно исправляете с «наверное». Мне не показалось несоответсвующим и я заметил прежде ваше использование этого.

About your comments, I definitely pay attention to them. I consider them invaluable. I try to remember them, and use the suggestions in my sentences. One that I’m confused about is my use of “может быть”. You usually correct my use of it with “наверное”. My use of “может быты” doesn’t seem inappropriate, and I’ve seen you use it before.

Вы правильно об использовании из “обыкновенно” и “лишь” вместе. Это конечно несоответсвующий. Если вы еще почувствуете этого устаревшим то, что я буду стараться не использовать этого...ха ха.

You’re right about using “обыкновенно” and “лишь” together. It does sound inappropriate. If you still feel that “лишь” is out-dated, then I’ll try not to use it…lol.

День рождения из моего племяника пятница и он будет восемнадцать. Это бы ли интересном знать, что мы знаем сейчас и возвращать к этому возрасту? У него уже нет извинений и он все еще верит, что он никогда не делает ошибку...ха ха.

My nephew’s birthday is Friday, and he’ll be eighteen. Wouldn’t it be interesting to know what we know now and be that age again? He has no regrets yet, and still believes he never makes a mistake….ha ha.

Это «линк», которое вы послались мне о музейной выставке был интересном. Я бы, наверное, люблю этого посмотерть и обсудить моих мысли. Я не образованный об исскуствах, но у меня мнения из чего я вижу. Я предпочту реализм, но мне нравится так же еще один стилы.

The link you sent me to the museum exhibit was interesting. I would probably enjoy seeing that, and discussing my thoughts. I’m not educated about art, but I have my opinions of what I see. I prefer realism, but I don’t mind seeing other styles too.

Lena
    Of course I like art. That doesn’t prevent me from being complete ignoramus in it, though. I was trying to think of any of Rembrandt’s pictures but I could only remember the one with Saskia on his lap, lol. Caravaggio definitely rings a bell to me yet I could remember none. You understand that I could have (looked up; researched) before answering your question to impress you more. But I’ve chosen to be honest. Nevertheless I do like art (musems; museums). There are some in Kiev. I especially like those in old buildings downtown. I enjoy lurking about them, watching that beauty, listening to excursions, smelling that special (odour; this is the British spelling, use “odor”) and listening to the old (parkuet; parquet)squeaking under (your; my) feet. Special love, huh? Perhaps you should have a look at one of them to understand what I’m talking about.
    Музей мистецтв імені Богдана та Варвари Ханенків в Києві::Экспозиция (Музей мистецтв імені Богдана та Варвари Ханенків в Києві::Экспозиция)
    Lol, I can see two pieces of Rembrandt’s (graphic; art) here.
    “Musem” was a typo, thank God. I understand the rest of your corrections except of this one. Why couldn’t I say “looked up” instead of ”researched”? I meant clicking Rembrandt’s name only in the web and going through his works briefly.

And I think that “Perhaps you might like to have a look at one of them to understand what I’m talking about” would be much better.

When did you use to draw? I guess drawing is not the same as painting. Do you really mean drawing? Were you doing well in that? Why did you quit it? I suppose your present occupation as an embroider has something in common with your love for drawing, right?

Lena
    In the sentence you're referring to, I said "I thought" because I was referring to a thought I had in the past. The past tense of "think" is "thought"....so, "I thought you said...".
    But I suppose you keep believing him to be a good artist even now. If so, you mislead me by saying "I thought", right?

Lena

Well, your use of “that elegant” is correct. To say “so elegant” would be incorrect. I can’t think of a grammatical rule that prohibits its use, but I would say that “so” is most often used as a transitional word in conversation, “So, what do you think about that?” or “I think so.” To say “so
    elegant” would sound uneducated. A better substitute would be “as elegant” in comparison; for instance, “That blue dress is not as elegant as the red dress.” You could also introduce the comparison in a previous sentence as in, “The blue dress is beautiful. I also think the red dress is not as elegant (as the blue dress).”
    How come? I can hear “She is so beautiful” and like this at every step!

I know about comparisons. Yet I have a question on them, too. Is “That blue dress is not so elegant as the red dress” that common also?

Почтенный гражданин
    “Musem” was a typo, thank God. I understand the rest of your corrections except of this one. Why couldn’t I say “looked up” instead of ”researched”? I meant clicking Rembrandt’s name only in the web and going through his works briefly.

And I think that “Perhaps you might like to have a look at one of them to understand what I’m talking about” would be much better.

When did you use to draw? I guess drawing is not the same as painting. Do you really mean drawing? Were you doing well in that? Why did you quit it? I suppose your present occupation as an embroider has something in common with your love for drawing, right?

If you used "looked up", you would have had to say what you looked up, such as "I could have looked up some art before answering...". Saying "researched" didn't require more information, though I would say that I think the best solution to that sentence would have been, "I could have looked up some art...". It's more familiar for our level of conversation, and friendly, I think. Sort of a matter of tone.

I'll tell you more about my own experience with art in another letter....

Почтенный гражданин
    But I suppose you keep believing him to be a good artist even now. If so, you mislead me by saying "I thought", right?
    I can see what you're saying...though I'd say that generally the context dictates the clarity of the thought...that I think the artist was notable, and I'm expressing a past thought of mine. My use of "Another artist..." suggests that I'm making a solid comparison of the skill. Here is where I think English differs a lot from Russian. Russian does require clarification in the sentence....often English is implied or understood in context. Maybe that's what you meant by saying English is analytical, and Russian is synthetical.

Lena
    If you used "looked up", you would have had to say what you looked up, such as "I could have looked up some art before answering...". Saying "researched" didn't require more information, though I would say that I think the best solution to that sentence would have been, "I could have looked up some art...". It's more familiar for our level of conversation, and friendly, I think. Sort of a matter of tone.
    You mean using "look up" without the direct object is incorrect? I'm always supposed to mention what I want to look for?

Почтенный гражданин
    How come? I can hear “She is so beautiful” and like this at every step!

I know about comparisons. Yet I have a question on them, too. Is “That blue dress is not so elegant as the red dress” that common also?
    The use of "so" in that sentence would be correct...it expresses that the adjective is noted to a great degree. Similar to "чрезвычайно". The use of "so" as a means of comparison is improper. There you're mistaking the word "so" for the word "as". To write that sentence, one would say,"That blue dress is not as elegant as the red dress." It's a common mistake, really. We have a term called "rednecks" which basically means "uneducated". One sounds "redneck" to say "That dress is not so elegant as..."...lol.

Почтенный гражданин
    You mean using "look up" without the direct object is incorrect? I'm always supposed to mention what I want to look for?
    That's correct. But remember, it's in the past tense, so you'd say "...looked up some art.." in that case, not "...I could have look up some art...".

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast