Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for language exchange

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Helenej View Post
    Kevin, did you write down the lyrics by yourself listening to the song or did you copy it from anywhere?
    I wrote them down listening to the song. Of course, you know how songs can be...sometimes the words are not too clear. This one was okay, not difficult to understand. I enjoyed listening to it

Почтенный гражданин
    Это тикая суббота. Я пригласил другом к рождественскому праздику в последнем месяце. Сейчас я слушаю в музике. Один из моих любимых музикальных групп Rush. Я слушал в них с тех пор я в детстве.

It’s a quiet Saturday. A friend invited me to a Christmas party next month. Right now I’m listening to music. One of my favorite music groups is Rush. I’ve listened to them since I was young.

Этот интересным, музикальный диолог, который вы послал. Разговор пар было хорошим примером уютного английский. Разве вы заметил использование из “you know” в диологе? Этот словесное соединение, которое вы должены скупо употреблять. Иногда это сообщает плохие говорашие способности, и иногда это уютная принадлежность к языку. Я употребляю время от времени в своих писаниях, а не часто.

That music dialogue you sent was interesting. The couple’s conversation was a good example of comfortable English. Did you notice the use of “you know” in the dialogue? That is a word combination you probably should use sparingly. Sometimes it conveys bad speaking skills, sometimes it’s a comfortable add-on to language. I use it now and then in writing, but not often.

Здесь ещё один фото вместе с мойм отецом, братом, и зяте. Этот сняло на празднике. Мы с удовольствием иногда поварить наружу, особенно когда мы приготавливаем морепродуктов. Вам нравится морепродукты?

Here is another picture of me with my father, and brother, and brother-in-law. This was on a holiday. We like to cook outside sometimes, especially when we have seafood. Do you like seafood?

Gene Andy Kyler Kevin.5.28.07.6-19-12-16-08-28.jpg

Я заметил то, что Израиль и Палестина опять сражаются. Этот к сожалению. Очень много существуют того, чтобы терять все время от ненавистя. Я рад для того, что я там не живу.

I noticed that Israel and Palestine are fighting again. That is such a shame. There is so much to lose by hating all the time. I’m glad I don’t live there.

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcole View Post
    I wrote them down listening to the song. Of course, you know how songs can be...sometimes the words are not too clear. This one was okay, not difficult to understand. I enjoyed listening to it
    I forgot to tell you, Kevin, that I can find any lyrics in the internet. It was the dialogue that, I’m sure, I won’t be able to find anywhere. Thanks for your lyrics version, anyway. Yet one line seems to be more correct in the web version.
    Перевод песен Green Day: перевод песни Wake Me Up When September Ends, текст песни. Лингво-лаборатория Амальгама
    I mean “like my father’s come to pass”. What do you think about that? And the word “gone” in “your dreams and everything you wished for and you wanted, gone just like that” seems uncertain to me, too. He seem to utter something two-syllable here instead of "gone".
    Anyway, your using the term “garbled words” gladdens me. The fact that native speakers cannot hear all the words in their songs kind of inspires me. I don’t feel myself THAT dense. Though it sometimes happens to me with Russian, too. It’s natural.

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcole View Post
    That music dialogue you sent was interesting. The couple’s conversation was a good example of comfortable English. Did you notice the use of “you know” in the dialogue? That is a word combination you probably should use sparingly. Sometimes it conveys bad speaking skills, sometimes it’s a comfortable add-on to language. I use it now and then in writing, but not often.
    Very much the same here. We use “знаешь” much more often than it is necessary. I often catch myself overdoing the word “понимаешь?” which means “do you understand?” I’m sorry about that but my “speaking skills” are mainly applied in the kitchen when my people come home. My Russan is apparently not that of Lev Tolstoy.

Почтенный гражданин
    I mean “like my father’s come to pass”. What do you think about that? And the word “gone” in “your dreams and everything you wished for and you wanted, gone just like that” seems uncertain to me, too. He seem to utter something two-syllable here.
    Anyway, your using the term “garbled words” gladdens me. The fact that native speakers cannot hear all the words in their songs kind of inspires me. I don’t feel myself THAT dense. Though it sometimes happens to me with Russian, too. It’s natural.
    I thought there would be a difference on that one line "like my father's come to pass". I don't quite get that line, but it happens...lol. As you say, it's natural in any language to have discrepancies when listening to dialogue, or songs. When you write I like to give you room to be yourself, and use your own language as you see fit. I just try and correct tenses, or spelling, or if there's a large discrepancy in a word use; otherwise, I figure you know what you're trying to say and it's up to me to try and understand. Over time you'll get used to what is "normal" for English by comparing yourself to others.

Почтенный гражданин
    Very much the same here. We use “знаешь” much more often than it is necessary. I often catch myself overdoing the word “понимаешь?” which means “do you understand?” I’m sorry about that but my “speaking skills” are mainly applied in the kitchen when my people come home. My Russan is apparently not that of Lev Tolstoy.
    Well, I actually wish I had stumbled onto this site a long time ago and not spent the time I did reading literature that taught me things that native speakers don't really say. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble...lol. I almost feel as if I'm starting over. In some ways that's good, but it can be discouraging, too. I'm still trying to catch the knack of general conversation, but I'm trying

Lena
    It’s a quiet Saturday.
    Это тикая суббота.
    Сегодня у нас тихая, спокойная суббота.
    Тихий when applied to a day means either “not windy” or “not busy”. Still it doesn’t convey your meaning. That’s why I use two words together.

A friend invited me to a Christmas party next month.
    Я пригласил другом к рождественскому праздику в последнем месяце.
    Мой друг пригласил меня к себе праздновать рождество в следующем месяце.
    It’s the active voice. The passive voice is much more rarely used in spoken Russian. Like in English by the way, yet you use it more often than we do.
    Next = следующий, never последний.

Right now I’m listening to music.
    Сейчас я слушаю в музике.
    Сейчас я слушаю музыку.

One of my favorite music groups is Rush.
    Один из моих любимых музикальных групп Rush.
    Одна из моих любимых музыкальных групп - это Rush.

I’ve listened to them since I was young.
    Я слушал в них с тех пор я в детстве.
    Я слушаю их с детства.
    Present Pefect + since or for some time = present tense in Russian.

That music dialogue you sent was interesting.
    Этот интересным, музикальный диолог, который вы послал.
    Вы прислали интересный диалог в той песне.
    Музыкальный диалог = a dialog of two instruments or two voices that sing.

The couple’s conversation was a good example of comfortable English.
    Разговор пар было хорошим примером уютного английский.
    Разговор этой пары был хорошим примером того, как на самом деле говорят на английском.
    Couldn’t find a good equivalent. I doubt there is one.

Did you notice the use of “you know” in the dialogue?
    Разве вы заметил использование из “you know” в диологе?
    Вы обратили внимание на использование “you know” в этом диалоге?
    Заметить means to notice without any effort of you, without a thorough examining. Did you notice that red car in front of your house? I noticed tears in her eyes. That would be заметить. I had to pay more attention to the text to notice using of “you know” several times. I had to kind of analyze the text. That’s why I use обратить внимание.

That is a word combination you probably should use sparingly.
    Этот словесное соединение, которое вы должены скупо употреблять.
    Это то словосочетание, которое, вероятно, следует употреблять гораздо реже.
    Or even simpler
    Это словосочетание, вероятно, следует употреблять гораздо реже.
    or
    Этим словосочетанием, вероятно, не следует злоупотреблять.

Sometimes it conveys bad speaking skills, sometimes it’s a comfortable add-on to language.
    Иногда это сообщает плохие говорашие способности, и иногда это уютная принадлежность к языку.
    Иногда это свидетельствует о недостаточной культуре речи, а иногда это просто удобные вводные слова.
    How far off!!!

I use it now and then in writing, but not often.
    Я употребляю время от времени в своих писаниях, а не часто.
    Я иногда использую их, когда пишу, но не часто.

Here is another picture of me with my father, and brother, and brother-in-law.
    Здесь ещё один фото вместе с мойм отецом, братом, и зяте.
    Вот еще одно мое фото вместе с отцом, братом и зятем.
    Here is = Вот…
    You don’t need to stress out that it is YOUR father if you you say “MY picture”. It’s implied.

This was on a holiday.
    Этот сняло на празднике.
    Это было на празднике. или Это фото было сделано на празднике.
    You can leave the original content, saying “This was” = “Это было”.

We like to cook outside sometimes, especially when we have seafood.
    Мы с удовольствием иногда поварить наружу, особенно когда мы приготавливаем морепродуктов.
    Мы иногда любим готовить на улице, особенно морепродукты.
    Варить means to boil only, while to cook means all kinds of processing food: to boil (варить), to fry (жарить), to bake (печь), to roast (тушить).
    To say “особенно когда у нас есть морепродукты” sounds excessive.

Do you like seafood?
    Вам нравится морепродукты?
    Вам нравятся морепродукты?
    Морепродукты is plural, so нравятся.

I noticed that Israel and Palestine are fighting again.
    Я заметил то, что Израиль и Палестина опять сражаются.
    Я обратил внимание, что Израиль и Палестина опять воюют.
    I remarked on обратить внимание above.
    The word cражаться is emotional, not neutral. It emplies the speaker’s sympathy to those who fight.
    You can say Наши солдаты мужественно сражаются. But you can’t say Фашисты мужественно сражаются.

That is such a shame.
    Этот к сожалению.
    Я очень сожалею об этом.

There is so much to lose by hating all the time.
    Очень много существуют того, чтобы терять все время от ненавистя.
    Тратя время на ненависть, мы очень многое теряем.
    I withhold the subject and predicate causing suspense. Otherwise the phrase doesn’t sound well. Perhaps the long dangling participle surpresses the principle parts of the sentence, makes us to forget about them by the time we get to the end of hte sentence.

I’m glad I don’t live there.
    Я рад для того, что я там не живу.
    Я рад, что не живу там.

Почтенный гражданин
    When did you use to draw? I guess drawing is not the same as painting. Do you really mean drawing? Were you doing well in that? Why did you quit it? I suppose your present occupation as an embroider has something in common with your love for drawing, right?
    I forgot you had asked me these questions, Lena. Well, I did most of my art when I was younger in my twenties. I made drawings, as well as paintings. Most of them I destroyed, though. I wanted less of that as I grew older. I felt like I was dreaming too much, and not tending to the business of living. As I grew older, I found I had less to say, and therefore, less to draw. It’s been so long since I’ve done that, that it’s almost foreign to me now…lol. As far as my skill, I was average, I think. I had hoped to be better one day, but I got involved in business and left it behind. I thought perhaps one day I would do it again, but that day hasn’t come yet. You’re right that my skill helps me be a better embroider. The skill does have its advantages at times…

Lena
    You destroyed most of them. Might-have-been dreams. Sounds sad. That also means that you kept some of them.
    Do they hang on your walls or are hidden somewhere?

Почтенный гражданин
    You destroyed most of them. Might-have-been dreams. Sounds sad. That also means that you kept some of them.
    Do they hang on your walls or are hidden somewhere?
    I really only have two or three drawings, but I don’t display them. The way I see it, I was just moving on from where I had been, sort of looking for a fresh start. I did that, and it was important to me. I just never went back. But as I said, I’ve been thinking I might pick up painting again sometime. It’s just a notion. You know how it is…one has to make a living first.

Почтенный гражданин
    Я хотел послать ответу к несколько посланию на форуме, но я хочу, что вначале моё русское написание улучшит. Нам нужно тоже Лена, назначать время, чтобы сообшать по скайру. Я не забыл!

I’ve wanted to reply to some of the messages on the forum, but I want my Russian writing to be better before I do. We also need to set up a time to Skype, Lena. I haven’t forgotten!

Вам нравится прочитать темы о космонавтике? Какой вы думаете, верите ли существуют инопланетянинов? Я верю, что жизнь на ешё одной планете существуют, но мы этого уже не обнаруживаем. Я размышляю: разве они обнаруживают нас? Вы думаете, что они мирные?

Do you like to read things about space exploration? What do you think, do you believe aliens exist? I believe life on another planet exists, but we haven’t discovered it yet. I wonder: have they discovered us? Do you think they would be peaceful?

Мне радовалось, чтобы разговаривать об очень много вещах, как вы знаете! Наверное, мне интересно узнать какой у вас мысли. (I don’t have any idea how to translate this last sentence!)

I enjoy talking about a lot of different things, as you can tell! I’m truly interested in what your thoughts are. You know you’re more than welcome to respond in either English or Russian, whichever you prefer.

Я стараюсь не писать слишком много для того, чтобы у вас есть меньше сделать На Четверге, у нас есть праздник, и я ожидаю с нетерпением. Мы пригласили несколько друзей, и моя сестра будет приготовить нашу ед. Последний год и я приготовил нашу ед!

I’m trying not to write too much, so you don’t have a lot of work to do This Thursday will be our holiday, and I’m looking forward to it. We’ve invited several friends, and my sister is doing the cooking. Last year I did the cooking!

Lena
    I’ve wanted to reply to some of the messages on the forum, but I want my Russian writing to be better before I do.
    Я хотел послать ответу к несколько посланию на форуме, но я хочу, что вначале моё русское написание улучшит.
    Я хотел ответить на несколько сообщений на форуме. Но я хочу, чтобы сначала мой русский стал лучше.
    But remember that on the forum you will probably have to call people “ты” and to make your sentenses in the singular. As a matter of fact I don’t understand why you call me “вы”. After my ample poking fun at you and laughing together we should call each other “ты”. That is the way I see things. Though I am not having proplems with that here: I’ve always called you “you”.

We also need to set up a time to Skype.
    Нам нужно тоже, назначать время, чтобы сообшать по скайру.
    Нам нужно назначить время, чтобы поговорить по скайпу.
    Sure. Call my secretary, he handles my skype appointments. He will probably be able to set you up within the year.

I haven’t forgotten!
    Я не забыл!
    Don’t tell me tales, Kevin. It would take me way less time to get ready for a reception at Buckingham Palace than it takes you to skype. I don’t have any criticism of this sentence, though.

Do you like to read things about space exploration?
    Вам нравится прочитать темы о космонавтике?
    Вам нравится читать о космонавтике?
    Imperfective because you meant a repeated action.

What do you think, do you believe aliens exist?
    Какой вы думаете, верите ли существуют инопланетянинов?
    Вы верите, что инопланетяне существуют?
    Как вы думаете, вы верите… sounds strange and excessive. Perhaps it’s because you are asking about one of my mental processes (believing) through another mental process (thinking). Too contrived as for me and as for the Russian language. But grammatically “Как вы думаете, вы верите, что…” is quite correct.
    существуют инопланетяне? is not the same as инопланетяне существуют? The former means like, “do you believe aliens exist?”, while the latter means something like, “do you believe aliens really exist?” The former sounds like we were silent and you asked this question all of a sudden. You might just as well ask me about two-tailed cats at that moment. The latter is a natural question that comes out of “Do you like to read things about space exploration?” The word order makes difference here though it is not that important.

I believe life on another planet exists, but we haven’t discovered it yet.
    Я верю, что жизнь на ешё одной планете существуют, но мы этого уже не обнаруживаем.
    Я верю, что жизнь на других планетах существует, но мы пока ее не обнаружили. Good.

I wonder: have they discovered us?
    Я размышляю: разве они обнаруживают нас?
    Интересно, обнаружили ли они нас?
    I wonder = интересно = я хотел бы знать.
    The English present perfect should be conveyed by the past tense in Russian, except the constructions “I have lived here for years” or “I have lived here since 2010”.

Do you think they would be peaceful?
    Вы думаете, что они мирные?
    Как вы думаете, они миролюбивые?

I enjoy talking about a lot of different things, as you can tell!
    Мне радовалось, чтобы разговаривать об очень много вещах, как вы знаете!
    Мне нравится говорить о многом, как вы видите.

I’m truly interested in what your thoughts are.
    Наверное, мне интересно узнать какой у вас мысли.
    Мне, в самом деле, интересно узнать, что вы думаете.

You know you’re more than welcome to respond in either English or Russian, whichever you prefer.
    (I don’t have any idea how to translate this last sentence!)
    Me, too, because “you are welcome” has no equivalent in Russian.
    Вы можете отвечать или на английском, или на русском - как вам больше нравится.

I’m trying not to write too much, so you don’t have a lot of work to do.
    Я стараюсь не писать слишком много для того, чтобы у вас есть меньше сделать.
    Я стараюсь не писать слишком много для того, чтобы вам было меньше работы.

This Thursday will be our holiday, and I’m looking forward to it.
    На Четверге, у нас есть праздник, и я ожидаю с нетерпением.
    В четверг у нас праздник, и я жду его с нетерпением.
    Your sentence is good. Though you didn’t mention what you were looking forward to.

We’ve invited several friends, and my sister is doing the cooking.
    Мы пригласили несколько друзей, и моя сестра будет приготовить нашу ед.
    Мы пригласили несколько друзей, и моя сестра приготовит обед.

Last year I did the cooking!
    Последний год и я приготовил нашу ед!
    В прошлом году я приготовил праздничный обед.
    Last is both последний и прошлый. We use прошлый when we speak about time: в прошлом месяце, на прошлой неделе, в прошлом веке.

Вам нравится прочитать темы о космонавтике?
    Нам нужно ... , назначать время, чтобы ...
    Я размышляю: разве они обнаруживают нас?
    Kevin think of Russian verbs as of two-for-one things.
    We have perfective and imperfective aspects of verbs.
    Perfective conveys that the action happens once, or that it has happened and became or will become completed/finished.
    Imperfective means that the action is ongoing or repeating, the English equivalents are use to, would, keep doing, and the simple tenses like "I clean the floor myself", "I got up early when I was young", which imply the habitual order of things...

So that:
    "Вам нравится прочитать" sounds like "you like to finish reading"
    (perfective doesn't work because "прочитать" means "to be done reading" as opposed to the right option "читать", the corresponding ongoing action)

"нам нужно назначать" sounds like "we have to keep on setting up"
    (imperfective doesn't work because you have to set up a time only once, should be perfective)

"разве они обнаруживают нас" sounds like "if they go on finding us out"
    (should've been perfective because they are supposed to have discovered us only once)

Something like that.

Lena gave all the right answers, compare and analyze.

My best wishes!
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    Kevin think of Russian verbs as of two-for-one things.
    That's good advice Medved. I'll try to think more critically on how I use my verbs. I think I'm improving, but slowly...lol.

Почтенный гражданин
    Ха ха...праздник сегодня законченно. Мы все радуем! Это всегда хорошо то, что видить друзей и семена.

Ha ha…the holiday is over now. We all had a great time! It’s always good to see friends and family.

В последном писме ты была интересно узнать то, что почему я ещё исползоваю «вы». Ну, это примерно от почтения потому, что ты была как мне преподаватель и я думал, что ты это предпочитаешь. Между прочим, это был хорошая практику для меня. Но сейчас я буду изменять на тебя.

In your last letter you wondered why I still used вы. Well, it’s mainly out of respect since you’ve been the teacher, and I thought it was what you preferred. Besides, it’s been good practice for me. But now I’ll switch to ты.

Как ты знаешь, здесь в Америке футбол – это развлечение. Лично я не огромный фанат, хотя, я иногда это смотреть. В этом времени, у нас есть чемпионский игры.

As you know, football is a pastime here. I’m not a big fan, myself, though I watch it sometimes. This time of year they have championship games.

Юбилей родителя в воскресении. Они были женил так долго, что трудно воображать один без другого.

My parents wedding anniversary is Sunday. They’ve been married so long it’s hard to imagine one without the other.

Lena

Почтенный гражданин
    Это было очень приятно, что я к вам поговорил, Лена. Спасибо, что ты сделал разговаривание легким Я думаю, что ты преуменьшаешь себя и вашу способность.

It was great to talk to you last night, Lena. Thank you for making it very easy I think you do underestimate yourself and your ability.

Теперь почти к концу году. После конца года, в Америке, мы заплатим наш налоги...ха ха. Очень много люди жалуются, но лично я об этом не заботился. Это не очень трудный груз.

It’s almost the end of the year now. After that all Americans pay their taxes for the year…ha ha. Many people complain, but I never worried about it, myself. It’s not that heavy a burden.

Я думаю, что я ошибся про вашу имя...Helene, вероятно, приятно перевод потому, что ваша имя Елена, а не Элена. Я не считал правильным произнесение....ха ха. Я был рад, что сказать к вам по-русски. Это было новое событие.

I think I made a mistake about your name…Helene is probably an adequate translation for you, because your name is Елена, and not Элена. I did not consider the pronunciation correctly…ha ha. I enjoyed speaking Russian with you. It was a new experience

Когда я смотраю в телевизоре, мне нравится смотреть в научных каналах. Ты узнаешь квантовую механики? Я думаю, что этих темы очаровательны. Это сложно, но интересно.

When I watch TV, I like to watch science channels. Are you familiar with quantum mechanics? I find that subject fascinating. It’s complicated, but interesting.

Lena
    It was great to talk to you last night.
    Это было очень приятно, что я к вам поговорил.
    Было очень приятно поговорить с тобой вчера.

Thank you for making it very easy
    Спасибо, что ты сделал разговаривание легким.
    Хорошо, что с тобой так легко говорить.
    I cannot imagine what exactly I did to make the conversation easy. So the expressing of gratitute makes no sense in this case.

I think you do underestimate yourself and your ability.
    Я думаю, что ты преуменьшаешь себя и вашу способность.
    Я думаю, что ты действительно недооцениваешь себя и свои способности.

It’s almost the end of the year now.
    Теперь почти к концу году.
    Год почти заканчивается.

After that all Americans pay their taxes for the year.
    После конца года, в Америке, мы заплатим наш налоги.
    После этого все американцы платят налоги.
    Present tense.

Many people complain, but I never worried about it, myself.
    Очень много люди жалуются, но лично я об этом не заботился.
    Многие жалуются, но я лично никогда не переживал об этом.

It’s not that heavy a burden.
    Это не очень трудный груз.
    Это не слишком обременительно.

I think I made a mistake about your name
    Я думаю, что я ошибся про вашу имя.
    Я думаю, что я ошибся относительно твоего имени.

Helene is probably an adequate translation for you, because your name is Елена, and not Элена.
    Helene, вероятно, приятно перевод потому, что ваша имя Елена, а не Элена.
    Вероятно, Helene - это правильный перевод его, потому что твое имя Елена, а не Элена.

I did not consider the pronunciation correctly.
    Я не считал правильным произнесение.
    Я не принял во внимание произношение.

I enjoyed speaking Russian with you.
    Я был рад, что сказать к вам по-русски.
    Мне понравилось говорить с тобой по-русски.

It was a new experience.
    Это было новое событие.
    Это был свежий опыт.

When I watch TV, I like to watch science channels.
    Когда я смотраю в телевизоре, мне нравится смотреть в научных каналах.
    Я люблю смотреть научно-популярные каналы по телевизору.

Are you familiar with quantum mechanics?
    Ты узнаешь квантовую механики?
    Ты знакома с квантовой механикой?
    Mmm… It’s seems like light is conveyed by quanta. Umm… That might as well be all.

I find that subject fascinating.
    Я думаю, что этих темы очаровательны.
    Я считаю, что это увлекательная тема.

It’s complicated, but interesting.
    Это сложно, но интересно.
    Whoo!

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Many people complain, but I never worried about it, myself.
    Очень много люди жалуются, но лично я об этом не заботился.
    Многие жалуются, но я лично никогда не переживал об этом.
    It should be

Многие жалуются, но я лично никогда не переживаю об этом.

I think the Past Simple substitutes for the Present Perfect in your original sentense according to the “economy of speech efforts” rule. So there should be present tense in Russian. I was wrong with my previous version.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    I think the Past Simple substitutes for the Present Perfect in your original sentense according to the “economy of speech efforts” rule. So there should be present tense in Russian. I was wrong with my previous version.
    "Sentense" is incorrect spelling, Lena. It should be "sentence"

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast