Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for language exchange

Lena
    Wow, I like those very much. I thought it was absolutely different. To be honest I was skeptical and was like, "What a man can embroider?"
    Do you know what words occured to me the minute I saw it? They are: nice, beautiful, delicate, elegant, graceful, precise, stylish, exquisite, calligraphy, hierogliph, great idea about letters, and "I want that, too!!!" When I let another appartment, Kev, I’m gonna order you half a dozen, ok? Listen, what if we launch a joint-stock company? We can call it "Kevin&Co". We could start a retail chain here in Ukraine trading your things. I’m sure they’ll go like hot cakes.

Do you make the whole pillow or only embroider it?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Wow, I like those very much. I thought it was absolutely different. To be honest I was skeptical and was like, "What a man can embroider?"

Do you make the whole pillow or only embroider it?
    lol....well, myself, I only do embroidery. My sister sews the pillows together. It is a nice way to embellish a room or chair. Some people like designs, others like their initials. There are a lot of possibilities. I like being creative about it Sounds like you've got an entrepreneurial spirit...lol

Lena
    Myself, I only do embroidery. My sister sews the pillows together. It is a nice way to embellish a room or chair. Some people like designs, others like their initials. There are a lot of possibilities. I like being creative about it
    Actually we have towels on sale here with names embroidered on them, but I have never seen pillows. Besides those are factory-made towels and they are definitely faceless in a way. Having a pillow hand-made именно (?) for you is absolutely different. That stresses out a person’s being unique, causes warm feelings. Besides, that must make them feel important and excites their vanity. This idea will definitely work for people. Especially if one is allowed to take part in creating it. I would surely feel nice if while ordering it I were asked, “What style would you like the letter be, regular or Gothic?” I wonder in what way your clients take part in creating things for them?
    Sounds like you've got an entrepreneurial spirit...lol
    Honest, no. I feel I only could join someone in business. I don’t feel like doing that alone, especially in the Ukrainian realities. I’m certain that everyone in the permissive bodies wouldn’t be eager to see me with my intention to start a business. I guess they are too indifferent, hostile and cold and there is so much paper work about it. And then, as business would run, there inevitably will be problems with tax inspectorate, fire safety checks-up and all that stuff people always complain of. I would prefer being an employee or do some gray business when I can avoid getting officially registered. And certainly I must agree with your opinion that it would be best to live on interest.

Почтенный гражданин
    Actually we have towels on sale here with names embroidered on them, but I have never seen pillows. Besides those are factory-made towels and they are definitely faceless in a way. Having a pillow hand-made именно (?) for you is absolutely different. That stresses out a person’s being unique, causes warm feelings. Besides, that must make them feel important and excites their vanity. This idea will definitely work for people. Especially if one is allowed to take part in creating it. I would surely feel nice if while ordering it I were asked, “What style would you like the letter be, regular or Gothic?” I wonder in what way your clients take part in creating things for them?
    My clients usually get involved in the process of choosing style and look of their order. Generally any TrueType Font I have can be used to make an embroidery. My sister plans with them the fabric colors, shape, etc. She makes things like drapes, slip covers for chairs and sofas as well, so it's all designed with one goal in mind for color and style. For the most part though, I have trouble with my sister who doesn't want to grow larger as a business. She just wants to stay small and work with a private clientele. So that's an obstacle. I must say, though, Lena, I would think that with shipping costs these kinds of things would probably be too costly for you to sell there. I don't know what the average person would like to spend on such items there. Shipping must be a heavy burden on that, though.

I must say, though, Lena, I would think that with shipping costs these kinds of things would probably be too costly for you to sell there.
    Well if you ship like 100 towels at once, it won't be that pricey compared to shipping them one by one.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcole View Post
    I must say, though, Lena, I would think that with shipping costs these kinds of things would probably be too costly for you to sell there. I don't know what the average person would like to spend on such items there. Shipping must be a heavy burden on that, though.
    Damn! I forgot about shipping costs! Why didn’t you ever warn me of that? I’ve already taken on lease ten premises for boutiques in Kiev and the repair works are well under way. You are just killing me, Kev. What on earth shall I sell there now?

Почтенный гражданин
    Damn! I forgot about shipping costs! Why didn’t you ever warn me of that? I’ve already taken on lease ten premises for boutiques in Kiev and the repair works are well under way. You are just killing me, Kev. What on earth shall I sell there now?
    lol...very funny Well, Medved is right about larger shipments. Of course, cost is always a factor. I wonder what the average Ukranian would think is a reasonable cost for such items?

Lena
    Well, Medved is right about larger shipments. Of course, cost is always a factor. I wonder what the average Ukranian would think is a reasonable cost for such items?
    lol...very funny Well, Medved is right about larger shipments. Of course, cost is always a factor. I wonder what the average Ukranian would think is a reasonable cost for such items?
    Mmm...I don't have a slightest idea. Yours are hand-made and with their owners' embroidery on them, after all. They might be rather expensive, it depends on the client. There are lots of well-to-do people here, they would pay much more for hand-made towels with their initials, let alone pillows. And this niche seems to be vacant, especially as concerns pillows. I don't know, though. Yet factory-made towels are not expensive. You can have a glance at some of our domestic towels. $1=8,2 hryvna.
    С вышивкой ― Ярослав

Did you notice that the site of a major Ukrainian textile goods producer was in Russian only? It's the way Ukraine lives nowadays whatever others may say.

By the way, you call your things pillows. Aren't they cushions?

cushion is the British for pillow.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    cushion is the British for pillow.
    You think so? Then I have to alter my question. Aren't they bolsters?
    Thanks anyway, but let's wait for Kevin's "testimony".

Почтенный гражданин
    You think so? Then I have to alter my question. Aren't they bolsters?
    Thanks anyway, but let's wait for Kevin's "testimony".
    Generally cushions are seating, Lena....one would sit on a cushion. Pillow is an accessory, something to embellish, or lay one's head on while sleeping. A bolster is a specific shaped pillow...round and elongated. Saying "bolster" is much like knowing table etiquette...where the forks and knives go on the table. Many people commonly would just say pillow, others with more refined knowledge would call that shape a bolster pillow. That's my take on it all....lol

Почтенный гражданин
    Mmm...I don't have a slightest idea. Yours are hand-made and with their owners' embroidery on them, after all. They might be rather expensive, it depends on the client. There are lots of well-to-do people here, they would pay much more for hand-made towels with their initials, let alone pillows. And this niche seems to be vacant, especially as concerns pillows. I don't know, though. Yet factory-made towels are not expensive. You can have a glance at some of our domestic towels. $1=8,2 hryvna.
    С вышивкой ― Ярослав

Did you notice that the site of a major Ukrainian textile goods producer was in Russian only? It's the way Ukraine lives nowadays whatever others may say.

By the way, you call your things pillows. Aren't they cushions?
    That was an interesting site. Oh, btw, the pillows that I showed you my sister made, but I don't make towels. Those are bought, and then I embroider on them

Lena
    Generally cushions are seating, Lena....one would sit on a cushion. Pillow is an accessory, something to embellish, or lay one's head on while sleeping. A bolster is a specific shaped pillow...round and elongated. Saying "bolster" is much like knowing table etiquette...where the forks and knives go on the table. Many people commonly would just say pillow, others with more refined knowledge would call that shape a bolster pillow. That's my take on it all....lol
    Ok, now I see. Perhaps I should call back to all those people whom I used to tell that I usually napped on cushions by day and explain them that I'm not that weird.

Почтенный гражданин
    Ok, now I see. Perhaps I should call back to all those people whom I used to tell that I usually napped on cushions by day and explain them that I'm not that weird.
    lol...well, if we spent our time apologizing for every time we made a mistake we wouldn't have time for doing anything else

Почтенный гражданин
    Итак, как они идут, ваш обучения? Ты чувствуешь, что ты научаешься чего вам требуемым?

So, how are your English studies coming? Do you feel you’re learning what you need?

Простите, что я как часто не писал. У меня нет много писать в последнее время...ха ха. Я был читал другой день о феноменах вроде близкей смерти опытов. Думаешь ли, что такие вещей происходят? Мне итнересовалось опыт, но я думаю не существует доказательство об истине одного способа или другом.

Sorry I haven’t written as often. Haven’t had a lot to write about lately…haha. I was reading the other day about phenomena like near death experiences. Do you think that kind of thing happens? I’m interested in the experience, but don’t think there’s evidence about its validity one way or the other.

Я думаю, что несколько твоего правительственных опытах похожих на нас здесь. Можно здесь не как крайний, но ещё правительсвенный рабочий склоняет к неучтивости. К сожалению, что у вашей дочь такой неприятный опыт. Неучтивость плодит такая же вещь. Это страшно когда множество требуют такая же вещь. Это трудно быть справедливо, и рабочий склонят и стать вражеские.

I think some of your government experiences are similar to ours here. It may not be as extreme here, but still government employees tend to be impolite. I’m sorry your daughter had such a bad experience. Impoliteness only breeds the same thing. It’s terrible when there are multitudes that are needing the same thing. It’s hard to be fair, and employees tend to become hostile.

Lena
    So, how are your English studies coming?
    Итак, как они идут, ваш обучения?
    Ну и как продвигается твой английский?
    How can they be coming if all the time I have only been hanging out on the site poking fun at others and arguing about trifles? I actually think that I should slow down with such an activity and start learning the language more seriously. Do you know anyone who buys laziness?
    Besides, you never correct me.

Do you feel you’re learning what you need?
    Ты чувствуешь, что ты научаешься чего вам требуемым?
    Как ты думаешь, ты учишь именно то, что тебе нужно?

Sorry I haven’t written as often.
    Простите, что я как часто не писал.
    Извини, что не писал часто.
    Прости implies a deeper degree of fault or repentance. You could say прости if you had promised to write to me and knew that I have been waiting for your letters. Both прости и извини can be said if you tread on someone’s foot.

Haven’t had a lot to write about lately...haha.
    У меня нет много писать в последнее время.
    Мне не о чем было писать в последнее время.
    I got your irony, Kev.*****
    Present perfect + for or since or lately = past tense in Russian.

I was reading the other day about phenomena like near death experiences.
    Я был читал другой день о феноменах вроде близкей смерти опытов.
    На днях я читал о предсмертных ощущениях людей.
    Kevin, are you trying to cast melancholy over me on purpose? Actually I think it’s too early for you to be into such things, too.

Do you think that kind of thing happens?
    Думаешь ли, что такие вещей происходят?
    Как ты думаешь, люди чувствуют приближение смерти?
    Well, I’m trying not to waste time on pondering over it, but I promise, when I personally feel something of that kind I’ll let you know.

I’m interested in the experience, but don’t think there’s evidence about its validity one way or the other.
    Мне итнересовалось опыт, но я думаю не существует доказательство об истине одного способа или другом.
    Меня интересует эта тема, но я не думаю, что существует какие-либо подтверждение этого.
    Quit this subject, Kevin, will you? A couple phrases more – and I myself will have to look for a good psychiatrist to get therapy.

I think some of your government experiences are similar to ours here.
    Я думаю, что несколько твоего правительственных опытах похожих на нас здесь.
    Думаю, что мы здесь сталкиваемся с похожим отношением со стороны государственных служащих.

It may not be as extreme here, but still government employees tend to be impolite.
    Можно здесь не как крайний, но ещё правительсвенный рабочий склоняет к неучтивости.
    Может быть, и не в такой резкой форме, но государственные служащие часто ведут себя невежливо.

I’m sorry your daughter had such a bad experience.
    К сожалению, что у вашей дочь такой неприятный опыт.
    Жаль, что твоей дочери пришлось с этим столкнуться.

Impoliteness only breeds the same thing.
    Неучтивость плодит такая же вещь.
    Невежливость вызывает только ответную невежливость.

It’s terrible when there are multitudes that are needing the same thing.
    Это страшно когда множество требуют такая же вещь.
    Ужасно, когда масса людей хочет одного и того же.

It’s hard to be fair, and employees tend to become hostile.
    Это трудно быть справедливо, и рабочий склонят и стать вражеские.
    Трудно оставаться вежливым, и служащие становятся недоброжелательными.

Почтенный гражданин
    Ну и я думаю время провожаешь на форум – это хорошо. Мне кажется, что ты живой, и каждый частица сообщения помогает вашего поиска знания. Я не был на скайпе. У вас есть в последнее время словесная практика?

Well, I think the time you spend on the forum is good for you. You seem to be active, and every little bit of communication you make helps your quest for knowledge. I haven’t been on Skype. Have you had any verbal practice lately?

Спорная обстановка в наше стране – узаконение марихуаны. Сейчас, по крайней мере, сушествуют два штат где приятно уметь марихуану, но запрещенно покупать или продать. Что ты думаешь? Ты поддержишь предложение сделать этого законный, или ты думаешь этого должен бы запрещенно?

A controversial situation in our country right now is the legalization of marijuana. There are at least two states now where it’s legal to have marijuana, but it’s illegal to buy or sell it. What do you think? Do you support the proposal to make it legal, or do you think it should still be banned?

Я не знаю если ты услышал новость, но здесь во Америке два трагедия в котором кто-то выстрелил многие людей. Это такое жаль. Я не знаю…(? Lol) У нас есть традиция которым люди владеют оружия, и ешё у нас проблем такого же стрелбы. Это печально.

I don’t know if you have heard the news, but here in America we’ve had two tragedies where someone has shot a lot of people. It’s such a shame. I don’t know how to make sense of it all We have such a long tradition of people owning firearms, yet we have such problems such as these shootings. It’s sad.

Lena
    I think the time you spend on the forum is good for you.
    Ну и я думаю время провожаешь на форум – это хорошо.
    Я думаю, что ты проводишь время на форуме с пользой.
    Sadly, I doubt that. If I were more purpousful I would benefit from it much more. I feel I mainly go there for entertainment. Shame on me.

You seem to be active, and every little bit of communication you make helps your quest for knowledge.
    Мне кажется, что ты живой, и каждый частица сообщения помогает вашего поиска знания.
    Похоже, ты принимаешь в нем активное участие, и общение помогает тебе в приобретении знаний.

I haven’t been on Skype.
    Я не был на (в) скайпе.

Have you had any verbal practice lately?
    У вас есть в последнее время словесная практика?
    У тебя в последнее время была разговорная практика?

A controversial situation in our country right now is the legalization of marijuana.
    Спорная обстановка в наше стране – узаконение марихуаны.
    Сейчас в нашей стране сложилась сложная ситуация с легализацией марихуаны.

There are at least two states now where it’s legal to have marijuana, but it’s illegal to buy or sell it.
    Сейчас, по крайней мере, сушествуют два штат где приятно уметь марихуану, но запрещенно покупать или продать.
    Сейчас, по крайней мере, в двух штатах разрешено употреблять марихуану, но запрещено покупать и продавать ее.
    Perhaps it should be added that purchasing cannabis is only allowed for themselves. Otherwise it’s not clear where people get it for consumption. I don’t know actually.

What do you think?
    Что ты думаешь?

Do you support the proposal to make it legal, or do you think it should still be banned?
    Ты поддержишь предложение сделать этого законный, или ты думаешь этого должен бы запрещенно?
    Ты поддерживаешь предложение легализировать ее или считаешь, что она должна по-прежнему оставаться под запретом?
    The present tense in used in the original sentence. Not a bad sentence in other regards. Quite understandable.

I don’t know if you have heard the news, but here in America we’ve had two tragedies where someone has shot a lot of people.
    Я не знаю если ты услышал новость, но здесь во Америке два трагедия в котором кто-то выстрелил многие людей.
    Не знаю, слышала ли ты эти новости, но здесь в Америке произошло две трагедии, в результате которых было расстреляно много людей.
    I can see the correct frame here, too.

It’s such a shame.
    Это такое жаль.
    Какая жалость. Or Мне так жаль.

I don’t know how to make sense of it all.
    Я не знаю
    Я не понимаю, какой был в этом смысл.
    Actually знаю is not the same as понимаю, but it’s better to use понимаю.

We have such a long tradition of people owning firearms, yet we have such problems such as these shootings.
    У нас есть традиция которым люди владеют оружия, и ешё у нас проблем такого же стрелбы.
    У нас существует давняя традиция иметь огнестрельное оружие, но тем не менее иногда возникают проблемы, подобные таким расстрелам.

It’s sad.
    Это печально.
    No critiques.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213