Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Occupy Wall Street around the world.... Your thoughts and feelings about it!

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkboom View Post
    It's clear to me that this is less about hearing what everyone has to say, and more about winning an argument, so I'll keep this concise, as i've already put three or four hours worth of work into this thread, and without much to show for it in the way of understanding each other.
    In my opinion this movement is about one purpose: to wake people up. Particularly, to wake up people who are saying things similar to what you're saying, and there are many. To respond to the occupy movement by saying: "you need to get a job and move out of mommy's bassement" seems to me to be as biased and ill-informed as telling black plantation slaves in the 1800s to "just get an education and get a real job."
    I'm leery to do this again: I swore I wouldn't get in another political debate on MR.com after the last one broke down so similarly - what happens next is, I try to describe the nature of the problem by explaining the common situation a lot of these people are going through; and the token republicans respond by telling me that it doesn't fit the description of THEIR life. I explain that jobs are requisite of education, that public/free education is a joke and doesn't GET jobs, that only those with the familial money to purchase education get tracked toward those jobs; then the republican tokens tell me that they got there through a grant and really hard work. I try to explain that the entire plane of business in america is corrupted and closed-door'd, that new businesses stand literally no hope in the face of these giant corporations that have enshadowed the entire playing field - Apple and the dread pirate Jobs own the cell-tech world, ConAgra owns the lion's share of the world's DNA, DuPont and AP own the world's political and commercial opinions, and so on. Then the republicans tell me about their own small business which they started (skipping neatly over the business college education they got and how it was paid for, and the hand-shaking they had to do with the existing businesses, the unions, the city and state governments, the special interests etc) .. They paint a Joe the Plumber picture that's really an extreme minority, but because somebody stands there and says "This is Everyman" x% of the readership believe him.
    I'm saying all this to communicate to you that THERE IS A PROBLEM. Just because the problem has been sitting in one place for awhile, and hasn't moved, it doesn't make it a phantasm - it's real. The people on the OUTSIDE of wall street today don't have Roth IRAs, Harvard degrees, penthouses, pension plans, college savings for their kids and Gerber plans.. The people INSIDE of wall street do. (And it's lost 20-odd% value (oh no!) - that's nothing compared to the guy who lost 100% of his place to live in the same 'wave of recession'.)
    At the end of the day, the problem is, capitalism is great, and I love the theory, but in practice - it's trumped by the injustice of a well-to-do individual munching on turkey legs while out the window, people are starving - that he wears italian sportcoats a few pockets shy of enough to hold his wallet, ipod, ipad bluetooth and blackberry; and the people outside keep their heads try with paper bags. The essence of the problem is, if there's no way toward success provided to a certain group of people, they're enslaved. And enslaved people WILL fight, and they'll be perfectly willing to die in the process, since it's often a better option to die fighting than to waste away unseen. It seems to me that if democrats would just accept the supine position of financial inferiority, and die off under the weight of their problems, that would be a fine solution for most republicans. if i had one, that would break my heart.
    Until those folks become willing to take the other half of the country on as their responsibility and comrades both, this is just going to be hatfield-and-mccoy stupidity.
    For this movement to accomplish goals, I will refrain: it needs a LEADER. I would say it needs a politician willing to represent its goals, and then find that the mob moves to the voting polls in support of this individual; but we got burned last time. I've watched for 4 years as every cotton-pickin thing Obama tried to do got shut down by the Republican army, both through legitimate means, and sneaky ones. And it's a wicked pisser because the whole time I knew that at the end of the four years, this same group would look at Obama's failed attempts as defeats that HE caused, when we all know better, we all watched him battle with the other branches of government in a stalemate that amounted to "blacklist: Obama". These people are a group of moneyed american elitists who never woke up from the H3 dream of the 90s, who wore Bush's tenure as president like a mink coat to protect them against all the madness of the world around them after 9-11, like some collective Scarlett O'Hara coming down the recession stairs in a curtain. And as opposed to join with the rest of their countrymen in achieving A SOLUTION THAT'S WORKABLE FOR EVERYONE, they have spent years throwing the bodies of american youth at the fire of the middle east like some crazed religious sacrifical priests, maybe hoping all the while to dwindle the population numbers that thwart their financial success by demanding those last few coveted pennies be allotted to feeding people who need food, and such other trivial democrat-ish things. Certainly they were hoping that by falling on outdated and defunct 50s-era callbacks like "military tradition" and "family values" that they would somehow revert the messed up world we live in back to the era of riding high on fossil fuel and commandeered assets from third-world countries. Apparently the new definiton of recession is the Hamptons maintain fiscal stasis while Brooklyn starves to death - and it surprises everyone that there's dissent about this?
    But it's still a moot point.. We couldn't have a leader now - where would we get one? - unless this went from protest to riot, and then it would be silenced in one quick mortar-blast fired by the 33% of our country who serve in the military and have received military training that employs techniques picked right up out of hitler camps - the sleep deprivation, nutritional deprivation, followed by political indoctrination in a brain-stressed state - so that doesn't lead us anywhere good, either.
    And if there was a gandhi in that crowd? well, you wouldn't notice him. you'd be busy assuming he lives in his parent's basement, and telling him to stop trying to get a buck off of you, and go get a haircut and a real job.
    Sigh... my sincerest apologies to Lampada for having to read through all my crud. feeling kind of guilty about that.
    Let's help you find a leader. If you ran an ad on Craig's list for a leader, what would it say?

Scott

That we should get jobs now [...]
    That's all nice, but HOW? WHO would create the jobs? The first option is - the entrepreneurs. The second option - the government.

The first option means someone should make a profit out of those people in the mob as well as bear all the risks of dealing with them. With all the due respect, only certain part of that crowd would qualify.

The second option means the rest of the public (i.e. not those who participate in the Wall Street gathering) should bear the risks and try to make profit (or know they would not make any profit) by doing what the private entrepreneurs consider too risky. Why would the rest of the public do that? Only to help those in need, correct? But, what fundamental difference would it make comparing with presently keeping those guys on relief? For the to-be employees that would obviously bring in more money and self-respect, but for the rest of the public that would equally be more expensive. Unless, of course, that the new enterprises would make a profit. But, what chance do have to make a profit? I'm inclined to say the chances are pretty slim. Otherwise, the private investment groups (who are constantly looking for the new ways of making money) would pick it up. A part of their job is to evaluate risks. So, that means the public is pushed forcefully into an enterprise which is likely to fail and pay more INDIRECTLY to get those people out of their basements. Speaking of the fair, is that fair?

Clearly, the CEOs are overpaid. Sure thing. So, become a CEO would you? Oh, it's difficult? Too much competition with lots of risks? Being legally liable to just about any word or action? Not a problem, but why to make those CEOs to be responsible for all the failures? Ok, so the recent recession was due to the banks handing out money with no diligent verification of income. Sure, but someone was bought into the idea of owning a property without the real ability to pay for it. And who that was? The CEOs? No. The bankers? No. It was the general public who took on a risky enterprise and failed. So, why not to gather around a corner of Elm Street and Pine Avenue and start protesting that the owners of those homes took too much risk and/or knowingly overpaid for their properties in an auction and let the prices go loose?

Fair is fair, right?

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    Let's help you find a leader. If you ran an ad on Craig's list for a leader, what would it say?

Scott
    It's seems others are not clear in the goals either:

Most Americans Uncertain About "Occupy Wall Street" Goals

Scott

It's seems others are not clear in the goals either
    Well-well, I guess the goal is pretty clear: to get the steam out of the tank. It's all about the banks conspiracy, you know...

Властелин
    You best get a leader and goals ASAP - I watched about 15 minutes of this:

OccupyPhiladelphia - live streaming video powered by Livestream

and most of the speakers are about their funding for school. Telling moment, when a Ron Paul supporter spoke and gave a time frame that a voter has to be registered in order to vote for Ron Paul. The very next speaker said if you had a brain that you wouldn't vote for Ron Paul - there was lot's of clapping for that speaker. Who's the name callers?

Scott

Властелин
    If they're against wall street, they support who for president?

Obama’s raised more money for Democrats from Wall Street donors than all Republican candidates combined

Interesting, eh?

Scott

Почтенный гражданин
    You best get a leader and goals ASAP - I watched about 15 minutes of this:

OccupyPhiladelphia - live streaming video powered by Livestream

and most of the speakers are about their funding for school. Telling moment, when a Ron Paul supporter spoke and gave a time frame that a voter has to be registered in order to vote for Ron Paul. The very next speaker said if you had a brain that you wouldn't vote for Ron Paul - there was lot's of clapping for that speaker. Who's the name callers?

Scott
    I'm not heading the movement, nor am I directly involved; I live in Arizona, about as far as you can get from NY stateside. I simply feel some sympathy and support toward the movement. That sentiment seems to be largely mixed in the world right now.

You can direct your advice to their official website, where their leaders or whatever can be found.. Occupy Wall Street | NYC Protest for American Revolution

Thanks for engaging me in debate and being willing to research all this info and share it with me. I appreciate it and I wish you the very best of luck.
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkboom View Post
    I'm not heading the movement, nor am I directly involved; I live in Arizona, about as far as you can get from NY stateside. I simply feel some sympathy and support toward the movement. That sentiment seems to be largely mixed in the world right now.

You can direct your advice to their official website, where their leaders or whatever can be found.. Occupy Wall Street | NYC Protest for American Revolution

Thanks for engaging me in debate and being willing to research all this info and share it with me. I appreciate it and I wish you the very best of luck.
    I asked you questions because you said you support the movement. Here's feeds of a bunch of them:

OccupyStream - All Occupy Wall Street Streams and IRC - Live Revolution

Thank you for your information. Enjoy and the best of luck to you too.

Scott

Glass–Steagall Act

Glass–Steagall Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A good place to start.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

"Since 1991 the CFTC has given secret exemptions from hedging regulations to 19 major banks and market participants, allowing them to accumulate essentially unlimited positions. [10] These exemptions were originally given in secret, coming to light only as the 2008 financial crisis unfolded and Congress requested information on market participants" Commodity Futures Trading Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hanna
    So really, what everyone is saying here is that people in the USA and Western Europe who are feeling oppressed and cheated should not have the same opportunity to protest as others, just because these countries are not considered by Western media to be evil dictatorships.

Obviously the Americans who started the protest feel seriously wronged... their living standard is bad ant they have no opportunities, all the while the Fed is supporting greedy banks and financing wars that are of no benefit to regular citizens...

SHould they not have the right to express their views on that?
    Seems to me, more people have been arrested in the US over this, than in the recent demos in Belarus, just as a comparison. Both Belarussians, Syrians, Europeans and Americans should be able to have a peaceful demonstration if they want.

In countries like Belarus, both the US and some European countries support the opposition financially and with lots of material and leadership training.

Imagine if China, Russia or someone else started pouring money over the Wall Street occupiers...

I just want the little neo-con gang here (you know who you are) to have that perspective.

Meanwhile, WWIII is closer and closer:
    In post-Soviet Tajikistan, for example, a predominately Muslim country, the government says it is concerned about the threat from radical Islam. It now has a "parenting" law that restricts the ability of young people under the age of 18 to attend mosques. There also is a campaign against women wearing the hijab and men growing beards.

A senior State Department official says the United States is concerned.

"What we said to our friends in the (Tajik) government is that these kinds of actions, first of all, undercut the ability of people to worship - their freedom to worship. But they also risk driving a lot of people underground and basically can be destabilizing," the official said.

Could Central Asia have an 'Arab Spring?' – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

So basically State Department says that there should not be barriers for people to become as radical islamic as they want. Do you know why?
    Because the US rulers organize the creation of a large radical islamic state in Northern Africa, Middle East & Central Asia which would start World War 3 in the name of Allah & which would help the US to get out of the debt crisis they are in. Again.
    About the U.S. Economy During WWII | eHow.com
    The Post War Economy: 1945-1960
    For Libya job is done already:
    New Libya to introduce 'radical Islamic law'.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...lamic-law.html
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    So really, what everyone is saying here is that people in the USA and Western Europe who are feeling oppressed and cheated should not have the same opportunity to protest as others, just because these countries are not considered by Western media to be evil dictatorships.

Obviously the Americans who started the protest feel seriously wronged... their living standard is bad ant they have no opportunities, all the while the Fed is supporting greedy banks and financing wars that are of no benefit to regular citizens...

SHould they not have the right to express their views on that?
    Seems to me, more people have been arrested in the US over this, than in the recent demos in Belarus, just as a comparison. Both Belarussians, Syrians, Europeans and Americans should be able to have a peaceful demonstration if they want.

In countries like Belarus, both the US and some European countries support the opposition financially and with lots of material and leadership training.

Imagine if China, Russia or someone else started pouring money over the Wall Street occupiers...

I just want the little neo-con gang here (you know who you are) to have that perspective.

I'm not clear where in this chain anyone said that the protestors cannot protest. I live in America - I totally support their right to protest.

Scott

So basically State Department says that there should not be barriers for people to become as radical islamic as they want. Do you know why?
    Because the US rulers organize the creation of a large radical islamic state in Northern Africa, Middle East & Central Asia which would start World War 3 in the name of Allah & which would help the US to get out of the debt crisis they are in. Again.
    That's just a thick trolling, isn't it?

Властелин

An interesting quote:
    "If one [company] suffers distress," says Glattfelder, "this propagates."

Now, when they've finally discovered it, what are they going to do about it?

Crucially, by identifying the architecture of global economic power, the analysis could help make it more stable. By finding the vulnerable aspects of the system, economists can suggest measures to prevent future collapses spreading through the entire economy. Glattfelder says we may need global anti-trust rules, which now exist only at national level, to limit over-connection among TNCs. Sugihara says the analysis suggests one possible solution: firms should be taxed for excess interconnectivity to discourage this risk.

Taxation won't help with TNCs - they simply move their assets to a more tax-friendly country. And I'm even ready to believe that:
    the super-entity is unlikely to be the intentional result of a conspiracy to rule the world. "Such structures are common in nature," says Sugihara.

The question remains - the whole world's economy rotates around these 1500 companies. How can anyone de-centralize it? What must be done? Or we should all agree and accept the fact that our lives and the lives of our children will depend on this limited number of companies? Now and forever?
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Властелин
    OWS in Chicago (a photo essay)

Blog: OWS in Chicago (a photo essay)

Scott

the super-entity is unlikely to be the intentional result of a conspiracy to rule the world. "Such structures are common in nature," says Sugihara.
    In the connectivity analysis, it seems to me that the researchers have done a deductive work, that can be verified. This is information.

In the other conclusion, there is no support either way, nor in any way, no evidence for any conclusion about intentions, motivations, conspiracies, or anything of that sort. It is disinformation. Proving or disproving intention or motivation requires different types of evidence than the authors have presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post

♪♫ "Nobody shouts or talks too loud,
    Not in my castle on a cloud..." ♪♫

Seriously, the "snapshot" of the OWS chick getting arrested has to be the most stagiest-est staged photo in the history of staged photos...
    nulle likes this.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast