Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Economic Sanctions against Russia and Russia’s Retaliatory Trade Measures

Quote Originally Posted by ninamasji View Post
    Vladimir Putin is ok. I analyzed the events in Ukraine. It was a provocation. Analogous to this is what you call an insult to Russian culture. If you come visit Russia and the folks invite you to drink vodka, do not leave the crowd until you and the folks have finished the bottle of vodka. You're acting bourgeoisie if you do that.
    Putin is okay for oligarchs, banks and brainwashed people.

This is what he's good for:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/pu...200700766.html

Russia Brain Drain Putin Ukraine Crimea - Business Insider

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...s-pension-fund

He's good for destroying Russian culture, provoking ethnic Russians to leave and for inviting migrants in. That's okay for many, it seems.

Hanna
    Well I bought some Russian shares for my pension fund on Monday.
    No doubt they will be back to previous levels within 1-2 years maximum, so for me, this is a good deal.
    My only worry about this is that Russian companies de-list from the London Stock Exchange.
    There wasn't a lot to choose from so I bought Sistema, Gazprom and Magnit.

However I am very sorry that this is affecting Russia. What's happened is deeply unfair and corrupt. Basically Saudi acting on US orders to hurt Russia and Iran by bizarre manipulation of the oil prize.

In the meantime, hysteria in Sweden about Russia is 10 times higher than ever in my lifetime.
    It's beyond a joke. It's total insanity. It's a tragi-comedy.
    A lot of people are actually falling for it, particularly young people.

Anyone who just accepts media stories will believe that Russia is actually planning to invade Sweden shortly.
    They make up various accusations about planes, submarines illegally on Swedish territory.

They are actually planning to re-call guys who did their military service 10 years ago on a refresher drill "due to the hostile threat from abroad".

Those who are still able to think critically and aren't paralysed by irrational fear of Russia realise that there is manipulation going on. We are pushed into the arms of NATO probably and already half way in. It makes me sick.

Tragic to see that my country has totally lost its independence and is now a puppet operated from Washington and Brussels.

As for the unmentionanable country starting with a U.....
    A tragedy beyond belief to see what it looks like now.

I just want to tell Russians: There are plenty of thinking people in Europe (and the USA, I think) who realise that you are being the victim of a very nasty conspiracy at the moment. I don't think Russia deserves this at all. Russia is being punished for not being the loser country it was in the 1990s anymore. I am not worried in the least about the alleged "aggressiveness" of Russia and I think Russia is behaving with integrity, more or less.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Basically Saudi acting on US orders to hurt Russia and Iran by bizarre manipulation of the oil prize.
    It is a possibility but to me it seems unlikely.

Anyone who just accepts media stories will believe that Russia is actually planning to invade Sweden shortly.
    They make up various accusations about planes, submarines illegally on Swedish territory.
    They are actually planning to re-call guys who did their military service 10 years ago on a refresher drill "due to the hostile threat from abroad".
    Hanna and UhOhXplode like this.

Who cares about Sweden?

Swedes.

Hanna
    Sorry if I am boring anyone with this. I can only talk about what I know, and I am not the Russia expert here, the Russians are....

Personally I am interested in the view that people have of my country abroad, and I would have thought that that goes for people of other nationalities too.

Yeah that video (heard of it) would be funny if this wasn't taken completely seriously.
    How can anyone believe this kind of talk, when it's so completely ludicrous.
    I feel like I'm in North Korea or something, with the level of propaganda going on.

There is a kind of a national debating forum for Sweden and they had to create a separate section just for crazy stuff about Russia. People are totally obsessed with this and have lost all sense of perspective.
    https://www.flashback.org/f484
    It just goes to show what a well orchestrated media campaign can achieve.

I think there is plenty legitimate criticism against Russia that could be discussed - it's not a perfect country, but I think the odds of Russia invading Sweden is about as likely as Martians landing on my balcony tomorrow.

A few days ago it was discovered that somebody put up a fake mobile phone transmitter in the parliament quarters of town, so that all politicians telephones could be tapped. Immediately everybody is convinced it's Russia doing this. Despite the fact that the country that the USA is the country with a proven recent history of doing this... Not saying that Russia couldn't have done it, but it could be any other country, a newspaper looking for scoops or whatever. Why point a finger until there is proof?

It's actually scary to live in a situation where there is no respect for logic and truth as propaganda is dished out and people around you just lap it up. Normally the agitation or whatever you want to call it, is about "politically correct" causes, like anti-racism, homosexual rights, femininsm or whatever. In my childhood it was anti-imperialism. Annoying, but at least they mean well; they believe these are positive causes to make people believe in.

But now there is agitation about an actual enemy, a whole nation that is just pointed out as the evil empire from which nothing good can come. Despite there being no realistic proof or threat! It's gone too far! This is the tactics of aggressive dictatorships!! It's hard to accept that it's going on under my nose.
    I am getting Nazi Germany vibes from this level of hysteria against another country.

I think the paranoia is worse regarding this, even than in Poland... Maybe not the Baltic States, but at least they have some kind of legitimate reason and history for being Russophobes. We don't. And when it comes to Poles I think they know Russia a bit better than most Swedes do, who are quite prone to believe any proposterous lie about Russia, just because they have no direct experience themselves.

Почтенный гражданин
    Yeah that video (heard of it) would be funny if this wasn't taken completely seriously.
    It's ok. It's a new game of the world: to be afraid of Russia. Who is afraid more will get some "made in USA cookies"™
    I personally see nothing wrong if Swedes would want to brush up their military defense capabilities.

Hanna
    No doubt they will be back to previous levels within 1-2 years maximum, so for me, this is a good deal.
    My only worry about this is that Russian companies de-list from the London Stock Exchange.
    There wasn't a lot to choose from so I bought Sistema, Gazprom, VBT bank and Magnit.

Blimey! This was Monday. Sistema shares went up by 150% since then. Magnit with 9%. I made £3500 for my pension fund in 4 days, just from buying random Russian shares. Спасибо вам, Владимир Владимирович! I got an email from the account manager warning me about insider trading. LOL! I dont know anything, just need to keep the money in that fund invested and I never have any clue what to buy. My strategy is BRICs, technology and energy.
    Or should I thank America for orchestrating this insanity in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by hddscan View Post
    It's ok. It's a new game of the world: to be afraid of Russia. Who is afraid more will get some "made in USA cookies"™
    I personally see nothing wrong if Swedes would want to brush up their military defense capabilities.
    Well it is insane, since the destroyer of nations, is the USA, whether it's via invasion like the Middle East, or orchestrating a coup d'etat or civil war (UA, Syria, Libya.....)

Personally I think Russia's behaviour is predictable and restrained and I can't help admiring what Putin did with Crimea because it was incredibly slick. Ukraine brought that upon itself by pure stupidity. Besides, they should have seen that coming and had a plan for it.

And even if Russia did become aggressive, Sweden has nothing that Russia could possibly want - not even an ice free port to the Atlantic. There is just zero credibility in this proposterous tin foil conspiracy.

I am just really, really paranoid that Sweden will be pushed into NATO. Not only would it be awful for Sweden (and Finland) but it would actually piss off a certain bear completely unnecessarily and create a really unpleasant situation pf suspicion where none needs to exists.

There is a small section maybe 5% who say they'd love to be invaded by Russia to stop mass immigration, Pride parades, radical feminism, and they believe it would be fun to be conscripted to the Russian army since it is a "real" army and some other ideas along those lines. They believe a republic in the RF is no worse off than a country in the EU. Mostly young right wing men have this view.

I thought we were done with the Cold War, but some people just couldn't leave a dead man in his grave.....

There wasn't a lot to choose from so I bought Sistema, Gazprom and Magnit.

Forget about them.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge_spb View Post

Forget about them.
    I understand she had already converted all her savings to Russian rubles

Quote Originally Posted by xXHoax View Post
    Swedes.
    Where?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    LOL!

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Russian View Post
    Where?!?
    There used to be a guy from Sweden on this forum, Fester, he was okay. I mean, I've always had a lot of respect for the Swedes as a nation, and he wasn't an exception. But there's one more person from that country on this forum, that continuously tries to change my mind about that nation with her every post on any political thread. But she's not doing a good job. =))

There used to be a guy from Sweden on this forum, Fester, he was okay. I mean, I've always had a lot of respect for the Swedes as a nation, and he wasn't an exception. But there's one more person from that country on this forum, that continuously tries to change my mind about that nation with her every post on any political thread. But she's not doing a good job. =))
    Yes, and I think there is another one but I think he's young, a student? What I found, is that most Swedes are 'leftys' or they are 'far-left' so the thing about being cautious or paranoid about what Russia is doing is just a distratction to their inevitable problems their government is doing. If you are worried about something else, you'll focus less attention on what is really serious. Sweden is under America's/Israel (sorry, mate ) hegemony so they don't have to fear Russia whatsoever in that regard. The plane events are just geopolitical stunts as long as no one makes any fatal mistakes. It's still childish and foolish but hey, governments are always doing stupid, foolish things, even to make a PR stunt.

Hanna

Forget about them.
    Are you crazy! This is the best investment I've made in my life other than some China shares.
    Система gained 153% in 5 days and it's trading at less than 25% of the value from last year.
    I will make over 1000% profit on this, when the Russian economy goes back to the level of last year. And that will absolutely happen before my retirement for goodness sake. (It's a self invested pension plan) I can't lose.

I wonder if Hanna or anyone else here are able to see the connection between:

1. "System" shares growing from 6 to 14 roubles (!) in one day, 18 December
    (check АФК Система, акция обыкновенная. , section "График архивных значений..."

.... and this

2. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6b5cd064-8...44feabdc0.html

(Russian investigators release billionaire Vladimir Yevtushenkov - December 17, 2014 7:54 pm)

Russian economy is like: Putin said smth, shares go up, Putin said smth else - shares go down. Anyone notable got arrested
    (ordinary thing for Russia - google Yukos history) - shares plunge immideately.

In a long term perspective that is extremely risky choice. Since "АФК Система" contatains "Rosneft" oil company.
    And you can`t predict if oil prices will go up. I believe, they won`t. Even in 1-2 years.

Same with Gazprom.

P.S. You can keep "Magnit", though. That`s a great company. (Food retail: stable and fast growing)

[I

Russian economy is like: Putin said smth, shares go up, Putin said smth else - shares go down. Anyone notable got arrested

In a long term perspective that is extremely risky choice. Since "АФК Система" contatains "Rosneft" oil company.
    And you can`t predict if oil prices will go up. I believe, they won`t. Even in 1-2 years.
    Don't worry.... Putin is an economic mastermind.... in 2 years, all will be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q5KBPHxkP4

Putin bails out his friends... while Russian serfs (i.e. citizens) deal with rising prices and struggle, financially...

Putin Gives $8 Billion Contracts To Sanctioned Russian Oligarch Friends - Business Insider

"Companies linked to Russian billionaire Arkady Rotenberg and Gennady Timchenko, both close allies of Russian President Vladimir Putin, were given contracts worth 309 billion roubles (£3.6 billion, $8.1 billion) since western sanctions were imposed on the men in March.

SMP Bank, which is also subject to sanctions and unable to trade with companies in the EU and the US, received a 10-year state loan of about 100 billion roubles at an interest rate of 0.51%, according to Bloomberg. The money was provided under the condition that Rotenberg's firm rescue another Russian bank, Mosoblbank, which had fallen into difficulties."
    Serge_spb likes this.

Властелин

I wonder if Hanna or anyone else here are able to see the connection between:

1. "System" shares growing from 6 to 14 roubles (!) in one day, 18 December
    (check АФК Система, акция обыкновенная. , section "График архивных значений..."

.... and this

2. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6b5cd064-8...44feabdc0.html

(Russian investigators release billionaire Vladimir Yevtushenkov - December 17, 2014 7:54 pm)

Same with Gazprom.

P.S. You can keep "Magnit", though. That`s a great company. (Food retail: stable and fast growing)
    I had no idea about that guy, but that 150% growth in a day did seem extremely strange to me. Even if there was no sanctions/oil/currency rates background, such growth alone would look pretty suspicious, and I would probably refrain from becoming a shareholder of such a company. It's an indicator of something serious going on in its internals. I think you're right about this - there's no correlation between that temp growth and the value of its shares in a long term perspective.

Btw, isn't that dude on the pic the ruler of a country where $1 is traded for more than 10,000 in their local currency?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast