Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Economic Sanctions against Russia and Russia’s Retaliatory Trade Measures

Hanna
    Sistema is a telecoms & IT company.

Of course that's going to grow in Russia, it's a government strategy in RU to grow this kind of industry, plus Russia is overall a growth market, as a BRIC country.
    It doesn't have to grow immediately - my retirement is over 25 years off!
    I didn't know about the CEOs stint in prison or about him being released. I wasn't looking for quick profit.

The only risk I see with investing in Russia, is that the Communist party wins the election and starts to de-privatize or confiscate businesses without regard for the shareholders. Or that Russia's enemies manage to orchestrate some kind of neocon revolution and puts a pro-West puppet in charge of Russia. I think the chance of either thing happening is small.

Also - with Russia, you have to actively monitor the shares. Quick takeovers seem very common in the CIS market

There is no way that any US sanctions can hold Russia down in a longer perspective! BRICs are the future economically and Russia is part of that. A temporary glitch will change nothing. Quite the opposite - now is the time to invest in Russia.

There are not a lot of Russian companies trading on the London stock exchange, and in some cases purchases go through dollar - Risky if the dollar crashes! When that happened, it will not recover since the dollar is a bubble.
    I bought something called "Raven Russia" too, apparently that's a property company in Russia.

I have less than 10% exposure to Russia in this portfolio so the risk is very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    I had no idea about that guy, but that 150% growth in a day did seem extremely strange to me. Even if there was no sanctions/oil/currency rates background, such growth alone would look pretty suspicious, and I would probably refrain from becoming a shareholder of such a company. It's an indicator of something serious going on in its internals.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Sistema is a telecoms & IT company.
    No offends, but you should read first what do other post here. Not only write down your beliefs. It`s always kinda weird when someone not enough competent is trying to tell me what is going on in my own country.

АФК Система recently lost its large part - the oil company called Bashneft (I`ve made a mistake in earlier post, mixing its name). Which was purchased by Sistema in 2009. And got nothing in return. Welcome to Russia. That`s a real act of nationalization. It`s CEO finally got released (normal scheme for Russia: arrest for nothing->make him scared->take his company with no objections...) «Башнефть» перешла в собственность государства :: Бизнес ::

Yes, they still have got another notable active - MTS, the mobile operator. But don`t think that government or anyone else gives a sht about its future. Sistemas shares fell significantly since Evtushenkoves arrest and I doubt that without oil incomes they will ever recover. АФК Система, акция обыкновенная. [/url] (check them in 3 years perspective - График архивных значений.... on АФК Система, акция обыкновенная. ). MTS is not the only major operator, btw, others are Megafon, Beeline and Tele2. If MTS will disappear one day - no one will suffer much.

And concerning communists - a complete laughter. Obviously you don`t understand the Russian reality. Because they will never win any elections. Simply because we don`t have any elections. And, moreover, there are few real communists in Russia these days. That`s a fake party. The real risk of turning to mass nationalisations and plain economy ended with 1993 political crisis. They won`t have any chance to rule the country in old-faschoned manner. So funny, that many europeans don`t get that. Russians would better support Putin than those clowns.

There is no way that any US sanctions can hold Russia down in a longer perspective!
    The country is falling into big big trouble fast. Since you still do not see the real problems of russians economy - I feel sorrow for you. I wrote enough in my neighbour thread. Sanctions are nothing but a catalyzer. There even was no need for USA to try hard (just like in 1991).

Hanna
    Yes Serge, duh!!

if I thought the communists were going to win any elections, I would hardly invest in Russia would I? I invested exactly because I think Russia will remain capitalistic and that the economy will grow in the longer perspective.

But the Communists is the second largest party in Russian politics, so it's not unfeasable that they would win, is it? If Putin completely messes up, then they are the second largest party. If the biggest country messes up, the second biggest country picks up the votes.

It regularly happens in other countries and Russian poltics are more volatile than most. Just because it hasn't changed for a while, doesn't mean it never will. Only a very young person would think that status quo is forever. But as I said, I don't believe that's feasible in the least.

Like I said I already make a considerable amount of money on this investment so you'll have to excuse me if I'm not regretting this investment. I made over £3000 in one week with a total investment in Russian shares, of £5500. So frankly, I don't care if you think it's stupid.

If you read the British press on investing in Russia, most analysts say this opportunity to invest in Russian shares at rock bottom prices is too good to pass over.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Russian View Post
    Who cares about Sweden?
    I can think of at least 7 epic reasons to care about Sweden... massively!

1. In Flames
    2. Amon Amarth
    3. Dead by April
    4. Meshuggah
    5. Sonic Syndicate
    6. Opeth
    7. Nightrage

Any questions? Swedish metal pwns... just saying.

Nothing yet about the retaliatory sanctions... in response to the new sanctions against Crimea, Russia. Obama said he wouldn't issue any new sanctions against Russia. But the next day... Never listen to a liar.
    Лучше смерть, чем бесчестие! Тем временем: Вечно молодой, Вечно пьяный. - Смысловые Галлюцинации, Чартова дюжина 2015!
    Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки. Спасибо.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    But the Communists is the second largest party in Russian politics, so it's not unfeasable that they would win, is it? If Putin completely messes up, then they are the second largest party. .
    It is not the party.

Have to say twice the same thing. Not a real political power, but a bunch of actors, employed by Kremlin and United Russia. In order to pretend that they participate in legislative process. Part of United Russia, if you wish.

Still difficult to understand?

Like I said I already make a considerable amount of money on this investment so you'll have to excuse me if I'm not regretting this investment. I made over £3000 in one week with a total investment in Russian shares, if £5500. So frankly, I don't care if you think it's stupid.
    Take your 10 000 pounds (am I right) and invest in something else. As quickly as it is possible.
    Avoid russian market as hell.

Anyway, that`s your life, you choose.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by UhOhXplode View Post
    I can think of at least 7 epic reasons to care about Sweden... massively!

1. In Flames
    2. Amon Amarth
    3. Dead by April
    4. Meshuggah
    5. Sonic Syndicate
    6. Opeth
    7. Nightrage

Any questions? Swedish metal pwns... just saying..
    Yeah, exactly! Btw, my favorite ones of those are In Flames & Sonic Syndicate. And btw, this has been one of the main reasons I have so much respect for that country, that the Swedish metal bands pwn ! =))

I just hope that lefties and commies from that country are rather an exception than a regular rule. (Вытерто. Л.)

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge_spb View Post
    Avoid russian market as hell.
    I think market is not your strong side.
    Russian market is one of the most promising at the moment, considering the recent fall of practically all Russian shares.

I think you need to stop operating with emotions and start operating with facts. Although I understand that people that scream все пропало, шеф! are the most common kind in Russia currently, considering economical shock. Does not mean that you are right in every statement though.

Не принуждайте меня закрыть эти горячие политические темы из-за переходов на личности.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Не принуждайте меня закрыть эти горячие политические темы из-за переходов на личности.
    Where is the problem? I think it's refreshing that a Russian, Serge_spb, is giving an accurate description of what is happening in Russia compared to the neo-Soviet rhethoric that dominates the political forum. It's the reason topics on the Ukraine conflict is censored.

I totally understand Serge_spb's frustration with Russians who sugarcoat problems in his country and ignorant Westerners who are left-wingers and cling to anyone who goes against the Western hegemony even though they are not informed regarding Russia.

There is a spin on anything in Russia that portrays it in the best possible light since most if not all mainstream media is controlled by the Kremlin. Ownership is concentrated in Putin/Kremlin-friendly entrepreneurs so it's difficult to obtain an objective report. When Western sources report something negative, it's accused of propaganda. So, I guess nothing 'bad' or worrisome happens in Russia. Or, Putin will explain with 'cornered bear' bedtime stories.
    maxmixiv and eisenherz like this.

Where is the problem? I think it's refreshing that a Russian, Serge_spb, is giving an accurate description of what is happening in Russia compared to the neo-Soviet rhethoric that dominates the political forum. It's the reason topics on the Ukraine conflict is censored.

I totally understand Serge_spb's frustration with Russians who sugarcoat problems in his country and ignorant Westerners who are left-wingers and cling to anyone who goes against the Western hegemony even though they are not informed regarding Russia.

There is a spin on anything in Russia that portrays it in the best possible light since most if not all mainstream media is controlled by the Kremlin. Ownership is concentrated in Putin/Kremlin-friendly entrepreneurs so it's difficult to obtain an objective report. When Western sources report something negative, it's accused of propaganda. So, I guess nothing 'bad' or worrisome happens in Russia. Or, Putin will explain with 'cornered bear' bedtime stories.
    Это всё мимо. Ты русский знаешь? Наверное, "из-за переходов на личности" не понял.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Yeah, exactly! Btw, my favorite ones of those are In Flames & Sonic Syndicate. And btw, this has been one of the main reasons I have so much respect for that country, that the Swedish metal bands pwn ! =)) ...
    *Fives / bro fist* Mine too but hey, if you like In Flames then you totally could get all over Dead by April. The new Let The World Know album they dropped last spring's just so totally amazing! Highly recommended. Spin "Beautiful Nightmare" and see.
    2 Swedish bands I almost forgot - At The Gates & Vildhjarta. The latter's seriously progressive.

... It's the reason topics on the Ukraine conflict is censored.
    No. Serge_spb and other members have contributed a lot of valid points to the debates. Also, I haven't seen anything but irrelevant personal comments being omitted.

... Westerners who are left-wingers and cling to anyone who goes against the Western hegemony...
    Too black and white. I'm a conservative and my parents are both Republicans. They voted for Romney in the 2012 elections. It's more about logic than political affiliation.

EDIT:

China has called Russia an irreplaceable partner on the world stage and China has made agreements to help get Russia through the financial crisis.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...ency-swap.html

That's an awesome turn of events!
    Btw, the Angara-5 heavy lift rocket will be test launched at Plesetsk, in Arkhangelsk, tomorrow. They moved the launch back 2 days. It will replace the Proton rocket.
    Лучше смерть, чем бесчестие! Тем временем: Вечно молодой, Вечно пьяный. - Смысловые Галлюцинации, Чартова дюжина 2015!
    Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки. Спасибо.

Валерия, Газманов и Кобзон - Песня про санкции (Голубой огонек)

Исправите мой ошибки, пожалуйста. Я хочу учиться.

Почтенный гражданин
    An interesting article: http://plata.com.mx/mplata/articulos...idarticulo=260

"President Franklin Delano Roosevelt when asked in 1940 why he did not embargo oil to Japan explained that this would have been a declaration of war. He launched the embargo on July 25, 1941. So any suggestion that the EU and the United States are not in a state of war with Russia is false."

I think the article is not too bad, however it seems too far hysterical and far reaching to me. First, there's fundamental difference between the energy (oil) embargo and any other type of embargo. In 1940s Japan related heavily on oil to the extent that: "[...] leading the Imperial Japanese Navy to estimate that it had less than two years of bunker oil remaining [...]" Events leading to the attack on Pearl Harbor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So, to draw a proper analogy, if Russia would stop exporting gas to Europe (as the article suggests) that would be Russian declaration of war against Europe (which I think would never happen). So, the present US and European's sanctions are way too far from being a declaration of war.

Second, the proposed plan to dismember Ukraine as a way to please Russia and Germany seems to be too stretched out. As the latest events had shown, Russia is ok if the sovereign Ukraine stays neutral. (And by the latest events I mean the Agreement on the Settlement of Crisis in Ukraine dated 21 February, 2014.) Unfortunately, as the opposition who have subsequently gained power demonstrated their determination not to respect the agreements and, subsequently, exceed their authority, Russia was forced into alternative ways to ensure their security.

Third, the article provides pitches scattered all over which make it look less realistic and more biased, like a demand to remove the missile base from Europe since, allegedly, Russian territory is fully covered by the nuclear-submarines'-carried Tridents anyways, so why the waste? That assumes that the military guys are stupid and that is not the case. The basics that the article's author is to be aware of is that the keyword in nuclear strategy is *diversification* and *proliferation*. The principal states that it is possible to destroy each and every component of the nuclear warhead delivery system, but it is never possible to destroy all of the components, hence rendering the assault useless. And so on.

These types of Russians support stuff like this:

Vladimir Zhirinovsky proposes to bomb Germany and burn Paris - - World in the joinfo.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l9R0Rr5I_U

Putinoids really are mentally disturbed.

Почтенный гражданин
    First of all. Zhirinovsky is not a "putinoid", he is pro-Zhirinovsky. Now he sees fit to support Putin - he does it. Tomorrow the situation changes and his views will change dramatically.
    Second. This video has been edited and very roughly - it's clearly seen. The frames were cut in the middle of a phrase.

Почтенный гражданин
    Well, well... Let's see the original version of Zhirinovsky's speech?

All the words mixed up and the sense completely changed. And 14Russian once again approved his lier status. No surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeMak View Post
    First of all. Zhirinovsky is not a "putinoid", he is pro-Zhirinovsky. Now he sees fit to support Putin - he does it. Tomorrow the situation changes and his views will change dramatically.
    Second. This video has been edited and very roughly - it's clearly seen. The frames were cut in the middle of a phrase.
    (Deleted. L.) Zhrinovsky is a Putinoid. He's Putin's puppet - controlled opposition. Anyway, maybe you are trying to achieve your quota of paid Kremlin posts.
    Last edited by Lampada; February 13th, 2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Переход на личности

Quote Originally Posted by SergeMak View Post
    All the words mixed up and the sense completely changed. And 14Russian once again approved his lier status. No surprise.
    You don't know what the definition of lying is. But, your Kremlin tricks won't work.

A Russian sent me the info.

Rech fyurera Zhirinovskogo. Razbombit Germaniyu.

Putinoids will be Putinoids.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast