Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion to Limit Replies to Topics

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Yes. And I suggest to drift further. I have got a pretty ('dumb' in your slang?) idea. Imafine that we have a "Thanks" button to thank a user who was the most helpful in some issue (since it's a language-mastering forum). We could have a statistics page where everyone might be able to surf and see who is the real savior. It is a lame suggestion, bur may be we can think about something more specific? The feature advantageous for all?
    Leave all as it is.
    Your signature says it all You don't want to assume any responsibility for you. Don't get offended though! I mean no offence.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Почтенный гражданин
    Check out the topic in "General Discussion": "Sticky Know the Rules", item #6, which states; "Do not use the forum as a chat."
    DO IT YOURSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Yes. And I suggest to drift further. I have got a pretty ('dumb' in your slang?) idea. Imafine that we have a "Thanks" button to thank a user who was the most helpful in some issue (since it's a language-mastering forum). We could have a statistics page where everyone might be able to surf and see who is the real savior. It is a lame suggestion, bur may be we can think about something more specific? The feature advantageous for all?
    Leave all as it is.
    Your signature says it all You don't want to assume any responsibility for you. Don't get offended though! I mean no offence.
    I don't take offence. As for my opinion aout the subject - all these plus and minus buttons, reputation stuff and user stats will lead only to some stupid competition among users about who's going to be a 'king of the hill'.
    And the only thing that stuff will prove that there are users who can click buttons and type some stupid messages faster than others. Those, who appear here on a regular basis know who is who without all this.
    Moreover - rating system will attract many young people who will try to assert themselves trying hard to get good stats.
    The PhpBB engine that drives this forum doesn't allow this without some serious re-design and coding anyway, so I think the best course of action is just to leave all as it is now.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Почётный участник
    Leave all as it is.
    I don't take offence. As for my opinion aout the subject - all these plus and minus buttons, reputation stuff and user stats will lead only to some stupid competition among users about who's going to be a 'king of the hill'.
    And the only thing that stuff will prove that there are users who can click buttons and type some stupid messages faster than others. Those, who appear here on a regular basis know who is who without all this.
    Moreover - rating system will attract many young people who will try to assert themselves trying hard to get good stats.
    The PhpBB engine that drives this forum doesn't allow this without some serious re-design and coding anyway, so I think the best course of action is just to leave all as it is now.
    I agree with Ramil

The idea is not new. Several forums, i.e. the ProZ.com, have been using this system for years: there is space for replies, and when the answer is chosen by the Asker, the case is closed.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Властелин
    Ramil, good that you weren't offended by my remarks. I agree with you that all these implementations will lead to the appearance of an incalculable number of users whose ultimate goal will be to post as much as possible to run up a high total of posts.

charlestonian, yet you never know if a poster wants more than one reply to his question.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    I see your point. However I never meant all these pluses and minuses. This is very inefficient.

I think that only permanent, steady users must have the "right" of being thanked.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Ramil, good that you weren't offended by my remarks. I agree with you that all these implementations will lead to the appearance of an incalculable number of users whose ultimate goal will be to post as much as possible to run up a high total of posts.

charlestonian, yet you never know if a poster wants more than one reply to his question.
    Many people can reply to a post, and each answer is peer-rated (there are "agree," "neutral," or "disagree" buttons for each answer; there is also room for a short comment for each rating). Then the Asker decides what answer to choose (usually, it's the one with the most "agrees"). After the answer selected, the thread is closed, and on to the next question.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Властелин
    Frankly, I do NOT like this idea. Such a system rather resembles discrimination. It will become an obsession for some members - that is, they'll want to receive only positive remarks about their replies. It's hard for me to beleive that this sort of thing may motivate people to give more comprehensive replies. Also, it is liable to establish competition among members. Imagine the following: someone has posted a question, 3 replies have been given and the author of the question selects, say, the second reply as the best. The thread is closed, right? But in a day, someone looks through the threads, finds the above question and would like to reply because they think that their reply is vital but they can't. It's quite possible that the person who asked the question would find that reply very useful.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Frankly, I do NOT like this idea. Such a system rather resembles discrimination. It will become an obsession for some members - that is, they'll want to receive only positive remarks about their replies. It's hard for me to beleive that this sort of thing may motivate people to give more comprehensive replies. Also, it is liable to establish competition among members. Imagine the following: someone has posted a question, 3 replies have been given and the author of the question selects, say, the second reply as the best. The thread is closed, right? But in a day, someone looks through the threads, finds the above question and would like to reply because they think that their reply is vital but they can't. It's quite possible that the person who asked the question would find that reply very useful.
    It's not like that at all: the threads can be open for a long time, and the Asker usually waits for the most suitable answer. Sometimes (though rarely), he/she picks the answer with a few "agrees." But generally, the most "agrees" indicate that the answer it the best. BTW, the asker always provides some important context, so people have some idea of what it's all about. They don't have to guess, and to suggest the answers for various situations.
    Those who want to add something after selection, still can do that (the thread is still visible, and they can send a PM) but usually, there is no need for that, the Asker is happy with the selection.
    And, what is wrong with competition, anyway?

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    It's not like that at all: the threads can be open for a long time, and the Asker usually waits for the most suitable answer. Sometimes (though rarely), he/she picks the answer with a few "agrees." But generally, the most "agrees" indicate that the answer it the best. BTW, the asker always provides some important context, so people have some idea of what it's all about. They don't have to guess, and to suggest the answers for various situations.
    Those who want to add something after selection, still can do that (the thread is still visible, and they can send a PM) but usually, there is no need for that, the Asker is happy with the selection.
    To answer your question about competition, I imagine we should have a peaceful atmosphere here. Why would we need to have all that stuff about 'the best answer'?
    What I believe we really should think of creating is the rule obliging every member to state his/her location clearly, so everyone can see what his/her mother tongue is. I've had some problems with this....
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    To answer your question about competition, I imagine we should have a peaceful atmosphere here. Why would we need to have all that stuff about 'the best answer'?
    What I believe we really should think of creating is the rule obliging every member to state his/her location clearly, so everyone can see what his/her mother tongue is. I've had some problems with this....
    Well, you may be right about most forums here, but I think the system of confirming someone's answer (or disagreeing with it), would work well for "Translate this" forum... And, you can still have free discussion while agreeing/disagreeing with someone...

Завсегдатай
    На этом форуме ничего не надо изменить. Все в порядке как есть.

Не забудьте, мы здесь для того, чтобы учить и обсуждать русский язык, а не для того, чтобы получить добрую славу. Хорошо, если это получается, но не надо так серьезно относиться к всему.

До тех пор, пока обсуждение интересно и содержательно, тема должна продолжить неограниченно.

Я думаю, что эта тема должна быть закрытой.

Завсегдатай
    Кстати, если бы Администратор ввел систему репутации, то люди боялись бы ответить на вопросы, потому что у них репутация могла бы спуститься.

Это, по-моему, было бы потерей времени и мысленных усилий...

Any post is public domain and posters don't own their post. So it may receive as many answers as possible.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    На этом форуме ничего не надо менять. Все хорошо как есть.

Не забывайте, мы здесь для того, чтобы учиться и обсуждать русский язык, а не для того, чтобы зарабатывать добрую славу. Хорошо, если это получается, но не надо так серьезно относиться ко всему.

До тех пор, пока обсуждение интересно и содержательно, тема должна продолжаться неограниченно.

Я думаю, что эту тему можно закрыть.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Кстати, если бы Администратор ввел систему репутации, то люди боялись бы отвечать на вопросы, потому что у них репутация могла бы портиться.

Это, по-моему, было бы потерей времени и мысленных усилий...
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Все хорошо как есть.

мы здесь для того, чтобы учиться и обсуждать русский язык
    I think that "Все в порядке как есть" and "для того, чтобы учить и обсуждать русский язык" (as basurero wrote) are ok.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай
    Кстати, если бы Администратор ввел систему репутаций (pl.), то люди боялись бы отвечать на вопросы, потому что их репутация могла бы опуститься.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast