Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion to Limit Replies to Topics

Почтенный гражданин

Suggestion to Limit Replies to Topics

This surely must have been suggested before on countless forums, but a forum should set a limit on replies to an orginal thread. As most realize, the threads inevitably "go off on a tangent" after the first or second page. Anyone wishing to extend the thread along new lines should just start a new thread! No one should be forced to read through three pages of replies to pick up on the gist of a topic.

Thank you
    DO IT YOURSELF!

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Why, that is the dumbest idea that I have ever heard of!

It is better to have one long thread that I don't have to read than 37 stupid one page threads.

Signed:
    DDT (DTJAW)
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    В большинстве случаев, когда мы отклоняемся от темы, она становится интереснее. Но я думаю, что тоже есть много ненужной ерунды на этом форуме. Но это просто жизнь, привыкнись к ней.

ST
    точно
    The bear looked at the car, and reflections of fire danced in his eyes. He knew what to do.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Но я думаю, что на этом форуме тоже есть много ненужной ерунды. Но это просто жизнь, привыкни_ к ней.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Re: Suggestion to Limit Replies to Topics

Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    This surely must have been suggested before on countless forums, but a forum should set a limit on replies to an orginal thread. As most realize, the threads inevitably "go off on a tangent" after the first or second page. Anyone wishing to extend the thread along new lines should just start a new thread! No one should be forced to read through three pages of replies to pick up on the gist of a topic.

Thank you
    Why bother? Don't read through if you don't wish to do so.
    I only browse through long threads and don't read them completely through.
    And how many messages do you thing would be ok for the topic? Considering the fact that there are several thousands users on this forum and the possibility that they all may find it necessary to express themselves on some interesting topic you will get the longest thread ever.
    I think that's a bad idea. A very bad idea.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Властелин
    Topic drift is what life is all about.

Завсегдатай
    Yes. And I suggest to drift further. I have got a pretty ('dumb' in your slang?) idea. Imafine that we have a "Thanks" button to thank a user who was the most helpful in some issue (since it's a language-mastering forum). We could have a statistics page where everyone might be able to surf and see who is the real savior. It is a lame suggestion, bur may be we can think about something more specific? The feature advantageous for all?
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Why, that is the dumbest idea that I have ever heard of!

It is better to have one long thread that I don't have to read than 37 stupid one page threads.

Signed:
    DDT (DTJAW)

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Topic drift is what life is all about.
    Yes... please let's keep drifting!

I vote for Drift!

Завсегдатай
    There is no voting pole, Dobry.

Anyway, what about my suggestion?

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Yes. And I suggest to drift further. I have got a pretty ('dumb' in your slang?) idea. Imafine that we have a "Thanks" button to thank a user who was the most helpful in some issue (since it's a language-mastering forum). We could have a statistics page where everyone might be able to surf and see who is the real savior. It is a lame suggestion, bur may be we can think about something more specific? The feature advantageous for all?
    This could be a good idea, I believe. It's generally called 'reputation'. What you do is you choose either '+' or '-' near a user's nickname, thus increasing or decreasing his reputation. Although the outcome of this enhancement is rather predictable because on most forums the most active members usually run up the highest score.

Speaking of limiting the number of replies to one thread, I suggest imposing this kind of restircition on extremely long threads - say, over 20 pages. The whole thing doesn't seem sensible though.....
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Почтенный гражданин

You're drifting.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    This could be a good idea, I believe. It's generally called 'reputation'. What you do is you choose either '+' or '-' near a user's nickname, thus increasing or decreasing his reputation. Although the outcome of this enhancement is rather predictable because on most forums the most active members usually run up the highest score.

Speaking of limiting the number of replies to one thread, I suggest imposing this kind of restircition on extremely long threads - say, over 20 pages. The whole thing doesn't seem sensible though.....
    I think there *must* be some limitations. Either in times thanking the user or... don't know what.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry

You're drifting.
    He's trying to!
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry

You're drifting.
    Of course, I do! Life flows!

Властелин

I think there *must* be some limitations. Either in times thanking the user or... don't know what.
    That's right. Could be a good idea, I think. You've suggested this idea, so obviously, you're the one who should further it.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    I have to read opinions and corrections-suggestions... MasterAdmin is welcome, too.

Почтенный гражданин

ReD, I think is correct.
    Limiting the number of pages is wise, in my opinion.

Rtyom... the "popularity vote"... I'm not sure that it's a good thing... probably because I would be at the bottom .

But I think it's possibly a very good idea that should be discussed in the forum, and then considered by MasterAdmin... using it could be very helpful to new, and old, forum users.

Leave all as it is.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast