Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Re: Favorite movie/book phrases or quotes??

Lampada, you link reminds me of another very often quoteable cartoon series! I'll repost them here, with your permission, with english subs for Rockzmom:

Episode 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOebKn_WhI0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hnPSSnS1g0

Unfortunately, I've found only first episode with English subs on Youtube. My favorite and most quoteable is the 3rd one, Winter in Prostokvashino.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Старший оракул

Thanks for all the cartoons. They are great and I want to get back to them in a few. I see now where "Matroskin Kot" comes from!!! I am downloading that one for us to watch on the TV.

I want to talk get back to "The Very Same Munchhausen" for few minutes or postings.

I NEED HELP!!!! pleassseeee....

I was doing just fine understand and enjoying this movie right up until the time they found him guity.

I understand they arrested him so that the ex-wife could keep her little business going and make money off his death and all and if he came back to life that would ruin it all. What I don't get was everything after that. Okay so they found him guilty of impersonating the Baron; but, his entire speech and the way the people behaved... mind head hurts just trying to remember it now. Was the Baron the sane one and everyone else crazy? :fool"

Also, Marta, can I personally take a 2x4 and slap it upside her head for leaving him?

Oh, and I was VERY upset at the thought that he killed himself

AND to learn that Oleg Yankovskiy recently died. I had to Google his name as he look vaguely familiar. He had such a wonderful expressionistic face and voice that carried the tone of the words and his timing for delivering his lines, OMG! Perfect! Even though I don't understand Russian, I was amazed and drawn in. I had recalled the face when I saw the first part of Munchhausen and thought, no.. could it be the same man? And it was, it turned out I had seen him in the movie "The Man Who Cried."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5giSZmHF8e4
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почётный участник

I apologize for going off topic but Rockzmom, where does the expression "2x4" come from? I understand it and have often heard it but when I try to picture it, my mind draws a blanc. Could you please enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by devochka
    I apologize for going off topic but Rockzmom, where does the expression "2x4" come from? I understand it and have often heard it but when I try to picture it, my mind draws a blanc. Could you please enlighten me?
    THERE IS NO OFF TOPIC IN THIS FORUM!!!

A 2x4 is a piece of lumber (wood) that is used in construction.

Each piece is a 2"x4" (38 x 89 mm) height and width and then in length of like 8 feet (2.4384 meters) or 10 feet (3.048 meters)

Here are piles or stacks of them.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

On Comcast On-Demand free this month: Баллада о солдате (Soviet Union: Russian title) aka Ballad of a Soldier (USA). Russian, English subtitles. Good movie, but ultimately depressing.
    Zhanna Prokhorenko (music) Жанна
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Quote Originally Posted by devochka
    THERE IS NO OFF TOPIC IN THIS FORUM!!!

A 2x4 is a piece of lumber (wood) that is used in construction.

Each piece is a 2"x4" (38 x 89 mm) height and width and then in length of like 8 feet (2.4384 meters) or 10 feet (3.048 meters)

Here are piles or stacks of them.

Thanks Rockzmom! I didn't realize the 2"x4" was only referring to height and widt and that there was another 8 or 10 feet of wood coming. I always thought: "such a small piece, you would have to hit really hard to make it hurt"

Rockzmom,sorry for the late reply. Yes I like Harrison Ford too and have all the Indiana Jones films(apart from the new one yet),Bladerunner of course and all the Star Wars films.
    Good actor! And i want one of Indies hats!
    Я плохо говорю по-русски.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Вот бы ещё слова этих песен найти.
    Ой там на горі *
    Українська народна пісня

Ой, там на горі, в шовковій траві,
    Ой, там сиділа пара голубів -
    Цілувалися, милувалися,
    Сизими крильми обнімалися.

Ой, десь узявся мисливець-стрілець,
    Голуба убив, голубку зловив,
    Додому приніс, додолу пустив,
    Насипав пшонця й водиці налив.

Голубка не їсть, голубка не п'є,
    Та все на ту гору плакать літає.
    "Ой, єсть у мене сімсот голубів,
    Літай, вибирай, може ж тa є й твій".

"Я вже літала, вже й вибирала,
    Нема такого, як я кохала,
    Хоч пір'я й таке, й такий пушок,
    А, як загуде - не той голосок".

Да косив батько, косив я.

Да косив батько, косив я,
    Да викосили солов'я
    Соловей у саду тьох да тьох. Канареєчка...
    Роман кость, Гапка в'яже, Катерина загріба,
    Грицько воли напува, Ганна воду тяга.
    Ой, мамо, люблю Гриця.
    Гриць на конику вертиться.
    В Гриця шапка до лиця,
    Люблю Гриця молодця.
    Да прийди, Грицю, в понеділок,
    Да підем разом по барвінок.
    Да прийди, Грицю, у вівторок,
    Да поцілую разів сорок.
    Да прийди, Грицю, у середу,
    Да підем разом по череду.
    Да прийди, Грицю, у сіботу,
    Да підем разом на роботу.
    Да прийди, Грицю, у неділю,
    Да підем разом на весілля.

Studyr

NO FAIR! I need translation please!!!! There is no way that Google Translate will properly translate all of that for me!!!

I know your English skills are good enough to at least give me a general idea of what you wrote about .... please....

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    NO FAIR! I need translation please!!!! There is no way that Google Translate will properly translate all of that for me!!!
    It's the lyrics of two Ukrainian songs (in Ukrainian) from the cartoon "There once was a dog". Lampada mentioned that she couldn't find them. Telling the truth, I can not fully understand these lyrics myself, although : 1)I't my wife's native language, 2)I've been at Ukraine many times (actualy I go there at least two times every year), 3)Ukrainian is very close to Russian, I personally even don't count it as a full language.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

There on the hill, were 2 pigeons. They were kissing, loving, embracing each other with their grey wings. All of a sudden, a musketeer appeared. He killed he pigeon and caught she pigeon. He brought her home and let her go to his yard. He supplied her with millet and water but she neither eat nor drink. He asked "I've got seven hundred pigeons. Fly there and find one for you." But she answered "I've already fled, I've already searched for. Some has the same feathers but when they start to sing their voice is different and there is no one I'm in love with."

P. S. Jazz, call me Geoge please.

George,

Thank you for translating. I have cleaned it up a bit and I hope I did not take away too much of the meaning while doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    There on the hill, were [s:3fygz118]2[/s:3fygz118] two pigeons. They were kissing, loving, and embracing each other with their grey wings. All of a sudden, a musketeer appeared. He killed the [s:3fygz118]he[/s:3fygz118] male pigeon and caught the [s:3fygz118]she[/s:3fygz118] female pigeon. He brought her home and let her go to live in his yard. He supplied her with millet and water but she neither [s:3fygz118]eat[/s:3fygz118] ate nor [s:3fygz118]drink[/s:3fygz118] drank. [s:3fygz118]He[/s:3fygz118] The musketeer [s:3fygz118]asked[/s:3fygz118] pleaded with the pigeon, "I've got seven hundred pigeons. Fly over there and find [s:3fygz118]one for you[/s:3fygz118] yourself a new mate." But she answered forelorned, "I've already fled, and I've already searched [s:3fygz118]for[/s:3fygz118]. Some [s:3fygz118]has[/s:3fygz118] have the same feathers but when they start to sing their voice is different and there is no one I'm in love with."

Jazz, thanks for correction but it doesn't matter (besides they sing "killed" and "caught", then "eat" and "drink" ). The point is that now, you know what the song is about. When the Wolf said that he wants to sing, all started too. And they found this song so touching that one man even dropped a tear into his glass I found this cartoon very funny and I love it Here it is if you had not watched it yet
    [video:28i7rdmw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5au6UbfzXjQ[/video:28i7rdmw]

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    The point is that now, you know what the song is about. When the Wolf said that he wants to sing, all started too.
    Ahhhhh! George!
    Now I Understand! I had not realized that the song went with "There Once Was a Dog"!!! Thanks for the translations!

And yes, we agree with everyone, it was a fantastic cartoon!!!
    -----

Last night, we watched "Prostokvashino" and thought it was VERY cute. I actually sent a message via YouTube mail to "trueboltsfan" (the guy who posted it and is doing the subtitles) letting him know how much I enjoyed it, blah, blah, blah... and inquiring about the other versions. AND... he responded...

Quote Originally Posted by trueboltsfan
    You are very welcome. Check back in a few weeks, I should have the other 2 subtitled.
    So hopefully soon, we can watch the rest!!!

Found a poor copy of The Stroll or Progulka online in Russian and then found English subtitles for it. When I merged them, they seemed to work; however, I have not watched more than a minute or two just to make certain it worked.

movie: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69710602626284
    English subtitles: http://www.allsubs.org//search-subtitle/progulka+/10

Here is a review from someone in Moscow that was posted on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Stroll-Progulka/dp/B0002FCJQ6:

This film takes place in one day as three young people stroll around the city of St. Petersburg and share personal dreams and lies and develops into an anti-climax of the mystery of human drama.

On the surface, there can be many complaints about this film, the first being a distorted chronotope. While it is true that the weather changes suddenly in St. Petersburg, the characters turn a corner and all of a sudden it is nighttime. Most of the action occurs in realtime, so in order to actually make the passage of time into a full day, compensations had to made to the true quality of the realtime experiment. Secondly, the subtitled translation is awkward and slow. The characters speak extremely quickly and sometimes subtitles carry over into the next characters' dialogue, and it is often unclear to know who is saying what. Other times, entire lines are omitted from the subtitled version. Thirdly, it seems impossible that this movie could have been scripted, as a result, the conversation is sometimes dull and trite, but unfortunately, conversation is the only truly reliable character present. And I can't say with any confidence the degree of interest this movie will have for a purely Western viewer, one without any ties to Russia or any interest in modern Russia.

The characters are interesting and surprisingly well-developed for the general surface transparency of the film. For them St. Petersburg holds all aspects in the rich wealth of existence. The other cast of characters consisting of other Petersburgers, locals and tourists, add to the immense depth in this portrait of the city. Workers complain about the fact that the city was built on water, women and men bicker about inane details, the masses swarm and route for a soccer team that rarely wins, and the characters find themselves enmeshed in all of it, thus making it not only a personal but also broadly cultural portrait.

But overall the city is depicted in positive terms, if you can say that any attention is paid to it. From literature, we usually see the image of the city as a character in itself--powerful, vengeful, beautifully incomprehensible. But here, the young characters sweep past her imposing crowds and through her obtrusive landmarks without any true interest in historical or cultural matters. But it's impossible not to feel dizzy with sensory overload as the characters swirl to the top of St. Isaac's Cathedral and look over the city. There's something amazing and inexplicable underlying everything.

[EXTRA INFO: For anyone familiar with Russian Ark--a 90 minute, one-take tour through 300 years of Russian history via The Hermitage--this film is sort of a sarcastic spit in the face of director Sokorov, the serious Petersburg intellectual (stereo)type. The director of this film is not from Petersburg, and maybe therefore the perspective is suprisingly fresh and not so "heavy".]

I searched web for English subtitles for Dejavu and }{0ТТ@БЬ)Ч did my best but all in vain

Just a note to say that I absolutely love what I've seen of Russian animation! I have a copy of Masters of Russian Animation which includes There Once Was a Dog, among many others equally good!! And, the Winnie the Pooh, Russian style, is really wonderful!

For those who like Westerns, are you familiar with Have Gun Will Travel? The hero, Paladin, travels the Wild West using his gun to help people. He lives the life of a gentleman in San Francisco in between adventures. Here is a link to one episode (the prominent sign for a production of Cyrano de Bergerac gives an idea of the plot): http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 4mEmkAc2E#

You might notice a young Charles Bronson in the film....many famous stars made guest appearances in this cleverly written program.

Also, I cannot find it online, but, in an episode called "Alaska," the program features a very positive Russian character - he is a friend of Paladin's - they have been playing chess with each other by mail . He needs Paladin to help settle a land dispute, so Paladin goes to Alaska. The Russian is just a really nice guy - willing to work things out, kind to women, a good friend - but the evil new settlers are greedy, etc...A nice change of pace from the usual Russian bad guy! And, this program was produced during the 1950's!
    Correct my Russian, please! Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки!

Помогите мирy oдним щелчком ! Help the world with one click!
    http://www.thehungersite.com/clickTo...s_home_sitenav

Book Talk...again...

Okay, so I was in the book store this morning to pick up a copy of "Three Cups of Tea" for the girl's summer reading list and while at the check-out stand I saw a book that I just could NOT believe...

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!

The young female cashier said the young girls really like the book!
    Quote Originally Posted by [color=#0000FF
    From the back cover of book[/color]]Pride and Prejudice and Zombies -- "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains." So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers—and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Can she vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.
    Then I checked Amazon and it even has received good reviews!! I especially love J. Johnson's review:

109 of 132 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars
    I have been redeemed..., March 24, 2009
    By J. Johnson (Riverside, CA) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)

After suffering through Pride and Prejudice in a women's lit class in high school, being one of the three males in the class, and undergoing much embarrassment for my lack of understanding of the subject matter, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is bittersweet redemption. It was very nice while reading this to feel as though I am exacting revenge on Jane Austen's literary masterpiece by not only understanding the work but also enjoying a pseudo-perverse amalgamation of her work and a horror/comedy film.

No doubt some Austen fans will cry "heresy" at what Seth Grahame-Smith has done, that is take a classic piece of literature and splice in zombie references, but I think others will accept this work as the kind of flattery that it is to Ms. Austen. Others, like myself, who were intellectually incapable of understanding the works of Jane Austen, will feel sweet vindication from enjoying her great work with a smidgen of added immaturity.

There is no doubt that Grahame-Smith has accomplished something incredibly innovative with this work, possibly spawning a new literary-classic-remade-hilarious genre, and there is also no doubt that he has done so very well.

I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys comedy, zombies, and classic women's literature- and I never thought I would recommend anything on those terms.
    And, it is number 4 this week on the New York Times Best Seller Lists for Paperback Trade Fiction!!!! (Three Cups of Tea is #1 for Paperback Non-Fiction)

The book even comes with rather interesting illustrations as well...

While I LOVE P&P... based upon the reviews and all.... I just might have to go back and purchase this book! I can already feel my brain turning to mush.

I wonder what Ms. Austen would make of this?

Sorry for changing subject... I just re-watched all three movies of LOTR and while watching battle scenes there was a comparison suddenly come in my mind with classical battle scenes from Soviet movies when nobody ever heard about CGI and all the exta's were real people. And the best feature of them is that how they are strangely "nonviolent" (I mean there is no blood and such things) and sutable even for little children comparing with modern movies. I'll post several fragments in case someone didn't saw them:

"Chapaev" (1934), "psychical attack" scene:

[video:2kumjrin]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBX-y4AF19Y[/video:2kumjrin]

"Alexander Nevsky" (193, Battle on Ice scene:

[video:2kumjrin]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDLYO5KA3DQ[/video:2kumjrin]

"War and Peace" (196, Battle of Hollabrunn scene:

[video:2kumjrin]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df93ZV5PU5U[/video:2kumjrin]

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast