Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Старший оракул

Re: Favorite movie/book phrases or quotes??

rockzmom
    I downloaded those subtitles and they are neither SUBs nor SRTs. I converted them with "Subtitle Workshop" and they are here:
    http://narod.ru/disk/9511150000/Tot%20S ... D.srt.html
    http://narod.ru/disk/9511195000/Tot%20S ... D.srt.html

Старший оракул

I don't have a DVD player but I always thought that you just dump AVI and SRT with the same name on the disk and it works. Doesn't it?

I do not have a DVD player, but I have a cable to connect my PC to TV directly if I want to see .AVI on a big screen.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    rockzmom
    I downloaded those subtitles and they are neither SUBs nor SRTs. I converted them with "Subtitle Workshop" and they are here:
    http://narod.ru/disk/9511150000/Tot%20S ... D.srt.html
    http://narod.ru/disk/9511195000/Tot%20S ... D.srt.html
    If I could but give you a kiss and a hug my sweet e-Learner, I would right now!!!

It looks like the subtitles might even be the same if not close to the ones Olya provided for me.

Did you happen to notice on that site if they actually have the movie already with the subtitles merged? If so, I can list it on my movie list.
    I don't have a DVD player but I always thought that you just dump AVI and SRT with the same name on the disk and it works. Doesn't it?
    I never tried that....

As far as I know.. you must use a program, like the one I use, 4 Media Video Converter, and merge the movie and the subtitles together, then burn to a DVD or on to your ipod or other portable device.

When you do this you can also change the color, size, and even type of font for the subtitles. Like I prefer Yellow for my subtitles instead of WHITE as for me it is easier to read most of the time. I also should use glasses for distance and sometimes if I don't want to wear my glasses, I can make the font REALLY LARGE .

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Okay, then... There is no sense in renaming the file extention. Sub and srt are two different formats. Try to find a converter which would turn .sub into .srt.
    Olya, did not know that. Thank you. I will look for the Subtitle Workshop that eLearner mentioned in the event this happens again so I don't spend an entire day .

I am merging the two files with the subtitles as I type and then will burn them to a DVD and this weekend give the girls a break from their studies and watch this MOVIE!!!

Thanks to both of you!!!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    It looks like the subtitles might even be the same if not close to the ones Olya provided for me.

Did you happen to notice on that site if they actually have the movie already with the subtitles merged? If so, I can list it on my movie list.
    Either I'm missing something or you misunderstood me.

I believe I downloaded the very same subtitles from the very same site that you did, following the very same link that Olya provided earlier in this thread.

What I think happened was that you were confused by my statement that "they are neither SUBs nor SRTs". I did not mean that the names of the files did not end with the .sub. They did.
    What I meant was that the internal structure of the files did not befit a decent SRT- or SUB-file.

Now, I must admit that I wasn't entirely correct on that account. It turned out that there are loads of different subtitle formats that people decided to mark with the extension .sub. It's just that I had never run across that particular variety of them before. Your software seems to not know anything about it either. Although, I think it would recognise the "usual" kind of .sub.
    Fortunately, Subtitle Workshop is smarter than the rest of us.

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    I remember everyone thought Solaris was really good and I do have that one downloaded already.
    The film was so very boring to me...
    Okay, so I now have one NO in Solaris column.
    I wouldn't have gone so far as to say that that film was boring for me, but I do say that all its highbrow philosophy, which many people claim it to possess, was lost on me.

I suppose, as it is neither definite "yes" nor definite "no", this post is useless. It just that I seem to develop some kind of addiction - to write something, anything, in English.

Почётный участник

And Tarkovsky did Stalker also right??? Have you seen that one?
    Yes, I've seen Stalker. I liked it better then Solaris. Stalker being based on a book has nothing in common with it.
    Maybe just some ideas. But in general Tarkovsky takes a book and makes a movie about something completely different.

Старший оракул

Speaking of highbrow philosophy - it had never appealed to me in Lem's works. What I praise him for is "The Invincible", which is sci-fi drama, and the series about Ijon Tichy, which is sci-fi comedy/satire. Even if there was philosophy in there, it was delivered directly, through emotions.

I remember the moment in my life when I was genuinely scared that I might actually die from laughter. I was suffocating and helpless, my abs seemed to be about to break. It happened when I was reading one of the Ijon Tichy stories.

Either I'm missing something or you misunderstood me.
    Yes, I misunderstood you! I thought that you found NEW subtitles on that site. I did not understand that you took the ones Olya found and reformated them and posted them for me!!! That was VERY kind and helpful!

I suppose, as it is neither definite "yes" nor definite "no", this post is useless.
    You could not be further from the truth.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tolstoy
    art must create a specific emotional link between artist and audience, one that "infects" the viewer. Thus, real art requires the capacity to unite people via communication (clearness and genuineness are therefore crucial
    values). Leo Tolstoy, "What is art?"
    Soap box time....

This thread has morphed from where it started; yet, it is now open to almost any discussion on the arts, not just Russian. We have talked about American TV and their numerous double entendres, silent films, books, music, different genres.... we have not even touched photography, paintings, or scuplutres yet! It is now an open thread of thoughts or/questions about the arts (and technology ) and how people view them and how different cultures interpret them.

To me, this thread has united us via communication and ALL of you have educated me and I thank you for that.

End of soap box.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

From one of my favourite movies:
    'All of these moments are soon lost,like tears in the rain.'
    You know it too?
    Я плохо говорю по-русски.

Старший оракул

Speaking of sci-fi satire.

I mentioned somewhere on this forum that I was going to read one of Kurt Vonnegut's books and you, rockzmom, hinted politely at the necessity of writing a review. Well, it's not going to be a review. I'm afraid of doing him injustice, really. But I'll write at least something.

I'm grateful to the person who compared, somewhere on the internet, the style of Douglas Adams to the style of Kurt Vonnegut. That was how I, a fan of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", decided to give Vonnegut a try, and I never regretted it, regardless of how much in common they have.

Adams was mostly mild, ironic. Vonnegut was mostly sarcastic, cynical. He was ruthless to mankind in his books. Not everybody will like that. Some people perceive him as a human-hater. I don't. It's just that he thought that something was going wrong in this world of ours and was trying to wake people up to that. I am sure that he included this passage into his book Slaughterhouse-Five exactly with the purpose of explaining his attitude:
    "Roland Weary and the scouts were safe in a ditch, and Weary growled at Billy, ''Get out of the road, you dumb motherf*cker.''
    The last word was still a novelty in the speech of white people in 1944. It was fresh and astonishing to Billy, who had never f*cked anybody — and it did its job. It woke him up and got him off the road."

It was me who put asterisks there. He wasn't prudish at all.
    Or squeamish.
    I remember one particularly cynical passage, but I just can't put it here, because without context all the hilarity would be gone and it would turn into something repugnant.

I enjoy reading Vonnegut. Even if there isn't much of a plot in a book. So far, I've read Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five, Galapagos, am reading Breakfast of Champions now. It's not that they are without weaknesses, but I enjoyed all of them. Vonnegut's just "my" kind of author, I suppose. Maybe even more so then Douglas Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLarry
    From one of my favourite movies:
    'All of these moments are soon lost,like tears in the rain.'
    You know it too?
    Howdy Larry Green! Welcome to the thread and for selecting one of my favorite actors... see below after your Tears in the Rain clip for why...

[video:27691bwr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw[/video:27691bwr]

I am very partial to Harrison Ford. I remember seeing "Star Wars" as a kid and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (saw it twice in one day! Karen Allen is from my hometown) both when they still had the larger screen movie theaters. "Witness" was special as we live so close to Amish country and "Working Girl" I would always watch the night before I would start a new job. Also, his mom is Russian!

As a child and teenager I simply detested reading. I clearly remember three books which turned me off reading for a good number of years:

J. D. Salinger’s, “Catcher in the Rye” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye
    John Steinbeck’s, “The Grapes of Wrath” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath
    John Irving's, “The World According to Garp” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wor...ording_to_Garp

I guess this is why I now read all of the books the girls need to read for school and the ones they read for pleasure as well.

Two of the books they HAD to read for school were just a bear to get through!
    One, a Sci-fi book, by Nancy Farmer, “The Ear, the Eye and the Arm”
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ear...ye_and_the_Arm and the other a true historical account by Betty Baker, “Walk the World’s Rim”

One of my favorite cartoons, I often use quotes from it (with English subs):

Episode 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqdiEUp6s4E

Episode 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qam9JBk5Oig

Episode 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73uIn56G1YE (part I)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtVVRuy1T9c (part II)
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    One of my favorite cartoons, I often use quotes from it
    Basil! Thank you sooooo much for posting these

They are sooooooo very different from the American versions! We both agree that we like the cuddly characters of our versions...

... yet we like the Russian stories, songs and voices better!

BTW.. could not believe the "Damn" in the English subtitles of Part 3, part 1. What was the word in the Russian version?

I must also admit, I relate WAY too much with "your" Eeyore and of course the sawdust in my head of Winnie as well!!!

So, what are these quotes you often use???

[They are sooooooo very different from the American versions! We both agree that we like the cuddly characters of our versions...
    ... yet we like the Russian stories, songs and voices better!
    Telling the truth, the original stories are British, by Alexander Miln . This cartoon was released in 1959, couple of years later than Disney's one, but director of it, Fyodor Hitruk didn't see the Disney's version when he made this one. I grew up with these cartoons and with Miln's book and saw the Disney's Pooh only at the early 90th, then I was rather grown up. Of course Disney's version is very qualitative, but IMHO Disney's Pooh is too "sweet", if you understand what I mean. Miln's Pooh is a little varmint, maybe even a little greedy and egoistic and I think that Hitruk's Pooh is exactly the same. Besides I like the children-drowings-style-background. My six years old son can watch American Winnie-the-Pooh series by hours, but when I ask him: "Which Winnie-the-Pooh you like better?", he answers: "Of course "our's", it's much more fun!"
    could not believe the "Damn" in the English subtitles of Part 3, part 1. What was the word in the Russian version?
    You mean at 3:40? Eeyore said: "Всем наплевать", that means: "Nobody cares", I have no idea why the subtitle maker translated this as "Nobody gives a damn" . And if you want underline translation of this idioma it's something like : "Everybody are spitting on this matter".
    So, what are these quotes you often use??
    I know by heart almost the entire lines but my favorite are: "Тяни, Пятачок!" / "Pull, Piglet" (when I'm pulling something ), "Это ЖЖ неспроста!" / "This BUZZ is not without a reason", "И того и другого , и можно без хлеба" / "Both of them, and you can skip the bread" and "Всё потому, что кто-то слишком много ест!" / "It's all because someone eats too much!"
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Oh! The Soviet version of Winnie the Pooh! Yes, it's a great cartoon! I do love it.
    My son often watches it, and though he doesn't speak Russian, he quotes the cartoon successfully. Once he made a scene - he got stuck between the sofa and the wall and started to cry in Russian: "Помогите, помогите! Пятачок, я застрял!" ( Help! Help! Piglet, I got stuck!)

Почётный участник

Oh, I love the Soviet Winnie the Pooh! Especially "Winnie the Pooh goes visiting" .

Another cartoon I really like is "There once was a dog". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcM3aXn7LZ4 (with English subtitles)

Quote Originally Posted by devochka
    "There once was a dog".
    I love this cartoon! My favorite quote from it: "Щас спою!" (I'm gonna sing!)

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Quote Originally Posted by devochka
    "There once was a dog".
    I love this cartoon! My favorite quote from it: "Щас спою!" (I'm gonna sing!)
    viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13264&p=159438&hilit=%D0%BC%D 0%B0%D0%BC%D0%BE+%D0%BB%D1%8E%D0%B1%D0%BB%D1%8E+%D 0%93%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%86%D1%8F#p159438
    Вот бы ещё слова этих песен найти.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast