Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Что произойдет в восточной Украине? (Eastern Ukraine?)

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by eisenherz View Post
    agreed, but they are by no means the only ones; others were brave, raised up and risked everything too; eg Tunesia, Egypt, Lybia, Syria, Rwanda, DRC Congo, Srilanka, even in Europe eg Serbia-Croatia-Bosnia Herzigovina = though some of them with horrendous consequences
    Yes, but the Arab springs backfired didn't they? None of these countries are actually better off. But Crimea probably will be....
    And I DO think that most of what happens in Eastern Ukraine is organised by locals.

Like I said, they have the ideology, they've done military service and some are even war veterans. I don't think they NEED Russia to take over some buildings and come up with a manifesto. The question is whether they chose to get Russia involved, or not, and whether Russia has reached out to them, or not.

it-Ogo is talking about having actually seen and heard people there who he think are Russians and not Ukrainians. It's certainly not an unfeasible idea.

If the rumours that Blackwater (Akademi) are there pushing US interests,is true, then I think Russia would just kneejerk send some elite command or something out of sheer territorialism. I think we have to listen carefully to it-Ogo, at the end of the day he's the only person who is actually there, and we know him since many years as an intelligent person who keeps a rational perspective.

On the other hand, I for one overcompensate the onslaught of propaganda in Western media by putting (perhaps) too much trust in Russian media, like RT, which I happen to like, and Vesti, where I am too focussed on understanding what they are saying to think critically about the content.

Many involved in the uprising appear to be administrators, managers etc. I think they have the guts, know-how and experience locally. And frankly it's quite cool.
    But that doesn't mean that Moscow doesn't have some kind of link to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Unfortunately, you can only find that info on Yle's website or RT and the Voice of Russia. The other Western media do not seem interested in distributing that information. I guess, they don't think it's important info for the public. Indeed, some Chief of Intelligence of EU said something about the missing proof.. who cares? Who needs the military intelligence anyway?
    I'll read it for sure. Didn't know YLE has news in Russian but that's nice to hear. I read them sometimes, and it's state TV in Finland. They are usually quite balanced in how they report on Russia apart from the occasional outburst of paranoia during RU military exercises... They often have a Swedish version, so if the Russian text is too hard I might be able to use that. Great tip.

My opinion is that no revolution during the past 50 years (and quite probably even earlier) has taken place without some 'assistance' from the outside. Literally - not a single one!
    There always have been inspirators who pursued their own interests, and quite often these interests were opposite to what these revolutions had been proclaiming. I don't believe in 'people's sudden self-awareness' and its political will. That's absurd!
    Same with Ukraine. Both sides are being manipulated. We're watching a puppet show.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Hanna
    I encourage all English speakers to watch the interview with Sergei Lavrov on "Sophie & Co" on RT. It's about Ukraine. Very good interview and he speaks excellent English. It'll broadcast today and probably available to play separately on the website. http://rt.com/shows/sophieco/ You can hear him speak freely, finish his sentences without being interrupted and say what he has to say, then draw your own conclusions. Lavrov is a great deal more sympathetic than Putin, I think. And he looks exactly like my grandfather apart from different eye colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    My opinion is that no revolution during the past 50 years (and quite probably even earlier) has taken place without some 'assistance' from the outside. Literally - not a single one!
    I think you may well be right but I don't know about every single revolution. The Arab springs seem spontaneous in the beginning. The Iranian revolution seemed quite spontaneous, but it's not like I remember that myself, just based on what I read. It wasn't the US, and probably not the USSR behind it anyway.
    RedFox likes this.

Десять часов в Славянске | Украинская правда

Где-то так. Хорошо согласуется с описаниями местных, которые я слышал.

Интервью с самопровозглашенным мэром Славянска Вячеславом Пономаревым
    http://www.kramatorsk.info/view/148678

И с этим хорошо согласуется.
    Hanna likes this.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    The Iranian revolution seemed quite spontaneous. It wasn't the US, and probably not the USSR behind it anyway.
    That's right.Iran's Islamic Revolution is different from the world's other revolutions.Theda Skocpol ,for example,says that the Iranian Revolution challenged expectations about revolutionary causation that she developed through comparative-historical research on the French , Russian ,and Chinese Revolutions.
    Hanna likes this.

Hanna
    Can an anyone explain whether the US troop exercises in Poland and the Baltics are relevant to the Ukraine situation at all? What is the objective of suddenly setting up this massive exercise with 20,000 troops? What is the US trying to achieve?

Paul G.
    What is the objective of suddenly setting up this massive exercise with 20,000 troops? What is the US trying to achieve?
    Obama said (with a slight smile) that American army greatly excels Russian army. This statement made my day really.
    They need to prove that the US can still do something.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Obama said (with a slight smile) that American army greatly excels Russian army. This statement made my day really.
    They need to prove that the US can still do something.
    Russia has universal conscription, right? 2 years or something? They have a LOT of people at least. And as we've read for many years now, Russia has upgraded its military equipment. My guess is that the RU military is in a good shape, at least better than ever since Soviet days. Not better than the US, but good enough to defend themselves and their allies at that's really all that the a country should have, imho. Always this darn attitude with the Yanks..

And so many wars from school history (European) seem to involve an invasion or a planned invasion of Russia. And it always ends the same way in the end... If you have an empire and want to lose it, try a land invasion of Russia....

There was a way to beat Russia though (in its incarnation as the USSR) - but it was not by a land invasion --- rather with consumerism and rock'n roll..

I think Russia fell for the US tricks once, but won't do it again.
    Just my theory..

Почтенный гражданин
    USA behaves as if it were the 40s or 50s now. It was hard time. Europe laid in ruins, there was a civil war in China, India was fighting for independence. There were only two centers of power: USA and USSR. Not much to choice. But nowadays attempts to demonize Russia and start the second cold war look weird.
    What is going on in Ukraine is an internal affair of the states of Eastern Europe. Russia, Poland, Germany and Turkey are fighting each other here for centuries, using minor states in their own interests. But nobody's happy to see USA here. It's our own business.
    USA arranged an orange revolution in Ukraine and now they say Russia is an "aggressor" so Europe should support USA in the fight for democracy and human rights. Well we had a chance to look at that American "democracy" in Iraq, though it was called "oil" for some reason. Everyone here understands that it all is about money, not about democracy. EU and Russia are economic partners, and USA definitely not happy with this.
    And by the way, whose forces are placed all over Europe: Russian or American? Who is an aggressor actually?

If they are constantly looking for war, they can find it finally...
    Hanna likes this.

I'll read it for sure. Didn't know YLE has news in Russian but that's nice to hear. I read them sometimes, and it's state TV in Finland. They are usually quite balanced in how they report on Russia apart from the occasional outburst of paranoia during RU military exercises... They often have a Swedish version, so if the Russian text is too hard I might be able to use that. Great tip.
    Novosti YLE daily TV-news Novosti Yle: 23.04.2014 16.50 | Tv | Areena | yle.fi started about a year ago and I think radio news have been on air for decades. Novosti has been a great source for me in my efforts to learn Russian, because it subtitled in Finnish. I think YLE is relatively objective and I am happy to support it with my minimal tax effort. I also watch and read Vesti, but my language skills are not good enough to keep in pace with their live news.

I want to thank everyone who have written here about the situation in Ukraine, because every news channel has some amount of propaganda. Here also are many different opinions, but I find this site very helpful in understanding what is going on. I will not make any prophecies, I simply don't have enough knowledge, but I hope for no more violence and I hope for a reasonable welfare for everybody. That sounds naive hippie-shit, but nothing, really nothing is worth killing people.

Edit: Sorry, that the link is off-topic... Yesterdays news happened to concern only Finnish things, but there is normally foreign news, too, and from the bottom of the page you can find older broadcasts.
    Hanna likes this.

Yes, but the Arab springs backfired didn't they? None of these countries are actually better off. But Crimea probably will be....
    it is probably offtopic, but I would argue that Tunesia is better off, so is Lybia without Gadaffi (just ask all the student girls raped by the dictator), Egypt not, and Crimea may or may not be (time will tell)
    please always correct my (often poor) russian

Киевская хунта действует в лучших традициях своих кумиров. Уже листовки с самолётов разбразывают (типа "хенде хох, русиш швайн", в канун 9 мая это особенно символично). Порадовала двусмысленная фразочка в листовке (подчеркнул красным):

Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna
    Rossiya 24 showed the attacks of Ukrainian army against Slovyansk. It looked extremely disturbing.

I think it's time to do a civilised referendum about this.

With ALL the options, i.e. on everything from everything from complete governance from Kiev, via federalism, autonomy, independence or annexation to Russia.

If Scotland can have a referendum, why not these people?

Let the local people cast their votes and stop this madness.

I think that if I lived there, I would want complete independence for the area. Yes, I am probably naive and don't know enough about it - but I tried to find out and the story really engages me.

Seems to me the area is big enough and has enough resources to go it alone. It's larger than Benelux and has more people than lots of EU countries. They could form alliances with whoever they want - trade agreements, custom unions or whatever.

In that way they can land on their feet, run their area in accordance with the wishes of the majority and decide in peace and quiet what they want for the future, whether it's reverting to Ukraine, remaining independent, going with Russia, trying for EU membership or whatever appeals to the population.

But right now they seem to be 2nd class citizens in their own country and having war waged on them by an illegal government. They may or may not be exploited by Russia in whatever games or agenda Russia may or may not have, and they are certainly blackpainted in an unfair way in Western media.
    Nobody is treating them very well, really, and they are stuck in a country that doesn't respect them and neighbouring another country that may not necessarily offer the solution to their problem either.

If I lived there, I would day "sod 'em all - we can do better". I think the area and people seem cool and interesting. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they can achieve something more appealing than both Russia and certainly Kiev/Ukraine.

Seems to me the area is big enough and has enough resources to go it alone. It's larger than Benelux and has more people than lots of EU countries. They could form alliances with whoever they want - trade agreements, custom unions or whatever. ...
    imho that can never work - not because they are not capable or do not have the resources - but because of the historical context of Ukraine within the Soviet Union and its geographical location as a buffer zone to Russia's west (or south west). The bottom line is Russia does not want a Ukraine (in particular East-ukraine) that aligns itself with Nato/Europe. Now imagine this little independent 'go-it-alone' East Ukraine in 15 years decides to align trade agreements and allegiances etc with the West. Do you think Russia will be happy and alow it to happen? The answer is no. Equally so trouble would arise is Minsk one day decides to orientate itself towards Europe. And I am not blaming Russia. Fact is they do not want Nato in what they perceive to be their own backyard (and partly have some - at least emotional - claim to what they perceive was originally theirs). Hence, it is quite clear that any independent little state (such as an independent east-ukraine) would constantly be bullied by both east and west to conform to their respective whims.

Hanna
    I don't think Russia has anything against the EU or Europe on principle.
    Just to the extent that for some EU=NATO=Russophobia+general bias against Russia.
    Obviously they object to that. I.e. what countries like Poland and the Baltic states do.

Finland for example has reasonably good relations and co-operation with Russia while also being an EU member, but not in NATO. For the most part Finland accepts Russia as it is. People in Finland are not scared of Russia because they know there is logic and consistency to how Russia reacts, it's not some rogue state that does random and crazy things. All sensible people in Finland (my neighbouring country) realise that NATO membership would be an extremely bad and counterproductive idea + it also goes against most people's ideological views too. Even though Finland was part of Imperial Russia for quite a while, Russia has no known designs on Finland.

Whatever you might think about Poland, at least they have chosen their path, stuck with it. As a result there is stability and an improvement in living conditions for large parts of society. Admittedly at a very high price. (mass emigration and brutal economic policies). But they are in a better situation than Ukraine, even though their economy was 1/3 of Ukraines in 1992, it's now twice as big.

The problem in Ukraine seems to be that they are so deeply split that while they are together, that they are just not making progress. The population is pulling the country in two directions, with the help of the superpowers and to the detriment of the population. While at the same time facing economic challenges. It's a formula for failure! The definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. Ukraine has tried doing the same thing for almost 25 years now.I think the events in 2014 shows that status quo must change. Time to try something else, whether it's federalism, splitting up the country or a strong leader that makes them work together whether they want to or not. Just something different.

As for Belarus that you mention; they too picked their path and stuck with it. They have their challenges but at least everyone has a job, country has been modernied/renovated and is stable.
    I don't perceive that as a Russian puppet; they took a different route to Russia and Russia is not running the show there. They just decided to orient themselves eastwards as opposed to westwards.

My impression was that Russia did not mind it if Ukraine managed to co-operate with both the EU and Russia. That's what RT says, anyway.
    Whereas the EU took very strong offense at the idea of Ukraine working with both; and the USA even more so...

Maybe I got it wrong - but that was what I got out of putting both Russian and Western media options together and trying to discern the reality.

If ever there was a country stuck in limbo, it is Ukraine!

Немного о мнении евреев в Израиле:

Quote Originally Posted by www.newsru.co.il/israel/25apr2014/uk_ru_115.html
    В пятницу, 25 апреля, около посольства Российской Федерации в Тель-Авиве, расположенного по адресу улица а-Яркон, 120, прошел очередной митинг в поддержку Украины, против политики Кремля. Для участия в акции собрались около 70 человек.

В то же время, у посольства Украины (ул. Иермиягу, 50) под лозунгом "против хунты и за юго-восток Украины" свою акцию проводили сторонники курса руководства России. Несколько десятков участников этой акции заявляли о росте "фашистских" настроений на Украине.

In my opinion the situation with Finland is quite different. Already in 1905 (after the murder of Bobrikov in 1904 and strike action in 1905) Nicolai II granted Finland autonomous status (as actually was also the case under Alexander II). Independence was declared in 1917 and acknowledged by the new powers to be in Russia. Hence Finland was never part of the Soviet Union (and not in their hearts and minds). This is quite different to Ukraine, which economically and culturally was an integral and essential part of the Union. A man of the soil (Nikita Chruschtschow) becoming General Secretary in CCCP is a reflection of how much the Ukraine was part of the system. Thus Russia is a lot more sensitive to developments there, than it is to Finland. It does obviously help that Finland keeps fairly neutral as you rightly say - it is not seen as an enemy anywhere (though this was not always the case - in 2nd WW Finland did have an allegiance with Germany)

http://uainfo.org/yandex/313611-rasskaz-svidetelnicy-iz-slavyanska.html

Письмо из Славянска. Путано и противоречиво, с фактическими ошибками и спорными заявлениями... но отражает атмосферу и настроения. Разумеется, это только одна точка зрения... Однако внятно сформулированных других точек зрения о происходящем от местных жителей я не слышал. О НАТО, Правом секторе, Вашингтоне и т.д. - было. А о собственно происходящем в городе - как-то не попадалось.

По-моему мнению, все это произошло по странному стечению обстоятельства:
    1 Удачное географическое расположение Славянска
    2 Заключенный договор по добыче сланцевого газа

3 желанием Путина ввести войска на территорию Украины, под видом защиты "убиваемых мирных жителей".
    1. Возможно, но мне не очень понятно о чём речь. Ит-ого, проясни пожалуйста.

2. Стопудово.

3. Возможно да, если не получится создать буферную зону другими средствами. Вопрос лишь в том, является ли это легитимным.

Я бы лично предпочёл не загонять Россию в угол, а попытаться найти компромисс. Если бы кто-то под боком у США или любой другой страны начал мутить что-то подобное, не верю, что эти страны не стали бы вмешиваться для защиты своих интересов, как они это понимают.

Жаль, ит-ого, что ты никак не можешь увидеть, что из-за бессмысленного спора о том, какой конкретно флаг висит на ваших административных зданиях, ты готов развязать большую (или маленькую) войну. Сейчас тебя распирает от несправедливости, но история показывает, что когда первый накал спадает, все хотят закончить, но уже не могут. Остановиться надо прямо сейчас.

1. Возможно, но мне не очень понятно о чём речь. Ит-ого, проясни пожалуйста.
    Транспортный узел. Кажется. Оттуда удобнее всего пакостить по окрестностям.

Жаль, ит-ого, что ты никак не можешь увидеть, что из-за бессмысленного спора о том, какой конкретно флаг висит на ваших административных зданиях, ты готов развязать большую (или маленькую) войну. Сейчас тебя распирает от несправедливости, но история показывает, что когда первый накал спадает, все хотят закончить, но уже не могут. Остановиться надо прямо сейчас.
    Развязывание войны от меня не зависит, а до флагов мне дела нет. Меня бесит, что по городу бегают абсолютно безответственные люди с автоматами, не способные связно сформулировать свои мысли и желания, и это все поддерживается профессиональными диверсантами, которые не дают возможности кому-то хоть относительно вменяемому это возглавить. Там нет никого, с кем можно говорить и договариваться, так как управляют этим не они. Понимаешь? "Сепаратисты" не способны ни к какому строительству или поддержанию порядка. То, что еще пытается работать - остатки ментов, администрации, учреждений - это исключительно вопреки "сепаратистам". Это не власть - они не пытаются выполнять функции власти, а только разрушают.

Полюбуйся интеллектуальным уровнем "Донецкой республики":
    10304634_10203714477528672_3612787278376190553_n.jpg

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast