Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about idioms.

Questions about idioms.

Вопросы об идиомах.

To say 'когда рак свиснеть' roughly means 'never' or 'not going to happen'.

If someone said "Свистящий рак нашли?", would this be obvious what meant, like that's impossible, you can't do that. Or would it be not comprehensible?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Вопросы об идиомах.

To say 'когда рак свиснет' roughly means 'never' or 'not going to happen'.

If someone said "Свистящий рак нашли?", would this be obvious what meant, or would it be not comprehensible?
    когда рак свиснет => когда рак [на горе] свистнет
    Свистящий рак нашли? => Свистящий рак найден? или Нашли свистящего рака?

I think people would generally be puzzled by that question, but eventually they'll figure it out even though that is not 100% accurate. The original saying "never" is: "когда рак на горе свистнет", so the question of had the highly improbable happened would sound like: "Ну что, рак свистнул?"

Thank you very much.

And is it possible to put idioms together, like this? 'Выдумаете порох после дождичка в четверг', this would as sarcasm. From the negative 'пороху не выдумает'.

Thank you very much.

And is it possible to put idioms together, like this? 'Выдумаете порох после дождичка в четверг', this would as sarcasm. From the negative 'пороху не выдумает'.
    Good question. I would personally not do it, as I think the idioms are something very stable. If I would say something like: "That is set in stone once in a blue moon," would that sound good in English?

Подающий надежды оратор IamMarat's Avatar
    "Когда рак на горе свиснет"

Как и большинство идиом, не только в русском, но и в английском языке, данная имеет очень ограниченный диапазон применения. Если на вопрос о каком-то событии, которое может/должно/не может произойти, вы хотите ответить более красиво нежели "никогда", вы говорите "Когда рак на горе свиснет". Только помните, что это не очень вежливо так отвечать. Это обычно говорится шутливо-пренебрежительным тоном.
    Другого применения у этой идиомы просто нет. Конечно, я себе могу представить некоторые варианты с этим выражением. Например: вы встречаете спустя некоторое время человека, который вам как-то сказал "Когда рак на горе свиснет" о каком-то событии, которое взяло, да и произошло. Вы можете сказать ему что-то вроде: "Ты знаешь, а раки на горе хорошо свистят" или "Раз в год и рак на горе свистнет" (Второе, кстати, является соединением двух идиом "Когда рак на горе свистнет" и "Раз в год и палка стреляет"). А вот он вас не спросит: "Вы нашли свистящего рака?". Может быть этот вопрос и был бы логичным, но мы так просто не говорим. Будет просто два варианта: или человек признает, что он был неправ, говоря, что это событие невозможно; или просто не захочет об этом говорить. Вот так

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Good question. I would personally not do it, as I think the idioms are something very stable. If I would say something like: "That is set in stone once in a blue moon," would that sound good in English?
    But we do these things in English, sometimes as jokes. But its possible to put idioms together when there is something parallel about them, that they go together. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.

You can jump the shark, once in a blue moon.

But we do these things in English, sometimes as jokes. But its possible to put idioms together when there is something parallel about them, that they go together. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.
    Exactly. I would personally refrain from making language jokes in English as I know my knowledge of English is very limited and I'm lacking the intuitive sense of what could or could not be said under what circumstances.

But we do these things in English, sometimes as jokes. But its possible to put idioms together
    Соединять идиомы вместе, чтобы выразить какую-то определенную мысль - есть высший пилотаж в знании языка. Даже носители не всегда могут это сделать.
    Вы правильно сказали, что мы это обычно делаем, когда шутим. Поэтому такое часто можно услышать в юмористических передачах, типо КВН. Поэтому это бывает смешно или интересно, что обычно мы так не говорим. Но кто-то это сказал -> мы поняли -> нам понравилось. Так и рождаются шутки

Quote Originally Posted by IamMarat View Post
    типо КВН
    Школьник детектед.

Quote Originally Posted by IamMarat View Post
    Соединять идиомы вместе, чтобы выразить какую-то определенную мысль - есть высший пилотаж в знании языка. Даже носители не всегда могут это сделать.
    Вы правильно сказали, что мы это обычно делаем, когда шутим. Поэтому такое часто можно услышать в юмористических передачах, типо КВН. Поэтому это бывает смешно или интересно, что обычно мы так не говорим. Но кто-то это сказал -> мы поняли -> нам понравилось. Так и рождаются шутки
    This is why I'm trying to do this, to play with these idioms, to learn them, and get more practice. And maybe make jokes too.

Example that is not joke, but naturally would be ok in English: 'под сурдинку он подложил свинью' from the two separate idioms, 'под сурдинку' and 'подложить свинью'. "On the sly he did a dirty trick." Maybe 'with hand on heart', as deception.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Школьник детектед.
    I beg your pardon?!

'под сурдинку он подложил свинью'
    Actually, it doesn't make sense for me. Because "под сурдинку" is a rare phrase. I even looked it up in google I don't think it's an idiom. It's just an old-fashioned language. But it was a nice try

Example that is not joke, but naturally would be ok in English: 'под сурдинку он подложил свинью' from the two separate idioms, 'под сурдинку' and 'подложить свинью'. "On the sly he did a dirty trick." Maybe 'with hand on heart', as deception.
    под сурдинку он подложил свинью => Он подложил свинью под сурдинку.
    Yeah, that doesn't work well in Russian. That sounds like he put a pig under a mute and the meaning is lost.

Oh, yes, I can see the problem with that.

About the other one, in English you could say, "You'll set the world/Thames on fire all right, after the second coming of Christ!" So you can see, its fairly easy to string idioms together, sometimes. Maybe English is different than Russian in this respect.

"You'll set the world/Thames on fire all right, after the second coming of Christ!"
    That means something like "You are good for nothing", doesn't it? Is my guess right?

Not exactly, it is more like, not brilliant. It doesn't really mean the subject is necessarily incapable or incompetent, just not superlative, not spectacular in the eyes of the commenter, at that moment. If someone said this, they just might have to take it back later, and 'eat crow'. What it really tells us is that the commenter is sarcastic.

The meaning is a little loose though, it could be said about someone that is a complete incompetent, a ne'er do well, a good for nothing.

Семь бед, один Reset

"Ни на что не похоже." Как пользуют это? Put noun with? Хлеб ни на что не похоже? Правда ни на что не похоже? (bread is nothing like that) (the truth is nothing like that)

Спасибо большое.

Banned
    "Ни на что не похоже." Как пользуют это? Put noun with? Хлеб ни на что не похоже? Правда ни на что не похоже? (bread is nothing like that) (the truth is nothing like that)

Спасибо большое.
    "bread is nothing like that" and "хлеб ни на что не похож" does not mean the same thing
    "хлеб ни на что не похож" means "bread is something that doesn't look/feel/taste like anything I know"

However "bread is nothing like that" from my understanding would refer to something specific.
    For example
    - This fish tastes like bread.
    - What? Bread is nothing like that!
    Means bread is actually have nothing even close like THIS PARTICULAR fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast