Thread: Would you be so kind to translate this lil letter please? :)

Подающий надежды оратор

Would you be so kind to translate this lil letter please? :)

hello

i hope everyone is in a good mood today!

you see i want to write to a very handsome russian man, i met a while ago, and i would like to send him an email, however im not sure if he speaks english that well. and i also don't trust google Translator. so if a russian native could do it, it would be great. in russian words plz! thank you

So here it is:

"Hello, how are you?

Do you speak English? If not, i will try to speak in Russian
    My name is Sara, I hope you understand me and appreciate my effort to try to speak Russian. I’m just sending you this message because I want to tell you that I admire you very much and I would like to keep talking to you. i hope you accept my friend request."

so thats it, also, how do i finish the email? should i say Sincerely? what do you say when you finish a letter in russia?

thank you all btw, do you trust google translater?

Подающий надежды оратор
    im also new here at this forum

Почтенный гражданин
    Hello!!!!

"Hello, how are you?

Do you speak English? If not, i will try to speak in Russian
    My name is Sara, I hope you understand me and appreciate my effort to try to speak Russian. I’m just sending you this message because I want to tell you that I admire you very much and I would like to keep talking to you. i hope you accept my friend request."

Привет! Как у тебя дела?

Ты говоришь по-английски? Если нет - я буду стараться говорить по-русски
    Меня зовут Сара, я надеюсь, что ты поймешь меня и оценишь мою попытку говорить по-русски. Я отправляю это сообщение только потому, что я хочу сказать: я восхищена тобой и хотела бы продолжать общаться с тобой. Надеюсь, ты примешь моё предложение дружбы.

for finish = С нетерпение жду твоего ответа!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by sararozaryo View Post
    do you trust google translater?
    I use this for correcting my mistakes when I write in English.. in generally = for correcting grammar.

Подающий надежды оратор
    thank you very much, if i say it like this is it wrong? i went to google translater

Здравствуйте, как поживаете?

Вы говорите по-английски? Если нет, то я постараюсь говорить на русском
    Меня зовут Сара, я надеюсь, вы меня поняли и оценили мои усилия, чтобы попытаться говорить на русском. Я просто посылаю Вам это сообщение, потому что я хочу вам сказать, что я восхищаюсь вами очень много, и я хотел бы продолжать говорить с вами. я надеюсь, что вы примите мое предложение дружбы.

Подающий надежды оратор
    thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by sararozaryo View Post
    thank you very much, if i say it like this is it wrong? i went to google translater

Здравствуйте, как поживаете
    Sara, the Google translation is mostly correct, although perhaps too formal-sounding and a bit artificial, like a textbook. For example, it uses the polite/plural forms for "you" instead of the familiar/singular forms (similar to the difference between vous and tu in French). There's also a small grammar mistake in the last sentence (примите should be примете). However, your Russian friend would certainly understand the Google translation -- there aren't any huge errors.

Regarding your question about whether to trust Google translator -- I'm a native English speaker, but I can speak and read Russian not too badly (although far from native fluency). I can also read simple Spanish sentences, and understand some basic points about Spanish grammar, but I can't speak Spanish at all, except for expressions like "buenos tardes" and "gracias". And I know absolutely nothing about Hungarian -- can't speak, can't read it, don't even know any words.

So -- personally, I would trust Google Translate a lot for English/Russian translations (because my understanding of Russian grammar is generally very good)...

...trust it a little bit for English/Spanish (because I know little bit of Spanish grammar)...

...but not trust it at all for English/Hungarian.

To put it another way, the more that you know about Language A and Language B, the more useful and trustworthy Google Translate is as a time-saving tool to help you when translating between A and B.

Also, I think that software translation (like Google Translate or Babelfish) can be compared with a modern electronic sewing machine.

If someone gave you a couple meters of cloth, a packet of buttons, spools of thread, a measuring tape, scissors, and a sewing needle, would you know how to make a button-collar long-sleeve man's shirt by hand?

If the answer is "yes", then with a sewing machine you could make the same shirt in a fraction of the time -- you could, perhaps, even make 3 or 5 or 10 shirts in the same time that it would take to produce 1 shirt with hand-sewing.

But if you have absolutely no idea how to measure, cut, sew, and finish a shirt by hand, then the most modern and advanced of sewing machines will simply allow you to transform the nice fabric, thread, and buttons into A PILE OF SH!T more quickly and efficiently...

Подающий надежды оратор
    Thank you all, well i speak Portuguese (I’m a native from Portugal) Spanish( fluent) and English ( fluent) I’m learning German. i know basic Russian phrases like how are you ? Hello, I’m fine and you? where are you from? etc those little things, and i know some complements , but i only need Google for English to Russian and from Russian to English. of course I’m also trying to learn Russian, but that is a very difficult language, but I’m 20 years old so i have a lot of time to learn... and if him and i turn out to be good friends or more, i will have a motivation to keep learning

Почтенный гражданин
    wow! Welcome to Russian!
    I like Spanish!
    But I know only one thing in Spanish = autoemocion

Подающий надежды оратор
    well Spanish is very similar to Portuguese, almost twins so every person in Portugal speaks Spanish as well. its like a bonus language btw what i use to correct my english is microsoft word, i just change the language to english, and if i write something wrong it tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by kozyablo View Post
    wow! Welcome to Russian!
    I like Spanish!
    But I know only one thing in Spanish = autoemocion