Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the point of the Russian Tourist Invitation ?

Russia's economy is not going to well. I forget the numbers but the BNP increased by like 3%, while the part of the BNP due to Oil revenues was +5%, that means the economy in all other spheres went down a net 2%. I am not saying tourism is the answer, but free money helps

Poor tourist - bad tourist Tell me, what is a bad tourist? One that costs the government more than the toursist can spend?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Russia's economy is not going to well. I forget the numbers but the BNP increased by like 3%, while the part of the BNP due to Oil revenues was +5%, that means the economy in all other spheres went down a net 2%. I am not saying tourism is the answer, but free money helps
    People inside Russia would not agree with you. They say that it's better and better every year. Perhaps tourism could help a bit but it wouldn't be significant at all. Russian authorities chose not to make any effort to develop it. So what? US universities loose way more due to harsh US visa policy than Russian tourism due to harsh Russian visa policy.

Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Poor tourist - bad tourist Tell me, what is a bad tourist? One that costs the government more than the toursist can spend?
    One that doesn't actually contributes to central or local economy.

Tell me why tourism purposes should be more important that symmetrical visa policy if tourism is not that important for Russia?

Почтенный гражданин
    I tend to agree with Vinnie ... and I disagree with Vesh.

Tourism could become a good source of steady revenue for Russia ... tourism has boosted the economic lives of many countries, and Russia is not an exception.

Vesh, the reason that tourism is not a big part of Russian revenue, is precisely because the Russian government has never been open to developing tourism as an economic option. So I do not think your making a logical argument for Russia to be against tourism.

If the government was more "tourism-friendly", you would be astonished how much foreign money would come into Russia and boost the economy.

Sure, the "percentage" of revenue might be low, compared to Russia

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    I tend to agree with Vinnie ... and I disagree with Vesh.

Tourism could become a good source of steady revenue for Russia ... tourism has boosted the economic lives of many countries, and Russia is not an exception.

Vesh, the reason that tourism is not a big part of Russian revenue, is precisely because the Russian government has never been open to developing tourism as an economic option. So I do not think your making a logical argument for Russia to be against tourism.
    I'm not saying Russia is against tourism. I'm saying that priority of tourism is quite low.

[quote=Dobry]If the government was more "tourism-friendly", you would be astonished how much foreign money would come into Russia and boost the economy.

Sure, the "percentage" of revenue might be low, compared to Russia

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesh
    For once Russia stood up for its citizens. Why don't you turn your unsutisfaction to your governments who treat Russians as "second sort" people?
    Vesh,

I am NOT satisfied with U.S. visa treatment...but it

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Perhaps it is not about tourism. Perhaps the Russian Govervment just doesn't want her citizens making friends with foreingers.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Perhaps it is not about tourism. Perhaps the Russian Govervment just doesn't want her citizens making friends with foreingers.
    DDT, coming forward with a dose of reality.

Почтенный гражданин
    It's total BS. There are a lot foreigners in all big cities of Russia. No problem whatsoever to find them and try to make friends.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesh
    It's total BS. There are a lot foreigners in all big cities of Russia. No problem whatsoever to find them and try to make friends.
    I

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    Also, I must pay MUCH more money to see the ballet, opera, concerts, museums, than Russians. I understand the logic, the reasoning, the idea...but in America, or in Europe, you would NEVER pay more than me to see anything. We would both pay the same price for everything. This does NOT help foreign tourism into Russia...foreigners, and Americans, must always pay MUCH more money than Russians. I do not agree with this Russian government policy. It is wrong in my opinion...and certainly not "tourism-friendly."
    I just want to say it's a real shame for Russia that foreigners must pay more than Russians and that they must constantly show their passports etc. I used to travel with my American supervisor and I wished the earth could swallow me up watching all that humiliation she bore.
    But I don't think it might change soon, taking into account who our current government are

Quote Originally Posted by Ataklena
    I just want to say it's a real shame for Russia that foreigners must pay more than Russians and that they must constantly show their passports etc. I used to travel with my American supervisor and I wished the earth could swallow me up watching all that humiliation she bore.
    Why "shame" -- I think, it's quite fair. If for example, I'll need to pay 150 R instead of 50, to visit, for example, Glazunov's exhibition -- I'll think twice before doing so. I'm not that rich.

But I don't think it might change soon, taking into account who our current government are
    What do you mean?
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio
    Why "shame" -- I think, it's quite fair. If for example, I'll need to pay 150 R instead of 50, to visit, for example, Glazunov's exhibition -- I'll think twice before doing so. I'm not that rich.
    Very funny, but the point is that every russian official feels free to treat a foreigner as a man of the second sort. When a foreigner wants to buy a train ticket he must go to another hall and talk to a special cashier who will ask him all the "KGB's questions", like what is he doing in our country, how long will he stay here, what is he going to do in the city of arrival.. Isn't it a shame?

What do you mean?
    I mean that zenophobia is still activelly used by our government to manipulate the public opinion. Like with Polaсks last summer...

Почтенный гражданин

I understand the debate...but Scorpio, please explain why you think it is fair?

And why do you not want foreigners to see wonderful exhibitions?

I saw the Chagall exhibit at the State Russian Museum, in September...but I had to pay MUCH more money, than my girlfriend and her son. This is not fair, not right.

To pay more, because of being a foreigner?? ... I consider this "discrimination". I am treated unfairly (must pay more) precisely because I am an American. How is this fair?

Nowhere else in Europe, nor in America, does this happen. If you and I go to any other museum in Europe, or the U.S. ... we will both be treated equally, and both pay the same price.

And you did not answer the "militzia" problem... many, many stories of Americans (especially Americans) held by the militzia trying to get money...hours spent in a militzia station...passports stolen by militzia...many true stories of such treatment. These are the stories that cause Americans to consider NOT traveling to Russia.

Почётный участник
    Dobry, I think it was a joke. Glazunov is a very pretentious painter (his idea is that Russia is the third Rome etc.. it's just for Russian Empire's fans )

Почтенный гражданин
    Dobry, I think it was a joke. Glazunov is a very pretentious painter (his idea is that Russia is the third Rome etc.. it's just for Russian Empire's fans )
    Ah, well I

Властелин
    Very funny, but the point is that every russian official feels free to treat a foreigner as a man of the second sort.
    This is the nature of the beast in every country. The cold war is on, and Russians abroad get a sh*tty welcome as well. Maybe not quite to the same extent though, but make no mistake, it's there.

And Dobry, welcome to our world. Well, no mine anymore, since I got a Canadian passport several years ago. What a relief, I am a different person now, or so it feels.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    Very funny, but the point is that every russian official feels free to treat a foreigner as a man of the second sort.
    This is the nature of the beast in every country. The cold war is on, and Russians get a sh*tty welcome abroad as well. Maybe not quite to the same extent though, but make no mistake, it's there.

And Dobry, welcome to our world.
    Hehe

Oh, I

Властелин
    That's true, turd flinging is mostly officlal business. Otherwise it's a lot better than it used to be 20 years ago. So let's say the glass is half full.

And BTW, you re taking all these unpleasant moments in R way too personally. Americans dont go to Russia for vacation because they can choose to go to Amsterdam instead. I had to learn another language, now a second one, compete for jobs in an unfavorable immigrant position, break all my ties, etc just to get TF away.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc

And BTW, you re taking all these unpleasant moments in R way too personally.
    Hehe, yep, maybe.

But actually...I LOVE to vacation in Russia!!! Especially at the dacha of my best friend...I

Властелин
    [quote=Dobry]
    No, I don

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast