Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is easy about Russian?

Властелин
    [quote=Kirill2142][quote=basurero] Destruction. In Russian = уничтожение. In Spanish = destrucci

Почётный участник
    [quote=laxxy][quote=Kirill2142][quote=basurero] Destruction. In Russian = уничтожение. In Spanish = destrucci

Старший оракул
    well chinese is hard for everybody, so there is some fairness
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Властелин
    [quote=Kirill2142][quote=laxxy][quote=Kirill2142][quote=basurero] Destruction. In Russian = уничтожение. In Spanish = destrucci

Почётный участник
    Итог:
    Бросайте это дело, ребята. Не учите Великий и Могучий Русский Язык - он оооочень сложный. Учите китайский - китайцев много, будет с кем поговорить.

I'm kiddin'

awb
    Увлечённый спикер
    but Chinese has a lot with word order and intonation. besides, cases/adjective endings/etc. aren't hard once you get used to them. building vocabulary is actually more of a challenge.

Завсегдатай
    well Chinese has no gender, no cases, no verb tense, no declensions of any kind afaik... That should simplify a few things...
    Sometimes it oversimplifies it though. You get a simple sentence but it is so ambiguous that you can't tell what it means anyway. Lol

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirill2142
    ... in my opinion, English and other European languages are easier for Russians than Chinese but Russian's very hard for Europeans like Chinese. Strange...
    Check it out:

"A Russian woman in a Mandarin contest in Shanghai was so good that she swept judges off their feet. They made an exception to the planned 12 winners (all Chinese) so she could enter the national final in Beijing, says Yang Fan."

FULL STORY
    —Ravin' Dave

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by RavinDave
    ... in my opinion, English and other European languages are easier for Russians than Chinese but Russian's very hard for Europeans like Chinese. Strange...
    Check it out:

"A Russian woman in a Mandarin contest in Shanghai was so good that she swept judges off their feet. They made an exception to the planned 12 winners (all Chinese) so she could enter the national final in Beijing, says Yang Fan."

FULL STORY
    Good girl! But she's rather exclusion than rule

Почётный участник
    Hhehe-he ... she may be the "exception" to the rule, but I can tell you that she sure has the gang at ChinesePod.com impressed. They think that Russians must have a preternatural talent for language.

She studied 2 years, then spent a brief time in China and was speaking Mandarin better than most natives.

That sort of makes me think that all this fuss about "the toughest language" is silly. In the end, we psych ourselves out and over-analyze everything. Kids don't do that and that's why they pick up language much easier than adults.
    —Ravin' Dave

Властелин
    Hhehe-he ... she may be the "exception" to the rule, but I can tell you that she sure has the gang at ChinesePod.com impressed. They think that Russians must have a preternatural talent for language.

She studied 2 years, then spent a brief time in China and was speaking Mandarin better than most natives.
    "better than most natives"? what do you mean by that?

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    native = native speaker; someone who speaks it from birth as their 1st language

Maybe "most" is a bit too strong -- but it is widely reported that her Mandarin fluency and pronunciation is almost indistinguishable from that of someone born into the language and speaking it all their life. It is said that her pronunciation (in particular) is even better than many Mandarin Chinese.

Even if the Chinese newspaper accounts are exaggerating her ability, it still illustrates that a foreigner wishing to speak Chinese does not need to be as intimidated at the prospect as they very often are. Indeed, making that point was her entire motivation for entering the contest.
    —Ravin' Dave

Властелин
    native = native speaker; someone who speaks it from birth as their 1st language

Maybe "most" is a bit too strong -- but it is widely reported that her Mandarin fluency and pronunciation is almost indistinguishable from that of someone born into the language and speaking it all their life.
    That I can believe, I think it is achievable in any language if one really works hard for that purpose. But I don't think it's possible to speak better than a native, like it's hardly possible for something to be wetter than water.
    Of course her style might be more eloquent than that of a less-educated native Chinese speaker, but I would not really lump that together with the language ability itself.

Старший оракул
    i think its possible. i have heard plenty of uneducated English people speak and its not just a question of eloquence. they make grammatical errors and can have poor vocabulary and even make collocation errors. i think for a medium-well educated person with motivation and a drive to really speak well its fully possible to speak better than an uneducated native.
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Columbo
    i think its possible. i have heard plenty of uneducated English people speak and its not just a question of eloquence. they make grammatical errors and can have poor vocabulary and even make collocation errors. i think for a medium-well educated person with motivation and a drive to really speak well its fully possible to speak better than an uneducated native.
    True, native speakers do not always speak in perfectly correct language, and they do not have to; their colloquialisms, grammatical mistakes, and other things do not mean that they have a poor command of the language; they just speak a different variety of it. These mistakes never suggest that the person is not speaking in his native language and are quite different from those made by foreigners.

I would always say "ja s Kieva" rather than "ja iz Kieva" in a conversation in Russian, I may use "sjudoj/tudoj" sometimes -- these are nonstandard and foreign learners would be better off not imitating that, but really I do not consider them a problem. Such things should not be taken into account when comparing natives' and foreigners' speech.

Although, thinking that the lady in question is from Shanghai, and this is a Mandarin contest -- it actually makes more sense, as Mandarin was perhaps a foreign language for most participants there.

Of course this is not to belittle her achievement, which is really quite amazing.

Почтенный гражданин
    I may use "sjudoj/tudoj" sometimes -- these are nonstandard and foreign learners would be better off not imitating that, but really I do not consider them a problem.
    Very bad, this is an uncorrect way of speaking in Russian and normally means that the person is uneducated. Usually, people speaking like that considered to come from vilages.
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Завсегдатай
    True, native speakers do not always speak in perfectly correct language, and they do not have to; their colloquialisms, grammatical mistakes, and other things do not mean that they have a poor command of the language; they just speak a different variety of it. These mistakes never suggest that the person is not speaking in his native language and are quite different from those made by foreigners.
    Very true. I never thought about that. These people probably wouldn't be able to understand an intellectual debate on TV or something like that, but then again if you stuck the debaters on a construction site I doubt they would be able to understand all the uneducated slang and colloquialisms....

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Remyisme
    I may use "sjudoj/tudoj" sometimes -- these are nonstandard and foreign learners would be better off not imitating that, but really I do not consider them a problem.
    Very bad, this is an uncorrect way of speaking in Russian and normally means that the person is uneducated. Usually, people speaking like that considered to come from vilages.
    I haven't come from a village but everyone around me has always spoken like that. And it annoys "potomstvennaja gorodskaja intellihentsyja" from Moscow which is good

Властелин
    "sjudoj/tudoj"
    Не поняла

Quote Originally Posted by Indra
    "sjudoj/tudoj"
    Не поняла
    "Сюдой"/"тудой" вместо сюда/туда.

Например: - Не иди той дорогой, вот сюдой ближе.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast