Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: If I was to take a trip to Russia

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    I think svar45 is rather fuzzy
    What's wrong with making up your own language?????

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Alware
    kumbai hahum. duvh bhup zeebabushlabibim. ね?

Старший оракул
    I googled "warm and fuzzy". It means "affectionate", and not "good, helpless, not aggressive animal kiddy or human been child".
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Alware
    kumbai hahum. duvh bhup zeebabushlabibim. ね?
    That's what I meant, it's fun

Старший оракул
    Fuzzy Sapiens most likely refers to their body hair. fuzzy alone is a texture, like fuzzy felts (a fuzzy sticker game for kids)
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Почётный участник
    Vadim84, shame on you...you don't read what I said.

warm-and-fuzzy = белый и пушистый = affectionate, amatory, fond, tender, devoted etc...

sorry, but ppl who lives and tougths by vocabulareis are very narrow...

"fuzzy words" = “нечеткие слова”,"путаные слова", "неясная речь", "детская речь" = gibberish, jabber, ribble-rabble, such words are deep context dependent, their meaning depends on the query they have been used. If You are not deep in context, father or mother of child, you can't understand them. They will have no sense for you.
    Also it's such words is a half-terms in science, if you are non in context you don't understands when two mathematics speaks their language, but they speaks and understand each other speaking. It's not a slang! It's words that not born yet and possible they die tomorrow in that state! You can’t writes or reads it’s in vocabulary! In vocabulary is only “stable” words!
    All diplomats always speaks fuzzy, using their fuzzy lingvo. American diplomats all known by their fuzzy words, example "we send a strong massage" it's can means - "now we will bomb your country, dude" or opposite "we must say something to you, please, hear us", it’s depends of political situation.

Shame on ...someone... that I must express this too you! Who are linguists in that forum?! You are or me?!

Lt. Columbo, you can't understands what’s means “Fuzzy Sapiens”, if not read the book. Because it's another fuzzy word that author used for describe thinking species. You can't get sense by googling it or just watch it in dictionary.

Завсегдатай
    C'mon, svar45, the native speakers tell you they don't understand that word the way you do. Why are you insisting?

Imagine a foreigner takes some stupid word like "табурет" and tries to persuade you that's a slang term for "honest or desent man" just because he feels that way! And when you try to tell him nobody will understand what he means he'll begin to argue and use in his posts "inventions" like "табуретные люди", "табуретные слова", etc.

Почётный участник
    I'm give up! I can't speak English!

Word semantics is gaining increasing
    interest within linguistics in view of
    both, more adequate representational
    structures of the semantic system and
    methods and procedures to analyse it
    empirically. Due to the fact formal and
    operational means have been devised to
    describe and represent word connotation
    and/or denotation, this paper discusses
    some of the empirical problems connected
    with natural languages' varying and
    vague meanings
    , how these can be analysed
    statistically from discourse data,
    and represented formally as fuzzy system
    of vocabulary mappings

all text in English:

FUZZY WORD MEANING ANALYSIS AND REPRESENTATION IN LINGUISTIC

Завсегдатай
    OK, what's about "fluffy"? Will it work like russian "белый и пушистый"? Because I've heard people saying "fluffy stories", "fluffy feelings", etc.

Почётный участник
    I’ts strong synonym too “fuzzy” in English? But my personal means is some kind of “пьяный”=“drunk” or “взбитый” about bed, pillow, cover… “from fluffy liquid we getting foam”, maybe. That this word means to me.

Старший оракул
    Vadim84, shame on you...you don't read what I said.
    Svar, have you read what I and other speakers said to you?
    sorry, but ppl who lives and tougths by vocabulareis are very narrow...
    First, I don't live that way. Second, ppl who live using their own language are the ones who are narrow-minded because they can't be understood by other ppl who speak the accepted language.
    Speakers of different languages think differently. English speakers think differently than you. Can't you understand this simple truth? What is obvious to you isn't obvious to them. They can't deduce what you mean since they have different connotations of words.
    If you don't follow the rules which are set in dictionaries you won't be understood properly. It's that simple.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

Почтенный гражданин
    " Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear,
    but Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair!
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he?"
    Не балуй!

Властелин
    Yea I personally use 'fluffy' for 'pushistyi", I've never been too certain of this choice.

Почтенный гражданин
    svr: I think it would do much good for you if you didn't try using quite so many words whose exact meaning you are not sure about your stuff is rather hard to read as it is
    Laxxy, good advice. If I were Svar's English professor, I would strongly limit his use of some vocabulary, until he developed context understanding, and how to use words in different situations.

Svar, I speak sincerely now, to try to help you with English-speakers... some of your vocabulary and your context could easily start arguments, maybe fights, in some situations. I've had similar problems when I lived in Moscow and Petersburg. Also trying to translate "word-for-word" between languages is very bad... many misunderstandings.

Dobry: Note that svr didn't say anything about Chehov or Bulgakov, he was talking specifically about Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky... I definitely agree with him about those two. That's just me, of course But I think however much substance you have, you can't really be called a great writer if you do not have style (the inverse is possible though). And, at least with Dostoyevsky, there are major issues with substance as well.
    And I do think we can call Pelevin a modern classic of Russian literature already. Just like we can call smo. like Gaiman a modern classic of English literature.
    Yes, I agree. Again, I was not limiting good Russian writers to only a few. My idea is that for each person... each of us... there are writers who will speak to some of us in their writings... and there are writers who will not speak to some of us in their writings. Personally, I don't like Tolstoy's writings... but Dostoevsky has taught me very much about humanity, and myself.

I felt...believed that Svar was saying I should not read many Russian writers,because I was not Russian, and therefore I could never know what the writers were saying... or who the good writers are. This I felt was offensive to my intelligence.

This was my first understanding of Svar's posts. I believe now this was a mistake, and misunderstanding.

Thinking about it, a few years back I saw a horrendous avant-garde Russian movie about a guy walking through the Hermitage. I think it was probably the worst, most stupid, boring and stereotypical movie I've seen in my life. But after that I've talked to an American lady who was actually quite impressed and excited about it showing Russian soul and all...
    Here, this movie is named, "The Arc"... very famous and popular here. Funny... I thought it was a good movie, and my ex-wife (Belarussian), it pleased her very much. I have spent MANY hours and days in the Hermitage, and this movie gives me good memories.

Some people like potatoes... others like carrots.

I think it happens quite often that things that are not that popular at home appeal greatly to foreigners. e.g. Patricia Kaas, a French singer who was rather obscure at home, was a cultural phenomenon in Russia at one time. I personally like Japanese 演歌 music (think Kill Bill), that most Japanese of my age and below find utterly boring...
    This reminds me of "Konstantine"... an American movie with Keanu Reeves that was very popular in Europe... I do not understand... not a good movie.

But one of the best American movies is "The Shawshank Redemption"... with Timothy Robbins, and Morgan Freeman...about a man wrongfully sent to prison, his life in prison, and then his escape.

Many of my my Russian friends only think of this movie, for the escape, and the cleverness of the escape... but for many Americans it is a symbol, a metaphor, for the hope and freedom we keep in our souls, during very bad and difficult times. "Hope may be the best of things." Vey much part of the "American Spirit."

But whatever culture or country, each of us gain something from the art of each other. Good art, literature, music, or poetry contain universal gifts, truths for everyone... from all languages and cultures.

A poem from Walt Whitman... one of America's most famous poets... I know it may be difficult for non-native English speakers... but very important, powerful, strong...

O ME! O life!... of the questions of these recurring;
    Of the endless trains of the faithless—of cities fill’d with the foolish;
    Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
    Of eyes that vainly crave the light—of the objects mean—of the struggle ever renew’d;
    Of the poor results of all—of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me;
    Of the empty and useless years of the rest—with the rest me intertwined;
    The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?

Answer.

That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
    That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    I felt...believed that Svar was saying I should not read many Russian writers,because I was not Russian, and therefore I could not ever know what the writers were saying... or who the good writers are. This I felt was offensive to my intelligence.

This was my first understanding of Svar's posts. I believe now this was a mistake, and misunderstanding.
    right, I don't think that is what he meant at all.

Here, this movie is named, "The Arc"... very famous and popular here. Funny... I thought it was a good movie, and my ex-wife (Belarussian), it pleased her very much. I have spent MANY hours in the Hermitage, and this movie gives me good memories.

Some people like potatoes... others like carrots.
    yup. which is good.

I think it happens quite often that things that are not that popular at home appeal greatly to foreigners. e.g. Patricia Kaas, a French singer who was rather obscure at home, was a cultural phenomenon in Russia at one time. I personally like Japanese 演歌 music (think Kill Bill), that most Japanese of my age and below find utterly boring...
    This reminds me of "Konstantine"... an American movie with Keanu Reeves that was very popular in Europe... I do not understand... not a good movie.
    Was it the one based on the Hellblazer comic series? I wanted to see it for some time (I think it is a pretty good series), but never actually got to it. The comic book setting is very British, I wonder if they kept that in the movie. If they did, I can see how it could appeal more to people in Europe.

But whatever culture or country, we each gain something from the art of each other.
    True... and the things that appeal most to foreigners with a different background, etc, can never be the same that appeal most at home...
    Foreigners will not be quite as annoyed at the local culture stereotypes since they haven't been overexposed to them, and they won't see fake parts so easily. Stereotypes might be even good, since they can make it easier to understand. On the other hand they won't understand many local jokes, implied references, etc., which make many movies/books/etc much more attractive...

Also we all have some set beliefs about what looks right and what doesn't... e.g. for me a poem is something that both has a regular rhythm (not sure that is the word, Russian is "razmer", but I think you know what I am talking about), and rhymes. If it doesn't, it does not mean it's bad, I liked the one you quoted, but it's not a poem for me, there should really be a different name for this art form...

It seems that such poems are more popular with Americans. Which is a shame imo, English is a much better language for regular poetry than most, including Russian...

Почтенный гражданин
    (I can't believe I'm giving an English lesson on 'fluffy' and 'fuzzy')

Each of these words can mean the same, or change into different meanings... depends on situation, tone, and context... and each can become very pleasant...or an insult.

"The teddy bear is fluffy... the teddy bear is fuzzy."

Each of these is pleasant... but "fluffy" is softer to touch, more pleasing. "Fluffy" is closer to velvet, "fuzzy" is closer to wool, or a boar's hair (coarser, not as soft as velvet).

"He speaks fluffy." This can be considered to be negative, an insult. Someone who is "conceited"... someone who thinks he or she is better, more important than you, and speaks to you in a very formal, or "patronizing" way. For some English-speakers, this gives the feeling of a "master talking to a servant (you)". Prince talking to a floor-scrubber.

"He speaks fuzzy." This can also have several meanings, but it is sometimes an insult, offensive. If you say "you speak fuzzy" to me, then I may think you are saying my English grammar, vocabulary, pronounciation, or spelling is bad...that my English is not clear, and that I am making mistakes, so my English must be bad.

This is a basic explanation, from my own experience as an English professor. There are other meanings for these words, but most are based on context and... very importantly, location. This is part of the difficulty of English... meanings can change from New York, to Texas, to Los Angeles. Aussie, Ireland, Britain, Canada also.

My opinion after teaching many Spaniards and Russians.

Властелин
    There are other meanings for these words, but most are based on context and... very importantly, location.
    So.
    "These is a west gates of port cities Bal Harbor, new citi wolls would highest and mere stout. A busy main street run from here to the distant square" you must not call "bad English"? If you do, I'll point to your own opinion about "meanings and other stuff can vary from Los Angeles to Brisbane"?
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

Почтенный гражданин

Was it the one based on the Hellblazer comic series? I wanted to see it for some time (I think it is a pretty good series), but never actually got to it. The comic book setting is very British, I wonder if they kept that in the movie. If they did, I can see how it could appeal more to people in Europe.
    Yup... Hellblazer comic series. I still keep my collection. Great series. And I still keep all of my Gaiman comic series. "Sandman" is my favorite. Ironic, now talking of movies, I very much liked Night Watch, but my friends say it's not popular in Russia... but I liked the novels very much.

The movie "V for Vendetta"? Popular in Russia? I have heard nothing about Russian thoughts... but I think one of the best movies in years (from the same brothers who did " The Matrix.")

But whatever culture or country, we each gain something from the art of each other.
    True... and the things that appeal most to foreigners with a different background, etc, can never be the same that appeal most at home...
    Foreigners will not be quite as annoyed at the local culture stereotypes since they haven't been overexposed to them, and they won't see fake parts so easily. Stereotypes might be even good, since they can make it easier to understand. On the other hand they won't understand many local jokes, implied references, etc., which make many movies/books/etc much more attractive...

Also we all have some set beliefs about what looks right and what doesn't... e.g. for me a poem is something that both has a regular rhythm (not sure that is the word, Russian is "razmer", but I think you know what I am talking about), and rhymes. If it doesn't, it does not mean it's bad, I liked the one you quoted, but it's not a poem for me, there should really be a different name for this art form...

It seems that such poems are more popular with Americans. Which is a shame imo, English is a much better language for regular poetry than most, including Russian...
    True, Laxxy, and well-said... wise words.

English works well for writing poetry... Russian works well for writing literature/prose. My opinion.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    There are other meanings for these words, but most are based on context and... very importantly, location.
    So.
    "These is a west gates of port cities Bal Harbor, new citi wolls would highest and mere stout. A busy main street run from here to the distant square" you must not call "bad English"? If you do, I'll point to your own opinion about "meanings and other stuff can vary from Los Angeles to Brisbane"?
    There it doesn't read here nor fuzzy niether fluffy

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    So.
    Vincent,
    clever , but...

Your point is not clear...
    If I put you in the streets of inner city St. Louis, USA for one day... and then transport you to Birmingham, U.K. for one day... will the English context, pronounciation, meanings, words, vocabulary match exactly?... they are both forms of English.

I assume you don't teach language... if you did you would understand exactly my meaning.

There are several variations of English... and American English has several dialects/forms based on location and culture.

And I NEVER labeled any style of English as "bad"! Where did you get THAT from!? Because that is not from anything that I
    wrote.

Add-on... I just thought of a very good example.... native-English speakers chime in if you want.

"Last night I got really pissed"

Good example of different meanings in English.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast