Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for language exchange

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcole View Post
    Oh! I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying, Helene. Maybe in that case you can just say, "It sounds literary".
    Perhaps the word "formal" also conveys this meaning.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Helenej View Post
    Perhaps the word "formal" also conveys this meaning.
    I think you're right. "Formal" is pretty close to what you're trying to say.

Почтенный гражданин
    Hey Helene, I was waiting for a response from you in English. I didn't know if you were waiting on me or not...lol

Lena
    Hey Helene, I was waiting for a response from you in English. I didn't know if you were waiting on me or not...lol
    Oh, really? Excuse me, I didn't think it was of any interest to you. I thought it was mere practice. Ok, I'll redeem my mistake in a short while.

Lena
    My friend is feminine and works as a long-distance truck driver. Is it really surprising?
    It is surprising for me (or to me?). I have never saw or hear about a woman working as a long distance truck driver.

Do you recommend any book which you loved to read?
    Well, I don’t read much, to be honest. The more I hardly ever read fiction at all. I love Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina and his Resurrection, Goncharov’s Oblomov, Bulgakov’s Heart of a Dog, Somerset Maugham’s stories, all of them, all the stories by O’Henry, Heaven Has No Favorites by Remarque, Jack London’s Martin Eden, and many others, I guess. Yet I like opinion journalism not less. I also like more practical books like Dale Carnegie’s things and similar to those. I like books like The Amusing Bible by Léo Taxil, I don’t know of what genre it is.
    In your opinion, how do English and Russian writer differ?
    I don’t know. I doubt there can be any satisfactory answer to this question.
    Do you think male and female writers differ?
    Yes, I do. I think male writers are definitely brighter than female ones.

Ooh, it was a tough essey. I had to look up all those names and titles, and look for “opinion journalism”. I failed to find the translation of the word “публицистика” and “познавательный”.

Почтенный гражданин
    It is surprising for me (to me). I have never saw (seen) or hear (heard) about a woman working as a long distance truck driver.

I’m going to look into some of those books you mentioned. Of course, these days I prefer to get e-books.

I suppose talking about differences between writers is a lengthy subject. You know, I have some friends that I read books with. We pick a book, and as we read it together we discuss it. It’s an interesting way to generate conversation and find out about a person.
    You surprise me to say that you think male writers are better than female. I wonder why that may be?

I looked up “публицистика”, and it said that meant “social and political journalism”. “Познавательный” apparently means “cognitive”. Of course, I’m continually amazed at your English. You don’t seem to have much problem expressing yourself in writing, with just a few mistakes here or there and not knowing a proper word. Occasionally you’re not sure about a tense. I hope this continues to be a good source of practice for you. By writing to you about life in general I’m hoping to keep your interest alive. I wouldn’t want this to become a bore to you…lol.

Вообще-то, я вас также приглашу и мной делиться свою мысли. Это не только интересно, но вашего хорошее упражнение по-английски. Я найду эту перепалку стимулирующей и лучше для обучения. Скоро....вы не совершенный глагол используете для действия не уже начало?

Basically, I invite you to share your thoughts with me, too. Not only am I interested, but it would be good practice for you in English. I have found this exchange to be a challenge and a good learning tool. I have a quick question for you…do you use imperfective verbs for actions not yet begun?

Америка очень трудилось равенство вестй к рабочему месту. Можно женщина или мужчина работать в какой-нибудь работе если у них есть способности. А ешё есть дискриминация.

America has worked hard to bring equality to the workplace. Any job can be done by a man or woman, as long as they have the capability. There is still discrimination, though.

Ну, сегодня это воскресенье и я обычно не работаю. Это смешно какой мы сознаниями обыкновения. Некоторый из нас чувствуем своих как уютним с новим вешами, другие нет. Может быть это важно у нас есть равновесие. Много раз я чувствую себя также о большинства вещей. Я обычно не иду дальний левый или правый, но нахожу место в середине. Я всегда слушал, «В всех вещах, умеренность.»

Well, today is Sunday, and I don’t usually work. Isn’t it funny how we’re creatures of habit? Some people are comfortable with new things, others are not. Maybe it’s important to have a balance. I often feel that way about most things. I don’t usually go far left, or far right, but find somewhere in the middle to exist. I’ve always heard, “In all things, moderation.”

Lena
    Вообще-то (omit, this word doesn’t make sense here), я вас также (тоже=too, while также=also, it means in addition) приглашу (приглашаю, continuous in an English sentense should be conveyed by imperfectives except the sentences like “I have known him for years”) и(omit) мной делиться свою мысли (делиться со мной своими мыслями).
    Это не только будет (I would make it future) мне интересно, но вашего хорошее упражнение по-английски (you omitted both the subject and the predicate in this sentence after comma. There should be at least one principal part of the sentence. Это было бы для вас хорошей практикой в английском. Это – subject, i.e. делиться мыслями, было бы практикой – compound nominal predicate.)
    Я найду (считаю, have found is the past time in fact being present in form, you shouldn’t convey it by the future, I rendered it by the present) эту перепалку (этот обмен) стимулирующей (хорошей задачей) и лучше для обучения (и хорошим инструментом для обучения).
    Скоро - У меня к вам короткий вопрос.
    Вы не совершенный глагол используете для действия не уже начало? - Вы используете совершенные глаголы для выражения действий, которые еще не начались?

Basically, I invite you to share your thoughts with me, too. Not only am I interested, but it would be good practice for you in English. I have found this exchange to be a challenge and a good learning tool. I have a quick question for you…do you use imperfective verbs for actions not yet begun?

Америка очень трудилось равенство вестй к рабочему месту. (Америка приложила много усилий для того, чтобы обеспечить равные условия труда для всех.)
    Можно женщина или мужчина работать в какой-нибудь работе если у них есть способности. Мужчины и женщины могут выполнять любую работу, если у них есть к ней способности.
    А ешё есть дискриминация. (Хотя все еще существует дискриминация.) Such abstract nouns as discrimination cannot be быть, they can существовать.)
    America has worked hard to bring equality to the workplace. Any job can be done by a man or woman, as long as they have the capability. There is still discrimination, though.

Ну (omit) сегодня это (omit) воскресенье(,) и я обычно не работаю (в такие дни).
    Это смешно (Разве не забавно, the original sentence is a question) (,) какой мы сознаниями обыкновения (насколько мы зависим от привычек, cannot be translated literally.)
    Некоторый (некоторые) из нас чувствуем (чувствуют) своих (себя) как(omit) уютним (уютно) с новим вешами (с чем-то новым), (а) другие нет.
    Может быть это важно у нас есть равновесие. Наверное (expresses a bigger degree of confidence) (,) действительно важно соблюдать равновесие.

Lena
    It is surprising for me (to me). I have never saw (seen) or hear (heard) about a woman working as a long distance truck driver.
    When I saw your “seen” and “heard” I started laughing nervously. I even couldn’t believe my eyes. I’d known that for years, yet I put it that way. This is how things are about learning a language with some individuals.

You surprise me to say that you think male writers are better than female. I wonder why that may be?
    Just because I think that an average man is cleverer than an average woman. Didn’t you know?
    The great majority of the scientists and writers have been males, btw.

I looked up “публицистика”, and it said that meant “social and political journalism”. “Познавательный” apparently means “cognitive”.
    It seems to me that cognitive goes with such words as abilities, when we speak about conscious intellectual activity. I'm afraid I cannot say a cognitive book.

Of course, I’m continually amazed at your English. You don’t seem to have much problem expressing yourself in writing, with just a few mistakes here or there and not knowing a proper word. Occasionally you’re not sure about a tense.
    But along with this I can hardly speak. It takes me a huge amount of time to find the proper word. I'm continuously like, "Umm... Ehh ... Umm" The speaking part of my brain must be turned off, I guess

Lena
    Kevin, where is your homework? I cannot see it. Don't say you had a headache.
    Sit down. You've got a two.

Почтенный гражданин
    Kevin, where is your homework? I cannot see it. Don't say you had a headache.
    Sit down. You've got a two.
    lol...yes...I'll answer both after I have some coffee

Почтенный гражданин
    When I saw your “seen” and “heard” I started laughing nervously. I even couldn’t believe my eyes. I’d known that for years, yet I put it that way. This is how things are about learning a language with some individuals.
    I know what you mean. Some of the mistakes I make that you correct I can’t help but wonder how I made them. They seem so simple, like I wasn’t paying attention. As I’ve thought about what I’m doing, I think I don’t use the instrumental case enough, or as you seem to employ it.

Just because I think that an average man is cleverer than an average woman. Didn’t you know?
    The great majority of the scientists and writers have been males, btw.
    That’s so funny to read that from you…lol. Many feminists in this country would have a cow if they read that from you (in case you don’t’ know, that phrase “have a cow” means to get very upset). Myself, I notice that women seem to write about the feelings of characters in their work more so than men. Women can be more descriptive, perhaps.

It seems to me that cognitive goes with such words as abilities, when we speak about conscious intellectual activity. I'm afraid I cannot say a cognitive book.
    You’re correct, that wouldn’t be right to say. But it is a good word to know, don’t you think?

But along with this I can hardly speak. It takes me a huge amount of time to find the proper word. I'm continuously like, "Umm... Ehh ... Umm" The speaking part of my brain must be turned off, I guess
    I certainly can relate. This idea about Skyping…it’s not that I’m shy or anything, I’m just afraid that I need to learn a little bit more before I jump into it. I don’t mind helping you with the English, though. Maybe we should Skype just so I can do that for you. You wouldn’t have to feel self-conscious. I wouldn’t mind how little you could say. I just wouldn’t be able to help you out in Russian…lol.

So did you want to split our letters up? Keep one in all English, and one in Russian? I noticed that you had done that, and just thought it was what you preferred. Let me know. - - Well, Mondays are definitely not my favorite day. It’s hard to get going after the weekend. I watched that movie Chronicle. It must have cost them a lot of money to make, but it didn’t have a real complicated plot. The ending was not the best.
    Well, our election is tomorrow. I can’t wait to find out who will win. I usually vote by mail these days, so I sent my vote in several days ago. It seems all we do anymore these days is fight back and forth. Nobody wants to be the loser. It’s sad, and all we do is suffer for it.

Почтенный гражданин
    Наш последний болшой праздник Thanksgiving. В те времени мы едим очень еды, которая ладно...ха ха. Что ваш любимый праздник?

Our next big holiday is Thanksgiving. During that we eat lots of food, which I don’t mind at all…lol. What is your favorite holiday?

У меня есть вопрос об исправления. В этом предложении, «...делиться со мной своими мыслями,» почему «своими мыслями» в творительном падеже? Я думал это было бы в винительном падеже...

I have a question about a correction. In the sentence, “…делиться со мной своими мыслями,” why is “ своими мыслями” in the instrumental case? I thought it would be in the accusative case…

Я был же сяду на подьезде с моей семей. У нас был огонь и мы разговариваем о вести. Моя любимая предмета наука. Мне нравится вести об електроникы или мироздания. Вы думали ли про клонирования? Пусть мне вас прошу: если у вас есть шанс, разрешите ли себя клонировать? Да, я было бы...ха ха

I was just sitting on the front porch with the family. We had a fire and talked about the news. One of my favorite subjects is science. I like news about electronics, or the universe. Have you ever thought about cloning? Let me ask you: if you had the chance, would you permit yourself to be cloned? I would…haha.

Я думал что я было бы здесь приложить свою картину. Это я у дома же думая. Я не сниму хорошую картину...ха ха.

I thought I would attach a picture of myself here. This is me at home just thinking. I don’t take very good pictures…haha.
    Kevin.4.19.08.4-28-12-17-52-08.jpg

Мне нравится наш онлайн чат. Наверное вы хорошо печатать! Вы мне скажите о вашего слышную книги...я еще предпочту читать книгу, но я вижу как вами это хорошую практику. Я желал что я мог бы печатал с русским, но я было бы слишком медленно.

I enjoyed our chat online. You certainly type well! You mentioned your audio book you were listening to…I still prefer to read a book, but I see how it’s good practice for you. I wish I could have typed in Russian during our chat, but I would have been too slow.

Итак я буду это провожу и поставить в утром. Завтра у меня есть немножко работа...пока пока

Well, I’ll translate this and post it in the morning. I only have a little work to do tomorrow. Talk to you later…

Lena
    What??? You don’t look like Johnny Depp?
    You can’t imagine how deeply-deeply-deeply I am disappointed. I am just pissed off.
    Don’t write to me anymore.

Lena
    I hope you guessed that I was joking. Actually I think you look great, Kevin.
    If I were at least 15 years younger I would definitely break off with my present boy-friend and fly to Florida.

Lena
    Well, back to our studies. Where were we?
    I have a question about a correction. In the sentence, “…делиться со мной своими мыслями,” why is “ своими мыслями” in the instrumental case? I thought it would be in the accusative case…
    The direct object denotes smb or smth directly affected by the action of the verb. In the sentence “I am writing a letter” the word letter is the direct object of the verb to write. It is expressed by the noun or pronoun in the accusative case (in some cases in the genitive).

Verbs ending in the postsuffix –ся(сь) are called reflexive verbs (except those which denote passive voice).
    They have the following two meanings:
    1) reflexive itself – the action is performed over the object which is the subject of the action: умываться, одеваться, купаться.
    2) mutually reflexive – the action is performed by several subjects, each of them being the object of the action: целоваться, судиться, ссориться.
    There are four more meanings of the reflexive verb very similar to these two mentioned.

The postfix –ся(сь) is a contraction of the word себя which means himself, herself, myself, yourselves etc.
    Thus, reflexive verbs themselves denote the direct object which is implied to be: himself, herself, myself, yourselves etc.
    Therefore reflexive verbs do not require the direct object, which is expressed by the noun or pronoun in the accusative case as was said above.

Делиться means делить себя in some sense (though I think it can only be felt rather than comprehended). It doesn’t mean делить like in Я поделил пирог на четыре части.

I don’t know why we use the instrumental here. Maybe because the rest of the cases make lesser sense.
    It cannot be the nominative because it denotes the subject alone.
    It cannot be the genitive because it denotes smb or smth from which smth derives or comes from or is taken from.
    It cannot be the dative because it denotes smb or smth to which the action is addressed.
    It cannot be accusative as it was explained above.
    It cannot be prepositional for there is no preposition.

Sadly, my answer is “I don’t know”. Maybe you should forget what I wrote above.

Lena
    Наш последний (следующий) болшой (большой) праздник это Thanksgiving (день благодарения).
    В те времени (в этот день) мы едим очень еды (мы очень много едим, because едим and еда are cognate words), которая ладно (и я совсем не против этого, though my version sounds dull, it could be a я совсем не против вкусно поесть or а я люблю вкусно поесть).
    Что (какой) ваш любимый праздник?

Our next big holiday is Thanksgiving. During that we eat lots of food, which I don’t mind at all. What is your favorite holiday?

У меня есть вопрос об исправления (об одном вашем исправлении, if you say about a correction I don’t quite understand what you mean).
    В этом (omit because you quote it) предложении , (omit) «...делиться со мной своими мыслями», почему «своими мыслями» (стоит. I insert the predicate стоит because there is neither subject nor predicate in your question. Even в творительном падеже is not a part of the predicate, it’s an adverbial modifier) в творительном падеже?
    Я думал(,) это было бы в винительном падеже...(что это должен быть винительный падеж. I would use this instead of your subjunctive, it sounds more natural).

Я был же сяду (сидел. I once mentioned that your continuous tenses should be rendered by imperfects only in Russian, unless it is your Present Perfect Continuous or Past Perfect Continuous like in I have been sitting) на подьезде (на веранде) с моей (со своей. The subject is “I” and the family is yours, then you should say “своей”. You do not point out that the family is yours and not, let’s say, his. You are just constanting the fact.) семей (семьей).
    У нас был огонь (Мы сидели у костра) и мы (omit as I have already inserted мы) разговариваем (говорили) о вести (новостях) (or обсуждали новости, it’s better).
    Моя любимая предмета (Одна из моих любимых тем. Тема is a subject of a talk or an article or a book. Still we can say предмет разговора, but it sounds either formal or out-to-date) это наука. Мне нравится вести (мне нравится узнавать новое) об електроникы (электронике) или мироздания (вселенной).
    Вы (Вы когда-нибудь) думали ли(omit. If you would go with this word order Думали ли вы когда-нибудь it would be ok. But I wouldn’t say the latter. It’s a bit bookish or olf-fashioned) про клонирования (клонирование, accusative)?
    Пусть мне вас прошу (Можно вас спросить. Давайте я вас спрошу sounds awquard), (comma) если у вас есть шанс (если бы у вас была такая возможность. It’s subjunctive), разрешите ли бы вы (вы бы разрешили, subjunctive) себя клонировать?
    Да, я было бы (Я бы разрешил. You should add разрешил, otherwise the sentence is incomplete).

I was just sitting on the front porch with the family. We had a fire and talked about the news. One of my favorite subjects is science. I like news about electronics, or the universe. Have you ever thought about cloning? Let me ask you: if you had the chance, would you permit yourself to be cloned? I would…

Я думал что я было бы здесь приложить свою картину. (Я решил прикрепить сюда свое фото. Or фотографию, maybe even фотокарточку, but never картину. I would say фото).

I thought I would attach a picture of myself here/ This is me at home just thinking. I don’t take very good pictures…haha.

Мне нравится (понравился) наш онлайн чат. Наверное вы хорошо печатать! (Безусловно, вы хорошо печатаете). Вы мне скажите о вашего слышную книги... (Вы рассказывали про аудиокнигу, которую вы слушали). я еще предпочту читать книгу (Я все еще предпочитаю читать книгу), но я вижу, как вами это хорошую практику (что это для вас хорошая практика). Я желал что я мог бы печатал с русским, (Жаль, что я не мог печатать по-русски в чате), но я было бы слишком медленно (но это было бы слишком медленно).

I enjoyed our chat online. You certainly type well! You mentioned your audio book you were listening to…I still prefer to read a book, but I see how it’s good practice for you. I wish I could have typed in Russian during our chat, but I would have been too slow.

Итак я буду это провожу и поставить в утром. (Я переведу и отправлю это утром). Завтра у меня есть немножко работа. (Завтра у меня совсем немного работы). пока пока (I don’t say пока-пока. It sounds childish for me. I’d just say Пока. Or До встречи or Увидимся if we are supposed to see each other. Or Счастливо)

Well, I’ll translate this and post it in the morning. I only have a little work to do tomorrow. Talk to you later…

Почтенный гражданин
    What??? You don’t look like Johnny Depp?
    You can’t imagine how deeply-deeply-deeply I am disappointed. I am just pissed off.
    Don’t write to me anymore.
    LOL...now that's what I call American humor...haha See, I knew you had it in ya!

Почтенный гражданин
    I hope you guessed that I was joking. Actually I think you look great, Kevin.
    If I were at least 15 years younger I would definitely break off with my present boy-friend and fly to Florida.
    ha ha....you're too kind, Lena...lol

Почтенный гражданин
    Well, back to our studies. Where were we?

I don’t know why we use the instrumental here. Maybe because the rest of the cases make lesser sense.
    It cannot be the nominative because it denotes the subject alone.
    It cannot be the genitive because it denotes smb or smth from which smth derives or comes from or is taken from.
    It cannot be the dative because it denotes smb or smth to which the action is addressed.
    It cannot be accusative as it was explained above.
    It cannot be prepositional for there is no preposition.

Sadly, my answer is “I don’t know”. Maybe you should forget what I wrote above.
    Sounds like I may have to remember that just as I do the oddities of certain prepositions....like "у" or "в" not really corresponding literally to the English understanding. Could be as you say, none of the other cases make sense to use....lol

Lena
    LOL...now that's what I call American humor...haha See, I knew you had it in ya!
    American? Hmm… Perhaps I should ask my mom if she sinned with a Yankee.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast