View Poll Results: Вы считаете, что:

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Необходимо законодательно отменить смертную казнь вообще.

11 45.83%
  • Надо продлить мораторий.

3 12.50%
  • Необходимо восстановить применение смертной казни с 1 января 2010 г.

8 33.33%
  • Необходимо расширить список преступлений, для которых было бы допустимо применение смертной казни.

2 8.33%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Смертная казнь в России

Re: Смертная казнь в России

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    We're not speaking of war-time. I was merely illustrating my point that not all 'bipedal speaking creatures' can be considered human.
    Do you remember a scene from the District 9 where humans burnt the alien eggs? That was not in a war and the action was perfectly legal. How do you classify that?
    Birth control.
    A. The alien's breed rate was much higher than one of human, so if they don't do that Earth would soon be overrun by the other species.
    B. They are not natives of this planet and they were allowed to settle under condition that they control their breeding themselves. Apparently they didn't observe this condition.
    C. I can see where you are drawing parallels but I don't think that this episode can be a valid example for our discussion here. The aliens were not humans to begin with.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Hanna

China is just about to execute a British citizen according to the BBC. (Tuesday morning).

Note the word "citizen". It seems that he is in fact more or less Pakistani - Britain has millions of immigrants from there. He was living in Poland for quite a while too.

He went to China with 4 kg (!!!!!) heroin in his bags and got caught by Chinese police. British authorities have tried to get the Chinese to pardon him, but it has not yet been successful.

I think it's almost unheard of for British citizens to be executed abroad. If this man had been a "regular" Briton people would be in arms, totally furious at China. His relatives say that he is innocent due to psychological problems that he's been having.

I really don't approve of them executing him. 10 years in a Chinese prison would be more than sufficient punishment for anyone.

============================================
    Story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8432351.stm
    ============================================

Birth control.
    A. The alien's breed rate was much higher than one of human, so if they don't do that Earth would soon be overrun by the other species.
    B. They are not natives of this planet and they were allowed to settle under condition that they control their breeding themselves. Apparently they didn't observe this condition.
    C. I can see where you are drawing parallels but I don't think that this episode can be a valid example for our discussion here. The aliens were not humans to begin with.
    So, your are rather anthropocentric, aren't you? Anyways, do you think the aforementioned robot would intervene when accompanying the birth control squad? (After all, the robot doesn't know the big picture you explained (=the broader context), and burning the innocent eggs for the sapient aliens would be classified as rather a horrible act, won't you think? Do you think the bipedal beings absolutely legally doing birth control that way deserve to be called humans?

Birth control.
    So, your are rather anthropocentric, aren't you? Anyways, do you think the aforementioned robot would intervene when accompanying the birth control squad? (After all, the robot doesn't know the big picture you explained (=the broader context), and burning the innocent eggs for the sapient aliens would be classified as rather a horrible act, won't you think? Do you think the bipedal beings absolutely legally doing birth control that way deserve to be called humans?
    We're deviating. That would depend exclusively on robot's programming. If alien's eggs would be recognized as 'human children' which seems unlikely then the answer to your question is 'yes' the robot would interfere.

And yes, you may call me that - anthropocentric if you like. I don't see anything bad in in since humans are the only sentinent species I know of.

And yes, you may call me that - anthropocentric if you like. I don't see anything bad in in since humans are the only sentinent species I know of.
    Yeah, I got it. The xenopsychology is not for you.

Yeah, I got it. The xenopsychology is not for you.
    I used to be a great fan of UFO:Enemy Unknown and Master of Orion. I was the fan of Aliens (the movie). What did you expect?

I used to be a great fan of UFO:Enemy Unknown and Master of Orion.
    A great fan you say? Have you won in MoO at "HUGE", "IMPOSSIBLE"? I bet no!
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    I used to be a great fan of UFO:Enemy Unknown and Master of Orion.
    A great fan you say? Have you won in MoO at "HUGE", "IMPOSSIBLE"? I bet no!
    Hah. Ever tried to win IMPOSSIBLE on SMALL galaxy? It's much bigger a challenge (with 8 opponents).

Hanna

Ramil your English just shifted up a gear.
    I can hardly follow your advanced vocabulary and you are are not making any grammatical mistakes.

This crazy debate about the death penalty has been great for everyones English but ithe actual arguments are getting increasingly wackier...

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    I can hardly follow your advanced vocabulary and you are are not making any grammatical mistakes.
    Johanna, come on ....

sentinent => sentient

I used to be a great fan of UFO:Enemy Unknown and Master of Orion. I was the fan of Aliens (the movie). What did you expect?
    I would have thought you were more like the SC kind of person ...

But, that's not all to it, really. There's that "paleocontact" stuff too... But, never mind. We're deviating indeed.

Почтенный гражданин

I suspect someone has been watching "Avatar".

But let's come back to planet Earth and more mundane things, shall we? What about Denis Yevsyukov whose case is being tried now and which has caused big resonance? He is a police major who went on a shooting spree in a supermarket in Moscow, killing three people and injuring six (though I have seen other figures -- 2 and 7, don't know which is true). He shot a female cashier in the face instantly killing her. There's a video of him calmly reloading his gun and shooting everyone he came across in the shop. After which he didn't even have the decency to shoot himself (like the Columbina guys, for example). Once again, I'm trying to figure out -- is it fair that he should continue living when those innocent people are dead? That cashier girl -- she probably had children or was the only daughter... Or else she didn't have any children which is probably even worse.

Life in prison is still life -- you get food, sleep, maybe books. There is hope of an amnesty or "УДО" (условно-досрочное освобождение -- being released for good behavior before your term ends; a lot of people get out this way, even those who committed murders -- prisons are overcrowded so it's necessary to vacate places for new inmates). If his wife doesn't leave him they'll have a chance to spend together 1-2 days each year -- there is a special rendezvous for convicts and their relatives when they spend a couple of days together in a room in prison 'hotel'. So theoretically he can father children. Whereas the killed cashier will never have any children.

He is said to have quarrelled with his wife before the incident -- absolutely no excuse, in my opinion. He is also said to have been drunk. No excuse either.

The story:
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...lt/396915.html
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Being drunk is considered an aggravating factor, by the way.
    Yes, I'm thinking that 20 years of prison is too mild a punishment for this.

@Cocodile: SC is for kids, I played Dune 2

@Cocodile: SC is for kids, I played Dune 2
    We might need a separate thread to discuss that. I would say that MoO is for kids as I prefer Galactic Civilizations.

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    I suspect someone has been watching "Avatar".
    Yeah, one of the biggest lessons of xenology is not to see ourselves when we watch the stars...

PS. I'm sorry I didn't post anything on the subject, as I think we're going in circles.

I decided to resurrect this thread because of the latest tragedy in Moscow. People who ordered this must be denied of all human rights including the right to live. I seriously hope that our cloak&dagger guys will not be very enthusiastic about taking them alive. Of course I wish them all the luck in the world in this.

I decided to resurrect this thread because of the latest tragedy in Moscow. People who ordered this must be denied of all human rights including the right to live. I seriously hope that our cloak&dagger guys will not be very enthusiastic about taking them alive. Of course I wish them all the luck in the world in this.
    And who will guard the [s:3qlshwvj]guardians[/s:3qlshwvj] "cloak & dagger knights?"

And who will guard the [s:36vlbwyp]guardians[/s:36vlbwyp] "cloak & dagger knights?"
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

And who will guard the [s:fa7av6x6]guardians[/s:fa7av6x6] "cloak & dagger knights?"
    Oh, that, I dunno. Somebody has to, but I only wanted to state that there *ARE* indeed species that look like human but not human at all.

Hanna

It's terrible that you should AGAIN become victims of terrorism.

These people are out of control for sure..! And what's their problem, they are practically autonomous and Moscow is pouring money over them! Anyway, there seems to be a lot more terrorism in Russia right now compared with Europe and certainly the US.
    So sorry for you, this is terrible.

But Ramil, the terrorists blew themselves up though, so threatening them with death penalty isn't going to put them off since they want to be "martyrs" anyway! They WANT to die!

[although it beats me what these female terrorists are going to do with the "99 virgins" that are waiting for them in paradise according to their faith...]

Was anyone here travelling on the metro when it happened?

BTW -- it was good to see that the Evening Standard (biggest London paper) wrote a great story about it which I read on my way home. The tone was exactly the same as it would have done if this had happened in France or Italy etc... none of the usual predictable dissing of Russia. Everyone is shocked and their thoughts are with the Muscovites! Terrible thing to have to be scared while travelling to work. I know the feeling too.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast