Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow1
    Some of the Russians I have met treat me well, maybe because they think I have a lot of money, some treat me with caution because they think I might be a spy or something.
    Fine. They treat you well because of your money, they treat you bad because of they racists or idiots who think that you are spy (btw, i've never seen such idiots in my life though I met a lot of russians). Man, don't you think that you look strage and agressive to them? For example I've noticed when americans feel uncomfortable they start talking very loud, making stupied jokes, talking to strangers, smiling, smiling, smiling and laughing... so for russians they look agressive and unequal, kinda mad people. Maybe the problem is in your aversion of different culture?
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

And, generally racism or nationalism in Russia is expressed with jokes and mocking, and not with fists and baseball bats.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    And, generally racism or nationalism in Russia is expressed with jokes and mocking
    I would say that is racism in western style. In Russia it isn't racism thank God!
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Почтенный гражданин
    Торонто (столица мира), Канадская Советская Социалистическая Республика (КССР)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    And, generally racism or nationalism in Russia is expressed with jokes and mocking
    I would say that is racism in western style. In Russia it isn't racism thank God!
    AMEN!

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. Come to think of it, what makes racist jokes so awesome is the fact that they're a taboo in the West. Really, if it were legal it wouldn't be as good.
    "С чий очи сънувам, чий е този лик обречен?
    Смъртен глас ми се причува и отеква с вик далечен
    Как да зърна да погледна, чуждий образ да прегърна,
    на лицето ми студено грях в надежда да превърна.."

Завсегдатай
    Rasists are the people who think that the word "negro" is improper.
    In Russia this word ("негр") is an absolutely usual word, it means a color of skin only and nothing more.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    No, those are just idiots. Rasits are the people who think that a single nation (usually theirs) is better and above all others. They invented the political correctness, they may be polite and not offensive but they think their race is better. It is that thinking that needs to be corrected not the words they speak.

Почётный участник
    "whites are omg oppressed b/c of PC"
    rofl... note that i always say 'white' because i dont honestly believe it is a race, and really the whole idea of race is outdated and has been proven to make no difference (it is, after all, simply the color of the skin and a few other minor differences mostly physical... the rest is culture)... but to argue with someone who deals in the terms one has to use similar terms.

I was just pointing out that JDK is racist in his thinking, wanting special treatment for people based on their skin color or heritage. That he should look at his own argument before accusing all Russians of being racists. The only reason I'm even posting in this thread is because I'm bored and have been drinking.... lol... I have no idea if I'm even making any sense right now.

anyways, hope I don't come off as thinking white people are oppressed, or that anyone is oppressed in America: because they aren't unless they're choosing to be oppressed.

I had probably better stop posting here when i've been in the bottle--good night/afternoon/morning/midday/whatever time it is where you all are.

Cesar
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    In Russia this word ("негр") is an absolutely usual word, it means a color of skin only and nothing more.
    If you call "negro" some people of dark skin in some parts of the world then you would know how this word is, sometimes, improper.

C

Завсегдатай
    [quote=Cesar]If you call "negro" some people of dark skin in some parts of the world then you would know how this word is, sometimes, improper.

C
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Cesar
    [quote=Оля][quote=Cesar]If you call "negro" some people of dark skin in some parts of the world then you would know how this word is, sometimes, improper.

C

There is no special nation or race. No one deserves any special attention or attitude. All nations and races are equally bad. There are no 'good nations or races'.

Cesar
    There is no special nation or race. No one deserves any special attention or attitude. All nations and races are equally bad. There are no 'good nations or races'.
    Exactly! The problem is when some people think they are superior or inferior in any way.

C

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I agree with Оля there is no reason for this word to be taken as offensive. As a matter of fact it is racist and offensive to think that negro is offensive.

Hey! I know a white guy who got off the plane in Russia wearing a cowboy hat and boots that was beaten and robbed. Does that mean Russians hate cowboys??? Hmmm? .....Or maybe Russians don't like stupid people!

Hey! I also know a white guy that was a teacher in Russia that got beat up and robbed. Does that mean that Russians don't like teachers? Hmm? ....Wait! ....... Well... I don't blame them for that!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Cesar
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I agree with Оля there is no reason for this word to be taken as offensive. As a matter of fact it is racist and offensive to think that negro is offensive.
    At least for me it's not racist nor offensive either in English or Spanish but maybe you should ask many people of dark skin about it.

C

Завсегдатай
    They probably mean that it isn't offensive in Russian, whatever people with dark skin may think. It may seem offensive only to those who applies their language rules to Russian.

In Russian it's a literary word, which means "A person of Negroid race", where Negroid is a scientific term, so the word "негр" (Negro) is absolutly neutral, no more offencive than "African" or "black".
    By the way, isn't it stupid that "black" is ok, while "Negro", which means the same, only in other language, is not?

They were brought up to think like that. It's not their fault, really. It's just someone, some time ago told them to take offense and they had been doing it ever since. And I strongly suspect that the man who told them to take offence at the word 'negro' was a white male of the Anglo-Saxon origin.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Does that mean Russians hate cowboys???
    Yes! (DDT, I am not seriously)

Почтенный гражданин
    Торонто (столица мира), Канадская Советская Социалистическая Республика (КССР)
    They were brought up to think like that. It's not their fault, really. It's just someone, some time ago told them to take offense and they had been doing it ever since. And I strongly suspect that the man who told them to take offence at the word 'negro' was a white male of the Anglo-Saxon origin.
    It has more to do with the time it used in. Mostly you'd find it in pre-Civil Rights literature (i.e. science, academia) in the South, and so the word Negro itself evokes the image of racial segregation and racial supremacy in the South. (Southern USA, that is)
    "С чий очи сънувам, чий е този лик обречен?
    Смъртен глас ми се причува и отеква с вик далечен
    Как да зърна да погледна, чуждий образ да прегърна,
    на лицето ми студено грях в надежда да превърна.."

Cesar
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    They probably mean that it isn't offensive in Russian, whatever people with dark skin may think. It may seem offensive only to those who applies their language rules to Russian.

In Russian it's a literary word, which means "A person of Negroid race", where Negroid is a scientific term, so the word "негр" (Negro) is absolutly neutral, no more offencive than "African" or "black".
    By the way, isn't it stupid that "black" is ok, while "Negro", which means the same, only in other language, is not?
    I don't think it's stupid. As you said "негр" has another connotation in Russian. However, "negro" even though means literally the same it can be used in other ways in other languages... a matter of culture. That's the reason why in one of my previous posts I pointed one of the words mentioned -"negro" and not the word "негр".

C

Cesar
    ... and a Spanish man or any other who probably had slaves in other parts of the world.

C

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast