Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 194

Thread: Racism

  1. #41
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,555
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDMan
    I hope one day soon things will change. Russia is a great country with a beautiful languange and cultural history. People who might want to visit, live, or work there should be welcomed instead of attacked simply due to their nationality.
    I say - come now and see for yourself. Just don't roam at evenings alone across some suburbs (these places are always dangerous to foreigners in nearly all "civilized" countries). And! No one is insured against accidents. Accidents do happen. But just because some people somewhere get attacked for some reason it doesn't mean that all these attacks happen because of the racism, and believe me, your chances of being robbed or swindled here are much higher than being attacked by a bunch of skinheads. But we're speaking about racism here. Not the criminal situation in general. In fact, your chances of being assaulted in New York, USA are, again, much higher than in Moscow.
    This is sooooo comforting, I am going to Russia right now!!!
    Вези, вези свои денежки. Хоть доллар падает, лишняя зелёная бумажка никогда не помешает.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  2. #42
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Posts
    3,368
    Rep Power
    17
    Actually, Charlestoneian is right!


    Based on the 1999 rates of first incarceration, an estimated 28% of black males will enter State or Federal prison during their lifetime, compared to 16% of Hispanic males and 4.4% of white males.
    http://www.runet.edu/~junnever/bw.htm



    # The prevalence of imprisonment in 2001 was higher for
    -- black males (16.6%) and Hispanic males (7.7%) than for white males (2.6%)
    -- black females (1.7%) and Hispanic females (0.7%) than white females (0.3%)
    Sixty-four percent of prison inmates belonged to racial or ethnic minorities in 2001.
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  3. #43
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Actually, Charlestoneian is right!


    Based on the 1999 rates of first incarceration, an estimated 28% of black males will enter State or Federal prison during their lifetime, compared to 16% of Hispanic males and 4.4% of white males.
    http://www.runet.edu/~junnever/bw.htm


    [quote:3tpicokc]

    # The prevalence of imprisonment in 2001 was higher for
    -- black males (16.6%) and Hispanic males (7.7%) than for white males (2.6%)
    -- black females (1.7%) and Hispanic females (0.7%) than white females (0.3%)
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm[/quote:3tpicokc]

    Thank you.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  4. #44
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    TX, USA
    Posts
    116
    Rep Power
    14
    I've noticed recently, there is a lot of racism in the world... especially in so-called civilized countries like the USA (my native land, actually). Now, don't jump to conclusions... I think most of the racism now-a-days is directed at "whites" (white isn't a race, but w/e... race is kind of trivial anyways) by so-called minorities (read: "oppressed"). Not the other way around.

    Political Correctness, the mechanism by which 'whites' are pressured to avoid saying or doing anything that might offend one of the poor poor 'oppressed' people. This very mechanism which is meant to protect from racism has, in fact, led to allowed racism against 'whites'.

    Laws protecting the rights of Hispanics, Africans, Arabs, <insert nationality/'race'> abound... but where are the laws protecting the rights of the 'white' people? They don't exist. 'whites' get no special treatment and are constantly subjected to racism but are condemned for ever saying or doing anything even closely resembling something racist.

    college scholarships, there are tons of race-restricted scholarships around today for every race besides 'whites'. also, non-'whites' are given preference in nearly everything including general scholarships.

    That is racism. Middle school children being sued for leaving a pork bone in sight of a Muslim, that is insanity. People coming to a country and expecting special treatment just because they are different, that is racism. If I went to a country in Africa or the Middle East, would I be given special treatment just because I wasn't part of the main culture? no. Why do you expect a great nation like Russia to treat people who aren't part of their culture specially? You are the one who thinks incorrectly here.

    I'd place even the idiotic skin-heads over you in this. At least skin-heads are straight forward about their racism... the way some people practice their racism (for it is racism, expecting special treatment of specific races) is insidious. evil, even. convincing people it is their moral obligation to treat said race specially, is just wrong.

  5. #45
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic-Saint
    I've noticed recently, there is a lot of racism in the world... especially in so-called civilized countries like the USA (my native land, actually). Now, don't jump to conclusions... I think most of the racism now-a-days is directed at "whites" (white isn't a race, but w/e... race is kind of trivial anyways) by so-called minorities (read: "oppressed"). Not the other way around.

    Political Correctness, the mechanism by which 'whites' are pressured to avoid saying or doing anything that might offend one of the poor poor 'oppressed' people. This very mechanism which is meant to protect from racism has, in fact, led to allowed racism against 'whites'.

    Laws protecting the rights of Hispanics, Africans, Arabs, <insert nationality/'race'> abound... but where are the laws protecting the rights of the 'white' people? They don't exist. 'whites' get no special treatment and are constantly subjected to racism but are condemned for ever saying or doing anything even closely resembling something racist.

    college scholarships, there are tons of race-restricted scholarships around today for every race besides 'whites'. also, non-'whites' are given preference in nearly everything including general scholarships.

    That is racism. Middle school children being sued for leaving a pork bone in sight of a Muslim, that is insanity. People coming to a country and expecting special treatment just because they are different, that is racism. If I went to a country in Africa or the Middle East, would I be given special treatment just because I wasn't part of the main culture? no. Why do you expect a great nation like Russia to treat people who aren't part of their culture specially? You are the one who thinks incorrectly here.

    I'd place even the idiotic skin-heads over you in this. At least skin-heads are straight forward about their racism... the way some people practice their racism (for it is racism, expecting special treatment of specific races) is insidious. evil, even. convincing people it is their moral obligation to treat said race specially, is just wrong.
    How true. These Russians don't know anything about racism, and yet they are screaming their lungs out about "racist" America!
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  6. #46
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDMan
    I hope one day soon things will change. Russia is a great country with a beautiful languange and cultural history. People who might want to visit, live, or work there should be welcomed instead of attacked simply due to their nationality.
    I say - come now and see for yourself. Just don't roam at evenings alone across some suburbs (these places are always dangerous to foreigners in nearly all "civilized" countries). And! No one is insured against accidents. Accidents do happen. But just because some people somewhere get attacked for some reason it doesn't mean that all these attacks happen because of the racism, and believe me, your chances of being robbed or swindled here are much higher than being attacked by a bunch of skinheads. But we're speaking about racism here. Not the criminal situation in general. In fact, your chances of being assaulted in New York, USA are, again, much higher than in Moscow.
    This is sooooo comforting, I am going to Russia right now!!!
    See ya. Don't let the door knob hit you on the ass on the way out!

  7. #47
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic-Saint
    I've noticed recently, there is a lot of racism in the world... especially in so-called civilized countries like the USA (my native land, actually). Now, don't jump to conclusions... I think most of the racism now-a-days is directed at "whites" (white isn't a race, but w/e... race is kind of trivial anyways) by so-called minorities (read: "oppressed"). Not the other way around.

    Political Correctness, the mechanism by which 'whites' are pressured to avoid saying or doing anything that might offend one of the poor poor 'oppressed' people. This very mechanism which is meant to protect from racism has, in fact, led to allowed racism against 'whites'.

    Laws protecting the rights of Hispanics, Africans, Arabs, <insert nationality/'race'> abound... but where are the laws protecting the rights of the 'white' people? They don't exist. 'whites' get no special treatment and are constantly subjected to racism but are condemned for ever saying or doing anything even closely resembling something racist.

    college scholarships, there are tons of race-restricted scholarships around today for every race besides 'whites'. also, non-'whites' are given preference in nearly everything including general scholarships.

    That is racism. Middle school children being sued for leaving a pork bone in sight of a Muslim, that is insanity. People coming to a country and expecting special treatment just because they are different, that is racism. If I went to a country in Africa or the Middle East, would I be given special treatment just because I wasn't part of the main culture? no. Why do you expect a great nation like Russia to treat people who aren't part of their culture specially? You are the one who thinks incorrectly here.

    I'd place even the idiotic skin-heads over you in this. At least skin-heads are straight forward about their racism... the way some people practice their racism (for it is racism, expecting special treatment of specific races) is insidious. evil, even. convincing people it is their moral obligation to treat said race specially, is just wrong.
    This post is laughable. So much ignorance I don't even know where to begin! I'll have to deal with this when I have more time.

  8. #48
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    14
    [quote=charlestonian]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by "Ramil":2pl5uj78
    Well, if we count up all the crimes being committed presently in USA against people of Afro-American or Latino-American background we will have USA as the most racist regime on Earth.
    Say what? I don't see any of this! Just the opposite!
    I didn't say that, you did
    Yes I did: blacks and hispanics cause more trouble here than whites!
    To JKDMan now you see who is really a racist
    By the way - he lives in USA
    I told the truth. Black and hispanic gangs are out of control.[/quote:2pl5uj78]
    You're from Charleston, South Carolina I presume. You sure do a good job of dispelling the myth of the racist southern redneck.

  9. #49
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDMan
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDMan
    I hope one day soon things will change. Russia is a great country with a beautiful languange and cultural history. People who might want to visit, live, or work there should be welcomed instead of attacked simply due to their nationality.
    I say - come now and see for yourself. Just don't roam at evenings alone across some suburbs (these places are always dangerous to foreigners in nearly all "civilized" countries). And! No one is insured against accidents. Accidents do happen. But just because some people somewhere get attacked for some reason it doesn't mean that all these attacks happen because of the racism, and believe me, your chances of being robbed or swindled here are much higher than being attacked by a bunch of skinheads. But we're speaking about racism here. Not the criminal situation in general. In fact, your chances of being assaulted in New York, USA are, again, much higher than in Moscow.
    This is sooooo comforting, I am going to Russia right now!!!
    See ya. Don't let the door knob hit you on the ass on the way out!
    Just joking... Sh!t... I wouldn't go to Russia even if you paid my way!
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  10. #50
    JJ
    JJ is offline
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ural, Russia
    Posts
    1,390
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Racism

    JKDMan, when will you stop lying and join the 21 century? All russians here (actually Ramil is tatar I guess, Lampada is jew) said that there is no rasism in Russia like you said. I'm living in a town with about 200 000 population and we have ONLY ONE black here. He's a doctor, he drives an old used car (speaking frankly his car is a lemon) and NO ONE beats his ass because NO ONE here reads the BS what you read. What are we doing wrong???
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

  11. #51
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    JKDMan, when will you stop lying and join the 21 century? All russians here (actually Ramil is tatar I guess, Lampada is jew) said that there is no racism in Russia like you said. I'm living in a town with about 200 000 population and we have ONLY ONE black here. He's a doctor, he drives an old used car (speaking frankly his car is a lemon) and NO ONE beats his ass because NO ONE here reads the BS what you read. What are we doing wrong???
    Come down comrade... You have no idea what this is all about, so hush now, OK?
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  12. #52
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    18,028
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Come down comrade... You have no idea what this is all about, so hush now, OK?
    А как же тогда "свобода слова"?
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  13. #53
    JJ
    JJ is offline
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ural, Russia
    Posts
    1,390
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Come down comrade... You have no idea what this is all about, so hush now, OK?
    Who the heck are you cowboy for hushing me?
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

  14. #54
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    TX, USA
    Posts
    116
    Rep Power
    14
    This post is laughable. So much ignorance I don't even know where to begin! Laughing I'll have to deal with this when I have more time.
    Ignorance? I may be ignorant in many things, but I grew up the only white kid in a trailer park in Texas... I know what racism is. Anyways, like I said at the beginning of my previous post (in parenthesis) race is trivial... and in fact most of the 'races' you or I would speak about are not really classical races, they're simply labels placed on specific cultures... through a largely American tinted lens...

    That is besides the point though, which I think I need to express more clearly instead of rambling about reasons why you're wrong and are in fact a racist yourself. (as someone suggested earlier in this thread, essentially, look for the log in your own eye before pointing out the splinter in your neighbor's!)

    The resident Russians have already stated in this forum: Everyone has the same chance of getting robbed, beaten, or even killed in Russia. The so-called skin-heads are small groups which are not roving the streets looking for non-slavs to kill.

    What you want to happen is for the native Russians to give non-russians special treatment. Some kind of special protection against any form of persecution, even if Russians themselves have to deal with such problems. You are seeking special treatment for a few select groups based on their "race". You Sir, are a racist. This is the most logical definition of racism.

  15. #55
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    13
    I am not caucasian and I have been to Russia, and I have concluded that
    most Russians are racist. Of course I have not been beaten, stabbed or
    shot, but there is often a notable uneasyness when speaking to Russians.
    It was very humiliating, degrading, and frustrating experience.
    Some of the Russians I have met treat me well, maybe because they
    think I have a lot of money, some treat me with caution because they
    think I might be a spy or something. Whether or not they treat
    me well or not, it is still racism because they treat me differently.

    In America, especially in the city I live in, caucasians are a minority and
    there is so much diversity, it is almost impossible to discriminate. But
    even in parts of America where caucasians are predominant,
    Americans depend greatly on foreign imports from China and Japan
    and many music and sports figures are African American. It is difficult
    to be racist if you drive a foreign car, watch sports, and listen to
    music. Even our food is international.

    In Russia, everybody is caucasian. People drive Russian made cars,
    listen to Russian singers, eat Russian food, watch Russian sports. Many
    Russians have never met a non-Russian person.

    Saying that there is a black person in your town who has never been
    beaten does not prove anything. The proper question to ask is whether
    or not he is treated the same as everybody else. Is this person your
    friend? Have you ever asked him what he thinks about racism in Russia?
    Я взял палку и нож, мелки и бумагу и направился к холмам.

  16. #56
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,499
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow1
    Whether or not they treat
    me well or not, it is still racism because they treat me differently.
    It's just xenophobia. An ordinary Russian is not sure of his own nationality himselft, not to mention the nationality of others. The thing you're describing is just cautious approach to any outsider (be he from another town or country - no matter). The Russians are very suspicious and cautious to the point of idiocy. They may murmur something to each other pointing at you but generally they would just watch and would not mistreat you in any way.

    In Russia, everybody is caucasian. People drive Russian made cars, listen to Russian singers, eat Russian food, watch Russian sports. Many Russians have never met a non-Russian person.

    Saying that there is a black person in your town who has never been
    beaten does not prove anything. The proper question to ask is whether
    or not he is treated the same as everybody else.
    Yes he is. I know what you mean but you're wrong about the uniformity of the population of Russia. There are more than 150 nationalities live here. The nationalities you (being in America) haven't never heard of.
    To you we all are the Russians (you don't see the difference between a Byelorussian, Ukrainian, even an Uzbek and an ethnic Russian, nevertheless we identify them and don't call them Russians). Every nationality has been living here for several hundred years at least and every nationality has a collection of grudges against the Russians (who else is considered oppressors and invaders throughout the former USSR).
    Some southern nations even have a proverb "If you have a Russian friend - wait for the bad news". Yes there is nationalism in Russia but it's directed at our neighbours, living among us not against some foreigners.
    Some Ukrainians dislike the Russians and some Russians dislike them as well just like the Scotts dislike the Englishmen and vice versa. There's nothing new about that. Many Russians dislike people from Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan but that's because they rarely see any prominent representatives of these nations but mostly tradesmen from bazaars who are generally not very bright and with an arrogant and impudent attitude.
    But you would never see any mistreatment against black skinned people. They are just too few to make any difference to us. They are just an exotic wonder because they are so rare here. That's why they cause a risen eyebrow but that's not because people hate them. They didn't make our life miserable and there's really nothing we can blame them for since we don't share a common past like in USA.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  17. #57
    Завсегдатай BappaBa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Нерезиновая
    Posts
    2,115
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow1
    In Russia, everybody is caucasian. People drive Russian made cars,
    listen to Russian singers, eat Russian food, watch Russian sports. Many
    Russians have never met a non-Russian person.
    It seems to me, you never were in Russia.

  18. #58
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,073
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow1
    In Russia, everybody is caucasian. People drive Russian made cars, listen to Russian singers, eat Russian food, watch Russian sports.
    Sure some of them drive Russian made cars, listen to Russian singers, eat Russian food, watch Russian sports. What's wrong with that? They don't do that because they are racists, but because they are Russians, and that is their culture.

    Anyway, you forgot to mention, that many Russians love non-Russian cars, singers and food (don't know, what you meant by Russian sport, though. Are you offended that Russians don't watch baseball?)

    Many Russians have never met a non-Russian person.
    Exactly. Especially older people or people from small towns. So it's stupid to label the uneasyness you talked about as racism. For some people you're alien, you're different, even exotic. They just don't know how to treat you. Or, probably, they don't understand you or your behavior. Or maybe they are just shy. Or may be you acted like a jerk (sorry), all high and mighty.

    These are after-effects of the iron curtain, when people had very limited opportunities to meet non-Russian-speaking people. So I'd rather call it residual xenophobia, then a racism.

    PS. And you spy-remark is just... um.. You were kidding, right? Otherwise you draw information about Russians from Hollywood movies and Clancy's thrillers.

  19. #59
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,499
    Rep Power
    30
    Люди, только я вас умоляю, не путайте caucasian с кавказцем.
    Сaucasian у них - это средиземноморский. (Человек с белой кожей, европеец) - долбанная политкорректность.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  20. #60
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Торонто (столица мира), Канадская Советская Социалистическая Республика (КССР)
    Posts
    633
    Rep Power
    14
    Wow, this post is so retarded I don't even know where to begin. Putting aside the "whites are omg oppressed b/c of PC" crowd, and those who hint at approving the assaults on foreigners in Russia (DDT, I am deeply disappointed in you), I'll just jump to the point.

    Russians by and large are not racist. Not one of them has said anything against me for being an Arab (not seriously, at least). While there is a higher chance for me of being beaten up in Russia than, say, your average Russian, I'm not the one to go around and claim that Russians are racist. I've met a Russian here, in Toronto, where I live, who was flat out racist (to me, at least) (and he wasn't even an ethnic Russian but we'll let that slip), does that mean that Russians are overall racist? Err, no. Honestly, though, the Russians I've met so far have been extremely nice to me, they always invite me to their gatherings and even invite me to ski trips with them. While many may act "improperly" towards foreigners, that's because Russia isn't accustomed to political correctness. In fact, one of the reasons I like Russians is just that, they speak their minds without any constraints. It's refreshing to meet a crowd that's not bound by political correctness (read: open and honest), and actually makes my friendship with them something I truly cherish. I've always had a positive impression of Russians, and they always seemed very smart and kind that I just can't believe what I hear in the media.

    And honestly, as an Arab, I can tell you that Arabs are far more racist (and openly so) than Russians (mostly against South Asians and blacks, but not against whites because many Arabs have European blood). Why don't you go out and say 'OMG ARABS ARE TEH RACISTNESS!"? We might not be killing South Asians or blacks, mainly because many Arab countries are bound by authoritarian law, but trust me, the negative feeling is still there.

    I'm not the one to judge whether Russians in Russia are racist, because I've never been there, and it does make me sad sometimes that I might never go there because of the racism (of which Russians themselves have warned me), but I'm not going to roam on random forums and tarnish an entire country, because that is extremely childish and retarded, and it won't change a thing.
    "С чий очи сънувам, чий е този лик обречен?
    Смъртен глас ми се причува и отеква с вик далечен
    Как да зърна да погледна, чуждий образ да прегърна,
    на лицето ми студено грях в надежда да превърна.."

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Racism in the bus stop. HELP ME PLEASE!!
    By Pallka in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
  2. Racism in Russia
    By Englishguy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2008, 01:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary