Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Icy blast from Putin hints at a new Cold War

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Через 15-20 лет, те прыщавые пацаны и девочки, что сейчас сидят в чатах, слушают попсу и жуют попкорн будут владеть этим миром. А им заморочки холодной войны и 20 века - по барабану.
    У них будут свои. А старпёры в ген. штабах, правительствах, министерствах и ведомствах всё ещё мнят себя здесь хозяевами.
    Которые сейчас сидят в чатах, слушают попсу и жуют попкорн, через 20 лет будут сидеть у телевизора, пить пиво и чесать пузо. Миром будут владеть те, кто сейчас учится в Гарвардах и Оксфордах и чьи папочки-старпёры сейчас сидят в генштабах и министерствах.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Через 15-20 лет, те прыщавые пацаны и девочки, что сейчас сидят в чатах, слушают попсу и жуют попкорн будут владеть этим миром. А им заморочки холодной войны и 20 века - по барабану.
    У них будут свои. А старпёры в ген. штабах, правительствах, министерствах и ведомствах всё ещё мнят себя здесь хозяевами.
    Которые сейчас сидят в чатах, слушают попсу и жуют попкорн, через 20 лет будут сидеть у телевизора, пить пиво и чесать пузо. Миром будут владеть те, кто сейчас учится в Гарвардах и Оксфордах и чьи папочки-старпёры сейчас сидят в генштабах и министерствах.
    Да я, в общем-то, про них и говорю.
    Эти мажоры-таки тоже сидят в чатах, слушают попсу и жуют попкорн. И старые заморочки им так же - по барабану.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Эти мажоры-таки тоже сидят в чатах, слушают попсу и жуют попкорн. И старые заморочки им так же - по барабану.
    По большому счёту заморочка всегда одна, и она стара, как мир - бабло. А всякие там политические симпатии и антипатии - это действительно преходящие явления.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    По большому счёту заморочка всегда одна, и она стара, как мир - бабло. А всякие там политические симпатии и антипатии - это действительно преходящие явления.
    Бабло нужно, когда есть что на это бабло купить. А вот я боюсь, что мучить их будет уже другая заморочка - где найти что пожрать?

Да и потом - бабло всегда было разное.
    Сначала жратва, потом - золото, потом - минеральное сырьё, теперь - энергия.

JJ
    Властелин
    BERLIN (Reuters) - Around two in three Germans support Russian President Vladimir Putin's view that the United States is on a mission to become the world's "one single master", according to a poll released on Tuesday.

A survey of 1,000 Germans showed 68 percent supported the attack made by Putin on Washington at a high-profile Munich security conference over the weekend, the poll by Emnid for N24 television showed.

Read here: http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNew ... 5420070213
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    Around two in three Germans support Russian President Vladimir Putin's view that the United States is on a mission to become the world's "one single master"...
    Наверное немцы к нам ментально ближе хотя бы потому что и им и нам за последние 100 лет приходилось под натиском реальности менять свои убеждения. Американцы по этому критерию - другая нация, так как эмигранты - это не те, кто подгоняет себя под реальность, а те, кто выбирает реальность под себя, под свои взгляды и убеждения. В этом их сила, но и слабость тоже. (Диалектика, блин. )

Старший оракул
    BERLIN (Reuters) - Around two in three Germans support Russian President Vladimir Putin's view that the United States is on a mission to become the world's "one single master", according to a poll released on Tuesday.

A survey of 1,000 Germans showed 68 percent supported the attack made by Putin on Washington at a high-profile Munich security conference over the weekend, the poll by Emnid for N24 television showed.

По моим впечатлениям, если судить по комментариям читателей на сайтах немецких газет, поддержка речи Путина составляет не менее 75%. На британских сайтах она где-то процентов 50-60, на американских - процентов 40. Про другие языки ничего, к сожалению, сказать не могу... Но если даже "во вражеском логове" такая поддержка, то значит здорово достала всех американская бесцеремонность.
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Юрка
    Наверное немцы к нам ментально ближе хотя бы потому что и им и нам за последние 100 лет приходилось под натиском реальности менять свои убеждения.
    Возможно и поэтому, но, скорее всего потому, что у немцев ещё не до конца вытравили национальную гордость, и им тоже не очень-то приятно быть у Штатов на побегушках. Так что, уж к кому-кому, а к Америке у немцев тёплых чувств не много...

Властелин

That's hardly news. If you asked the question "is the US on a mission to become the world'd one single master?" without mentioning Putin, I'm pretty sure the majority of people in most countries, even America, would agree.

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    If you asked the question "is the US on a mission to become the world'd one single master?"
    Scotcher, do you speak English? "A survey of 1,000 Germans showed 68 percent supported the attack made by Putin on Washington..." Where is "the US on a mission" here??? They had been asked "do you support the Putin's attack on Washington" and 68% said "yes we do".
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    If you asked the question "is the US on a mission to become the world'd one single master?"
    Scotcher, do you speak English? "A survey of 1,000 Germans showed 68 percent supported the attack made by Putin on Washington..." Where is "the US on a mission" here??? They had been asked "do you support the Putin's attack on Washington" and 68% said "yes we do".
    JJ

Yes I do speak English. You, however, evidently do not, since the sentence "the United States is on a mission to become the world's "one single master" came directly from the first sentence of the summary YOU posted.

Here, I've highlighted it just for you:

You're genuinely not very bright, are you?

Интересный коментарий нарыл.

Does Putin Not Have a Point?

by Patrick J. Buchanan
    "A soft answer turneth away wrath," teaches Proverbs 1:15.

Our new secretary of defense, Robert Gates, seems familiar with the verse. For his handling of Saturday's wintry blast from Vladimir Putin at the Munich security conference was masterful.

"As an old Cold Warrior, one of yesterday's speeches almost filled me with nostalgia for a less complex time," said Gates, adding, "Almost." A former director of the CIA, Gates went on to identify with Putin: "I have, like your second speaker yesterday … a career in the spy business. And I guess old spies have a habit of blunt speaking.

"However, I have been to reeducation camp, spending the last four-and-a-half years as a university president and dealing with faculty. And as more than a few university presidents have learned in recent years, when it comes to faculty it is either 'be nice' or 'be gone.'"

Шурум-прурм, шарам-парам...

http://www.antiwar.com/pat/?articleid=10511
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

JJ
    Властелин
    Damn, where is my comment?
    Ok, once again:
    Thanks for your exillent explanation scotcher. Now I know that "about 2 in 3 support Putin's view that the United States is on a mission to become the world's "one single master"..." and "68 percent supported the attack made by Putin on Washington ..." are the same things in English, and even the first one is more precise than second. What a nice language, "they said something about..." means for you more than "the fact is..."...

Вот еще одна статья.

The rights and wrongs of Putin's new order

Published: February 19 2007 02:00 | Last updated: February 19 2007 02:00

Russia is turning up the volume of its criticism of the arms control framework that has underpinned the international order since the end of the cold war. First the Russian military chief of staff says Moscow is contemplating unilaterally withdrawing from the INF treaty - signed by Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev in 1987 - that scrapped US and Russian medium-range nuclear missiles. Then Sergei Lavrov, the foreign minister, suggests the same about the CFE treaty, saying the pact to cut back conventional forces in Europe is "meaningless".

Coming hard on the heels of Vladimir Putin's attack on US unilateralism and the dangers of a "unipolar" world, made to the US defence secretary a week ago in Munich, this starts to look like a co-ordinated push, in worrying cold war language. But Russian officials insist it is simply the start of a "more candid dialogue that has been long overdue".

Plah-plah-plah...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/9ed6e192-bfbf-1 ... 10621.html
    English Edition

Властелин
    Damn, where is my comment?
    Ok, once again:
    Thanks for your exillent explanation scotcher. Now I know that "about 2 in 3 support Putin's view that the United States is on a mission to become the world's "one single master"..." and "68 percent supported the attack made by Putin on Washington ..." are the same things in English, and even the first one is more precise than second. What a nice language, "they said something about..." means for you more than "the fact is..."...
    If I agree that they are not the same, will you explain why you think that has the slightest bearing on anything I said?

Почётный участник
    Ай-яй-яй, ух эта Америка, ату её! Нам запрещают, а мы всё равно Ирану ядерные технологии! Их презик псих? Сами вы псих! Ограничить распространение оружия? Наше законное право! А тогда мы ещё палестинцам или другим таким же дикарям подкинем помощи. На чеченов похожи?! Бред! Хотим - зарабатываем на оружии, отстаньте! Что машины производить не умеем - это враньё, тазЫ - лучшие в мире машины, это Америка нам шпионов подослала и развалила всё, наслала праворулек, чтобы наши люди поубивались на дорогах. Патриотизм и правильный взгляд на мир - наше светлое будущее!

Отчего же, если США увязнут, помимо Афганистана и Ирака, ещё и в Иране, в Северной Корее и пр., это нанесёт ещё больший вред их экономике. Некая извращённая логика есть в том, чтобы довести США до ввода войск в тот же Иран.
    Не знаю, правда, оправдывает ли цель средства в данном случае.

Я и не ожидал что в США есть такие горлопаны. Макс Бут, его комментарии просто хамксие и также далеки от реальности как Ирак от Америки.

Вот статья (в переводе). Не знаю насколько точен перевод, но некоторые мысли можно прокомментировать.

"Не поднимайте лапки перед Путиным".
    ("Los Angeles Times", США)
    Макс Бут (Max Boot), 06 декабря 2006

http://www.inosmi.ru/translation/231507.html
    Шаги, которые может предпринять Запад, чтобы не дать российскому президенту-автократу обрести слишком много влияния в мире.

Это надо же так передергивать, я просто в шоке от примитивизма.

Есть много способов убрать человека с дороги так, чтобы его смерть выглядела как несчастный случай, самоубийство или уличный грабеж. Но это в намерения убийцы бывшего агента КГБ Александра Литвиненко - кто бы он ни был - явно не входило. Для убийства специально было использовано столь экзотическое орудие убийства, как радиоактивный изотоп полоний-210, чтобы сказать всем: не стойте на пути у российской власти.

Преступника не знаем, но зато знаем за что убили. Вот так! Вот те и демократия!

Скорее всего, имена убийц Литвиненко так и останутся тайной, но отравлен он был, по всей вероятности, из-за того, что развернул кампанию против президента России Владимира В. Путина и против ФСБ - организации, пришедшей на смену КГБ

Развернул кампанию, ух ты. То-то Путин прямо пошатнулся.

Однако шаги, которые можно предпринять, чтобы заставить царя Владимира I дорого заплатить за свою дерзость, еще есть.

Ну все в кучу, монархия, коммунизм, всякая всячина - ветчина и ржавчина.

Кремль в последнее время преследует неправительственные организации, потому что боится народной революции

Чего боится?? Точно, это белена! Или мухоморы?

Власти западных стран также могут намекнуть западным компаниям и финансовым рынкам, что инвестиции в Россию - это не очень хорошо. Работа нефтегазовой отрасли - поставщика главного российского экспортного товара - до сих пор зависит от иностранного капитала и опыта зарубежных специалистов, поэтому замедление притока инвестиций обойдется Москве очень и очень дорого.

Назло маме отморожу уши. Где он таких дураков собрался искать только, в бизнесе что ли, ха-ха-ха?

Россия и в другом плане финансово зависима от Запада: есть мнение, что приближенные Путина (а вполне возможно, и он сам) складывают свои награбленные богатства там, где они никому не видны - в той же Швейцарии. Если бы американское министерство финансов и иностранные органы финансового контроля начали расследования и хотя бы произнесли такие слова, как 'отмывание' и 'заморозить', кремлевским обитателям тут же запахло бы жареным

Да уж кончено, еще бы сказал "и вернуть это все ограбленному русскому народу"

Вот такая вот у нас демагогия.
    English Edition

Старший оракул
    Да уж, мерзкая личность этот Бут. Но последний его опус превзошёл все ожидания:

Путин: вошь, которая зарычала
    Putin: the louse that roared

А как вам вот это нравится? Статейка некоего Чарльза Краутхаммера в ВП:

Доктрина Путина
    The Putin Doctrine

Неоконы вообще последние понятия о приличиях потеряли... Но тот факт, что они так беснуются очень радует.

Here’s the original with my “clever” remarks . At first I thought that InoSMI got something wrong and even gone to pains of registering at latimes.com to see this masterpiece:

Quote Originally Posted by Max Boot. LA Times, December 6, 2006

Max Boot:
    Don't play dead for Putin
    What the West can do help stop the authoritarian Russian president from garnering too much influence in the world.
    December 6, 2006

THERE ARE A lot of ways to make a man's death look like an accident, suicide or a street crime. That wasn't the intent of whoever murdered former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko in London. By using such an exotic murder weapon — a radioactive isotope known as polonium-210 — his killers sent a message: Don't mess with the powers that be in Russia.

The identity of his murderers is likely to remain unknown, but in all probability Litvinenko was poisoned because of his campaign against Russian President Vladimir V. Putin and the KGB's successor, the FSB. He is only the latest to pay with his life for offending Russia's ruling clique. The list of prominent people murdered in the last few years includes crusading journalists such as Anna Politkovskaya (whose death Litvinenko was investigating), politicians, executives and government officials. Others, such as Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko, have narrowly survived assassination attempts or have been exiled or silenced with threats of violence or legal charges.

Alleged tax evasion has been a favorite tool of intimidation. Wielding such dubious accusations, the Kremlin was able to consign Russia's richest man, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, to a Siberian prison camp and to expropriate his giant oil company, Yukos. Whatever the state of his taxes, Khodorkovsky's real sin was to bankroll opposition to Putin.

Having taken power in a nascent democracy six years ago, Putin has been reestablishing authoritarian control. Governors are no longer elected but appointed by the Kremlin. Laws have been changed to make it harder for opposition parties to compete. Independent media outlets and major corporations have been gobbled up by state-controlled companies.
    My comment: well, these last three facts are true. That is one the things I don’t agree with our government among, especially concerning the mass media. I mean the mass media, that is freely available to the majority of the population. The only really independent news sources I have now are all in the Internet.

Repression at home has been matched by rogue behavior abroad. Russia has used economic leverage in an attempt to stifle democratic revolutions in Ukraine and Georgia, with the goal of keeping those neighboring countries under its thumb. In Chechnya, Moscow has imposed a brutal puppet regime. Russia exports arms to China, Venezuela, Syria and other countries at odds with the U.S. Most alarming have been Russia's sales to Iran of a nuclear reactor and surface-to-air missiles to defend it, even as Moscow blocks serious U.N. sanctions against Tehran.
    That is true also, except Chechnya. It is not some “small but pride country, brutally occupied by a cruel warring neighbor”, it is being a part of Russia itself for already several centuries, like Texas is a part of USA. So there can’t be any regime except the rule of the government of the Russian Federation which is restored there after several years of turmoil.

Russia is not yet an outright enemy of the United States, but it's certainly no friend.
    USA have never been among Russia’s friends too. Strange, isn’t it? How DARES Russia not to be friendly towards USA?

Putin is catering to Russian nostalgia for past greatness and to enduring resentment of the West in order to justify his consolidation of power. Washington's ability to frustrate his designs is limited because the Kremlin is awash in petrorubles.
    Nive word, by the way Petrorubles

But there are still steps we can take to make Czar Vladimir I pay a price for his growing truculence.
    The very essence of evil capitalists concealed within this phrase. Frothing and delirium would probably be next.

For a start, the United States and its allies can move more actively to incorporate states such as Ukraine and Georgia into the Western ambit through bilateral alliances and trade deals as well as by extending NATO and European Union membership.
    Good, this way the West would feed Ukraine and Georgia, not Russia. At last! They’ll know the hell of feeding them.

We can increase funding for civil society groups in Russia. The Kremlin has been harassing foreign nongovernmental organizations because it fears a "people power" revolution. The best Western response is to funnel more money to such groups as well as to independent media outlets.
    I liked a phrase I head on one TV show: Есть такой бизнес – Америку защищать. Дайте денег. а? (There’s a business in Russia, to protect America. Give us some money, please?)

All civil societies in Russia just yearn to get bucks from USA. Their staff would be able renew their BMW and Bentley cars and rent a better office near Kremlin. It’s America’s money, after all, I wonder, if I agreed upon criticizing Putting a little, someone would pay me too

Western governments can also signal to Western companies and financial markets that investing in Russia is not a good idea. Russia's oil and gas industry, its major exporter, remains dependent on expertise and capital from abroad; a slowdown of such investment would be costly for Moscow.
    So goes the myth about the “free and independent market”. And what would warm the Europeans? Maybe they will be burning US banknotes to get warmer.

Russia is financially dependent on the West in another sense: Putin's cronies (and probably Putin himself) are thought to stash their ill-gotten gains in havens such as Switzerland. If the U.S. Treasury Department and foreign financial watchdogs were to launch investigations and start tossing around phrases such as "money laundering" and "asset freezes," Kremlin insiders would feel the heat.
    I thought, Switzerland has always been an independent state? I was wrong apparently. And how would anyone know that the account number 3423990012341112 belongs to Mr. Putin? And who can say, that the company xxxx, that owns several financial companies in London, New York and Hong-Kong is owned by some John Smith and incorporated on Virgin Islands isn’t affiliated with Putin’s Labrador Connie?

This is something that could be done behind the scenes. At the same time, public pressure could be applied to deny Putin the international legitimacy he so obviously craves. President Bush could stop holding summit conferences with him and stop including him in high-profile meetings such as the G-7.
    I’m sure Putin will adorably sulk on TV.

Above all, what's needed is a change of mind-set in Washington. We need to stop thinking of how to cozy up to Putin and start thinking of how to frustrate his illiberal imperial designs.
    And won’t let them piss to our pot from now on…

Laughed a lot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast