Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How bad off are Russians in reality?

Почтенный гражданин
    @waxwing: <3. But I'm probably going to disappear again for a bit, 'cause I'll be in Houston for the next five weeks and I don't know if I'll have internet access.

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    I think dear cousin Lindzi was busy moving to Texas to become an English teacher.
    Correct. I am now in the Rio Grande valley. Today I walked to Mexico to get burritos.

No, not kidding. Mmm, burritos.

It cost 25 cents to cross the toll foot bridge into Mexico.

@Lindzi: I thought you were supposed to be Mike's misanthropic dark-lord son. And Tu-160's bride.
    Uh oh. This is starting to get a little more incestuous than usual, cousin. But as long as I don't find out that my crush is actually my twin brother, things will be okay.

Yuck, Star Wars. I never could understand the craze.

Почётный участник
    Texas is like a checker board for good and bad places to be. Have fun.
    "Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    http://www.paladinrepublic.com

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by 44 Canon
    peaceful religions ( Christianity being the utmost )
    Right you are. Crusades never happened. As did the Malleus Maleficarum. As did the Night of St. Bartholomew.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Почётный участник
    [quote=bad manners]
    Quote Originally Posted by "44 Canon":m94kvdl9
    peaceful religions ( Christianity being the utmost )
    Right you are. Crusades never happened. As did the Malleus Maleficarum. As did the Night of St. Bartholomew.[/quote:m94kvdl9]

I have already explained, this, as well as your type of person and reasons, but I am sure you are quite aware of this, and consciously playing stupid.
    "Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine

Почтенный гражданин
    Look, I'm a Christian too. But I don't live in some crazy parallel universe where Christianity in general is some ultimate religion of peace. Christ's principals are soundly compassionate and peaceful, but Christianity as a religion has hardly been the vanguard of decency in this world, especially back in the day. At the end of the day, Christians are just people, and people do shitty things. They do really amazing and wonderful things, but they do shitty things as well.

Увлечённый спикер

He is the chosen one, here to bring justice 'n other stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи
    Look, I'm a Christian too. But I don't live in some crazy parallel universe where Christianity in general is some ultimate religion of peace. Christ's principals are soundly compassionate and peaceful, but Christianity as a religion has hardly been the vanguard of decency in this world, especially back in the day. At the end of the day, Christians are just people, and people do @@@@ things. They do really amazing and wonderful things, but they do @@@@ things as well.
    True. Even for people who are more secular than religious, teachings from Christianity have a lot to offer. I just hate it when people become too righteous, doing or saying stupid things, and hiding behind a faith. This includes Fundamentalist Christians, Islamic Terrorists and *ahem* followers of other faiths

44 Cannon (sorry if it wasn't you), I noticed some of your comments on contemporary debates, like the legitimacy of sexual pleasure and, I think, abortion, were a bit extreme. You don't happen to be American, by any chance?..
    You're not funny... no, wait!
    гы гы гы
    There, I laughed

Завсегдатай
    Don't worry, my Australian friend, we're not all that weird. Lindzi and I are also Americans.

Uh oh. This is starting to get a little more incestuous than usual, cousin. But as long as I don't find out that my crush is actually my twin brother, things will be okay.

I was referring to that post where you were like "Yay! Misanthropy! Let's all jump on the bus!" Then later Mike was like, "A real misanthrope would not ride a bus with other people. He would (something about a dog and a car, etc., then something about you becoming his son, although you'd need to have a sex change for it to happen)." The thread was titled "Why don't you like Americans", I think.

Почётный участник
    True. Even for people who are more secular than religious, teachings from Christianity have a lot to offer. I just hate it when people become too righteous, doing or saying stupid things, and hiding behind a faith. This includes Fundamentalist Christians, Islamic Terrorists and *ahem* followers of other faiths
    I am with you entirely on this one.

Look, I'm a Christian too. But I don't live in some crazy parallel universe where Christianity in general is some ultimate religion of peace.
    Christianity IS a religion of peace. Heretic barbarians of the middle ages do not define Christianity. Christianity is defined by the teachings of Christ. People who behave otherwise in the name of Christianity are not Christians, but heretics.

Christ's principals are soundly compassionate and peaceful, but Christianity as a religion has hardly been the vanguard of decency in this world, especially back in the day. At the end of the day, Christians are just people, and people do @@@@ things. They do really amazing and wonderful things, but they do @@@@ things as well.
    Hence, what I said above. People will always do evil in the name of religion. As I said earlier, they do so because religion exists to do it with. Without religion, the problem will not go away, they'll just find another way to do the same evil.

44 Cannon (sorry if it wasn't you), I noticed some of your comments on contemporary debates, like the legitimacy of sexual pleasure and, I think, abortion, were a bit extreme. You don't happen to be American, by any chance?..
    I live in California. Sexual pleasure is fine if you have a sound foundation in your life, which enables you to take care of children if you wind up having any, and are doing it with someone who you know is not carrying any deadly diseases, in which case, condoms and birth control are not nessasary. This is among the reason why I am a sound believer in the "To death do us part" theme.
    If your just going around and sleeping with everyone, then you are wide open to cause yourself and others all kinds of hell.
    I don't know about you but I also find eating after some other guy quite tasteless if you know what I mean. Their is very hard evidence that a fetus is a living human being. Their is video footage of them interacting with doctors who do work on them while in the womb and many other things. Murdering your baby is not worth a few minutes of pleasure, especially with all the people waiting to adopt.

BTW.
    This webpage, which I made a while back, says allot about my views on Christianity:

http://www.paladinrepublic.com/incrediblepope.htm
    St. Augustine

Почтенный гражданин

Re: He is the chosen one, here to bring justice 'n other stu

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi
    Look, I'm a Christian too. But I don't live in some crazy parallel universe where Christianity in general is some ultimate religion of peace. Christ's principals are soundly compassionate and peaceful, but Christianity as a religion has hardly been the vanguard of decency in this world, especially back in the day. At the end of the day, Christians are just people, and people do @@@@ things. They do really amazing and wonderful things, but they do @@@@ things as well.
    Yep yep. Frankly, I don't think any religion is actually PEACEFUL, per se, since they are, by definition, being practiced by human beings. The principals of the religion can be peaceful, but the religion itself cannot be. Does that make any sense?

I'm not trying to cut religion down here - I'm a pretty religious person, actually. I'm just recognizing the problems inherent to any human system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon
    Look, I'm a Christian too. But I don't live in some crazy parallel universe where Christianity in general is some ultimate religion of peace.
    Christianity IS a religion of peace. Heretic barbarians of the middle ages do not define Christianity. Christianity is defined by the teachings of Christ. People who behave otherwise in the name of Christianity are not Christians, but heretics.
    Yeah, but by dint of being human, people cannot follow 100% of Christ's teachings 100% of the time. None of us share His perfection. You're a Catholic, you know about the doctrine of original sin, right? We can't all be heretics, just because we're not perfectly following the word of Christ. So where is the line drawn? Christians are constantly getting inappropriately pissed off at people, because they're human. Sometimes they act on that anger. That's not peaceful or Christ-like. Luckily, there is forgiveness.

Honestly, I'd rather acknowledge that Christianity is not a religion of peace than believe that it's impossible to be a non-heretical Christian.

I was referring to that post where you were like "Yay! Misanthropy! Let's all jump on the bus!" Then later Mike was like, "A real misanthrope would not ride a bus with other people. He would (something about a dog and a car, etc., then something about you becoming his son, although you'd need to have a sex change for it to happen)." The thread was titled "Why don't you like Americans", I think.

Oh, don't worry, my dear cousin, I do remember that. I knew what you were talking about. I was merely commenting that I think Star Wars is dull (which is not to say that our Star Wars-esque discussion was boring, simply that the films themselves put me to sleep). Except Darth Vader, he was a-okay. I'd totally join him. Boring-ass Jedis, you can have them. I want a scary mask.

Почтенный гражданин
    Lindzi and I are also Americans
    I thought we were trying to convince him that americans aren't weird.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambakis
    Lindzi and I are also Americans
    I thought we were trying to convince him that americans aren't weird.

Почётный участник
    Yeah, but by dint of being human, people cannot follow 100% of Christ's teachings 100% of the time. None of us share His perfection. You're a Catholic, you know about the doctrine of original sin, right? We can't all be heretics, just because we're not perfectly following the word of Christ. So where is the line drawn? Christians are constantly getting inappropriately pissed off at people, because they're human. Sometimes they act on that anger. That's not peaceful or Christ-like. Luckily, there is forgiveness.
    No one is perfect. The place where the line is drawn is simply between those who work hard to be good honest people, and do what's right as often as they can, VS those who use their religion as a tool for sinister objectives, popularity, or even poetic emotional gathering.
    As I said, heretics hiding behind religion does not necessarily define the religion, any more then having German soldiers dressed as American soldiers amongst them made them American soldiers.
    The teachings of the Catholic church have been based on the teachings of Christ, and those who practice otherwise, are simply not Catholics.
    It's like saying that a police force is bad by nature and design because of a few mistakes and bad cops.
    The police force has it's guidelines that it follows, and that defines what they are, just as religion does.
    All throughout the churches dark times, they have produced great people, and the teachings although came close a couple times, ultimately never were forgotten.
    This is very hard to see past to be quite frank, for myself included. I myself had a very hard time with the Church, being scientifically minded, with peoples emotional prophiganda and various other silliness clouding my prospective of exactly what the church is.
    Barbaric behavior by Catholic heretics is not the church, it is their own separate business, that they simply are doing in the name of the church.
    Also note that Christianity acknowledges this. If you spend allot of time studying with Catholics, you will find that they are more aware then anyone of the barbaric things that have and continually to happen in the name of Catholicism, and are relentlessly persistent in countering it.
    On the opposition, one of the things that served as evidence to lead me to conversion is the prophecies about the persecution of Christian in the "end times", which I myself am in the process of putting together a very detail and realistic story about.
    I think part of it is the display of timing.
    Take this for example:

At one point in the Apocalypse, during the time of "the beast", it describes a social campaign against Christian, covering the whole world, much like the Nazi Campaign against Jews, except in this case, giving Christians the option to betray their faith in exchange for social and economic acceptance, and even their very lives.
    The bible additionally describes this time, and what is to happen before and after.
    Perhaps you have read the story of the beasts. This is generally considered the most confusing part of the bible, particularly do to historical references. Some of the finer Catholic Apologetics believe that the 666 thing happened during the time of St. John. It is true that their was a man who's name added up to 666 who did many similar things, but they failed to note a couple things, the most definitive as follows:

The bible states: All Who dwelt upon the earth. This would mean 2 things, 1, all who choose to live by the laws of man, and dwell in material living and lust, generally, people who do not value afterlife, and 2, that the entire world has to be discovered and controlled by a central government or union of governments, which was never accomplished until after WW II.
    Their were many other things that place this at the end times, such as happening AFTER the Jews returned to Israel ( post WW II ).
    Now, they have discovered that their was a second code number, believed to be 888 which biblical collars think is the number of the lamb. The Number of the lamb seams to be unclear, but the best I've been able to find is that it's 333.
    However, The bible doesn't address 1 beast, but 2 of them. It addresses one having been slain to death, and then a beast representing the great nations of the world rising and healing it.
    This is the scary part, Hitler was believed to be the "anti-Christ" for his campaign, and fulfilling many of the behaviors mentioned in the bible.
    Their is a Nazi code, representing loyalty to Hitler, which is 88, where H is the 8th letter in the alphabet: 88 = HH = Hile Hitler.
    Since WW II, the UN has gradually begun using many of the behaviors used by Hitler and the Nazis. Below are just a few:

* One sided media
    * School control
    * Social Dependency on the government
    * Gun control
    * Abortion
    * Targeting minorities and religious groups for social hatred
    * Excessive Government Programs

Although we may have not seen the worst, these practices result in very terrible human behavior, hence, fulfilling the prophecy of the 2 beasts. It is said that during this time, their will be a campaign against Christians, produced by governments and social systems, and the behaviors by heretics is and always has been one of the prime tools for making this happen.
    St. Augustine

Увлечённый спикер

Re: He is the chosen one, here to bring justice 'n other stu

Yep yep. Frankly, I don't think any religion is actually PEACEFUL, per se, since they are, by definition, being practiced by human beings. The principals of the religion can be peaceful, but the religion itself cannot be. Does that make any sense?
    It makes heaps of sense. Especially these days, for example, Islam is pushed as a peaceful religion. Overall, you can see the problem this way: "Hi. I'm a very devoted believer in" X "faith. It's a faith of peace and, as such, I believe I am a peaceful 'n good person for following it. However, I feel there are people who wish to destroy what I believe in. So, therefore, it's do-or-die; me-or-them. This justifies my choice to get really p***ed off"...

This goes for pretty much any faith. The problem here, I think, is that religion sets the goal for it's followers of becoming rational and/or forsaking/controlling things like passion, emotions, carnal desire, etc. However, we're not totally rational and we can't control ourselves the way 'X' religion says to.

PS - 44 Cannon, I don't get it. How can social welfare be evil?
    You're not funny... no, wait!
    гы гы гы
    There, I laughed

Властелин
    44Canon, have you never considered the remote possibility that the media appears one-sided to you because you views are, to put it mildly, extreme/ unrepresentative/ unusual/ absurd [delete as appropriate]?

If I say the Earth is flat, 99.9% of the World's population will disagree with me, and probably laugh at me. This would not indicate an unbalnaced discussion or bias on the part of the media, it would indicate that my views were unusual/ wrong/ nuts.

Just a thought.

Старший оракул
    scotcher, it may have been a good idea to reference 44's sig when you made that post It's kind of relevant.
    Why does it remind me of Kipling ... 'blah blah when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting too'
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почётный участник
    - 44 Cannon, I don't get it. How can social welfare be evil?
    DEPENDENCY, which I suspect you are referring to ( and correct me if I am wrong ), one, has negative affects on the overall lifestyle of people, where they are unwilling to get out and fend for themselves, carry their own weight etc. creating further poverty by being weight on others. Their is also a major psychological issue which will be to long and drawn out to get in to. 2, it opens all kinds of doors for corruption.
    In America ( and many European countries ) politicians use programs for pampering citizens as a miens of bribery for votes. In a sense, it turns the election systems in to auctions, where people will vote for those who will give them the most freebees.

44Canon, have you never considered the remote possibility that the media appears one-sided to you because you views are, to put it mildly, extreme/ unrepresentative/ unusual/ absurd [delete as appropriate]?
    Once again, you only told me that I am an idiot, and put nothing behind your statements to back them up, which is becoming a routine with you. It's also a common symptom of being brainwashed ( strong views without reason behind them.
    The mainstream media goes against a large portion of what I stand for, and the vast majority of major issues.
    Anyway, explain exactly what makes my views extreme and absurd, why and how.
    St. Augustine

Почтенный гражданин
    Islam IS a religion of peace. Heretic barbarians of the modern ages do not define Islam. Islam is defined by the teachings of Muhammad. People who behave otherwise in the name of Islam are not Muslims but heretics.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Старший оракул
    Both Christianity and Islam profess to be religions of peace - according to their major modern-day proponents. Islam even means peace if I recall correctly.
    On the other hand reading the Bible and the Koran might give a different impression. Let's not forget that Christ himself said 'I bring not peace but a sword' (which, of course, is open to massive interpretation, especially given that fellow's tendency to speak in parables). Reading the Bhagavad Gita of the Hindu religion also might give people some interesting ideas about violence. As to the Buddhist Pali Canon (or Tripitaka, as it's known in some circles) ... well that tends to give a different impression.
    Ho hum.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почётный участник
    Islam IS a religion of peace. Heretic barbarians of the modern ages do not define Islam. Islam is defined by the teachings of Muhammad. People who behave otherwise in the name of Islam are not Muslims but heretics.
    Islam and Christianity have some differences in their core.
    Christianity believes in one divine teacher which has already been and gone whose teachings will remain till the end of time.
    Islam on the other hand is less set in stone, believing in multiple prophets.
    Their have been a few in the past who ordered hostility. Some Muslims buy it, others don't.
    Christianity has had the same sorts of people. The difference is that Christianity is rigged to where anything that contradicts the teachings of Christ is heresy, and their is no other divine teacher, therefore, leaving minimal room for confusion, and no room to do such behavior and think you're anything BUT Gods enemy.
    St. Augustine

Почтенный гражданин
    Islam and Christianity have some differences in their core.
    Christianity believes in one divine teacher which has already been and gone whose teachings will remain till the end of time.
    Islam on the other hand is less set in stone, believing in multiple prophets.
    Do you know anything about things you are so fond of discussing? Has it ever occurred to you that it is EXACTLY the other way around?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast