Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking about events in the past or in the future?

Hanna

Talking about events in the past or in the future?

I am having some trouble understanding this and some examples would be great. The grammar confuses a bit and sometimes I am not sure whether to use "в" or "на".

I am hoping I can understand this better with some examples.
    Is anybody willing to translate?

(I am "throwing in" some other words too, so I can learn them at the same time...)

Future
    By next spring I will be fluent in Russian.
    He can not afford to go on holiday until next summer.
    In the autumn she will take a Russian language course.
    At ome time during next winter I will take a skiing holiday in Switzerland.
    My sister is coming to visit next week.
    My cousin is having a baby next month.
    You need to finish this work by next week.
    We must continue working on this until next Wednesday.
    Unfortunately I will be too busy to see you at all before next Friday.
    Next month is January, isn't it?
    The Christmas sales will start next week. ("christmas sales"=reduced price in the shops after Christmas; means you can find bargains.)
    In the new year I will go on a diet!
    During next year I will continue to study Russian.

Past

You should have done that last week, now it is too late!
    Last month I had a cold.
    Nobody has seen him since last September.
    I bought these boots in November.
    This cheese has been in my fridge since October.
    Last winter I did not get a chance to ski at all.
    Last summer the water in the lake was too cold for swimming.
    She hasn't been on a date since last spring.
    He started studying Russian last autumn.

Re: Talking about events in the past or in the future?

I won't show my meagre skills by giving you translations, but can you be more precise about what it is in the tenses that gives you problems?

В and на can be problematic; as a general rule, it seems that if it is something with a roof so you can be inside, use в. If not or often if it is seen as an institution rather than a building, so the function is more important, use на. For example, you go на почту, = to the post office, because the function of the building as a post office is your goal, not the fact that it is a building as such.

I've also been told that в is more frequent, so if in doubt I choose that.

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

Hanna

Thanks Robin! This is probably a little bit easier for you - if I am not mistaken it's rather complicated in German too... Perhaps it's even using a similar pattern of grammar.

Thanks for the explanation about B being more common than NA.
    I've noticed that too, but then when I "least expect it" a sentence is using NA instead!

I had just put in a bunch of expressions in my flashcard set. For example:
    "Next week..." , "Last month"... etc. But it won't stick properly! I have repeated these cards so many times. On my flashcards there was no context to the sentence. Perhaps with a context it will start making more sense.

Plus there is the grammatical side of bending the "subject" (?) in the sentence, like "В ппрошлом году"....

There is just so much to mess up in this simple phrase; "next year" and similar expressions!

Also, I need to cram grammar concepts so I can actually TALK about these things in a comprehensible way. What little I used to know, I have forgotten...

Почтенный гражданин

There are no strict rules in Russian concerning the use of the Present Tense meaning some future event -- you can use either the future form (e.g. приедет -- will come/arrive) or the present (e.g. приезжает -- is coming). So, if in English it is obligatory to use Present Progressive in sentences like "He is coming tomorrow" ('coming' meaning by train or some other means of transport, not on foot), in Russian you can say both "Он приезжает завтра" and "Он приедет завтра". You can even say "Завтра он приезжает" if you want to stress the fact that it's 'tomorrow' and not on some other day. Or even "Завтра приедет он". See, Russian is extremely flexible.

P.S. On second thoughts, "приезжает" (i.e., the Present tense) sounds better...

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Future
    By next spring I will be fluent in Russian. К (следующей) весне/Весной я буду свободно говорить по-русски.
    He cannot afford to go on holiday until next summer. Он не сможет уйти в отпуск до следующего лета./Он сможет взять отпуск только следующим летом.
    In the autumn she will take a Russian language course. Осенью она запишется на курсы русского языка/возьмется за русский.
    Next winter I will take a skiing holiday in Switzerland. Следующей зимой я буду кататься на лыжах в Швейцарии.
    My sister is coming to visit next week. Моя сестра приезжает/приедет в гости на следующей неделе.
    My cousin is having a baby next month. У моей двоюродной сестры родится ребенок в следующем месяце./Моя двоюродная сестра рожает в следующем месяце.
    You need to finish this work by next week. Тебе надо закончить/окончить эту работу к следующей неделе.
    Next month is January, isn't it? Следующий месяц (ведь) январь, да?
    The Christmas sales will start next week. ("christmas sales"=reduced price in the shops after Christmas; means you can find bargains.) Рождественские распродажи начнутся (Future) /начинаются (Present) со следующей недели.
    Past
    You should have done that last week, now it is too late! Это надо было сделать ещё на прошлой неделе, а теперь уже (слишком) поздно! / Ты должен был это сделать...
    Last month I had a cold. У меня было простуда в прошлом месяце.
    Nobody has seen him since last September. Никто его не видел с прошлого сентября/с сентября прошлого года.
    I bought these boots in November. Я купил(а) эти ботинки в ноябре.
    This cheese has been in my fridge since October. Этот сыр лежит у меня в холодильнике с октября. (if it's still lying there)
    Last winter I did not get a chance to ski at all. Прошлой зимой мне совсем/и вовсе не удалось покататься на лыжах.
    Last summer the water in the lake was too cold for swimming. Прошлым летом вода в озере была слишком холодной для плавания / чтобы (в ней) плавать.
    She hasn't been on a date since last spring. Она ни с кем не встречалась с прошлой весны. (the literal translation of 'be/go on a date' is "ходить на свидания" but I think it's not used too often...)
    He started studying Russian last autumn. Он стал/начал учить русский прошлой/той осенью.
    Hmm... Something like this.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Thanks Robin! This is probably a little bit easier for you - if I am not mistaken it's rather complicated in German too... Perhaps it's even using a similar pattern of grammar.
    Indeed, though it would be too much to ask that German and Russian agree all the time...

I had just put in a bunch of expressions in my flashcard set. For example:
    "Next week..." , "Last month"... etc. But it won't stick properly! I have repeated these cards so many times. On my flashcards there was no context to the sentence. Perhaps with a context it will start making more sense.
    I should add that I was referring to в and на in a context of location, as 'where does it take place?', which takes prepositive, or 'where do we move towards?', which takes accusative.

Plus there is the grammatical side of bending the "subject" (?) in the sentence, like "В ппрошлом году"....
    When it's not in nominative case it's not a subject. This is accusative. In (English) grammar terms it is an adverbial phrase of time.

There is just so much to mess up in this simple phrase; "next year" and similar expressions!
    Indeed, the various prepositions for 'when?' plus a specific category (day, month, year, hour...) need to be learned.

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

Hanna

Thanks Starrysky! I was worried that I was perhaps asking for too much translation.. Don't want to take peoples' helpfulness for granted..

This will be brilliant for me... I am hoping that I will be able to see some pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    See, Russian is extremely flexible.
    Yeah - linguistically it's a very cool language. People in IT (my area) joke that the reason Russians tend to be good at the "serious" programming languages is because of the syntax of the Russian langauge (applies to some other Slavic langauges too, I guess). The idea is that Russian allows for very minimalistic sentences and inventiveness in word order and structure. All this is good for writing efficient computer code. Not sure if it's really true, but I've heard this claim a few times. I worked once with a Serbian and a Russian guy - they teased me for my "essay" code (=too long). They wrote the same routine in half the space it took me. Which is why I am a manager now, hehe...

Thanks also for the tips, Robin!
    It's so nice to have a helpful learner who is a couple of steps ahead of me... Some things are better explained by somebody who had to consciously learn them than somebody who always knew them and never had to make the effort... Personally I can't explain a lot of things about Swedish. English is easier for me to explain because it has been a conscious effort to learn it.

I've got to cram plain regular grammar until I learn the concepts. For some reason I find it very hard. In school I studied mainly French and Spanish and grammar skills on that level aren't needed in the same way for those langauges as they are for Russian (and German...) So i never had an opportunity to practice it

Почтенный гражданин

There is no logic in the use of prepositions and cases in the formation of time complements so you have to learn all this, or, more likely, you have to get used to this. It is very important not to learn isolated chunks because in many case there is not only one correct variant, it is a matter of meaning. With неделя for example, you can say
    На этой/прошлой/будущей неделе.
    But you can also say
    В эту/ту/первую/ (во) вторую/... неделю.

So you see that with этот you get to choose. Now you don't choose by tossing a coin, obviously. Those phrases do not mean the same.
    На этой неделе is what you use when you are speaking of *this* week, I mean, the current week. Like "This week I'm getting married".
    В эту неделю is what you use when there is some kind of narration, that is, events are going on, there is a chronological frame, and the week you are talking about is known by the context. For example, if some friend has a free week and wants to visit you, and you are busy, you will tell him something like "В эту неделю я буду занята", meaning "During the week you're talking about", and not "THIS week, the current week, I'm busy".
    Then if you want to say that you go to the swimming-pool three times a week, this is also в неделю: Я хожу в бассейн три раза в неделю.

In some cases, not every Russian will agree on what is right or wrong. I asked two Russians about the difference between этот раз, на этот раз, в этот раз and if they all sounded equally good and they had two different opinions.

Russians fellows, please correct me if I said something wrong.

Time complement are a very complex matter. I think it will take many years before we get to master this part of grammar.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Zubr
    There is no logic in the use of prepositions and cases in the formation of time complements so you have to learn all this, or, more likely, you have to get used to this. It is very important not to learn isolated chunks because in many case there is not only one correct variant, it is a matter of meaning.
    Yes, I absolutely agree with this. But to some degree this seems to be true for many foreign languages -- some things you just have to learn because they don't seem to have any logic to them (like the preposition 'to' in this sentence and similar sentences # There are many nasty aspects to this case). From the Russian standpoint, English prepositions often seem quite hard to learn.

"В эту неделю я буду занята", meaning "During the week you're talking about", and not "THIS week, the current week, I'm busy".
    Hmmm... "В эту неделю" seems ok but I'd actually say "Эту неделю я занята" or even "На этой неделе я занята." Yeah, lots of variants.

Yeah - linguistically it's a very cool language. People in IT (my area) joke that the reason Russians tend to be good at the "serious" programming languages is because of the syntax of the Russian langauge
    Here it's often said that English is cool because it's straight, clear and analytical.

Continuing with the "He's coming tomorrow" sentence -- I've counted 12 possible ways of translating this phrase (the neutral and 'normal' ones are in bold; the one in cursive you are less likely to hear in everyday speech):

1. Он приедет завтра.
    Он завтра приедет.
    Приедет он завтра.
    Приедет завтра он.
    Завтра он приедет.
    Завтра приедет он.

2. Он приезжает завтра.
    Он завтра приезжает.
    Завтра он приезжает.
    Завтра приезжает он.
    Приезжает он завтра.
    Приезжает завтра он.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    Hmmm... "В эту неделю" seems ok but I'd actually say "Эту неделю я занята" or even "На этой неделе я занята." Yeah, lots of variants.
    Удивляюсь. Ты в самом деле сказал бы «на этой неделе» если речь идёт не о настоящей неделе, а о будущей? А что если ты говоришь о прошлом? Например: «Извини, что не позвонила, но я была очень занята (в) эту неделю» или «я была очень занята на этой неделе»?

Очень интересная тема вообще. У меня вопросов есть море, но я не стану их ставить сюда.

[s:29ygwqtc]Удивляюсь[/s:29ygwqtc] Странно. Ты в самом деле сказал бы «на этой неделе» если речь идёт не о настоящей неделе, а о будущей? А что если ты говоришь о прошлом? Например: «Извини, что не позвонила, но я была очень занята (в) эту неделю» или «я была очень занята на этой неделе»?

Очень интересная тема вообще. У меня вопросов есть море, но я не стану их [s:29ygwqtc]ставить сюда[/s:29ygwqtc] задавать здесь.
    «Извини, что не позвонила, но я была очень занята на той неделе.» (Имеется в виду на прошлой неделе (the week before this one).)

«Извини, что не позвонила в первую неделю марта, но я была очень занята на этой неделе.» "Эта" можно говорить, если в предыдущем тексте было явное упоминание конкретной недели. Тогда местоимение "эта" ссылается на это упоминание.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Почтенный гражданин

Гм.. Надеюсь, Йоханна простит меня, но я вот не удовлетворюсь, пока не пойму. Позвольте мне попробовать ещё раз определить разницу между «на этой неделе» и «в эту неделю». Я поискал примера, вот что нашёл:

Замечу вскользь, что в эту несчастную неделю я вынес много тоски, -
    оставаясь почти безотлучно подле бедного сосватанного друга моего, в
    качестве ближайшего его конфидента. Тяготил его, главное, стыд, хотя мы в
    эту неделю
    никого не видали и все сидели одни; но он стыдился даже и меня, и
    до того, что чем более сам открывал мне, тем более и досадовал на меня за
    это.

(Из «Бесов» Достоевского)

Что вы думаете? Тут возможны были и обороты с предлогом на, управляющым предложный падеж?

А что если событие не занимает всё время недели? Например: «Я родился в ту же неделю, когда человек в первый раз ступил на Луну».

Завсегдатай

Гм.. Надеюсь, Юханна простит меня, но я вот не удовлетворюсь, пока не пойму. Позвольте мне попробовать ещё раз определить разницу между «на этой неделе» и «в эту неделю». Я поискал примеры, вот что нашёл:

Замечу вскользь, что в эту несчастную неделю я вынес много тоски, -
    оставаясь почти безотлучно подле бедного сосватанного друга моего, в
    качестве ближайшего его конфидента. Тяготил его, главное, стыд, хотя мы в
    эту неделю
    никого не видали и все сидели одни; но он стыдился даже и меня, и
    до того, что чем более сам открывал мне, тем более и досадовал на меня за
    это.

(Из «Бесов» Достоевского)
    Если кратко, то употребление слова "неделя" с предлогом "в" звучит устаревше. Я никогда не скажу "в ту неделю я была занята". Только "на той неделе".

А что если событие не занимает всё время недели? Например: «Я родился в ту же неделю, когда человек в первый раз ступил на Луну».
    Это приемлемо, но всё равно "Я родился на той же неделе..." звучит более современно.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин

"В эту неделю" действительно звучит немного устаревше, хотя в общем-то слух не режет. Возможно, дело в том, что "в эту неделю" зарезервировано исключительно для повествования и воспринимается как литературная форма. Т.е. в обычной жизни редко кто будет так рассказывать:

Замечу вскользь, что в эту несчастную неделю я вынес много тоски...

Основное значение "на этой неделе", действительно "this week." Однако, это выражение также может означать любую неделю, если предварительно упоминается, что это за неделя:

#-- С 15 по 22 будет проходить фестиваль народных искусств. Может сходим?
    -- Нет, на этой неделе я занята/на той неделе я буду занята.

Как уже говорилось, есть также выражения "на той неделе", "на прошлой неделе" и "на следующей неделе".

Набрала в yandex.ru "в эту неделю" -- такое ощущение, что в основном этот оборот используется в гороскопах и текстах, связанных с религией:

-- "Третья подготовительная неделя называется “мясопустною”, или “сырною”, а по народному – “масленица”. В эту неделю уже нельзя есть мясо". (про пост)
    -- "Удачу в эту неделю могут принести: общение с влиятельными людьми, особенно старшего поколения... (гороскоп)
    -- "СКОРПИОНУ рекомендуется поберечь финансовые ресурсы - в эту неделю доходная статья вашего бюджета может оказаться несколько ниже расходной". (гороскоп)
    -- "Сны в эту неделю могут быть пророческими. Любые поездки Львам лучше отложить до четверга, тогда же могут появиться предложения о новых заработках, поступит нужная информация". (гороскоп)
    -- "В эту неделю нежелательно совершать крупные покупки — велик риск напрасной траты денег и приобретения совершенно ненужных, да к тому же некачественных вещей. На выигрыши и удачные вложения средств тоже лучше не рассчитывать". (гороскоп)

Почтенный гражданин

Спасибо! Всё это очень интересно.

Почтенный гражданин

Набрала в yandex.ru "в эту неделю" -- такое ощущение, что в основном этот оборот используется в гороскопах и текстах, связанных с религией
    Гороскопы появились в первых рядах потому, что вы ввели в поисковик слово, связанное со временем. А о времени больше всего пишут астрологи.

Hanna

English is cool because it's straight, clear and analytical.
    It's just REALLY different from Russian, that's for sure. I think it's VERY illogical though. The spelling/pronounciation is illogical and many common expressions.
    ---------------------------------------
    I have forgotten how I learnt the basics of English because I was too young at the time.

But I remember being a teenager and being embarrased of speaking English with some British and American students at my school.

So I started reading in English only. After doing that for a while , many things started falling into place for me.

Reading is definitely the right way to improve grammar. I am just not sure if I'm ready yet... I was MUCH better at English when I started reading in English than what I am at Russian right now.

In order to understand most sentences that are written here I have to run at least one word in the translator plugin in Firefox...

You should try to read something in Russian anyway. I bought my first Russian novel about half a year ago, which was also half a year into learning the language, and I read it at glacial speed. But I have finished it. Now I'm on my second. Things falling into place is exactly what you'll notice. And you can always read it again later to see what you missed.

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

He cannot afford to go on holiday until next summer. Он не сможет уйти в отпуск до следующего лета./Он сможет взять отпуск только следующим летом.
    "He cannot afford" This part you did not mention. It specifically implies "money".

Can you give a couple of examples in Russian?
    perhaps, с трудом позволить себе такой расход or ему не по карману

How natural would this be to you?
    Отпуск, ему не по карману до следующего лета.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by bitpicker
    You should try to read something in Russian anyway. I bought my first Russian novel about half a year ago, which was also half a year into learning the language, and I read it at glacial speed. But I have finished it. Now I'm on my second. Things falling into place is exactly what you'll notice. And you can always read it again later to see what you missed.
    Robin
    Thanks for the tip. Starrysky said the same thing and I trust both your opinions.
    Ok, I'll start the "Sister Pelagia" book by Akunin over Christmas.
    What is "glacial speed"? I guess it must mean slow...

I honestly don't think I have the same degree of talent with languages as you or Starrysky though. I more or less got kicked out of Russian in school, because I fell behind (didn't study enough... ) I never quite got over that! And despite 5 years of French I can't have a simple conversation without making tons of mistakes.

The English books I read as a teenager were the trashiest and most formulaic sort of bestseller you can imagine. I got hooked on a super-trashy series that contained over ten quite lengthy books.. (Virginia Andrews....) I remember starting the series and missing some vital information but being a lot better by the last book. I just read and ignored the words I didn't know.

What is "glacial speed"? I guess it must mean slow...
    Yes, the speed at which a glacier moves.

I honestly don't think I have the same degree of talent with languages as you or Starrysky though. I more or less got kicked out of Russian in school, because I fell behind (didn't study enough... ) I never quite got over that! And despite 5 years of French I can't have a simple conversation without making tons of mistakes.
    Maybe you still need to find the best way for you to learn a language. I totally sucked at Latin. Granted, they don't teach that as a language but as an arcane system of tables, implying that modern humans are too stupid to learn the language. That's just not the way to learn a language for me. I probably learned English well because there's little use in putting it into tables... I learned English because I read many novels, sang (well screamed, growled) along to music and fell in undying love with Monty Python. School and structured learning only provided the very basics. Likewise with Russian: you won't catch me using flash cards to learn words, I don't even make the slightest attempt at actually memorizing anything. I just use the language by reading and writing e-mails, and when I have to I look up the same word a hundred times until it sticks, but only when I need it. As I always take it from a context it gets far better integration in my mind than if I learned it only because I had to, with no context at all. I also read a couple of grammar books front to back to see what to expect, but I still look up cases and conjugations.

It is my strong belief that I can assimilate the language in much the same way a child does, with the additional advantage of being able to support that intellectually by comparing the language with others and by analyzing grammar. And so far I am sure my Russian is much better than that of any one-year-old native speaker. Especially in writing.

And as for English, you shouldn't forget there's a good chance that I've been learning and using English for longer than you live. That's a bit of a headstart.

The English books I read as a teenager were the trashiest and most formulaic sort of bestseller you can imagine.
    Well, this isn't about a Russian Literature major but the language as such. My first English novel was Stephen King's Pet Sematary. My first Russian novel was Oksana Robski's Casual (yes, English title, but Russian text... ). Not exactly high literature, but, and that's the good thing about it, realistic in literary terms. Actual everyday language and situations. Now I am reading Ночной дозор. Many more words my dictionary doesn't include than in Casual. Though I suspect some are caused by typos. For example радражение - not in any dictionary of mine, but раздражение is.

In any case, I'm not much interested in high literature, no matter which language. Learning needs to be fun, not pain.

Robin
    Спасибо за исправления!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast