Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Future / Past Tense questions

  1. #1
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    11

    Future / Past Tense questions

    Hello, about the future tense(s), are there only two?

    ...and is this the difference?

    Ya govoru (as in "I will speak at the meeting") (or should this be "Ya skazhu"?)
    Ya budu govorit' (as in "I will speak for two hours")


    Also, in the past perfect tense, ( I think this is the one, please correct me if I'm wrong), Most are formed with "Po" or "Za" preceeding the verb... Is there any way to know which one, or is it just something you have to learn?

    Thanks for the answers, I am finally going to start formal lessons tonight, so I won't be so much of a durok!
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    There are two:

    Ya skazhu - perfective
    Ya budu govorit' - imperfective

    The first means that you will do something and be done with it, the second means that there will be some kind of ongoing action in the future.

    As for your past tense question, no, you have to learn it for each verb, and many are not formed by "po" or "za."

  3. #3
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    There are two:

    Ya skazhu - perfective
    Ya budu govorit' - imperfective

    The first means that you will do something and be done with it, the second means that there will be some kind of ongoing action in the future.

    As for your past tense question, no, you have to learn it for each verb, and many are not formed by "po" or "za."
    Question:

    Could "I will speak at the meeting" not be considered a planned future tense, and so also legitimately be translated as "я говорю на собрании*", the tense being understood from the context?

    *(or however you translate 'meeting')

  4. #4
    N
    N is offline
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    377
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    *(or however you translate 'meeting')
    совещание (about business matters)

    собрание is connected with something торжественным

  5. #5
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Спасибо, наверно я должен найти мой большой словарь

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    There are two:

    Ya skazhu - perfective
    Ya budu govorit' - imperfective

    The first means that you will do something and be done with it, the second means that there will be some kind of ongoing action in the future.

    As for your past tense question, no, you have to learn it for each verb, and many are not formed by "po" or "za."
    Question:

    Could "I will speak at the meeting" not be considered a planned future tense, and so also legitimately be translated as "я говорю на собрании*", the tense being understood from the context?

    *(or however you translate 'meeting')
    You could say: завтра я говорю на совещании
    But that translates to "Tomorrow I am speaking at the meeting", which IMHO sounds a little funny.
    If you say "I will" it is planned and you need either future perfect or imperfect. In this context буду говорить, because it is a general statement, with no information on specific statement or to whom.

    You could say: я скажу людям на совещании, что их всех уволили
    I will tell the people at the meeting that they are all fired

    ... I think ?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    In this kind of situation I usually dodge the question and say something like this:

    Я произношу речь на совещании.

    However, I think буду говорить would probably be OK.

  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    You could say: завтра я говорю на совещании
    But that translates to "Tomorrow I am speaking at the meeting", which IMHO sounds a little funny.
    If you say "I will" it is planned and you need either future perfect or imperfect. In this context буду говорить, because it is a general statement, with no information on specific statement or to whom.

    You could say: я скажу людям на совещании, что их всех уволили
    I will tell the people at the meeting that they are all fired

    ... I think ?
    Cheers Vinnie

    Right so, you if can say "завтра я говорю на совещании", could you just say "я говорю на совещании" so long as the person you're talking to knows which meeting you are talking about and when it is taking place?

    I ask because, you reckon the translation sounds funny in English, but I'd actually disagree, though I'd put it in a slightly different order:

    "I am/ I'm speaking at the meeting tomorrow"

    "I'm going to London tomorrow"

    etc

    That's perfectly normal English in my opinion, and both of them would be just fine without the "tomorrow" qualifier too, so long as the other party understood (from context, or implicit shared knowledge) that you were talking about the future.

    Is the same thing (generally) possible in Russian?

    (I'm not realy asking about the specific example used, because the fact that говорить/ сказать is a fairly atypical imperfective/ perfective pairing complicates things a wee bit)

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    Right so, you if can say "завтра я говорю на совещании", could you just say "я говорю на совещании" so long as the person you're talking to knows which meeting you are talking about and when it is taking place?
    I think we'd have to go to native speakers for that one. I am of the opinion that you can't.

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Well I know you can say: завтра, я иду на работу - Tomorrow I am going to work
    Which sounds fine in both languages.

    Tomorrow I am speaking at the meeting... maybe, maybe... I really think this rule only applies to verbs of motion.

    Я произношу речь на совещании
    I will hold a speech at the meeting
    Sounds good, but in the world of business wouldn't you rather use:
    Я представлю на совещании/я буду представлять на совещании
    I will present at the meeting/ I will be presenting at the meeting
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    завтра, я иду на работу
    The verbs of motion are always weird. You can say я ходил в магазин to mean you went to the store once and came back. And I'm not too sure myself if you can really say "завтра, я иду на работу". Motion verbs are strange but I'm thinking that may not be entirely correct.

    About what scotcher is talking about, I know it's fair game in German as well(n

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SPb.ru -> California.us
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    In this kind of situation I usually dodge the question and say something like this:

    Я произношу речь на совещании.

    However, I think буду говорить would probably be OK.
    Я бы сказал так:

    Я выступаю <с речью> на совещании

Similar Threads

  1. Three sentences in the future tense
    By Yury in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 24th, 2009, 06:10 AM
  2. Immediate future by using the past tense
    By Yuki in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 16th, 2008, 02:56 AM
  3. The best way to say that in the past tense?
    By Rtyom in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 16th, 2005, 06:01 PM
  4. Future Simple Tense
    By Sleep in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 5th, 2005, 01:19 AM
  5. Just to be sure...Present-future tense Russian Verbs
    By SashaT in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 20th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary