Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian verbal aspects and tenses

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Я тоже подумала про такую версию, но мне все-таки кажется, что гораздо чаще говорят съехать откуда, а не съехать куда. Например, "он съехал с квартиры", "он отсюда съехал", или просто "он съехал" - звучит вполне нормально. А вот "он съехал в Москву", "он съехал в другое имение" - для меня звучит плохо.
    Мы исключили все невероятные версии. Осталась одна, стало быть, она единственно верная, что и было очевидно с самого началы... это был герцог! Вне всяких сомнений!
    Я так думаю.

JackBoni

Saying "used to" in Russian

Am I right in saying that the imperfective past can be used to mean "I used to" in Russian? For example:

Я играл по воскресеньям в теннис = I used to play tennis on Sundays
    Мне нравился читать фильмы по-немецки, но сейчас мне нравятся их смотреть по-русски

If the imperfective past means anything other than this, or if I have just got the context wrong, can someone please explain this concept to me please? What other implications, if any, do the imperfective past have?

большое спасибо за помощь. Я жду с нетерпением ответа

Джек

Завсегдатай

Re: Saying "used to" in Russian

Quote Originally Posted by JackBoni
    Am I right in saying that the imperfective past can be used to mean "I used to" in Russian? For example:
    Я играл по воскресеньям в теннис = I used to play tennis on Sundays
    Yes, absolutely correct.

Мне нравилось читать фильмы по-немецки, но сейчас мне нравится их смотреть по-русски
    The sentence is not clear. First, what does "читать фильмы" mean? Do you say "to read movies" in English? In Russian, it has no sense.
    Second, "смотреть по-немецки/по-русски/etc" is incorrect grammatically. One can say "смотреть фильмы на русском". But I still can't understand what the movies are this if you can "read" (or watch?) them in German and then in Russian. Because if you say "смотреть их" that means that you are talking about the same movies.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

yes, we WATCH movies.

Basically think of the perfective as calling the reader's/listener's attention to a COMPLETED EVENT. and the imperfect does not. That's all, don't say that the imp. emphasizes something else, just a matter of COMPLETION versus no mention of completion. We may think of the dichotomy complete:incomplete action but the imp. does not focus on anything, it just states the action.

JackBoni
    Yes, we watch movies in English - I wrote that message at about midnight last night and probably was in the middle of writing something else and changed my mind.

Мне нравился смотреть фильмы по-немецки, но сейчас мне нравятся их смотреть по-русски

This is what I meant. Does that now make sense?

Спасибо

Джек

JackBoni
    Yes, we watch movies in English - I wrote that message at about midnight last night and probably was in the middle of writing something else and changed my mind.

Мне нравился смотреть фильмы по-немецки, но сейчас мне нравятся их смотреть по-русски

Спасибо

Джек

JackBoni
    Sorry about the extra posts earlier; I clicked the icon too many times. I will use this opportunity to write a few more sentences (hopefully correctly this time) Are they understandable, and is there any context missing?

Завстра я пойду в книжный магазин, чтобы купить книгу, которая мне поможет понять русские падежи

Вчера я поездил в город, чтобы сделать покупики

Я часто иду в кино

I still don't understand movement verbs; it's pretty much just a gamble whether I get them right or not. It's probably supposed to be really simple, but I just don't get it. Can someone give me a simplified explanation, if it's not too much trouble? The rules seem to be different in different tenses too, I think, so it just makes it even more complicated.

Большое спасибо
    Джек

Завсегдатай

As I already have corrected:
    Мне нравилось смотреть фильмы на немецком, но сейчас мне нравится смотреть фильмы на русском.

Завтра я пойду в книжный магазин, чтобы купить книгу, которая мне поможет понять русские падежи. correct, just one typo ("завстра")

Вчера я съездил в город, чтобы сделать покупки.

Я часто хожу в кино.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин
    Я часто хожу в кино
    Words like часто, обычно, and иногда imply repeated motion, so you always want to use the multidirectional form with them.

I still don't understand movement verbs; it's pretty much just a gamble whether I get them right or not. It's probably supposed to be really simple, but I just don't get it. Can someone give me a simplified explanation, if it's not too much trouble? The rules seem to be different in different tenses too, I think, so it just makes it even more complicated.

Большое спасибо
    Джек
    In general, use the multidirectional verbs when:

- The action involves more than one direction, e.g. walking around town, round trips, etc.
    - Repeated or habitual actions (looks for words like sometimes, often, usually, or every day)
    - There is no direction, e.g., I never run = я никогда не бегаю.
    - Direction is irrelevant or not specified, e.g., Я хочу бегать.

Use the unidirectional verbs for:

- Motion in one direction only, e.g., Я иду по улице.
    - With things that move in only one direction, like rain, snow, and time.
    - With single trips in the future (unless you want to emphasize the fact you are returning.)

JackBoni
    Спасибо за объяснение и исправления. Они мне действительно помогли. Я думаю, что я теперь понимаю. Мой словарный запас сейчас очень оганичиван, потому что у меня нет много времени улучшать свой знание. Мне нравится понять основную грамматику языка, прежде чем я начинаю учить много слов. Как работает стадательный залог на русском? Я не его понимаю. Я его узнавать, а я не знаю, как его сделать. Дайте мне объяснение, пожалуйста.

Спасибо
    Джек

Is it rude to say "Дайте мне" in Russian, as it is rude in English to say "Give me ..."? I heard not, but it still sounds rude to me. Спасибо за помощь

Завсегдатай
    Спасибо за объяснения и исправления. Они мне действительно помогли. Я думаю, что я теперь понимаю. Мой словарный запас сейчас очень ограничен, потому что у меня недостаточно времени совершенствовать свои знания (singular is своё знание). Я люблю сначала / Мне лучше сначала / Я считаю, что сначала нужно / Мне удобнее сначала понять основную грамматику языка, прежде чем я начинаю учить много слов. Как работает страдательный залог в русском? Я его не понимаю. Я его узнавать (it isn't clear. "узнал"? "выучил"?), но я не знаю, как его использовать. Объясните мне, пожалуйста.

Is it rude to say "Дайте мне" in Russian
    "Дайте мне" is not rude at all, it's just not idiomatic.

Увлечённый спикер
    Sounds like a request.

Grogs, Good description of the rule. But we can make it even simpler (less to memorize) with a slight modification:

Use the unidirectional verbs for:
    - Motion in one direction only, e.g., Я иду по улице.
    - With things that move in only one direction, like rain, snow, and time.
    - With single trips in the future (unless you want to emphasize the fact you are returning.)
    Use the other ones everywhere else.

Оля !
    >Ok, English is not that ugly...
    Шаг к успеху с нашим «великим и могучим» языком!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    Оля !
    >Ok, English is not that ugly...
    Шаг к успеху с нашим «великим и могучим» языком!
    Да, я прям сама удивляюсь...

Завсегдатай
    Вот на что способен дядя Алан!
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Увлечённый спикер
    I'm into my 7th year of Russian studies and was a bit embarrassed that I haven't yet got to grips with verbs of motion (or some ordinary verbs for that matter ). Seeing native speakers and people who have been studying the language for years and decades arguing over them makes me feel better. :P

Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    A multidirectional verb of motion + prefix = imperfective verb
    A unidirectional verb of motion + prefix = perfective verb

летать (multidirectional) + c = слетать (imperfective)
    лететь (unidirectional) + c = cлететь (perfective)

ходить (multidirectional) + c = сходить (imp.)
    идти (unidirectional) + c = сойти (perf.)
    For the record, the above explanation makes the most sense to me and bears the closest resemblance to what I have been taught. I was taught that SVMs (simple verbs of motion) have two imperfective forms and one perfective form, and that PVMs (prefixed verbs of motion) have one imperfective and perfective pair, like most/all other verbs.

Example of an SVM:

ходить - to go habitually, to go multidirectionally - imperfective (Я хожу в школу каждый день. - I go to school every day.)
    идти - to be going on one particular occasion, to one particular destination - imperfective (Куда он идёт? - Where is he going?)
    пойти - to go and finish the process of going (sorry for the awkwardness of that definition ) - perfective (Куда он пошёл вчера? - Where did he go yesterday? but Куда он шёл когда он решил возратиться домой? - Where was he going when he decided to return home? (i.e. he was in the process of going somewhere, but his decision to return home interrupted this process.))

Example of a PVM:

входить - to go in(to), to enter habitually or generally- imperfective (Я вхожу в магазине еженедельно. - I go into the shop every week.)
    войти - to go in(to), to enter on a specific, completed occasion - perfective (Я войду в комнате когда ужин готов. - I will enter the room when dinner is ready.)

Can a native and/or confident speaker confirm whether I'm right in my understanding of this grammar?

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91
    Example of a PVM:

входить - to go in(to), to enter habitually or generally- imperfective (Я вхожу в магазине еженедельно. - I go into the shop every week.)
    The sentence is wrong. It should be:
    Я хожу в магазин_ еженедельно (or каждую неделю).

войти - to go in(to), to enter on a specific, completed occasion - perfective (Я войду в комнате когда ужин готов. - I will enter the room when dinner is ready.)
    This sentence is wrong too. It should be:
    Я войду в комнату, когда ужин будет готов.

Увлечённый спикер
    Example of a PVM:

The sentence is wrong. It should be:
    Я хожу в магазин_ еженедельно (or каждую неделю).
    Agreed. I've always thought it a bit odd the way in which "in" is conveyed twice in the phrase входить в. I asked my teacher whether you could omit the preposition and say входить комнату, but he said that the preposition has to be present. The way you arrange the sentence, with a non-prefixed verb followed by a preposition makes much more sense to me, as there is no need to prefix the verb when the preposition after it satisfactorily alters the meaning.

This sentence is wrong too. It should be:
    Я войду в комнату, когда ужин будет готов.
    Ah, I didn't realise it was the accusative case. Presumably this is because the preposition в implies into, i.e. motion, whereas the prepositional case is used for stationary positions (such as я в комнате)?

Regarding когда ужин будет готов, I have this same problem when writing French. The problem is that English doesn't always use the future tense even though a future time is implied. I need to drill it into my head that French and Russian follow their tenses through properly.

Полезные в отношении к глаголам движения книги:

Г.Л. Скворцова, Глаголы движения - без ошибок. М., «Русский язык. Курсы», 2003г.

Л.С. Муравьёва, Глаголы движения в русском языке. М., изд. «Русский язык», 2001г.

Плюс пара общих полезных книг:

И.М. Пуькина, Е.Б. Захава-Некрасова, Практическая грамматика с упражнениями. М., изд. «Русский язык», 2002г.

и последяя но не менее важная книга,

Terence Wade, A Comprehensive Russian Grammar, London?, Blackwell Pub. Co., 2003.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast