Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Difference in meaning

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин Mordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium, Europe, Мир
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    11

    Difference in meaning

    Я сказал, что сегодня утром он мне звонил

    My course says: I said that he rang me today. It is a completed action

    Я сказал, что сегодня утром он мне позвонил

    then! I don't understand the difference with the sentence with the perfective verb

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Сварга
    Posts
    1,391
    Rep Power
    12
    It may be close to simple past/present perfect in English

    "Он звонил мне" is a plain constatation, "он позвонил мне" means it was a resulting action, which had some consequences

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин Mordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium, Europe, Мир
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra
    It may be close to simple past/present perfect in English

    "Он звонил мне" is a plain constatation, "он позвонил мне" means it was a resulting action, which had some consequences
    consequences in the present

  4. #4
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    позвонил emphasizes that he's called once
    звонил could be once or several times, it's not important. The important thing is that he called you (and you talked, exchanged info).

    In most situations the sentences are practically equivalent

    btw утром means in the morning.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    позвонил emphasizes that he's called once
    звонил could be once or several times, it's not important. The important thing is that he called you (and you talked, exchanged info).

    In most situations the sentences are practically equivalent

    btw утром means in the morning.
    Yes. Позвонил is like "he called me, I answered, we talked, the convo ended" (Success in calling).

    Звонил is just like "he called, maybe I didn't even answer, I might not have been in", etc.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  6. #6
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY

    Yes. Позвонил is like "he called me, I answered, we talked, the convo ended" (Success in calling).

    Звонил is just like "he called, maybe I didn't even answer, I might not have been in", etc.
    Not necessarily

    Он позвонил мне сегодня утром, но меня не было дома - it works.

    There is a grain of truth in what you said, but context is required.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    "Звонил" - долго.
    Телефон звонил в течение двух минут.

    "Позвонил" - один раз. Потом еще раз позвонил
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY

    Yes. Позвонил is like "he called me, I answered, we talked, the convo ended" (Success in calling).

    Звонил is just like "he called, maybe I didn't even answer, I might not have been in", etc.
    Mmm, I thought about it again and this is probably where it comes from:

    Позвонил => called definitely once => probably successfully (or did not bother too much with it)

    звонил => called or called repetitively => could be unsuccessfully
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Нижний Новгород
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc

    Позвонил => called definitely once => probably successfully (or did not bother too much with it)

    звонил => called or called repetitively => could be unsuccessfully
    Yes, absolutely correct.

Similar Threads

  1. What is the meaning of...
    By PunkyBabyJr in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 15th, 2009, 11:37 PM
  2. What is the meaning of
    By ahmed sujau in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
  3. please help with meaning?
    By nice_melons in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 17th, 2006, 05:13 AM
  5. same meaning?
    By basurero in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 8th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary