Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motion verbs

Почтенный гражданин

difference

V chyom raznitsa mezhdu...

Ukhodit' s

Skhodit' s

Does the former mean that you're leaving downwards from somewhere,

And the latter just means that you're moving downwards from somewhere?

I get so confused with this stuff.

Thanks!!!
    В эту ночь все огни погасли в Джорджии
    В эту ночь невиновного человека повесили
    Не доверяй тайну никакому деревенщине-адвокату
    Ведь руки городского судьи в крови

Завсегдатай
    we talked about Из от с before.

из is when u phsycially come out of a place, like, a building, your mom, chechnya, the town square, a box.

Anywhere where u can be phsycally inside it, you would porbly use из.

От is like, when u get something from something. Like, i got it from the store. I got sick from the diseas. I want to cry from the pain.

C is from an area that is obscure, or has no real boarders. Like, the sky, the sea, work, war... etc.

Also, у means from when there is an action involced.

So examples are.

Я подошёл к маме сразу после того как она вышла из банка.
    I walked up to mom right after she left the bank (and asked for money or something)

Мне хочется плакать от боли
    i want to cry from the pain

Звезда подала с неба
    a star fell from the sky

Я взял мяч у неё
    I grabbed the ball from her.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    we talked about Из от с before.

из is when u phsycially come out of a place, like, a building, your mom, chechnya, the town square, a box.

Anywhere where u can be phsycally inside it, you would porbly use из.

От is like, when u get something from something. Like, i got it from the store. I got sick from the diseas. I want to cry from the pain.

C is from an area that is obscure, or has no real boarders. Like, the sky, the sea, work, war... etc.

Also, у means from when there is an action involced.

So examples are.

Я подошёл к маме сразу после того как она вышла из банка.
    I walked up to mom right after she left the bank (and asked for money or something)

Мне хочется плакать от боли
    i want to cry from the pain

Звезда подала с неба
    a star fell from the sky

Я взял мяч у неё
    I grabbed the ball from her.
    If we are dealing strictly with motion of iz, ot and c (leaving all of the other stuff aside, ie from pain, etc,) there is a system. This is just for motion verbs.

v uses iz
    na uses c
    k uses ot

viz nac kot, if you want to memorize it that way.

So if you were to use v ( ya idu v magazin) the opposite would be, ya idu iz magazina. I am coming from the store

for na: Kazhdi den, ya xozhu na rabotu (I go to work every day)
    opposite of that. Ya xozhu c raboti I come back from work. Note c uses genitive case

For k: This is used only with people. Ya idu k ivany. I am going to inan's place

The opposite. Ya idu ot ivana. I am on my way from ivan's.

This is pretty standard text book stuff. Definately something that would show up in a workbook where you would have to produce the opposite from the original or vice-versa. So the majority of the time youll use iz, but those are the basic rules for motion verbs. When you want to learn all that other stuff it will complicate it a little more, but is definately useful.

Завсегдатай
    well it looks like its the same 'rule' then.

в to a place where u can actually go INTO

на on a more obscure place.

я иду на работу потом с роботы домой.

What is the work? we don't know. just a place to labour, maybe an office, maybe construction...

Now if its like, you in a Стройбат. Then we know wher the work is and u can use в \ из
    . Я иду в стройбат чтоб работать, потом я выиду из стройбата.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    well, how about saying to the factory then? na zavod? c zavoda. Actual place you can go into

Завсегдатай
    yea, there are some exeptions, Balcony even... на балкон, с балкона. But for the most part... it seems to follow the pattern...

Its like when english uses 'some' instead of 'the' for uncountable things.

С берега, с отмели, с неба, с войны, с вечеринки, c края, свидания, работы, урока, пляжа, встречи, на breakfast lunch dinner ... etc.

I guess there are times when you'd think it needs на... like maybe В атаку. But maybe the attack was taking place on a certain thing, so you know the boarders. Another one is вокзал. Its на вокзал isn't it? I mean obviously people know when a train station starts and ends... but I think it's a good way to get a feel for when to use на\с. If you have a better idea plz share.

Почтенный гражданин
    Well, the v-iz, na-c. k-ot for motion verbs is a proper model with few, dont think any exceptions that i am aware of. Thats why its taught that way in text books.

Getting a feel on when to use v or na with certain words beyond memorization is a whole different thing. Once you know what the other takes, its pretty simple to know whether it uses iz or c.

Using na for words like bereg, or plyazh is like in english when we say on the banks, or at the beach instead in the bank, in the beach. Would sound like crap

Увлечённый спикер
    Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Another one is вокзал. Its на вокзал isn't it? I mean obviously people know when a train station starts and ends... but I think it's a good way to get a feel for when to use на\с. If you have a better idea plz share.
    I have no ideas , but thouse things are not so obvious. "На вокзал" (general meaning of place - to train station), "в вокзал" (into the buildig of that station). Use "airport" instead of "train station" and check your logic again - it does not work.

The same trick is "for geography" - "To travel to" - "В Крым" (To Crimea), "В Индию" (To India), "В США" (To the USA), but - "На Украину" (To Ukraine), "На Кавказ" (To Caucasus), "На Багамы" (To Bahamas).

I don't know any common logic for prepositions. Russian language is less perfect than English.
    The way to the way thru

Завсегдатай
    So Кавказ is the caucuses? YAY i finally know/

Старший оракул
    C means also kind of the same as off of...

Я упала с лестницы- I fell down the stairs
    Ты упала с балкона- You fell from the balcony
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Завсегдатай
    Roger that

There's another thread here somewhere about using на or в.

Things are not as clear as dogboy would like them to be. Just look at на завод, на почту for examples of two things you can actually walk in to.

It is not productive to ask single-answer questions without first trying yourself to learn. Recall the saying about the difference between giving a fish and teaching how to fish.

Knave, here's a book that will explain absolutely everything you ever wanted to know about motion verbs and more. Despite the Russian title it's in Engish, with tons of exercises. And cheap, about 3 bux in Moscow. about 200 pp., "designed for English-speaking students who have worked through an elementary course of Russian...."

Л.С. Муравьёва, Глаголы движения в русском языке. 8-ое изд. [ !! ], изд-во «Русский язык», Москва, 2001г.

You can prob. order from ozon.ru if not amazon.

I'll say it's hot today.

dogboy182:

I think there was some mixup back up a few posts. You said

>из is when u phsycially come out of a place, like, a building, your mom, chechnya, the town square, a box.

You posted very absolute statements, and you didn't say "for example" or "usually." That's why I said the explanation is more complicated than what you had written. About your above quote, you don't say из площади but с площади.

[Withdrawn]

Завсегдатай
    I said at least 2 times that there are exceptions. I'm not writing a freaking highschool thesus so why should i have to write "for example" this or "furthermore" that. It's an internet forum for allah's sake and i can't really care less what people on the internet think about me so take it or leave it.

I just thought that maybe having some structure was better than telling someone "WELL ITS HARD TO TELL YOU JUST NEED PRACTICE THAT'S ALL"

As for my grammar. Maybe I'm just a lazy typer? Did that ever cross your mind? Again IDGF what people on the internet think, or don't think of my ability to press keys.

Завсегдатай
    You should see how I type when I talk to Dogboy online.

Старший оракул
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12