View Poll Results: What is the BEST Russian movie?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Собачье Сердце

6 14.63%
  • Кин-Дза-Дза

4 9.76%
  • Москва Слезам не Верит

4 9.76%
  • Формула Любвы

0 0%
  • Операция Ы

1 2.44%
  • Служебный Роман

3 7.32%
  • Обыкновенное Чудо

1 2.44%
  • Бриллиантовая Рука

4 9.76%
  • Ирония Судьбы

1 2.44%
  • Кавказкая Пленница

2 4.88%
  • Самая Обаятельная и Привлекательная

1 2.44%
  • Джентельмены Удачи

2 4.88%
  • Иван Васильевич Меняет Профессию

3 7.32%
  • 17 Мгонвенний Весны

1 2.44%
  • Война и Мир

0 0%
  • Здравствуйте, Я ваше Тётя!

0 0%
  • Девчата

1 2.44%
  • А здесь Зоры Тихие

1 2.44%
  • Любовь и Голубы

0 0%
  • 12 Стульев

6 14.63%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Russian film you have EVER seen?

Завсегдатай

Re: What is the best Russian film you have EVER seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Wowik - Yes, you are right!
    Moreover do not forget about Erotica!
    This film has some scenes (Bath, Swimming in the lake) were considered as rather erotic for the Soviet movie of 1970-th

Уж не знаю, надо ли давать ли ссылку на фрагмент в бане?
    http://rutube.ru/tracks/375992.html?con ... 1fc6e8f48e

Hanna

A minor correction...
    Moreover (it's ok, but I think it's better to say "Furthermore" or "Additionally") do not forget about Erotica!

This film has some scenes (Bathing, Swimming in the lake) were considered [s:aefrhwqa]as[/s:aefrhwqa] (not needed) rather erotic for [s:aefrhwqa]the[/s:aefrhwqa] a Soviet movie of the 1970-th (just write "1970s" instead)
    You probably know this already, but "bathing" usually means that you are cleaning yourself at the same time.
    Whereas "swimming" is used if you are taking a dip in the lake or playing around in the water...

Actually there is nothing seriously wrong with what you wrote at all, I just thought it could be made to sound more native, more perfect...

And yes - you are right about that too! There was at least one unmistakable nude scene, perhaps two....

The verdict is clear: This film has a little bit of everything!

Почтенный гражданин

Yeah, I love "А зори здесь тихие"/"The Dawns Here Are Quiet". It's a huge favoutite with many people. It was a little difficult to watch at first because of a slight accent - "оканье". For example, they say "хорошо" instead of "харашо" and so on. It sounds funny and sort of hampers taking the film seriously. But after watching it a few times I actually started to pronounce [o] instead of [a] myself.
    I read the book prior to watching the film and it seemed a bit better than the adaptation, so it took me some time to get used to the film and really fall in love with it. I especially like the music, sometimes it's very tender, sometimes lyrical, tragic... It makes my heart ache.

A link to an article about the film - http://www.nashfilm.ru/sovietkino/7.html

I've seen an interview with Elena Drapeko a few weeks ago where she explained her character Lisa Brichkina. She said that because Lisa was a daughter of a gamekeeper and had lived all her life in a forest hut before enlisting in the army, she was basically a forest girl who believed in all sorts of forest spirits, in leshy, etc. That's why she got scared of the marsh bubble, even though Vaskov explained earlier that it's just marsh gas...

"А зори здесь тихие" is also very popular in China, a Chinese director even made a remake of it with Russian actors. I haven't seen it, though.

Согласно результатам опросов, один из любимейших советских фильмов у телезрителей.
    Фильм стал классикой советского кинематографа, одной из самых любимых народных лент, посвящённых теме войны. Картина стала одним из лидеров проката 1973 года — её посмотрело около 66 млн человек. В 2002 году во время опроса (социологическая компания «Башкиров и партнёры») она была признана самой популярной картиной о Великой отечественной войне.[5][7]

В советское время фильм входил в число рекомендованных к просмотру в рамках школьной программы. Входит в образовательную программу российских ВУЗов по специальности «журналистика».[8][9]

«А зори здесь тихие…» наряду с фильмом «Как закалялась сталь» — один из самых популярных советских фильмов в Китае. Его высоко ценил Дэн Сяопин.[5] В ознаменование 60-летия Победы в 2005 году по повести Бориса Васильева Центральным телевидением Китая (CCTV) совместно с российскими кинематографистами снят римейк — телевизионный сериал «А зори здесь тихие» (19 серий).
    I've also read some strange reviews which claim that the film was originally all shown in colour.

Boris Vasilyev is a genius. I also love his other books -- "В списках не значился"/"He Was Not Listed" (about WWII) and "Не стреляйте в белых лебедей". I've recently learned that he also wrote the script for the films "Офицеры"/"Officers". Now I've talked myself into reading some of his other books. Maybe "Завтра была война"...
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    По-немецки это пишется Schtschi - Штши.
    Borschtsch - Борштш.
    Ужа-а-а-а-с (летящий на крыльях ночи). Да хто же это будет есть что-либо с таким названием?
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    Да хто же это будет есть что-либо с таким названием?
    А с таким содержимым?
    http://www.berlin.de/special/gesundheit ... 2b7d7.html

Подающий надежды оратор

I HAVE SEEN АНДРЕЙ РУБЛЕВ , ОСТРОВ WHICH IS MY FAVORITE AND I ALSO LIKE THE BARBER OF SIBERIA WHICH IS A VERY NICE RUSSIAN STORY!!
    THATS BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by katerinaG
    I HAVE SEEN АНДРЕЙ РУБЛЕВ , ОСТРОВ WHICH IS MY FAVORITE AND I ALSO LIKE THE BARBER OF SIBERIA WHICH IS A VERY NICE RUSSIAN STORY!!
    THATS BETTER.
    Понятно, только не кричи, пожалуйста.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by katerinaG
    THATS BETTER.
    Понятно, только не кричи, пожалуйста.
    1: GREETINGS EVERYONE
    2: Press the Caps lock key
    1: WOW,THANKS, THIS IS MUCH EASIER!!!!!!!
    2:
    Send me a PM if you need me.

White Sun of the Desert...

Подающий надежды оратор

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by jjjiimm
    I don't understand what's so great about this film....? Can somebody explain...?

---------------------------------------------------

Another thing: Someone wrote:
    How did it come to pass that you have never seen this movie?
    Ok, this is not technically wrong, but just be aware of something: "Come to pass" is Biblical langauge... It means "happened" or something like that. It should only be used in very serious types of texts, or as an ironic joke/parody. Basically it is very "advanced" English. Personally I don't use it.... It comes from:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bible, Christmas Evangelium -
    And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.... In Russian, apparently...

"В те дни вышло от кесаря Августа повеление сделать перепись по всей земле."

(not sure if this sounds "old-fashioned" or not.... ? The site I got it from says that it's from 1805.)

It wouldn't surprise me if Shakespeare used this expression too, but I haven't read a lot of Shakespeare, so I don't know...

I don't understand what's so great about this film....? Can somebody explain...?
    I can write a novel to explain why this film is one of the best movies ever but I wouldn't. It's already done by far more smart people than me. BTW do you know about the tradition that EVERY International Space Station pilot MUST watch this movie before the flight?
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    I can write a novel to explain why this film is one of the best movies ever but I wouldn't. It's already done by far more smart people than me. BTW do you know about the tradition that EVERY International Space Station pilot MUST watch this movie before the flight?
    No, I didn't know that... But everything about the Russian space program interests me, so that was interesting to hear.

Well, maybe it's a blokes' film...

I have seen it a few times, although it was a long time ago. The TV presenter would introduce it as "a great Russian favourite" or something like that.. So you'd expect something wonderful.. But to me, it seemed like a film about a man/soldier who wanted to get home to his girlfriend but got caught up in a quarrel/shooting with some gangsters in the desert...

None of the women in the film have interesting personalities... The main character (forgotten the name) is quite attractive with his passion for the revolution and his handsome "rugged soldier" look... but that's the only interesting thing about it, I think.

I am sure I am missing something though - maybe the (Russian) language is great, or that it ties onto historical events that people find interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    No, I didn't know that... But everything about the Russian space program interests me, so that was interesting to hear.

Well, maybe it's a blokes' film...
    Johanna... we talk about this movie on the BIG movie thread. It was actually first recommended by Lampada . For some reason, I did not write a LONG review of it; but, I did enjoy the film.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjiimm
    It's a boyish kind of thing. You wouldn't understand. Comrade Sukhov was a hero in our eyes. A true hero of the Civil War...

Почтенный гражданин

And once again we see the trend -- boys mostly vote for films where men are main characters -- "The White Sun" and "The Dog's Heart", while I voted for "Office Romance" and Johanna for "The Dawns Here Are Quiet."

"The White Sun of the Desert", as I understand it, is so loved because it shows a truly heroic man who accepts all hardships and eventual death without batting an eyelid. He just knows that it's his duty and doesn't whine. Yet for all his heroism, he's a very simple kind of guy. I suppose "The Gladiator" with Russell Crow is 'somewhat' similar. Maximus is the same man-of-few-words type of character. I remember I was totally staggered by that movie at the age of 17. Walked out of the theatre like some sort of sleep-walker, then watched it at home on a video and cried all day long, I felt so sorry for him. Catharsis. And I remember feeling the same about "The White Sun" -- intensely sorry for the protagonist.

Hanna

Thanks everyone for attempting to explain "White Sun of the Desert" to me..

It seems I need to watch it again, as an adult, and as a person who has interest in Russia (which I didn't the previous times I watched it.. ).

I had completely forgotten that he died in the end...
    I am putting it on my "to watch" list!

I had completely forgotten that he died in the end...
    Who died ?!! At least not the main character.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Sukhov lives! He did not die in the movie. Everyone else did though, good or bad except Saeed. )))

Почтенный гражданин

Oh, yes! Sukhov lives, another character dies, Vereshagin, was it? I saw it such a long time ago that I remembered only that somebody did die, but forgot that it wasn't the main charcter.

Here he is, Pavel Luspekaev

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast