Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: NonRussian films (work in progress)

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in he

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    starrysky!!! you made my day.... 105 degree heat here and my migraines are killing me and you have just made me feel soooo much better... thank you!
    I always overdo things... Can't do anything about it.
    So sorry about your migraines, rockzmom... I know what it's like. It's not your usual headache. I used to have them as a teen. It's been years since I've had a migraine though. *touch wood*

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    А я послей вот этой старой пародии индийские фильмы смотреть вообще не могу - после нескольких минут просмотра пробивает на ха-ха. Правда, последним индийским фильмом, который я посмотрел от начала и до конца, был "Танцор диско" и смотрел я его, как сейчас помню, в совковом сельском клубе в Рязанской области году так эдак в 88.
    Забавная пародия. Я старых индийских фильмов немного видела, но они действительно были ужасненькие и удручают этими клише. В современных фильмах такого практически нет. Там даже женщин в сари уже редко увидишь.

P.S. Я все-таки "Меня зовут Кхан" всем советую. Вроде отзывы хорошие и не только от индоманов. http://my-hit.ru/film/6980 Хоть и не без недостатков фильм...

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Starrysky, dear! Maybe we want to open a separate topic for foreigh movies?
    +10000
    Или может быть лучше открыть свою тему про индийские фильмы.
    Yeah, that's a good idea... Never thought about it! Those posts could be moved into a separate foreign movies thread or something. I mean, I also like Chinese films. *be prepared * Has anyone seen "House of Flying Daggers" and "Hero"? The most beautiful movies I've ever seen... The thing is, I sort of said everything I wanted to say at the moment, and Masterrusian is not a movie forum...
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

I did not know where to put, and so I put Александр Петров 1, Александр Петров 2, Русалка, etc in Русские мультики на ютюбе.

These and the other things I've been watching are really анимация, not мультики. But I did not know where to put.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    I mean, I also like Chinese films. *be prepared * Has anyone seen "House of Flying Daggers" and "Hero"? The most beautiful movies I've ever seen... The thing is, I sort of said everything I wanted to say at the moment, and Masterrusian is not a movie forum...
    I must admit, that I do not like Indian or Chinese movies too much. All this singing, dancing and flying put me off since I was a kid. ))) But these two films you mentioned I did watch!
    "House of Flying Daggers" was visually stunning, and I enjoyed watching it (even more so because it was filmed in Ukraine), but it was a one-time film for me. The plot was almost non-existent, and I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
    "Hero" on the other hand is one of the best movies in this genre in my opinion!!! Great idea, decent acting, amazing visual sequences - it's beautiful all around. I watched it more than once, and I made my friends watch it. That counts for something. )))

Почтенный гражданин

"House of Flying Daggers" was visually stunning, and I enjoyed watching it (even more so because it was filmed in Ukraine)
    I was really surprised to see a birch tree forest in it, and the snow, it felt so familiar at once (сразу показалось что-то родное ). And then I read in wiki that it was actually filmed in Ukraine! Yay! I knew it! Родина-мать. Хоть я и не с Украины, но я тут различий не делаю. Все равно сразу видны родные пейзажи.

Regarding the script, I guess I'm a very visual sort of person, so I was so transfixed by the sheer beauty of it -- I didn't care so much about script inconsistencies, if there were some. Plus, it's so tragic in the end -- whenever I re-watch it, I feel this huge lump in my throat or just start crying... I'm rather emotional, yeah. Though I always thought that I'm a very reserved and calm sort of person. But I think Zhang Ziyi played it beautifully, she's an amazing actress, like her a lot... And then, there's this haunting music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcXCq...eature=related It pretty much kills me, this music!

another version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvcRQ...eature=related

found it. It's called "Lovers" and it's sung by kathleen Battle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRWo8...eature=related

"The Hero" is just another story altogether. Also fantastically beautiful AND intelligent. I don't compare these two movies in terms of which one is better because their subject matter is totally different. HFL is about love... And Hero is about, well, heroism!

I must admit, that I do not like Indian or Chinese movies too much. All this singing, dancing and flying put me off since I was a kid.
    Hmmm... To me, music and dancing are just narrative conventions to which I got used and totally embraced... It wasn't that easy but in the end it really depends on the movie. Sometimes the music and dancing are great and fit very well into the story, sometimes not. For me, they are still much easier to accept than, for example, such ways of storytelling as ballet and opera. I probably just had unfortunate experiences with those but a) I don't like operatic voices, too powerful b) can never understand what they're singing and the whole story is sining c) it's really hard to get into the story when Tatyana and Onegin are both over 40 years old and weigh over 100 kg!

Soviet films also have a lot of singing, like "Twelve chairs" or "Diamond Arm". Of course, we can actually understand those songs since they're in Russian. With Hindi movies, you lose a lot if you don't have subtitles for the song -- it may seem a bit boring because you don't understand the words but important stuff about characters is often revealed in songs.

Singing in old Hindi movies is indeed not great... But when it comes to modern movies, music is sometimes the best part of a movie! For me it's become a huge bonus! Great songs can't save the movie if it's bad but still they're something to look forward to. There was one film I saw recently, and the only thing I really liked about it was this one song --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIXz1...eature=related

I also adore this one, from Main Hoon Na, it always lifts me mood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy4Pz...eature=related

Another song which I like though I haven't actually seen the movie itself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmGS4I0XNj4

Fave dancing song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvgTM6gF6LM

And fave sad one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oAAVWeIAF4

Just fun songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uPNwg4F9NU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVrIq6aaB8
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Lampada has referenced VelikayaRus's Channel (Youtube) in thread Кинофильм "Вокзал для двоих" before. But it is worth including again here, because VelikayaRus really has a very large collection of high quality movies/playlists, and other things.

VelikayaRus

Hanna

[s:byr6vq4r]Yeah I think this thread has become a monster. It's impossible to read the whole thread. It was entertaining at first, but now it's gone to far.[/s:byr6vq4r]
    (Edit: noticed that Rockzmom is changing the thread)

I think it would be better to have a thread for Asian (or Bollywood) films.

Shortly after I joined the forum, I started a separate thread about Russian kino films ONLY, because I wanted there to be something that was only about Russian films, no deviation into Hollywood films etc. I have made a few posts to that since..

I wouldn't mind it if there was a separate thread for Russian animated films and maybe childrens films/series. Childrens material is good for learners because of simpler vocabulary.

And why not one about TV series and entertainment programs from Russian TV?

Ane maybe one about the latest from Hollywood, and/or European films?

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    My name is Khan...
    Ok, you have convinced me, at least! Next time I need some escape from my boring life in London, I will watch this film for sure!

I like Indian music, but the films (at least as they used to be) are just too sugary and formulaic.... (perhaps not surprising, since I am a person who likes sci-fi films...) But right now I am trying to watch Russian films when I have a second; I just wish that more of the series/films I want to see had subtitles.

PS - STARRYSKY, someone made a doll 4u!!

Re: NonRussian films (work in progress)

Has anyone seen Inception? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/

If so, what are your thoughts about it?

Also, did you recognize the character Arthur (the Point Man) as being the same guy... just all grown up now from when he was Tommy on 3rd Rock From the Sun?

I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Okay, for all you Twilight haters (and if you can take some good jokes, Twilight lovers) this movie seems to be too funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZXPly6DDoM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojO2TjA71Ws
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna

I just read that the film "Salt" is the most downloaded film on bittorrent right now.... Has anyone seen it in the cinema or elsewhere?

I haven't seen it and right now I do not plan to... The plot is too silly..... Something about a woman (Angelina Jolie) who is a RUSSIAN SPY (in America)..... The plot is related to some kind of terrorist attack.

If I was a Russian film director I'd make a kick-ass action move about Russian heroes saving the world from evil plotting CIA agents....

(Frankly that whole genre was ridiculous even when the cold war was still on and it's even more silly now!)

Nevertheless, since this is a forum about Russian and Russian language; has anyone seen this and is it as silly as it seems?

Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM9_l...eature=related

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
    I haven't seen it and right now I do not plan to... The plot is too silly..... Something about a woman (Angelina Jolie) who is a RUSSIAN SPY (in America)..... The plot is related to some kind of terrorist attack.
    I have not seen it either, but most people mention that anything Russian-related is shown with a high level of absurdity there (very stereotyped).

In a thread discussing this film someone posted a link to this parody to Holliwood view of Russia:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUbC6xAOgHM

Hanna

In a thread discussing this film someone posted a link to this parody to Holliwood view of Russia:
    Very funny + true!!! Thanks!

I'd be furious if my nationality got portrayed in that way!

American and British teenagers may never have never met a Russian person... But they've seen about a 20 films or more of that type. So they'll get a seriously biased view... based on total nonsense! It's a bit disturbing.

Новичок

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
    Very funny + true!!! Thanks!
    Nice very nice can do nice and I wanna fly away to Mars.

Against humor no exist weapons.
    Against pinch-bar no exist adequate answer. Russian folk joke.

Hanna

Not to mention that lots of people believe that the "Borat" character actually IS from Kazakhstan, and that the film was made there....

(Just because Sasha Barron-Cohen can't be fussed to actually open an atlas or an encycplaedia when selecting a setting for his films.)

The film was apparently made in a gypsy village in Romania, and anyone can see that "Borat" doesn't look Central Asian at all.

I started watching the film where Borat went to the US, but it was so terrible that I couldn't bring myself to continue watching.

PS - I think that ParsleyIsle above needs help with the translation of the Russian proverb....

Почётный участник

"Borat" is so stupid that it's sometimes funny.

The proverb is "против лома нет приёма", I believe. It means that:

either "There are no counter-arguments against brute force"
    or "some complicated problems may be solved with a very direct and simple, rough method".

Новичок

PS - I think that ParsleyIsle above needs help with the translation of the Russian proverb....
    Nice very nice can do nice...
    That terrible phrase I'm fished up from Spanish parapentos/paragliderman - Rodríguez. It's how I'm realized to myself is pretty quaint phrase.

Против лома нет приема!
    Power and might always make right. (From WWW http://interpereter.wordpress.com/2006/09/21/sayings/)

But seems like off-topic.

"Borat" it is discovery for me.
    Thanks for respond...

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka View Post
    I have not seen it either, but most people mention that anything Russian-related is shown with a high level of absurdity there (very stereotyped).

YouTube - Улицы разбитых фонарей в Голливуде
    Okay, so I haven't seen SALT yet either and I wasn't planning on it... maybe I should though.

This whole "Hollywood" image of Russia and Russians goes back to why I joined this forum... I want Dmitri to be REAL not some joke of a Russian. My girls and I have learned soooooooo much already that their views have been irrefutably altered. No matter what they will be taught in school or see in films now, they will always question it. They have "met" all of you and know you. You are like their own Russian family. You each have a personality and view points that have helped them (and me) obtain a better understanding of what things are like and view points that they would never have been able to otherwise get. Oh my... look at me getting all mushy and philosophical here at the same time!

I struggled with where to post this one.. Practice English (British), Literature, Missing Olya, a new thread, or here under nonRussian Films... sigh...

I watched a "brilliant" BBC production of Christopher Reid's narrative poem, The Song of Lunch. The story tells about a book editor who after 15 years meets his former love for a nostalgic lunch in a SoHo Italian restaurant. Starring Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson.

The poem is very descriptive and Rickman does an amazing job of bringing it to life. It is about 50 minutes and is posted on YouTube.

The start of the poem....
    He leaves a message, a yellow sticky,
    on the dead black
    of his computer screen:
    gone to lunch. i may be some time.
    His colleagues won’t be seeing him
    for the rest of the afternoon.
    Rare joy of truancy, of bold escape
    from the trap of work!
    That heap of typescript can be left to dwell
    on its thousand offences
    against grammar and good sense;
    his trusty blue pen
    can snooze with its cap on;
    nobody will notice.
    He shuts the door on the sleeping dog
    of his own departure,
    hurries not too fast along the corridor,
    taps the lift button, and waits.
    To meet even one person
    at this delicate juncture
    would sully the whole enterprise.
    But he’s in luck:
    the lift yawns emptily,
    he steps in, is enclosed
    and carried downwards
    to sunlight and London’s
    approximation of fresh air.
    With one bound he is free!

Подающий надежды оратор oneplus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom View Post

Also, anyone one else who might have seen the American and Russian versions? I am interested in learning your thoughts on these two films as I don’t know how many films are out there that fit this category (American and Russian versions of same film).
    My choise is "12 Angry Men"

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom View Post
    Question.... Are there IMAX movie theaters in Russia (or wherever you happen to live) and if so how many of them are there? What about regular 3D movie theaters? I am asking because overall I think there are only about 400 IMAX total in the world; however, near me because of being close to Washington/Baltimore, there are seven of them.
    IMAX goes to Siberia. The first IMAX in Novosibirsk is announced to be opened next weekend. Tickets are available for booking. The first movie to be shown will be animation "Megamind".
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

A great two movies I've just watched:

Send me a PM if you need me.

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast