Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: NonRussian films (work in progress)

Hanna

Re: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

The film seems pretty charming and a bit of a bit of a "time machine trip" back in time... Did you happen to notice if there were any subtitles?
    I think I will look for it and add it to my growing collection of Russian films on my hard drive. Bittorrent is a great thing....

I don't know if I'm imagining, but in the older films the actors seem to speak both slower and more clearly. They are even using simpler words. Strange, but that's how it seems to me!

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    I loved "Колдовская любовь". viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16126
    I haven't watched the second season of it yet. I'll try to find it on-line.
    The plot is about witchcraft in a rural village in Russia, during more or less present time, i.e. 2008.

I really like the series. Good plot, and it's unbelievable how much Russia has in common with Scandinavia in terms of nature, building styles and some traditions. I have to admit that the village from the series looks very old-fashioned to me though. I wonder what it's like in the winter when it gets cold.

Sadly, I can only understand about 25% of what is said. So I don't know what's happening! I don't understand what the mysterious doll was from the first episode, or what the villagers said about the milk that had turned black. I couldn't understand why Zhenia's mother was ill (there was definitely something mysterious about her illness).

EDIT - I noticed an English mistake! Lamps, you wrote: Merry Christmas (to those who celebrates it)! There should not be an "s" on celebrate. I think it's because "those" = "they" = plural = no "s".....

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    I don't know if I'm imagining, but in the older films the actors seem to speak both slower and more clearly.
    I agree.They really cared about enunciation during Soviet times.
    Did you happen to notice if there were any subtitles?
    Only in Russian:
    http://subtitry.ru/subtitles/294275252/

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    hehehe...as it is Christmas Eve here in the States... take a break from the traditional "It's A Wonderful Life" and enjoy "The Worst Noel" with Al Bundy and his family! http://www.megavideo.com/?v=928VTNYX

Here is the script if you need it or want it: http://www.albundy.net/marriedaniac/...ipt/0813t.html
    “Where have I heard that voice?” was the question I couldn’t answer for a while after hearing the lady utter a few words. I’m not familiar with the characters, don’t know her name yet but I knew at once that I heard the voice somewhere. But then it struck me, Turanga Leela from Futurama, that’s where, right? It can’t be otherwise, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    hehehe...as it is Christmas Eve here in the States... take a break from the traditional "It's A Wonderful Life" and enjoy "The Worst Noel" with Al Bundy and his family! http://www.megavideo.com/?v=928VTNYX

Here is the script if you need it or want it: http://www.albundy.net/marriedaniac/...ipt/0813t.html
    “Where have I heard that voice?” was the question I couldn’t answer for a while after hearing the lady utter a few words. I’m not familiar with the characters, don’t know her name yet but I knew at once that I heard the voice somewhere. But then it struck me, Turanga Leela from Futurama, that’s where, right? It can’t be otherwise, I know.
    You have an great ear there Alex! Yes, that is Katey Sagal and she has been in a ton of stuff http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005408/

And her father, Boris Sagal http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0755963/ , was a Director and Producer and was born in Dnepropetrovsk, Russia (now Ukraine).
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    2.THE DANCE
    Upon seeing "Pulp Fiction" I was sure for a long time that Tarantino "borrowed" the dance that V.Vega and Mia performed from that movie!! It's an scene when Zbruev buggs a haughty conductor until she agrees to teach him how to dance.

Now I see that their dances differ more than I thought, but some funny moments are the same. Like when they take off their shoes for some reason, and make weird hand moves.
    Every time when I saw the Pulp Fiction's dance I did always had a feeling like I should know very well where this dance came from. But I always confessed that this dance was performed in such a cute and fantastic way that it catches a viewer from the very first frame and this gives the viewer such a feeling. But today gRomoZeka has dug the real origin out why we do think that this dance looks really familiar to us.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    Note to anyone who might want to make subtitles... please include these little types of details!
    I[s:1d2rbbej]'m[/s:1d2rbbej] agree with birubirFilms that it's not important.
    Oh studyr... you are so wrong on this one and here is why...

In this film, the director not only shows these "clues" or little details of information just in passing by, noooooo, he then pushes the camera in on them and holds the frame. He WANTS to make certain the viewer has time to read the information, the office name, the book title, the posters, banners and so on. If it were not important, he would have done as he did with the magazine later on and just not show the cover and only show the character reading it or holding it.

So, if it was that important that the director has gone to such length, it is important that the information be translated into English or whatever language the subtitles are. The viewer NEEDS this information or at least should be able to have it just as the director wanted it.

When a film is edited, it has to flow and as this was for TV it had to be a certain length too. Imagine how much time could have been saved or how the movie could have been without the close-ups, and yet... the director still kept those scenes... they were important to him for some reason. He fought to have them left in and so, when doing subtitles, that same care should be taken to honor that and make the nonRussian viewer have as much as possible the same feel and experience as a Russian viewer.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

In this film, the director not only shows these "clues" or little details of information just in passing by, noooooo, he then pushes the camera in on them and holds the frame. He WANTS to make certain the viewer has time to read the information, the office name, the book title, the posters, banners and so on. If it were not important, he would have done as he did with the magazine later on and just not show the cover and only show the character reading it or holding it.

Sharapov just intended to refresh his knowledge of criminalistics. What an important information can be produced out of it?

The Solomons experience their first Christmas. Merry Watching!
    part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsNNcCpUws
    part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CgHUO8ANk4
    part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ffLNyBJ2W0
    Recently, I watched "500 days of summer". It's funny to see little Tommy again.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    Sharapov just intended to refresh his knowledge of criminalistics. What an important information can be produced out of it?
    The title of the book cannot be unimportant, if it was demonstrated to us in such a purposeful manner.

The possible implications are:
    a) He tries to educate himself
    b) He relies on book knowledge more than Zeglov, who relies on his experience and street smarts.
    So it's probably one more detail that emphasizes the contrast between two main characters. Their difference is a significant part of the series, if I remember correctly.

This morning, one of the TV folks used the quote "Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch" and then he said, "I bet most of you don't even remember that one." I realized he was right and asked my family and none of them knew the phrase.

It is funny because all you have to do is type "slowly i t" in Google and it comes up!

Here are 3 versions

Three Stooges
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJBhzMWJCc

Abbott & Costello
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr6VBg1SiYI

I Love Lucy starts at 2:20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIhptklh53U

The girls are watching Looney Tunes, I think Pepé Le Pew, and I hear the line, "You do know how to whistle don't you?"

Of course they have NO CLUE where that comes from... one of the best scenes in all movie history....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gFpoXYAm0o

Завсегдатай

[not a real review, but my impressions. And I'd like to hear what you think about this movie and series in general]

I've just watched "Terminator Salvation", and I liked it. Liked it a lot. First I was completely unspoiled, because I even didn't know they released it yet (yes, someone needs to bring me up to date), and it was a very pleasant surprise to see Christian Bale as John Connor. He's a great actor, and he alone makes half the film. Second, I could care less about seing more Terminators or Schwarzenegger or whatever, and had no expectations about the plot. I guess it helped, because (and I'm repeating myself) I liked that movie a lot. The casting and the romatic line were probably made with female audience in mind, and it worked for me. Not sure about you, guys. I've heard, T4 was not received well. ))))

But really.. Handsome taciturn guys in artfully shredded clunky uniforms, gritty postapocalyptic atmosphere, road chases (hello, Mad Max), fights and resistance that actually looked like resistance (unlike sad longfaced mutants in "Equilibrium")- what not to like? It reminded me popular action movies from my childhood ("Cyborg", anyone?). Even an obligatory "cute kid" was not annoying, and supporting cast was not bad either. The young guy who played Connor's father shined in the "Hearts in Atlantis", and it was nice to see him again (did you know that he's Russian and was born in St.Pete?).

The only thing that could be better is the ending. I'm not talking about ressurecting a certain character or changing it altogether, but it could have been played better. The transplantation in the middle of the desert without even bothering about blood types and such was the most unrealistic part of the movie. What's even worse it felt rushed, we were not given even a couple of minutes to contemplate what had happened. Other than that - a great movie in it's genre.

Did you like it?

PS.

Hanna

No, I haven't watched this Terminator film and I am not sure I even watched the originals. Well maybe one of them, the one where Sarah Connor got locked into a mental hospital. Hasta la vista baby!

Haven't seen the Cyborg film from 1989 either!

But I did watch the recent series "Terminator, Sarah Connor Chronicles". It was good because it was partly from the point of view of Sarah and a female terminator who was "good". But the series got cancelled after only one or two seasons. This seems to happen to all TV series that I like. I wish they go back to making series that run for 10 years... Or why not 20 years like English "Coronation Street" and "East Enders". Unfortunately those are very boring though.

And have of course seen Cheburashka. Apart from the Russian original, there was also a spin-off series that ran for a decade, at least, which was actually produced in Sweden. A sort of a "chat show"/"documentary" for kids, hosted by Gena and Cheburashska. Cult.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    No, I haven't watched this Terminator film and I am not sure I even watched the originals. Well maybe one of them, the one where Sarah Connor got locked into a mental hospital. Hasta la vista baby!

Haven't seen the Cyborg film from 1989 either!
    It's from 1984. I'm not a huge fan of the 'Terminator' franchise, but this film (Terminator 1) holds special significance for me. It was the first 'real' American movie I have ever seen. By 'real' I mean a contemporary and unapproved by censors movie, that people watched on VHS (they were called "видеофильмы", or "видики"). The movie itself was so different from anything that was showed in Soviet theatres, that we were overwhelmed, and for the first 20 or so minutes we were just gaping (and thought that Terminator and the guy, who came to save Sarah are the same person, only in different clothes)
    Also by pure coincidence in a few scenes, when an answering machine was used, they showed an iguana, and I thought for some time that it was a talking iguana who had been trained to receive calls... I was like "Mom, do they realy have lizards like that in America, or it's just a sci-fi?" Seems like a different world now.
    But the series got cancelled after only one or two seasons. This seems to happen to all TV series that I like. I wish they go back to making series that run for 10 years...
    Oh, it's a pity. ( That happened to me too. I liked a TV show about a talking toddler, and it got cancelled after 13 episodes. To add insult to injury, every person, with whom I tried to share my grief, laughed at me. Yeah, it was about a talking toddler, so what? It was good.
    And have of course seen Cheburashka. Apart from the Russian original, there was also a spin-off series that ran for a decade, at least, which was actually produced in Sweden. A sort of a "chat show"/"documentary" for kids, hosted by Gena and Cheburashska. Cult.
    That's the most cool and strange thing I've heard about Sweden yet! Did they look exactly like cartoon Gena and Cheburashka?

thought that Terminator and the guy, who came to save Sarah are the same person, only in different clothes
    No wonder considering the quality of the pirated recordings of that time. (Usually such tapes were dubbed from a copy from a copy from a copy ... and the end result was an assortment of multicolored stripes with some vague picture behind them).
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Okay everyone! A PM came my way about a Russian Film and English subtitles for it...does anyone have the answer? Has anyone seen this movie?

I'm looking for the English subtitles of a movie, called Musulmanin or Мусульманин (1995), directed by Vladimir Khotinenko. I searched the databases of most of the subtitle websites, including the ones in your posts. But I couldn't find it, even the DVD comes without English subtitles.

Do you know if there's English subtitles for this movie? Or do you know someone from this forum, who can help me to find the subtitles?..
    Also, if you have seen the movie I'd like to hear some comments about it...(not spoilers )
    I found the IMDb page for the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113878/

Hanna

Actually most Russian films don't seem to have subtitles.

Additionally, when you search for the subs there are lots of different possibilities for how the Russian title is translated or transliterated into a European langauge or a Latin letters.

Quite often it is not transliterated in the English way but in some other way. For some films there are different English titles.

The main subtitle sites online are allsubs.com subsearch.org subscene.com and opensubtitles.org.

If he speaks any other European languages it might be possible to find subs in alternative languages but not in English. He can also check if there are Russian subtitles - it might be easiser to follow if he sees the word written down.

If he can't find it there with any of the possible spellings, then it probably doesn't exist.

Hanna

That's the most cool and strange thing I've heard about Sweden yet! Did they look exactly like cartoon Gena and Cheburashka?
    Yeah, I think so.. Part of the "story" for the show was that the puppets had travelled from Moscow to Sweden (train, ferry etc). It was explained that they had previously lived in Russia and had all the adventures shown in the Russian cartoon. They also returned to Russia a few times to do "news stories" about kindergartens, playgrounds, fun fairs etc.

I think this show became so loved by children because of the great interaction between the dolls (Cheburashka was small and VERY stupid, Gena big and very kind & patient.) It looked like this:

Based on what I remember seeing back then, the USSR was probably not a bad place to grow up in at all - it certainly looked great in this show at any rate. So many impressive special facilities for children!

Почтенный гражданин

Okay everyone! A PM came my way about a Russian Film and English subtitles for it...does anyone have the answer? Has anyone seen this movie?
    I've not seen this film but I looked it up and it looks like a good movie... I'd really like to see it. Evgeny Mironov played the main role and he's considered a very talented actor. It's not available on dvd right now, unfortunately, or I would've bought it. It's about a Russian soldier who spent 7 years in Afghanistan as a prisoner of war. An Afghan peasant saved him when he was led to be executed, in consequence of which this young man converted to Islam. However, when he finally returns to his native village, people don't understand him.

source http://emironov.ru/

source http://www.e-mironov.narod.ru/movie/mus/mus-foto.htm

I've found Russian subs on http://subs.com.ru. They look quite easy so I suppose I could translate it but it would take a lot of time -- a month at least, because I've got a lot of work. So I'm not promising but with time on my hands I could be a good Samaritan. Send me a PM.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky

I've found Russian subs on http://subs.com.ru. They look quite easy so I suppose I could translate it but it would take a lot of time -- a month at least, because I've got a lot of work. So I'm not promising but with time on my hands I could be a good Samaritan. Send me a PM.
    You can open a new translation at http://notabenoid.com/ so that others could join it.

Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast