Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: The crisis in Syria

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    From your spiteful response I'm assuming that you can't wait to "liberate" the poor Syrians and bring them some "democracy", huh?
    No -- I supported the Iraq War at the time because I regarded it as a "rational gamble" in the post-9/11 environment to project American military power into the Muslim Arab world (to remind them that we COULD, and to show that we weren't deaf when Middle Easterners complained about our historic willingness to tolerate and prop up dictatorial regimes in the name of stability, and for other reasons).

I now admit that we disastrously underestimated the degree to which Saddam's oppression of Iraq had been a stabilizing force that PREVENTED a lot of deaths as a result of ethnic/religious conflict among Iraqis, and that we should not repeat this mistake by attacking Syria.
    maxmixiv and Deborski like this.

My husband has a theory that Obama is actually playing a complex game of "chess" and orchestrating the vote with Congress so that the air strike initiative will fail. He says that Obama is only trying to appear "strong" but that in reality the president has no intention of attacking Syria.

Personally, I hope he's right. But the cynical side of me thinks that US military action in Syria is inevitable, given our track record in the Middle East.

By the way, I did not support the war with Iraq, but I did support the war with Afghanistan (post 9/11) because I thought it would be a "limited engagement," that we would get Osama Bin Laden and then get out of there. Ten years later Osama was still breathing and the Taliban was as strong as ever, while untold thousands of innocent people were dead.

So now, I regret that we invaded Afghanistan and I do not believe that engaging Syria will be a stroll in the park as some people are suggesting, and I detest words like "humanitarian intervention," "punitive measures," "sending Assad a message" or "surgical strike." Many experts and military brass even say that if we invade Syria it will turn into a prolonged engagement, that it will only further destabilize the region and that no one will gain from it except those who make their profits from feeding the war machine.
    Throbert McGee likes this.
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    If you think you're insulting me by insulting British men, you are wasting your time.
    (1) Even if I really believed -- which I don't! -- that 98.07% of British men enjoy having sex with other men, I would hope it should be rather obvious by now that I don't personally consider it insulting to suggest that a person is homosexual -- for the same reason that you wouldn't consider it insulting if I said that 98.07% of British men are secretly Swedish.

(2) In any case, it was a joke -- the point being that to make guesses about a man's religion because his name is "David Goulding" is as ridiculous as making guesses about a man's sexual orientation because he's British.

PS Of course, there ARE names -- or forms of names -- that are particularly associated with one religion or another -- a Christian boy is unlikely to be named "Shlomo", a Jewish boy is unlikely to be named "Christopher", and neither of these boys is likely to be named "Muhammad"! However, neither "David" nor "Goulding" happens to be one of those names that are strongly linked to a particular faith, at least in English.
    Deborski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    (1) Even if I really believed -- which I don't! -- that 98.07% of British men enjoy having sex with other men, I would hope it should be rather obvious by now that I don't personally consider it insulting to suggest that a person is homosexual -- for the same reason that you wouldn't consider it insulting if I said that 98.07% of British men are secretly Swedish.

(2) In any case, it was a joke -- the point being that to make guesses about a man's religion because his name is "David Goulding" is as ridiculous as making guesses about a man's sexual orientation because he's British.

PS Of course, there ARE names -- or forms of names -- that are particularly associated with one religion or another -- a Christian boy is unlikely to be named "Shlomo", a Jewish boy is unlikely to be named "Christopher", and neither of these boys is likely to be named "Muhammad"! However, neither "David" nor "Goulding" happens to be one of those names that are strongly linked to a particular faith, at least in English.
    My last name is Armstrong. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean I get to be an astronaut or an Olympic skier either )))))

That said, I can't count the times people have asked me if I'm related......
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Raytheon Company Common Stock Stock Chart | RTN Interactive Chart - Yahoo! Finance

Speaking of the profits to be gained from military involvement, Raytheon stock is already up by almost 20% - and that is just from the threat of war. Raytheon, as some of you probably know, manufactures Tomahawk missiles. Once an airstrike is formally announced, you can expect to see stocks go through the roof. I'm sure investors are already wetting their pants in anticipation.

Syria strike could bring Raytheon payday - Austin Wright - POLITICO.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3836276.html

Kerry Admits Possibility of 'Boots on the Ground' in Syria | Common Dreams

Kerry Admits Possibility of 'Boots on the Ground' in Syria:

Asked by Senate Robert Menendez (D-NJ) whether or not language should be inserted in a congressional authorization for an attack on Syria that would prohibit 'U.S. boots on the ground,' U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said that would not be good idea. Kerry stammered, and then declared—"in the event Syria imploded, for instance"—that he wouldn't want to take that option "off the table" by inserting such a clause.

The exchange occurred as Kerry, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, and Chairman of the Joints Chief of Staff Adm. Martin Dempsey delivered testimony about the Obama administration's push for military action—also known as war—against Syria before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Tuesday.

In a follow-up question on the issue, Kerry said he wanted to "shut the door" on the impression left by his previous answer regarding boots on the ground.

When Kerry said "shut the door", what he means is "don't let anyone know what we're planning". Kerry, McCain, and Obama wanna creep into Syria with a "limited" strike, then escalate it into a "boots on ground" war.
    It's easier to get Americans to agree to a "surgical" strike... then they can create a new story to get Americans to agree to a war.
    Bullies at school use that same strategy.

Why I think President Obama doesn't really want to attack Syria

By seeking Congressional approval, and forcefully making the case for intervention, President Obama is goading Congressional Republicans into giving him an excuse to keep American cruise missiles out of Syria and avoid provoking a skittish Iran. And in deferring to the legislature, President Obama will ensure that future presidents will be expected to consult Congress before embarking on unilateral military excursions, and suffer the political consequences for failing to do so.
    This writer takes the same view as my husband and a few other people I have spoken with lately, who believe that Obama is actually playing a master game of chess with Congress and secretly has no intention of military involvement in Syria.

Personally, I hope he's right, but given America's track record as well as Obama's and John Kerry's constant hammering of their invasion agenda, I am inclined to doubt it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborski View Post
    This writer takes the same view as my husband and a few other people I have spoken with lately, who believe that Obama is actually playing a master game of chess with Congress and secretly has no intention of military involvement in Syria.
    Let's hope the "endspiel" wouldn't be the same as for Libya or Iraq, which were already "democratized"

I don't know if the writer is comfortable with his head buried in the sand but I guess everybody should have an opinion, might as well be this opinion. I disagree on the writer's view though
    14Russian likes this.

Banned
    Вчера смотрел по российскому телевидению кусок прямой трансляции из Конгресса США. Речь шла о войне США против Сирии.
    Мои впечатления такие:

1. Как же они зомбируют своих конгрессменов! Сплошные фразы о том, что они "сегодня должны принять решение" и всё. Никакого рассмотрения по существу, никаких деталей, никакого включения мозга и попытки мыслить. Это больше похоже на сеанс коллективного зомбирования, а не на работу.

2. Ораторское искусство Обамы и прочих совершенно одинаково: они как бы пытаются сплотить аудиторию, объединить её вокруг какой-то идеи. Для этого смотрят то направо, то налево. Причём, держат при этом каждый раз паузу. И кто-то на заднем плане начинает кивать головой. Ну, ребята, у вас там всё очень запущенно.

3. Америка вообще понимает, что национальные интересы и мораль - это разные вещи, иногда прямо противоположные? Такое ощущение, что американские домохозяйки готовы замочить кого угодно, если им от этого будет безопаснее и комфортнее жить. Вообще, Америка показывает нам, что демократия может быть очень кровожадной, ведь она учитывает только интересы человека, а они низменны. Если человек глуп, жаден, ленив, труслив, завистлив, а мы учтём его интересы, то мы должны будем поубивать миллионы вокруг, чтобы этот человек мог продолжать вести привычный образ жизни. Обама, похоже, раб этих тупых обывателей. И не важно, что он там в глубине души сам думает. Он повторяет то, что хочет слышать обыватель: "наземной операции не будет, у нас не будет жертв, но мы покажем, кто хозяин в доме". Вот и всё его отличие от Буша - он лучше чувствует интересы домохозяек, которые чего-то боятся.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborski View Post
    My last name is Armstrong. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean I get to be an astronaut or an Olympic skier either )))))

That said, I can't count the times people have asked me if I'm related......
    A great surname! But why did you not mention the jazz singer? He is definitely more famous than the Olympic skier. At least in Russia

I knew two Armstrongs until now: the astronaut and the musician. Now I know four
    Deborski likes this.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Юрка View Post
    3. Америка вообще понимает, что национальные интересы и мораль - это разные вещи, иногда прямо противоположные? Такое ощущение, что американские домохозяйки готовы замочить кого угодно, если им от этого будет безопаснее и комфортнее жить. Вообще, Америка показывает нам, что демократия может быть очень кровожадной, ведь она учитывает только интересы человка, а они низменны. Если человек глуп, жаден, ленив, труслив, завистлив, а мы учтём его интересы, то мы должны будем поубивать миллионы вокруг, чтобы этот человек мог продолжать вести привычный образ жизни. Обама, похоже, раб этих тупых обывателей. И не важно, что он там в глубине души сам думает. Он повторяет то, что хочет слышать обыватель: "наземной операции не будет, у нас не будет жертв, но мы покажем, кто хозяин в доме". Вот и всё его отличие от Буша - он лучше чувствует интересы домохозяек, которые чего-то боятся.
    This is one of the problems of democracy. The very idea of democracy has its own weak sides: the will of majority is not always the best choice.
    We can see this issue well illustrated by the recent events in Egypt: the majority there has poor education, and they belong to the lowest social class. That majority is easily affected by the ideas of the radical islam. They easily believe in everything muslim brotherhood leaders say. There is another part of the population, well educated, who do not want to live under the Sharia law. But after Mubarrak was displaced in 2011, the majority voted for the Muslim Brotherhood. And it was truly democratic (according to the definition of democracy as we know it), no sarcasm here! It WAS democratic. But now we all can observe the consequences of that approach.
    Deborski likes this.

Вчера смотрел по российскому телевидению кусок прямой трансляции из Конгресса США. Речь шла о войне США против Сирии.
    Мои впечатления такие:

1. Как же они зомбируют своих конгрессменов! Сплошные фразы о том, что они "сегодня должны принять решение" и всё. Никакого рассмотрения по существу, никаких деталей, никакого включения мозга и попытки мыслить. Это больше похоже на сеанс коллективного зомбирования, а не на работу.

2. Ораторское искусство Обамы и прочих совершенно одинаково: они как бы пытаются сплотить аудиторию, объединить её вокруг какой-то идеи. Для этого смотрят то направо, то налево. Причём, держат при этом каждый раз паузу. И кто-то на заднем плане начинает кивать головой. Ну, ребята, у вас там всё очень запущено.

3. Америка вообще понимает, что национальные интересы и мораль - это разные вещи, иногда прямо противоположные? Такое ощущение, что американские домохозяйки готовы замочить кого угодно, если им от этого будет безопаснее и комфортнее жить. Вообще, Америка показывает нам, что демократия может быть очень кровожадной, ведь она учитывает только интересы человека, а они низменны. Если человек глуп, жаден, ленив, труслив, завистлив, а мы учтём его интересы, то мы должны будем поубивать миллионы вокруг, чтобы этот человек мог продолжать вести привычный образ жизни. Обама, похоже, раб этих тупых обывателей. И не важно, что он там в глубине души сам думает. Он повторяет то, что хочет слышать обыватель: "наземной операции не будет, у нас не будет жертв, но мы покажем, кто хозяин в доме". Вот и всё его отличие от Буша - он лучше чувствует интересы домохозяек, которые чего-то боятся.
    Пустая болтовня, демагогия. "мыслью по древу". Опять по логике: я так разложил - это теперь будет чистой правдой.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Мои впечатления такие:

2. Ораторское искусство Обамы и прочих совершенно одинаково: они как бы пытаются сплотить аудиторию, объединить её вокруг какой-то идеи. Для этого смотрят то направо, то налево. Причём, держат при этом каждый раз паузу. И кто-то на заднем плане начинает кивать головой. Ну, ребята, у вас там всё очень запущено.

Props for that! That's the best description of Congress I've ever read. They only believe what they wanna believe - then they pass laws and make wars.

About Obama's "master game of chess with Congress": I don't believe that. I think the only reason he decided to wait for a decision from Congress was because he wants to look better at the G20 summit. He doesn't want the other countries to think he's a warmonger. Well, at least until the summit is over. It's all about economics and politics and posturing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман View Post
    A great surname! But why did you not mention the jazz singer? He is definitely more famous than the Olympic skier. At least in Russia

I knew two Armstrongs until now: the astronaut and the musician. Now I know four
    I doubt that anybody would ask Deborah about her relation to a black guy

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer View Post
    Let's hope the "endspiel" wouldn't be the same as for Libya or Iraq, which were already "democratized"

I don't know if the writer is comfortable with his head buried in the sand but I guess everybody should have an opinion, might as well be this opinion. I disagree on the writer's view though
    There's no shortage of idiotic writers. Political Science major or not, anyone who thinks that Obomber actually *doesn't want to* does have their head in the sand. Obomber is a puppet and if these things take a little time, then so be it. Everyone is a fool if they think that because he's "asking" for input from Congress means he is following the rule of law or is somehow being ethical in any way. They should look up all the Constitutional violations and the NDAA. There's people putting up 'Impeach Obama' banners all over the U.S. This thing with Syria has already been building long ago. Obomber should have way more criticism than he does now and it's a shame so many Americans have their heads in the sand. It's just sad...

Властелин
    3. Америка вообще понимает, что национальные интересы и мораль - это разные вещи, иногда прямо противоположные? Такое ощущение, что американские домохозяйки готовы замочить кого угодно, если им от этого будет безопаснее и комфортнее жить. Вообще, Америка показывает нам, что демократия может быть очень кровожадной, ведь она учитывает только интересы человека, а они низменны. Если человек глуп, жаден, ленив, труслив, завистлив, а мы учтём его интересы, то мы должны будем поубивать миллионы вокруг, чтобы этот человек мог продолжать вести привычный образ жизни.
    Самое интересное, это написано человеком. Если вы говорите что интересы человека учитывать глупо, а при этом вы человек, значит вашу позицию можно проигнорировать, вы согласны? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман View Post

Well, it would be a great honor if anyone thought I was related to Louis Armstrong, but since I am white, people rarely make that connection )))

Ann Wright, retired US Army Colonel and former US Diplomat, writes:

Its 4am and I can’t sleep, just like 10 years ago when President Bush was telling the world that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and the United States must invade and occupy Iraq to rid humanity of these weapons. I didn’t believe President Bush ten years ago and I resigned as a U.S. diplomat.

Now a decade later, President Obama is telling the world that the use of chemical weapons in Syria by the Assad government must be answered by other weapons, even though the results of the UN inspection team have not been compiled—just as the Bush administration refused to wait for the UN report by the inspectors who had been looking for WMD in Iraq.
    https://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/08/31-3
    Юрка likes this.

Putin: Russia might let U.N. OK strike against Syria - CBS News

Surprising statement from Putin:

President Vladimir Putin warned the West against taking one-sided action in Syria but also said Russia "doesn't exclude" supporting a U.N. resolution on punitive military strikes if it is proven that Damascus used poison gas on its own people.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Associated Press and Russia's state Channel 1 television, Putin said Moscow has provided some components of the S-300 air defense missile system to Syria but has frozen further shipments. He suggested that Russia may sell the potent missile systems elsewhere if Western nations attack Syria without U.N. Security Council backing.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast