Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in he

One of the greatest war movies ever is probably "Ballad of a Soldier/Баллада о солдате" (1959). It's a beautiful, heart-breaking film. And it's not difficult to understand at all, as there don't seem to be any specifically "Russian" references -- it's cross-cultural and mostly about the acting and visuals rather than dialogue, politics, etc. There are no battles in the film (except a little piece of action at the beginning). Highly recommended.

On imdb.com -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052600/

I've recently seen Dil Se (From the Heart) (199, which is a very unusual Hindi film. Very realistic, grim and gloomy, both in terms of photography and its subject matter. It's about separatism or, more precisely, about the love of a journalist for a terrorist girl. I didn't even know India had problems with separatists. Can't say I really like this film (I generally prefer something more kind, feel-good, eye-candy, humorous) but it was quite interesting and very well acted. Very artistically done and the music is gorgeous. The "Chaiyya, Chaiyya" song was apparently very popular in the UK. Every time I hear it, I go slightly crazy as it's extremely... er, dunno what the English would be for "зажигательный". It was shot on a moving train. Here it is -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfit3lK_xHs

The film was a box office failure in India (as such films generally tend to be there) but a success overseas. And it was the first Indian film to enter the top 10 in the United Kingdom box office charts.

Dil Se at imdb.com -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164538/

Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    Every time I hear it, I go slightly crazy as it's extremely... er, dunno what the English would be for "зажигательный".
    Would "inspiring" do fine in this sense?

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    Hmmm... perhaps.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Hmmm... perhaps.
    The issue here is that you can say "зажигательный" only about a very specific type of dance. But "inspiring" can be used in a more generic sense. Like, you can't say that the Swan Lake ballet was "зажигательный", right?

Like, you can't say that the Swan Lake ballet was "зажигательный", right?
    It was completely "разрывной".
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    Like, you can't say that the Swan Lake ballet was "зажигательный", right?
    It was completely "разрывной".

Как насчет зажигательный = stirring ?

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    I was also thinking of "rousing" but I don't like it somehow... It seems that this word is ultimately untranslatable. That is to say, you can translate it but something will be lost. Or else I don't know English well enough to pick an ideal equivalent. Maybe someone who is a native speaker will chip in. "Зажигательный" means "which sets smth on fire". In other contexts it can be translated as "incendiary, inflammatory."

P.S. I've also recently re-watched "The Dawns Here Are Quiet", for the fourth time, I think, and I don't remember if I mentioned it anywhere earlier but it's the one Russian film where Russian is spoken mostly with an accent -- the Northern one, "оканье" -- "гОвОри", "мОлОкО", etc. To tell the truth, I rather dislike it, though you do get used to it after a while. Since the action takes place somewhere in Carelia, it's quite natural. I don't know if people in those regions still have this accent. Also, the language for somebody learning Russian is quite difficult -- "слега" (which can be translated as a "stick"; I only ever saw this word used in the book this film is based on), "не гоношись", "Лизавета Батьковна", "на миру и смерть красна", "мал золотник да дорог" and others. I htink I like the books a bit better, though. Here is the book online -- http://militera.lib.ru/prose/russian/vasilyev1/01.html.

On the Learn English thread http://masterrussian.net/mforum/view...p?f=29&t=20727 I spoke about the movie Stand and Deliver, as yesterday an amazing educator and person, Jaime Escalante died.

If you have not seen this movie, it really is an uplifting and inspirational film and I highly recommend it (I do own this DVD).

I found a link to the film on StageVu http://stagevu.com/video/vebaqxoeixdg.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna

"Ballad of a Soldier/Баллада о солдате" (1959)
    Yes, I want to see it --- but what's a love film when you have no love (romantic) in your life...!!? Makes me feel lonely! Even though my lack of romance is completely voluntary, it is nevertheless still a bit lonely.

(Don't want to get involved because I don't plan to stay in London and I had a terrible heartbreak a while back. Not fully recovered.)

I have a strong feeling that if I watch Баллада о солдате I'll feel as if I can't manage without a man (which is exactly what I am doing...)

"Dawns here are quiet" is more about friendship camaraderie etc... No romance other than fragments of the memories of the heroines.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    "Ballad of a Soldier/Баллада о солдате" (1959)
    Yes, I want to see it --- but what's a love film when you have no love (romantic) in your life...!!? Makes me feel lonely! Even though my lack of romance is completely voluntary, it is nevertheless still a bit lonely.

(Don't want to get involved because I don't plan to stay in London and I had a terrible heartbreak a while back. Not fully recovered.)

I have a strong feeling that if I watch Баллада о солдате I'll feel as if I can't manage without a man (which is exactly what I am doing...)

"Dawns here are quiet" is more about friendship camaraderie etc... No romance other than fragments of the memories of the heroines.
    Johanna! Woman! There are times everyone feels that they can't manage without other people... it is what makes us human... but your life should not be defined by a man or lack of a man. No man (or woman) should determine for you where you live or how you live. If you want to live in London or in a hut on a remote island... that should be YOUR choice... and if by chance you are lucky enough in life to meet a man who wants to share that life with you, then great.

This is the trouble I have with the "Hollywood" idea of romance and marriage. Marriage is WORK people!!! Romance, if you want it, make it happen. Your partner will not always put rose petals all over your bed and light candles and remember your birthday or anniversary! If you want that, you might need do that yourself or TELL them that you want that.

Now I admit, I do LOVE a good chick flick even though I think they set the expectation for people WAY too high... so Johanna, watch the movie with a pint of ice cream and know... YOUR LIFE HAS VALUE. YOUR LIFE HAS MEANING. With or without a man. (BTW, I would give the same speech to a guy, just change the pronouns
    around!)

And I fully expect DDT to come along and post something dreadful about my post! So, go on...Bring it on!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почётный участник

I wholeheartedly concur Rockzmom. Of course we do not need a man (or woman) to be happy. But still, it's nice to have someone to be happy with.

And I looooooove chick flicks. Especially with a pint of ice-cream .

BTW, has anyone noticed Birubir's channel on youtube is down?

Quote Originally Posted by devochka
    BTW, has anyone noticed Birubir's channel on youtube is down?
    What a shame. Probably another result of RAS' dirty work.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna

Rockzmom, devochka; thanks for the moral support! What you say is true!

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    How 'bout "exhilarating"?

translation of зажигательный as inflammatory, might not be idiomatic.

No movies to add, but have been reading Gogol.

And Kuznetsov's Babi Yar (his updated version). Almost had a heart attack, several times.

Books are (almost) always better than movies.

Is there a thread for books here? I haven't looked, but now I will...

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph
    How 'bout "exhilarating"?
    Yeah, great idea! Thanks!

There is, there is. Do come over there and tell us more about "Baby Yar". Haven't heard about this book. Only I'm afraid I'm quite done with reading horrible stuff on WWII...

There is, there is.
    Я ищу книги нить ...

Почтенный гражданин

There is, there is.
    Я ищу книги нить ...
    I suppose that starrysky referred to the thread Literature Talk: Russian & Non -Discuss/Review/Q&As.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Почтенный гражданин

Okaaaay, I just continue escaping from reality, that is, watching Bollywood, and have now seen quite a lot of movies. I have only a few favourites because, frankly, it's very rarely that I like a Bolly film entirely. Most often, it's just some moments or the music that I like. But those films that I do love, I love passionately. Have become quite a Bolly-maniac though I don't think I'll ever take it as far as some people go and make it to the South Indian cinema. Can't really post normal reviews for all my favourites so I'll just copy-paste my post from another forum listing them and my impressions on some of the films (the first three are mainstream and were very popular while the others are more unusual, art films (Dil Se and Asoka especially):

Main Hoon Na (it's a masala movie -- lots of genres mixed into one but it's also quite unique. I have a very soft spot for it because it was my first modern Hindi movie; and anyway I still think it's one great, fun, feelgood solid entertainment. It's a sort of self-parody -- spoofing a lot of Bollywood stereotypes but it also stands on its own as a story. Humour is definitely one of the things I like so much about it.)

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (KKHH) (a love story/melodrama. Liked it the first time round, LOVED it on repeat viewing. My first film with Shahrukh Khan and Kajol -- aah, the chemistry)

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) (love it. It's just a classic. The first half is incredibly romantic and invariably lifts my mood. Can't help chuckling at many scenes even though I've seen the film three times already. I've noticed that I watch it with a silly smile on my face.)

Asoka. SUCH a beautiful, artistic film. SO disappointed it wasn't more successful. Beats me. Didn't think I would like it at all -- since it's got Kareena Kapoor in the leading role (more on that later), and I don't watch that type of period films anyway -- from really ancient times when people went about barely dressed -- because it usually includes lots of violence, battle scenes, and heads and limbs flying in all directions. I was strong enough to see Gladiator on big screen when I was about 16 and though it made a huge impression, I've had enough violence to last me a lifetime. No "Troy" or "Alexander" after that. Especially since those were clearly made because of "Gladiator"'s success. Anyway, Russell Crow is one thing, and Brad Pitt is quite another. If that makes sense, lol.

The thing that got me about Asoka is that it's such a tragic, poignant story, based on real life too. Shahrukh is just amazing. He managed to portray Asoka's journey really well. And Kareena did very well in all the tragic scenes towards the end. And the music. "Roshni Se" is so incredibly romantic and tragic.

Dil Se -- little by little it really grew on me. I now think this film's got some of the most romantic scenes ever... It was shot by the same cinematographer as Asoka -- Santosh Sivan. What a great man, I've become somewhat of a fan.

Devdas -- never thought I'd ever call it a fave but I've rewatched it recently looking closely at the acting and it finally got me. This one also has some of the most romantic/beautiful moments in any film I've ever seen. And the ending is heart-rending. Beautifully shot but horrible. Aishwarya is very beautiful in "Devdas" to the point of almost outshining poor Shahrukh though it's one of his best roles -- the rebellious alcoholic Devdas.

That's it. Those are the films that I think are almost without fault. I expected a lot of Kal Ho Naa Ho, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, and Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna but those were a bit disappointing. I enjoyed them all right, cried my eyes out at K3G (don't think I've ever cried so much at any film), but there were a lot of things I didn't like. Like Kareena's character Poo in K3G -- she almost ruined the second half of the film for me! Kajol's character was also very over-the-top in the beginning. Didn't like the songs either (except for Suraj Hua Maddham and Yeh Ladka Hai Allah).

Kal Ho Naa Ho -- too much silliness, too many silly characters for me... But also cried my heart out in the end.

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna -- loved the songs (Mitwa, KANK, Tumhi Dekho Naa -- beautiful, beautiful, beautiful), thought some of the jokes were funny (Black Beast), didn't like Amitabh's character (why the need for so many stupid call girls? And that stupid party, with Rock 'N Roll Soniye song). Think it would be better if the scenes with him were cut and those that didn't make it into the film (like Dev spraying Maya with ketchup) were left. Looooved the love-making scene.

All right, that's it for now. The crappiest movie I've seen so far was Karan Arjun (fight-song-fight-song...). "Koyla" made by the same team is a bit more watchable (poor Shahrukh's character, Shankar, though -- quite unbearable to see him beaten so much).

Also saw some films that don't star SRK:

Rang De Basanti (very good, powerful movie and no songs/dances, too. But it didn't become a fave as it's a bit too depressing)
    Vivah (boring, imho)

Rang De Basanti

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

Kajol is such a beauty

But personality-wise I like Rani Mukerji more

Devdas

Main Hoon Na

Asoka

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast