Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Hanna

Re: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

So, has anyone happen to watch it already?
    Can you summarise the theme of the film?I don't quite understand. It seems ok.
    Afghanistan is clearly "the new Vietnam" for film makers; in the 1980s some good Vietnam films were made, now the turn has come to Afghanistan.. I think it's terrible that foreign countries have been meddling there since the 19th century... They should be left alone to develop at their own pace... I read of British soldiers who have died there almost every day in the papers... Meaningless deaths.

It's not about that. This film is based on a true story, unfortunately there are little info about this incident in English, but here's what I've found:

On 3 August 1995, a MiG-19S fighter operated by the Taliban government intercepted an Il-76TD operated by the Russian airline Airstan and forced it to land in Kandahar. Taliban officials were annoyed at Russian backing of anti-Taliban Afghan forces and wanted to use the crew as hostages for the return of Taliban members believed to be held by the Russians. The Russian government negotiated to no effect; a scheme to perform a commando raid to free the hostages was dismissed as impractical.

However, the crew was resourceful enough to rescue themselves. They managed to talk their captors into giving them access to the Il-76TD in order to keep it in flightworthy condition, and on 16 August 1996, after over a year in captivity, they made a run for it, taking off with three of their guards along with them, and flying at low level to Iran with a huge cloud of dust in the aircraft's wake. Fighters were scrambled to intercept, but the pilots assumed that the aircraft was heading north to Russia and failed to stop the escape.

Here's the Wikipedia article about that in Russian.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Hanna

My word, that's quite a story. I'd definitely like to see that....

There is another story, it was filmatised as Peshawar Waltz, which you can download from http://depositfiles.com/files/tuecrvnnh (English subtitles).

"...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почтенный гражданин

"Kandagar" looks like a decent movie (and I like Mashkov and Alexandre Golubev, they were both in "Liquidation") but I don't want to see it on big screen -- people getting beaten and tortured and what-not.

I'm lost to all serious cinema at the moment anyway, as I've been watching lots of Bollywood. Hindi cinema used to be shown quite a lot in the Soviet Union as we had (and have) good relationships with India and it found its audience.
    My fave so far is Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. An incredibly moving and heart-warming film, full of love, romance, humour, kindness, and great music. Any one else seen it? Shahrukh Khan and Kajol are the most famous romantic pair of Bollywood (in movies, not in real life).

Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Hanna

I used to follow Bollywood up until about four years ago when I started getting an overdose of India at work. Suddenly I got completely "allergic" to anything Indian because it reminded me of my incredibly stressful work situation which I wanted to forget about as soon as I left there. Worked with lots of Indians (IT outsourcing)

But I agree with you that the films are entertaining, the plots engaging and the music is fun. Some of it is (at least used to be) incredibly silly, like insane co-incidences and people who are either too sugary nice or pure evil (not enough nuance in the characters).

Bollywood is quite big in England because of the huge numbers of people from an Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi background who live here. (Known as "Asians") Bollywood is often shown at cinema and many white people enjoy it every now and then.

I have a feeling Indian cinema is become a bit more artistic and less kitsch. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Worked with lots of Indians (IT outsourcing)

Hindu code?

Code:
    bool b;
    if (b.ToString().length < 5){...}

Старший оракул

Some of it is (at least used to be) incredibly silly, like insane co-incidences and people who are either too sugary nice or pure evil (not enough nuance in the characters).
    You can’t do without twins, one of whom is lost in his/her babyhood, accidently slipping out of his/her mother’s hands and off the bridge into the foaming brine, when she habitually kicks her foot against a splinter, while running away from her evil uncle Raj, only later to be found by a Gipsy and raised into a feisty rapscallion who’s going to inevitably reunite with his/her meek and obedient sibling and revenge, this time both of them, their mothers tears (no need to remind you that since the moment the child perishes his/her mother’s day starts with crying her eyes out year in year out), childhood hardships and lost profit for the unlucky one.))

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    You can’t do without twins, one of whom is lost in his/her babyhood, accidently slipping out of his/her mother’s hands and off the bridge into the foaming brine, when she habitually kicks her foot against a splinter
    Yeah exactly! Shameless escapism!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Worked with lots of Indians (IT outsourcing)

Hindu code?

Code:
    bool b;
    if (b.ToString().length < 5){...}
    Hmm... Yeah...
    SOME of them are pretty good but too many are NOT.... And consultancies in general are shameless in that they have no reservation about taking a someone straight out of university, who can barely make himself understood in English and pass him off as a "senior technical analyst" or something like that.
    Don't get me started on all this...

Plus there is a BIG cultural difference and this sometimes creates fairly frustrating situations particularly when everyone is working under extreme time pressure andf financial pressure.

Not to mention the fact that the whole principle of outsourcing to low-cost countries is not really in line with my principles -- although it's worth noting that their "low" salaries still give them an excellent lifestyle in India -- better in many ways than an equivalent person in Europe. But the truth is, if not for the price, in most cases they would not have been used.

... (no need to remind you that since the moment the child perishes his/her mother’s day starts with crying her eyes out year in year out), childhood hardships and lost profit for the unlucky one.))
    Needless to mention that medieval European literature too is very abundant with plots like that.

Почтенный гражданин

I have a feeling Indian cinema is become a bit more artistic and less kitsch. What do you think?
    Some of it is (at least used to be) incredibly silly, like insane co-incidences and people who are either too sugary nice or pure evil (not enough nuance in the characters).
    You can’t do without twins, one of whom is lost in his/her babyhood, accidently slipping out of his/her mother’s hands and off the bridge into the foaming brine, when she habitually kicks her foot against a splinter, while running away from her evil uncle Raj, only later to be found by a Gipsy and raised into a feisty rapscallion who’s going to inevitably reunite with his/her meek and obedient sibling and revenge, this time both of them, their mothers tears (no need to remind you that since the moment the child perishes his/her mother’s day starts with crying her eyes out year in year out), childhood hardships and lost profit for the unlucky one.))
    That's Seeta and Geeta. Is that the only one you've seen? It's an old movie, Bollywood changed quite a bit since then. But I suspect men shouldn't bother with Hindi movies at all, for the most part. There seems to be a lot of cynicism, narrow-mindedness, and prejudice towards Hindi movies which is a sad thing -- they are not all bad, you know. Among the heaps of crap there are gems. The things that I like about Indian cinema are its beautiful, vibrant colours, traditions and culture, music and dances. All those things absent from the Russian cinema.

There are now a lot of different Hindi movies, more seriously-minded and so on, like "Swades", which explores the problem of "brain drain", which India faces and which is very topical for Russia as well -- a lot of intelligent, educated people leave the country in search of greener pastures. Bollywood no longer makes only traditional "masala" movies which included all genres mixed into one -- melodrama, comedy, action. In this respect it's moving more towards Hollywood and not everyone likes this. Though modern Indian films are definitely less boring compared to the older ones.

Shameless escapism!
    Yeah, who doesn't like a bit of escapism? I'd say Hindi movies are about celebrating life and having fun.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Has anyone heard of or seen "The Music Lesson"??

http://www.greenboxfilms.com/documentaries.html There is a trailer on this site

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1329409/

Synopsis: The Music Lesson tells the story of two groups of young people from extraordinarily different backgrounds as they use the power of music to discover each other's worlds.

Ten classically trained students from the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra traveled across the world for a life-changing cultural exchange with a group of students from Laikipia, Kenya, whose tribal elders have passed down the tradition of singing, dancing, and playing music for centuries.
    The Kenyan teacher/percussionist featured in the film and I believe the director will be visiting some of the schools in our area this week and showing the film and then doing a Q&A afterwards. We are going to be able to see it tomorrow.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

I'm watching "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" right now. I have not expected it to be any good , but I must admit that I like it!
    It's like a little brother to "ROME": more brash and garish, but cute in it's own way.

What leaves you speechless almost from the first minutes is literally gallons of blood spurting from even the tiniest cut when men are fighting. Some people are unhappy about this because it's too cartoonish. I personally think that it's a bow to the aesthetics of the original comic book (though I have not seen it). After all no one got indignant that people in "City of Sin" were "black & white, right? These moments are very graphic, in the sense that sometimes it looks like a picture from a book, which was an intentional effect, in my opinion.

There are also a lot of sex charged scenes (including homosexual intercourse and frontal nudity). So this show is definitely not for the young and/or squeamish.

That aside, the acting is surprisingly good, Spartacus is likable and intense, villains are two-dimesional and there's even a descent plot emerging after 3rd episode or so (more complicated and interesting, than just "Spartacus is fighting on arena"). There are intrigues, fights, romantics and even some tragic events.

I highly recommend it if:
    1) you liked "Gladiator" or "Rome"
    2) you are ok with graphic sex and violence
    3) you do not expect historical truth from a show based on a comic book
    4) you have sense of humor

It might also be a good idea to watch at least two episodes before you give up on it. )))

Official site with trailers to every episode:
    http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus

Завсегдатай

Кто-нибудь видел фильм "Ничего личного" (2007)?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай

Ты имеешь в виду 'Duplicity'? (2009)

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Ты имеешь в виду 'Duplicity'? (2009)
    Нет, наш, русский фильм режиссера Ларисы Садиловой. Он 2007 года.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Re: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in he

Form the Music thread...

This 1989 Oscar and a Golden Globe winning song is from one of my favorite movies, Working Girl and the song is Let the River Run by Carly Simon. I could re-watch Working Girl almost any day and this version of the song is the one I like the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-0mmVnxPA

Great film! I couldn’t help but see it after your passionate introduction. As usual no one has ever heard about it in the video stores, nothing but junk with guns, monsters and stupid car chases there. So I found it on MEGAVIDEO in a not so great resolution, but liked it, regardless. The song too. Don’t remember seeing Melanie Griffith anywhere before, but here she was nice, I mean beautiful. I dare not look for what she is like now, for time can make fools of us all.
    So... as I said on the music thread, I would post over here why it is that Working Girl http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096463/ is one of my favorite films.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that I was living in New York when this film came out in 1988 and the film takes place in New York. If you ever wanted to know about what it was like to live in this area of the world during that period... this is the film to watch. The writers, actors and director nailed this one. All the mannerisms and stereotypes are dead-on perfect! The hair too! OMG yes, women in NY and New Jersey wore their hair like that, the higher the better! Today, the sneakers have been traded in for flip-flops. Why on earth they wear flip-flops on the dirty NY streets to work is beyond me!

The next reason I like this film so much is it is the so correct as to the office politics and reminds me that I am not alone in my experiences with those things. It always give me hope when things at work happen. You see what happens to Tess and you feel for her and you can relate to her because you have been in her shoes! And it is always nice to think (even though you know it is only a movie) that someone has it worse than you.

Next, it give me hope. I used to watch this movie to give me confidence right before starting a new job or a promotion. Silly, I know, but it is that kind of a film for me... the David and Goliath of the work place.

Finally, I love the cinematography. The ending shot is amazing and worth waiting for every time!

So there you have it... my sappy reasons for liking this film. And yes, I own a DVD of it!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil in [url=http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?p=227574#p227574
    this[/url] thread]Ты по телевизору их смотришь? (Там это всё вырезается)
    Вчера или позавчера я действительно видела по телеку современный (200 российский фильм, в котором была куча мата (он запикивался и заглушался, но всё было понятно), причем совершенно непонятно, зачем он там был. Все эти фразы можно было бы сказать и обычным языком, и у персонажей не было никакого особенного эмоционального накала, когда они их произносили. Фильм назывался "Тот, кто гасит свет". Закос под типичный американский детектив-ужастик, с очень хорошими известными российскими актерами. Куча несуразностей и неправды, в духе "12" Михалкова, плюс издевательский монтаж (куча склеек, "рваные" кадры и т.д.). Меня, кстати, посетила мысль, что посмотри этот фильм американский зритель, фильм бы ему очень понравился.

Кто-нибудь смотрел?..

Hanna

Something about war films that I remembered when I wrote in another thread. It belongs here, I think.

====================================

My opinion (newly founded) is also that the old Russian (Soviet) war films that I have seen recently are better (in my view) than the American ones because they focus on the regular people affected by the war, and they do not over-dramatise events.

Hollywood films always focus on some specific action and liberally change the historical facts for maximum effect. Plus make all the good people American and great looking... For me, all this is cliche-ish and not interesting.

I had never seen a Russian war film until recently, but now I am glad that I have -- they really give a new perspective. Too bad they were not spread more outside Russia before! A lot of Europeans (like Brits) only knew the American view of the war.

Some good films about the War that I've seen multiple times because they've run on TV:

"Heimat" which is an epic German chronicle that takes place partly during those years. There is a cool sub-plot about a man who walks from Siberia (he was taken prisoner) back to Germany.

Also, the eternal "Heroes of the Telemark" which I've seen on TV about a million times in Sweden. (But they changed most of the Norwegians to Americans and Brits if I remember correctly.)

Films I've seen on cinema:
    Pearl Harbour was a pretty good American war film, I thought.

"Hitlerjunge Salomon" (German) was very good too and allegedly based on the true (completely bizarre) life of somebody who is still alive. There is plenty of bad Russian in the film.

And lately:
    I *REALLY* liked "А зори здесь тихие" and "Stirlitz" and have watched a few other ones but missed a lot due to bad or no subs. More on this some other time. Kukushka was the first (very good!) film I have seen about the events in Finland (the winter war and ww2). There is a Finnish film called Talvisota (Vinterkriget) about this, from 1990.

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast