Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Re: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in he

A hint of a possibility of an intuition of a feeling of a realization of an insight has blossomed that this might have something to do with your avatar. Just a little.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph
    A hint of a possibility of an intuition of a feeling of a realization of an insight has blossomed that this might have something to do with your avatar. Just a little.
    Nay, nay, you're wrong there. It has nothing to do with my avatar whatsoever.

On a different note, saw in the news today that "Burnt By The Sun-2" has been premiered. Is anyone planning to go see it? I'm in two minds. On the one hand, Mikhalkov knows how to make good movies and "Burnt By The Sun" was a very powerful film, on the other... Well, a sequel to such a film sounds so lame. Like a sequel to "Titanic."

"Burnt by the Sun 2 (Russian: Утомлённые солнцем 2, translit. Utomlyonnye solntsem 2) is an upcoming Russian drama film directed by and starring Nikita Mikhalkov. It is scheduled to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival.[1] It is the sequel to Mikhalkov's 1994 film Burnt by the Sun."

Directed by Nikita Mikhalkov
    Produced by Nikita Mikhalkov
    Written by Nikita Mikhalkov
    Rustam Ibragimbekov
    Vladimir Moiseyenko
    Aleksandr Novototsky
    Starring Nikita Mikhalkov
    Cinematography Vladislav Opelyants
    Editing by Svetolik Zajc
    Release date(s) 22 April 2010
    Country Russia
    Language Russian

Discussion in Russian http://forum.kinomania.ru/showthread.php?t=22334

An article about the film in "Izvestia" http://www.izvestia.ru/culture/article3133168/
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    On the one hand, Mikhalkov [s:l29vc1qv]knows[/s:l29vc1qv] knew how to make good movies
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    On the one hand, Mikhalkov [s:1dzmuuze]knows[/s:1dzmuuze] knew how to make good movies
    Then it's "used to know".
    I dunno... I liked "The Barber of Siberia" all right though it was a bit of a mess but a touching film nonetheless. And I haven't seen "12".
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Подающий надежды оратор

Listen!! Movies seem to be an excellent thing to discuss)) They are
    But.. What about our cartoons?? Has anyone discussed it here?.. I love them so much.. There so many outstanding cartoons! Pieces of art)))

Подающий надежды оратор

I'm in two minds. On the one hand, Mikhalkov knows how to make good movies and "Burnt By The Sun" was a very powerful film, on the other... Well, a sequel to such a film sounds so lame. Like a sequel to "Titanic."

http://art-sluza.info/2010/04/12/mihalkov2010/
    There's a good interview of Mikhalkov where he explains why he decided to make this movie. My opinion has changed and now I wanna watch "Утомлённые-2"ю

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by silicium
    What about our cartoons?? Has anyone discussed it here?
    They definitely have. But there is nothing to prevent you from starting it all over again.

Старший оракул

And while I'm here.
    I want to warn you against watching "The Hills Have Eyes" (2006 one, I haven't seen the original). It's a horror movie with more than plenty of gore, with a ridiculous premise, it's unbelievably clichéd, to the point of looking like a parody, but without even a modicum of humor. It's pathetic.
    What horrified me about this movie was not the movie itself (about which I was merely disgusted), but an overwhelming abundance of ecstatic reviews on the IMDb site. I mean, I've seen a lot of movies, horror movies included, I didn't like, but I could always understand why some people might like them, but those people from the site are beyond my comprehension. I hate to think that there are so many almost accomplished maniacs around.
    Sorry, if somebody here have seen and liked it.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    I want to warn you against watching "The Hills Have Eyes" (2006 one, I haven't seen the original).
    I've seen both, but the only reason I remember that I watched them at all is a silly title, and a comment I've read at my local forum: I hope that toilet bowls don't have eyes, or it would be really awkward". It was more memorable than the film itself.

If I remember correctly it's one of those movies that deal with maniacal mutant families in deserts? Honestly I can't imagine how someone can like one better than the others, they are all the same. But you got me interested, E-learner. I'll probably watch it again when I'm in a masochistic mood, to see what's all the fuss is about.

Почтенный гражданин

There's a good interview of Mikhalkov where he explains why he decided to make this movie. My opinion has changed and now I wanna watch "Утомлённые-2"ю
    Yeah... That's why I'm in two minds about it. It might be worth watching after all. But it is still a bit ridiculous. I thought it was all quite unambiguous at the end of the first film that Mitya committed suicide and Kotov was shot. Of course, some people survived the "Great Purge" of 1937 like Marshal Rokossovsky but still... it's ridiculous.
    Going slightly offtopic but poor Rokossovky. Read an interview with some veterans a few days ago in a local paper -- soldiers really loved him.

Rokossovsky held senior commands until 1937, when he became caught up in Joseph Stalin's Great Purge and accused of "connections with foreign intelligence". His association with the cutting edge methods of Marshal Tukhachevsky may have been the real cause of his conflict with more traditional officers such as Semyon Budenny who still favored cavalry tactics, and whose policy disagreements with Tukhachesvky triggered the Great Purge of the Red Army that resulted in the execution of the latter, among many others. Rokossovsky, however, survived.

After interrogations that included torture resulting in nine missing teeth, three cracked ribs, the removal of his fingernails, and three mock shooting ceremonies, he was sent to the Kresty Prison in Leningrad, where he remained until March 1940, when he was released by Lev Gurshman. Some suggest he was released because there was a need for experienced officers to staff the large army needed for a pre-emptive Soviet strike against Germany,[3] while others will note that full mobilization could also serve a defensive purpose, and was likely in the context of general war mobilization by the other European powers, regardless of intent.
    But.. What about our cartoons?? Has anyone discussed it here?.. I love them so much.. There so many outstanding cartoons! Pieces of art)))
    I agree. I luuuurve cartoons too... Ours, Disney classics... Can't help having this deep emotional connection to them. And I don't think it's just nostalgia -- lots of work and talent went into making them. If I remember correctly there are links somewhere at the beginning of this thread for the Karlsson cartoons with subs...

Winnie-the-Pooh

Трое из Простоквашино/Troye iz Prostokvashino/Three from Buttermilk Village

Малыш и Карлсон/Malysh and Karlsson/Little Boy and Karlsson

Карлсон вернулся/Karlsson Vernulsya/Karlsson Returns

I just loooove Freken Bok! She is a hilarious "домомучительница". Brilliantly voiced by Faina Ranevskaya.

A funny caricature on Valeria Novodvorskaya as Freken Bok http://s49.radikal.ru/i124/0908/78/fcacb39af63c.jpg

Муми-тролль: Шляпа волшебника/Mumi-troll (Moomin-Troll): Shlyapa volshebnika/Magician's Hat

That one is a series of three cartoons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shlyapa_Volshebnika

Большой Ух -- love that one! "Мы медузы, мы медузы... Мы похожи на арбузы"

Русалочка/The Little mermaid

Домовенок Кузя -- also a great cartoon, with a lot of funny quotes. The Baba-Yaga character is marvellous.

quotes in wikipedia1
    quotes in wikipedia2

Дядюшка Ау

OK, I think that's about enough pics... I do get carried away sometimes. But there are A LOT of great cartoons. *sigh*

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    it's one of those movies that deal with maniacal mutant families in deserts? Honestly I can't imagine how someone can like one better than the others, they are all the same.
    Well, I'm afraid (or should I say "glad"? ) that I haven't seen many of that particular kind, as I try to stay away from them. And I didn't expect this one to be like that.
    I fell into a psychological trap, you see. I was watching "Outnumbered", about which I read recently on this forum and which turned out to be the best comedy I've seen for years, and there was this line there, said by a father to his little daughter: "You watched The Hills Have Eyes and didn't sleep for six months. And when we drove to Bristol you said the Cotswolds stared at you." And somehow I got the impression that this should be something mysterious, spooky and possibly even fun for an adult to watch.

Honestly I can't imagine how someone can like one better than the others, they are all the same.
    The more graphic is smashing or biting off of heads, burning people alive and the like -- the better, I suppose.

The horror movie I really enjoyed was "Tremors". The sequels were not bad too. But of course it was more fun than horror.

Старший оракул

The horror movie I really enjoyed was "Tremors". The sequels were not bad too. But of course it was more fun than horror.
    You mean the one about the earthworms that can crawl underground with speeds way over the official overground limit?)))

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    You mean the one about the earthworms that can crawl underground with speeds way over the official overground limit?)))
    Yeah, them graboids! Terrifying creatures, weren't they?
    My favorite scene from the movie -- "graboid breaking into the wrong rec room":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y_6H617 ... re=related

Hanna

On Starrysky's Bollywood post, I just have to say:
    Agree that it is exotic and escapist in the extreme...
    The costumes and music are very funky!!

I probably would like Bollywood films if not for the fact that I get such massive overdose of all things Indian at work (work with outsourcers)

There is such a big cultural gap at times, and it can be REALLY hard and to handle when you are stressed and under pressure...
    Northern European + Indian = culture clash....

I handle it, but once I get home I don't even want to think of India, let a lone watch a film from there...

How terribly politically incorrect, huh?
    I like my British-Indian colleagues though, but that's a bit different.

Hanna

They definitely have. But there is nothing to prevent you from starting it all over again.
    Doesn't the word "cartoon" mean drawn figures (animations?) like Donald Duck etc? Or does the word simply refer to childrens' TV programs?

Anyway; I remember watching lots of different Russian animated films on TV as a kid and they were great; cute figures and nice plots. Can't remember a single title, unfortunately. But they were a bit like films; long with a plot. Good quality.

I thought this comical one was Russian..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqbbf7EvvXA0 (Professor Balthazar) but I checked it on Youtube and actually, it was Yugoslavian. Absolute cult though; did anyone else watch it when they grew up?

Dr Snuggles - which was German or Dutch, I think; very funky series for kids... another cult...

And Barbapappas!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax8nJqh2P2o

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    There is such a big cultural gap at times, and it can be REALLY hard and to handle when you are stressed and under pressure...
    Northern European + Indian = culture clash....
    This is rather interesting, actually. I'd like to know the details about that cultural gap, since I'm interested in the Indian culture but it's not the place to discuss it... I've so far been irritated only by the treatment of women, widows especially, but I think the situation improved a lot in the last decades.

Doesn't the word "cartoon" mean drawn figures (animations?) like Donald Duck etc?
    I'm not really sure about how to use this word. As I understand it, the first meaning is what we call "карикатура/caricature" (i.e., a funny picture in a newspaper). But it can also mean "animated film." I sort of settled for calling Disney full-length animation, like "Beauty and the Beast", "animated film" and using "cartoon" for short stuff. But perhaps it's better to just say "animated film."

From the wiki:

Cartoon--
    The modern meaning refers to both humorous illustrations in print and animated films.
    P.S. The one thing I do hold against Indians is that two of my favourite films -- Asoka and Dil Se -- were flops in India. I just can't get it, they're so beautiful. But not in traditional, rainbow-garish Bollywood style. It's poetry expressed through visuals (I'm not even into poetry). If that makes sense. No, actually, I can understand about Dil Se, as I didn't love it at first sight either -- it was so different and unexpected. I'm reading a thread on Dil Se right now on another forum... And I totally don't know if this will be of use to anyone but here's

the best post on Dil Se I ever read (the first one)

a site about the film explaining how it's about the 7 shades of love

Hanna

What language(s) do they speak in these films?

The English accent of people from India is very distinct and even those who speak English as a second "native" language make a LOT of serious grammatical errors when they speak.

The English that they speak is almost a separate "dialect" of English -- it has SO many speakers and is actually used in India, between many Indians - I was surprised to learn that. That accent is very hard to understand at first. Over the last few years I have got used to it.

Sometimes after hours of meetings with people who speak like this, I almost end up using some typically "Indian" grammar/expressions myself!

I know that my Indian colleagues speak a complicated mix of languages between them (Hindi, Gujurati, Punjabi etc), depending on which part of the country they come from. I can not tell the difference between these languages. Have no idea what language the Bollywood films are in.

Hinglish! I think that's what they call the mix of HIndi and English expressions.
    Distinctly melodious.

Почтенный гражданин

What language(s) do they speak in these films?
    Bollywood films are in Hindi, I think. Plus, English/Hinglish. I agree that it's a strange form of English. In terms of accent it seems close to Russian (they have the same [r]. Grr, I can't pronounce it properly, I've got "French" [r]; also the same [h], including the Ukrainian version).

There's also this South Indian cinema (in Tamil, Telugu, and other languages), which is a whole other story but I don't think I'll ever go to these... I've a feeling they can only be downloaded on the net since no one distributes them in Russia and I just prefer buying dvds. I think at least with Hindi films we are lucky here that they are dubbed. I usually quite like the way it's done. For example, Vladimir Konkin who played Sharapov in "The Meeting Place Cannot Be Changed" lended his voice to many characters played by Shahrukh Khan and did it quite well, I should say. I read that for some people reading subtitles is just an insurmountable task so apparently some Americans totally rule out foreign films because of this.

I'm learning Hindi through the songs. It's a lot of fun because words get repeated. There are so many synonyms for "love" -- pyar, ishq, mohabbat, prem, and they all seem almost complete synonyms, not like "infatuation," "passion," etc. But perhaps it's just my insufficient knowledge. I like the language, somehow it looks really easy.

Старший оракул

Doesn't the word "cartoon" mean drawn figures (animations?) like Donald Duck etc?
    Yes, it does. And cartoons were being discussed in this very thread. For example: http://masterrussian.net/mforum/view...winnie#p212590

Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast