Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Статус женщины в России

Re: Статус женщины в России

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Just imagine the final runoff with just two candidates remaining...
    Umm... I'm not a big fan of Home-2, so I wouldn't enjoy the yelling, the cat-fighting, or the inevitable "я думаю то, что".

And younger
    So, you think Olga Buzova would do even better, wouldn't she?

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    If someone was a good actor/actress, it doesn't mean that (s)he can be a good politician or even a good producer.
    Do you remember:

Actor who became a president... Luckily Russia still exists on this planet.. but not thanks to his skills as a politician, in my opinion...!

Nothing wrong with a change of careers, but some people should stick with what they do best.

For the record Ramil --- you DO know a woman who is interested in politics. Me. Maybe some day.

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    And prettier than Hakamada too...
    Not without the ten layers of make-up. So, I'd rather say the other way around.
    And younger
    Just imagine the final runoff with just two candidates remaining...

In her job as a politician her looks are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.
    And what do you two know about make-up anyway, huh?

I am not familiar with Hakamada., other than that I recognise her name.
    But women often have a peaceful influence on politics instead of getting carried away and wanting to show their muscles and prove their points through confrontational politics.

But I do have to make one comment: Isn't Yulia Timoschenko very cool looking for a politician? I have no idea what her politics are, but I really respect her hairstyle and her choice of outfits. She looks like she is on her way to teach a class in etiquette, ca 1950...

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    ..Yulia Timoschenko.. but I really respect her hairstyle..
    IMHO her wig looks pretty much like a steering wheel cover.

Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Почтенный гражданин Martin Miles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    In her job as a politician her looks are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.
    Agreed, but voters are always influenced by irrelevant things like charm, charisma, and looks.

Earlier, you complained about being judged by your looks all the time. Here is a link that tries to explain why men and women alike attach so much importance to beauty http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...ood-genes.html

It seems to me that the scientists don't prove the argument that good looks are a sign of good genes but it seems like a reasonable suggestion, since it has been shown that many of the other factors that make people atrractive to members of the opposite sex are really signs that they will make good parents, and pass on good genes. Of course the argument is not that we consciously find people attractive because they look like good parents, but that Nature has progammed us to act that way. All this is a bit off topic, but never mind.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Пожалуйста, кто-то скажи мне, есть ли ошибки где-то.

Почтенный гражданин

I don't think a politician's looks play that much of a role... Berluskoni's preoccupation with his is ridiculous. When I choose a president I don't expect him to become my husband, you know. It is far more important how he/she behaves and speaks, and what he/she says. The offtopic here about politicians' looks has been mere joking.

ETA: Unfortunately, appearance may play a role in elections to a certain degree. It is known in sociology that
    In many cases, humans attribute positive characteristics, such as intelligence and honesty, to attractive people without consciously realizing it.
    As for the article, I'd say it's a bit questionable. Of course, appearance plays a role when choosing a partner but opinions vary so much as to what is beautiful and what is not... Some African tribes find it extremely attractive if a girl's neck has been stretched with metal rings for years and resembles a giraffe's neck. Or if their earlobes are hanging right to their shoulders...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_ring
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earlobe_stretching

In China, girls had to have their feet bound from the earliest years of their childhood so that they remained as small as possible. Their bones grew in a completely convoluted way. Sometimes their toes would decompose and fall off. And all for what? Why, some emperor said he likes small feet and so people started to belive it extremely beautiful.
    See here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding

Or see the "Russian Venus" by Kustodiev here -- http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A4%...sian_venus.jpg

Thus, beauty and health/strength/agility do not necessarily go hand in hand. Think the peacock and his tail -- it's all about showing off and impressing the peahen but does it make its bearer less vulnerable to predators? Or good at finding food?

Beautiful people are healthier and live longer, according to a study of sex appeal.
    Yes, perhaps, but that's only because of the society's attitude, which places so much value on looks and thus may make these feel better about their appearance while others might suffer from depression because they do not conform to the accepted standards of beauty of the day. This attitude is entirely wrong and discriminatory, if you ask me...

No one disputes that symmetrical faces, such as that of Kate Moss, are more attractive.
    I beg to differ, I don't find her attractive in the least. And she's known for her problems with drugs and alcohol from what I've heard. The same may be said about Britney Spears. Good looks don't necessarily make one into a good parent. Morals do!

Attractive partners are very far from being a good bet as potential husband/wives if their good looks aren't supported by some moral substance. Since they're likely to have crowds of suitors, they're more likely to commit adultery. "Сердце красавицы склонно к измене..." They're also more likely to have very high and unrealistic expectations of their prospective partners in life. Evidently, that above-mentioned female person -- khmmm... *cough*K.S*cough* -- has recently said that her requirements are so high that nothing less than a prince will satisfy her.

The wiki article on physical attraction sums up nicely the various issues related to what is perceived as beautiful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles
    Agreed, but voters are always influenced by irrelevant things like charm, charisma, and looks.
    In many cases, humans attribute positive characteristics, such as intelligence and honesty, to attractive people without consciously realizing it.
    Exactly.

Good looks don't necessarily make one into a good parent. Morals do!
    When I used the term "good parent" I didn't mean it in that sense.

]
    Of course, appearance plays a role when choosing a partner but opinions vary so much as to what is beautiful and what is not... Some African tribes find it extremely attractive if a girl's neck has been stretched with metal rings for years and reminds a giraffe's neck.
    That should be: RESEMBLES a giraffe's neck. Your last link stated that some desireable features are universal, others specific to a certain culture and some individual.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles
    That should be: RESEMBLES a giraffe's neck. Your last link stated that some desireable features are universal, others specific to a certain culture and some individual.
    Corrected.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Starrysky сказала ранее о русских писательницах. Александра Ишимова родилась в этот день ( 6 января, 1805 года). She wrote books for younger readers, including the prize winning "History of Russia in Stories for Children" which is still in print and presumably could be useful for people learning the language. As a writer, she was admired by Pushkin, and has the distinction of being his last correspondent: he wrote to her on the day of his fatal duel.

Read more in Russian:

http://www.elibron.com/russian/other....phtml_id=1126

or English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandra_Ishimova/

Александра Осиповна Ишимова
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678