Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: dialects

Завсегдатай
    You mean they are used to show stress? I never knew! Thanks, monichka.

As for Russian, the stress marks are not shown because it is assumed a Russian speaker instinctively knows where to put the stress. In words where the meaning is ambiguous without stress, there is usually a stress mark printed.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    As for Russian, the stress marks are not shown because it is assumed a Russian speaker instinctively knows where to put the stress.
    Yeah, just like English and, I guess, most other languages.

In words where the meaning is ambiguous without stress, there is usually a stress mark printed.
    I've never seen that. Could you give an example?
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    I've never seen that. Could you give an example?
    The words мука (flour) - мука (suffering) are usually printed with stress mark.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Старший оракул
    Hmmm .. I would have thought you could usually guess it from context

how about : мука - очень тяжёлая
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    how about : мука - очень тяжёлая
    My working class origin says to me about "flour". I imagine a 50 kg flour bag. Actually it depends on context, you are right. I never expect to see "sufferring" in a cooking recipe's book. But they usually print a stress mark in belletristic literature books.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Завсегдатай
    Belletristic literature! I must admit, this is one of the few times Russians have actually taught me new English words.

Почётный участник
    You mean they are used to show stress? I never knew! Thanks, monichka.

You are welcome!

As for Russian, the stress marks are not shown because it is assumed a Russian speaker instinctively knows where to put the stress. In words where the meaning is ambiguous without stress, there is usually a stress mark printed.
    Ay, ay ay! that is one reason why Russian is so difficult to learn for Spanish speaking people! Thanks Pravit!

Завсегдатай
    That is one reason why Russian is difficult to learn for all people, not just Spanish speakers

JJ
    Властелин
    Belletristic literature! I must admit, this is one of the few times Russians have actually taught me new English words.
    There is a wide used expression in Russian "художественная литература" or more formal "беллетристика". It includes novels, poems, stories, tales, sci-fiction... in another words all books for fun.

Завсегдатай
    I know the term художественная литература but I have never heard the term "belletristic literature" used in English, since "literature" is usually assumed to mean (художественная) литература unless the context would mean it is technical literature or something like that. However, using Lingvo to look up the meaning of "belletristic", I got "художественная литература", so you could say I learned the meaning of the English word from Russian

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    There is a wide used expression in Russian "художественная литература" or more formal "беллетристика". It includes novels, poems, stories, tales, sci-fiction... in another words all books for fun.
    It sounds like 'fiction' to me ... ? And indeed lingvo.yandex.ru gives беллетристика as one of the translations of 'fiction'.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

You said that russians don't use stress marks because they can just figure out where the stress is, but i think that is not true. In fact, when i was in russia this summer, some people told me that people from different social classes put the stress on different syllabes, and it is quite easy to spot people who did not receive a formal education just by listening to them and seeing where do they stress certain words.

Did anyone else hear about that?

by the way, i thinkl that the spanish way of writing words is the best one ever invented...you now how to read any single word, where the accent is...the word contains all the information you need to pronounce it....not like in english or russian...

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous

by the way, i thinkl that the spanish way of writing words is the best one ever invented...you now how to read any single word, where the accent is...the word contains all the information you need to pronounce it....not like in english or russian...
    Not all words have accent marks in Spanish. Also, one syllable words sometimes have accent marks.

Завсегдатай
    You said that russians don't use stress marks because they can just figure out where the stress is, but i think that is not true. In fact, when i was in russia this summer, some people told me that people from different social classes put the stress on different syllabes, and it is quite easy to spot people who did not receive a formal education just by listening to them and seeing where do they stress certain words.

Did anyone else hear about that?
    This is true for some common words like ложить and some others I can't remember now. But for most words, Russians can guess the stress correctly. Just like English speakers. Upon being presented a word they've never seen before, most English speakers, regardless of education level, can pronounce the word correctly and with the right stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи

Not all words have accent marks in Spanish. Also, one syllable words sometimes have accent marks.
    I'm spanish...i know that, believe me

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи

Accentuation rules in Spanish are very easy and just a few, if you learn them you may understand and diferentiate the meaning of words very easily. The thing is that when you write you must not to forget to write the accents. This is one problem the Russian and English speakers don

Завсегдатай
    Is preterito plusquamperfecto similar to something like "I had done something"? In other words, an action that happened in a past before the past that we're talking about?

Is preterito plusquamperfecto similar to something like "I had done something"? In other words, an action that happened in a past before the past that we're talking about?
    Yes! It is the past before just another past...it is easier to say the action than to describe it!

Почтенный гражданин
    ... This is true for some common words like ложить and some others I can't remember now. But for most words, Russians can guess the stress correctly. Just like English speakers. Upon being presented a word they've never seen before, most English speakers, regardless of education level, can pronounce the word correctly and with the right stress.
    Well I can remember that Gorby used to say ( and probably still does ) нАчать прИнять и углУбить ( instead of начАть, принЯть and углубИть )

Старший оракул
    Yes! It is the past before just another past...it is easier to say the action than to describe it!
    In English this is the "past perfect". We also used to use the term pluperfect, but it seems to have fallen out of usage.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast