Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please, correct my mistakes...

Here, I found the original in my web-mail box:

Банк вправе запрашивать у Клиента подтверждение передаваемого Банку Поручения и иного документа, в том числе факта его направления, его подписания указанным в нем лицом, полномочий такого подписавшего распоряжение лица. Банк вправе не принимать соответствующего Поручения или иного документа Клиента и (или) не совершать по нему каких-либо действий до получения удовлетворяющего его ответа на запрос от уполномоченного лица Клиента. Клиент предоставляет Банку список лиц, к которым Банк уполномочен обращаться в целях подтверждения полученных Поручений Клиента и которые уполномочены подтверждать соответствующие поручения, в форме письма, составленного в целом по форме, приведенной в Приложении 12. По общему правилу, такой список должен быть подписан лицом, указанным в имеющейся в Банке карточке с образцами подписей уполномоченных лиц Клиента (далее – Карточка), а также заверен указанной в такой Карточке печатью (если она указана в Карточке); такой список может быть подписан иным лицом только в случае, если Клиент предоставил Банку перечень лиц, уполномоченных подписывать такие списки, и при этом сам такой перечень подписан лицом, указанным в имеющейся в Банке Карточке Клиента, а также заверен указанной в такой Карточке печатью (если она указана в Карточке). Банк вправе требовать, чтобы подпись и соответствующие полномочия лица, подписавшего любой документ Клиента, представленный в Банк, была заверена лицом, указанным в имеющейся в Банке Карточке Клиента, и при отсутствии такого заверения вправе не принимать соответствующего документа.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Relax guys, I'm already done with the text. I'll post the original tonight when I get home, if you're interested.

As far as I understand the purpose of a legal translation, it has to bear a meaning as close to the original as possible. I don't have any "freedom" when translating. I must follow the exact meaning of the original.
    Dobry, you should be familiar with Russian legal language. As for me - legal English (and Russian) are not the most understandable languages.
    Personally, I suspect such wild "three-storey high" sentences come out of the desire of the author to look (and sound) important.
    We (lawyers) make documents difficult to read and understand for one simple reason... so that we can charge all of you big money!

Don't you guys know that!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    We (lawyers) make documents difficult to read and understand for one simple reason... so that we can charge all of you big money!

No, you do this in order to make any contract or law as cryptic and difficult to read as possible. If normal people were able to read all those 'hereinafters', 'forasmuches' and 'witnesseth's' without headache you (lawyers) would have to look for a more honest jobs... like politics or drug dealing, for example.

No, you do this in order to make any contract or law as cryptic and difficult to read as possible. If normal people were able to read all those 'hereinafters', 'forasmuches' and 'witnesseth's' without headache you (lawyers) would have to look for a more honest jobs... like politics or drug dealing, for example.
    ...or doctors (MD): try to read their prescriptions, etc.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian

They do that in Latin (or so I've heard).

Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian

They do that in Latin (or so I've heard).
    That's where "etc" comes in: I was talking about their writing in general, it is so hard to read whether they use Latin, or English
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12