Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with some terms and slang expressions

Властелин
    I can't think of a word-by-word translation. If you want to say that someone was соединён ниткой родства, then you say "they were of the same bloodline". I don't know how it can be тонкой, they are either related or not. Maybe "distant members of the same bloodline", or simply "distant relatives"?
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Почтенный гражданин
    А мне нравится. Тонкая нитка родства... Хорошо звучит. Но для перевода, наверно, лучше бы знать контекст. Gerty, как там у тебя вся фраза выглядит?

Почтенный гражданин
    Well, it sounds so unbelievably stiff and russian OK, that what I have done for this time:
    Life of an unremarkable guy turns upside down when he starts to have dreams about his previous life. And at the same time, in another city, a simple girl, working as a librarian, meets three very unusual people: a collector of ancient books, a creasy fortune hunter and a Buddhist monk. A тонкая нитка родства reaches out through time and space, through medieval wars and Stalin’s repressions, binding them together and linking them to the ancient treasure, which they unexpectedly inherited by birthright. For some people this treasure is a way to a mystic insight, for other – a part of the history of our country, and for rest – just a big amount of money. And nothing can stop all this people from taking possession of it or hiding it from mankind for ever.

Buddhism is inseparably linked with a history of Russia. The secrets Buddhist studies are passed from one generation to another. New ethnographic thriller of *** introduce us to unknown pages of history of our country and culture of Buddhism.

Жизнь простого парня переворачивается кверху дном, когда ему вдруг каждую ночь начинает сниться его прошлая жизнь. А за тысячи километров от него, в другом городе, к ничем не примечательной девушке-библиотекарю приходят три странных посетителя: собиратель старинных книг, сумасшедший авантюрист и буддийский монах. Тонкая ниточка родства тянется через века и страны, через средневековые войны и сталинские репрессии, связывая их друг с другом и с таинственным кладом, наследниками которого они, сами того не подозревая, являются по праву рождения. Для одних этот клад - мистическое прозрение и путь в нирвану, для других - частичка нашей истории, для третьих - впечатляющая сумма денег. И они не остановятся ни перед чем чтобы завладеть им - или чтобы навеки скрыть его от людских глаз.

Буддизм неразрывно связан с историей нашей страны. Тайны учения передаются из поколения в поколение. Еще один этнографический триллер *** знакомит читателей с неизвестными страницами истории России и культурой буддизма.
    Find your inner Bart!

Новичок
    капельница This is the thingie you all have seen many times in movies, if not in real life. It is vertical rack/pole to which a vessel(s) with some liquid for IV are fastened (like blood plasma, saline, glycose and vitamin solutions etc) in order to transfuse them at a slow, constant rate into the patient's system. I'd like to know how this thingie is actually called in US hospitals.
    It's also called an "IV drip"

Инфекционное отделение -- a section in a hospital, often an isolated building, where people with infectious diseases are kept to prevent the infection from spreading. Would "Isolation unit" be an appropriate translation?
    "quarantine"

What do you say when you think someone is asking for too much or makes unreasonable demands? In Russian we have expressions like "А рожа/попа у тебя не треснет?", "А может, тебе ещё ключ от квартиры, где деньги лежат?", "У, губищу раскатал, закатай обратно". All of them mean, basically, "I think you want (or are asking for) more than is reasonable". What would an Amercan say in such a case?
    A few days at work and I could come up with a lot more. Off the top of my head some phrases are...
    "Well I want a lot of things, it doesn't mean I get them."
    "Do I look like I am made out of money?"
    "What am I, a charity?"
    "Here's a quarter, call someone who cares."

рука в говне A rhyming reply (pretty rude) to the question "А мне"?
    For example, you are giving out something to a number of people--"This is for Yura, this is for Lena, this is for Oleg"--and leave one of them out. This last person can ask you "А мне?" ("and (what will you give) to me?"). If you feel mean and want hurt him/her, you can answer "У тебя рука в говне". In essence, you say "And you f*ck off". What do Amercan schoolboy/girls say in such a situation?
    "Sucks to be you" is one phrase that comes to mind.

Завсегдатай
    Thanks, Mr Radish!

ST
    а как сказать: "молодец, возьми с полки пирожок"?
    The bear looked at the car, and reflections of fire danced in his eyes. He knew what to do.

Завсегдатай
    Okay, here is a new batch. These are mostly colloquial/slang expressions, and I'd like to found colloquial English equivalents for them.

"Давай без церемоний!" It means something like "Let's lay off formalities". I'd like to know if there are some set colloquial phrases/expressions/idioms in American English that express the same idea.

"Выпить для храбрости" - the meaning is self-explanatory, but in Russian, it is a well-known set phrase. Anything similar in English?

"Не выделывайся" (this phrase has several ruder versions with the same meaning). It is used when someone puts on airs, or pretends to be modest/ashamed when s/he really isn't etc). E.g. "Пить будешь? - Да я, вообще-то, почти не пью, но... - Да ладно тебе, не выделывайся, пей раз наливают" or "Ну давай, рассказывай, что у тебя там с твой подругой было. -- Ну, мне как-то неловко при всех. -- Ладно, не выделывайся, тут все свои".

"Проколоться на чём-то" -- To get in trouble by doing something wrong. Often used in the question form of "На чём мы/вы/я прокололись?" E.g. a criminal who had commited an "ideal" crime and found out later that the cops are after him can ask himself: "На чём я прокололся?", meaning "What did I do wrong, what was my mistake that gave me away?"

Новичок

number 6

In the last lot, these days kids would so: "you've been punk'd", after a TV show that does this type of thing and calls it that.

Старший оракул
    "Проколоться на чём-то" -- To get in trouble by doing something wrong. Often used in the question form of "На чём мы/вы/я прокололись?" E.g. a criminal who had commited an "ideal" crime and found out later that the cops are after him can ask himself: "На чём я прокололся?", meaning "What did I do wrong, what was my mistake that gave me away?"
    I would say "How did you know it was me" or "how did you find me?"

I think this line is used at the end of Scooby Doo episodes, when they catch the bad guy. Then they tell their little story about how they knew it was him, then the bad guy traditionally says "And I would have gotten away with it if it werent for those meddling kids..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12