Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie "The Search For John Gissing" - help please!

Завсегдатай

Re: The movie "The Search For John Gissing" - help please!

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    I think nobody will mind if you go on with that movie sorting out thing.
    I hope so. Thank you. I really don't understand some things in the movie, uncluding some details of the plot.

Only I see that English native speakers here don't feel enthusiastic about my asking... And it seems like only few of them visit the "English for Russians" forum.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин

I listened to the next excerpt several times and here are my corrections:
    - All right good. All right. Let me just get our bearings.
    - I have to go to the bathroom.
    - Have to go to bathroom, you just went to the bathroom at Heathrow and you went on the plane.
    - You keeping a journal?
    - OK. OK, good. All right. We'll go this way. This is nice, huh? It's quaint!
    - Beautiful.
    - Look at this, look at this. Look at this lady. So typical
    - Stop it. (She whispers it so I am not 100% sure, but that is my best guess.)
    - British. Look at this. I love this.

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Only I see that English native speakers here don't feel enthusiastic about my asking... And it seems like only few of them visit the "English for Russians" forum.
    They are just sleeping. Time shift you know.

Почтенный гражданин

And what’s the most appropriate word for English speaking people by the way ? The English speaking?
    That is OK but it includes all people who speak English:
    first language
    noun
    Definition:
    1. native language:
    the language that somebody learned in infancy
    Encarta(R) World English Dictionary [North American Edition] (2007) http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/firs ... guage.html
    I think outside the United States people prefer to use the adjective "native", but here that can easily be confused with Native Americans, so I think Americans would say something like "people whose first language is English" or "English first language speakers" and other variations.
    Initially the term Indian was applied to the earliest inhabitants of the American continents because Columbus and other early European explorers, having arrived on North America's eastern coast, believed they had reached India by a new route. As a name thus applied in error by conquerors, Indian may well be regarded as insensitive or even offensive. Some of the people in question prefer to be called American Indian(s), but others prefer the term Native American(s), this last choice being the one least likely to cause offense. The use of Indian to mean "somebody from India" is perfectly acceptable.
    Encarta(R) World English Dictionary [North American Edition] (2007) http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/indian.html

Завсегдатай

They are just sleeping.
    Два дня подряд?

Time shift you know.
    На английском не только в Америке разговаривают.

Я не только про эту тему говорю. 90% из тех, кто просит помощи с русским в других разделах, или просто заходит на форум потрепаться, сюда просто никогда не заходит. А у тех, кто иногда заходит, видимо, денег на колонки нет.
    Человек, который помогает больше всех - это Ken, который даже ничего не просит в ответ (он не просит помощи с русским в других разделах).

Можно сказать, что я зануда, что я наглею и слишком многого требую, но я правда не понимаю, что тут такого сложного - послушать и записать пару предложений. У меня такое чувство, что я кого-то обкрадываю, когда прошу послушать какое-нибудь аудио или видео у носителей английского.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин

Можно сказать, что я зануда, что я наглею и слишком многого требую, но я правда не понимаю, что тут такого сложного - послушать и записать пару предложений. У меня такое чувство, что я кого-то обкрадываю, когда прошу послушать какое-нибудь аудио или видео у носителей английского.
    No, you are not a bore. You do not demand too much. You are very intelligent, and it is a pleasure to be of some assitance to you. The two film excerpts so far in this topic involve American actors. Maybe the other Americans on this forum just happen to be busy.

Старший оракул

Ken Watts – хороший человек, это правда. Но наши тоже много чего знают, тем более в Америке некоторые живут, так что без ответа твои вопросы не остаются всё равно.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Watts
    The two film excerpts so far in this topic involve American actors.
    There is a lot of British English in the movie, too. The main hero and his wife are Americans from Chicago, but everyone else in the film speaks British English; except a Frenchman who says "où" instead of "who".
    Okay, another excerpt please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L__a7JvXwU

- No, no. Uh... It was an awful mistake, it's what it was, Barnes. (....) definitely an error (....) to meet you.

This is John Gissing. At the London office. It's funny (....) things (....) can happen (....) world (....) hundreds of e-mail, faxes, (....) company (....) hardly enough, had never met or hardly even spoken to this very moment here.

(....) that you're coming in on your airport tomorrow evening. I'm really, Barnes... Truly, I... I can't tell you how dreadful I feel about all this.

- Did you get to hold of him?
    - Yep. He has just missed (..?) He feels dreadful.
    - Dreadful?
    - He does, he sick (why not "sicks"?) about it. (....)

Старший оракул

- No, no. Uh... It was an awful mistake; it's what it was, Barnes. It was definitely an error (... I might not let...) meet you. здесь не пойму

This is John Gissing of the London office. It's funny how things can happen in the modern world. He and I had treated hundreds of e-mails, faxes, and inter-company memos, yet hardly enough, had never met or hardly even spoken until this very moment here.

...travel arraignments and I had you coming in on your airport tomorrow evening. I'm really, Barnes... Truly, I... I can't tell you how dreadful I feel about all this.

- Did you get a hold of him?
    - Yep. It was just a mix-up. He feels dreadful.
    - Dreadful?
    - He does, he’s sick about it. He wants us come right over to the office, get the keys to the house. He’s gonna take us out there.

- No, no. Uh... It was an awful mistake; it's what it was, Barnes. It was definitely an error on my part... I might not let...) meet you. здесь не пойму

This is John Gissing of the London office. It's funny how things can happen in the modern world. He and I had treated hundreds of e-mails, faxes, and inter-company memos, yet oddly enough, had never met or hardly even spoken until this very moment here.

...travel arraignments and I had you coming in on your airport tomorrow evening. I'm really, Barnes... Truly, I... I can't tell you how dreadful I feel about all this.

- Dreadful?
    - He does, he’s sick about it. He wants us come right over to the office, get the keys to the house. He’s gonna take us out there.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

...Человек, который помогает больше всех - это Ken, который даже ничего не просит в ответ ...
    Даже обидно как-то.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Старший оракул

...Но наши тоже много чего знают, тем более в Америке некоторые живут,...
    I thought you were the one

That oddly enough is a great relief yet this line - Barnes. It was definitely an error on my part... I might not let...) meet you – remains to be vague to me

Почтенный гражданин

Just a few more corrections:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    - No, no. Uh... It was an awful mistake; is what it was, Barnes. And definitely an error on my part not being there to meet you.

This is John Gissing of the London office. It's funny how things can happen in the modern world. He and I had traded hundreds of e-mails, faxes, and inter-company memos, yet oddly enough, had never met or hardly even spoken until this very moment here.

...travel arrangements and I had you coming in on your own accord tomorrow evening. I'm really, Barnes... Truly, I... I can't tell you how dreadful I feel about all this.

- Dreadful?

Завсегдатай

Thank you, guys!
    Here's the next one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zmR2xOtBoM

- Honey, but we don't have any pounds for ... (блин, че за "стак"? послушала раз тридцать)
    - What stu(??...)? We just don't have pounds yet. It was (...) Gissing about pounds!
    - Well, but maybe you could just remind him? But it was his idea for us to get only ten pounds at the airport. The same, airport he didn't (take?) (...)
    - No. What he said was that airport exchange (...) and we can use my ATM card at any corner in London (...)
    - Any corner (I hear "corder" anyway) except this one?

Почтенный гражданин

- Honey, we don't have any pounds, we're stuck.
    - We're not stuck. We just don't have pounds yet. I wasn't about to whine to Gissing about pounds!
    - Well, then maybe you could just remind him that it was his idea for us to get only ten pounds at the airport. The same airport he didn't pick us up at. (She just empahsizes "same" and does not pause as a comma would indicate.)
    - No. What he said was the airport exchange booths are a ripoff and we can use my ATM card on any corner in London and get a better rate.
    - Any corner (I hear "corder" anyway) except this one? (Yes, I hear that too, or "quarter".)

Завсегдатай

Thanks a lot, Ken!

Here's another excerpt please:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNgmqh3SWbs

- Hi, how are you doing? We're going to "" (I can't understand the company name).
    - 26, B(loomsbury?) street.
    - You have the knowledge, right? The knowledge, I love that! I've read about that! (...British cabmen..?), I love that... Listen, I've got for you (here?) American money, OK?
    - American money...
    - Yeah. This is (....) thirty dollars, that's 18 pounds, would you like a (....) how's that?
    - (Say, it's?) (....)
    - The knowledge!..
    - The knowledge.

- What are you doing? Why is he turning in here? Why are you turning in here?
    - (....) (25, Bloomsbury Street?) And this is my mobile number. (....) you (....) call me (....)

I actually didn't get at all the episode with the "knowledge"... What does "I love that! I've read about that!" mean? Read about what? Knowledge? Well, maybe, knowledge of London. But... "read about that"?.. I don't get it.
    Even if it is a knowledge of London, I don't understand his rapture - aren't there in Chicago taxi drivers who know Chicago well?

- Hi, how are you doing? We're going to Compu court
    - 26, B(loomsbury?) street.
    - You have the knowledge, right? The knowledge, I love that! I've read about that! (...British cabmen..?), I love that... Listen, I've got to pay you American money, OK?
    - American money...
    - Yeah. This is what.. thirty dollars, that's 18 pounds, we'll do like a flat rate deal. How's that?
    - (Say, it's?) (....)
    - The knowledge!..
    - The knowledge.

- This is it right? 25, Bloomsbury Street? And this is my mobile number. (....) you (....) call me any time I am a big fan of yours. Right dude

Старший оракул

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    - Hi, how are you doing? We're going to Compu court
    - 26, Bloomsbury street.
    - You have the knowledge, right? The knowledge, I love that! I read about that! (...British cabbies), I love that... Listen, I gotta pay you with American money, OK?
    - American money...
    - Yeah. This is what.. thirty dollars, that's 18 pounds, we'll do like a flat rate deal. How's that?
    - Suites (.... ),mate. (mate - a typical form of address in UK). In you get!
    - The knowledge!..
    - The knowledge.
    - This is it, mate, 25, Bloomsbury Street? And ..eh, this is my mobile number. , and you can call me any time 'cause I’m a big fan of your flat-rate deal

Старший оракул

I actually didn't get at all the episode with the "knowledge"... What does "I love that! I've read about that!" mean? Read about what? Knowledge? Well, maybe, knowledge of London. But... "read about that"?.. I don't get it.
    Even if it is a knowledge of London, I don't understand his rapture - aren't there in Chicago taxi drivers who know Chicago well?
    Take a look at this:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpar...hire/1412.aspx

Старший оракул

... (блин, че за "стак"? послушала раз тридцать)
    застряли, влипли, приплыли
    stick (stuck, stuck)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast