Thread: Help me, pls, it's urgent! Only one phrase

Почтенный гражданин

Help me, pls, it's urgent! Only one phrase

Hi, guys!

Can I say that the multicultural TV station "is developing the Russian segment in the programming"? Meaning they recently started to make shows about russians and in Russian language (and they already have a bunch in Italian, Greek, German etc.). How to put it nicely?

Appreciate your input.
    Find your inner Bart!

Maybe this sounds better?

The multicultural TV channel is developing a Russian segment in their programming
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Maybe this sounds better?

The multicultural TV channel is developing a Russian segment in their programming
    So "Russian segment in the programming" is basically OK?

"I have learned that your station was developing a Russian segment in the programming" - does it sound good?

You see, I coudn't google this phrase "a segment in the programming" and so I thought may be it have to be the different words?
    Find your inner Bart!

Maybe this would sound better then:

I have learned that your station is developing a Russian segment in your program.

or

It has come to my attention that your station is developing a Russian segment to your program

Почтенный гражданин
    I have sent you a PM with the whole text. Could you please look at it?
    Find your inner Bart!

Почётный участник
    I don't know. It still feels a little unnatural (a lot of English, even if it's right, "sounds" funny to a native ear). I think this might be better:

I heard that your station is developing a Russian segment for its programming.

I still don't know, though. The whole "in the programming/for its programming/etc." sounds a little funny. I don't really know how to make it sound any better, though.

Well, if you say the phrase to anyone, they aren't going to react to it. Only if you are particulary looking to correct it or find a better variant...

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Тостер
    I don't know. It still feels a little unnatural (a lot of English, even if it's right, "sounds" funny to a native ear). I think this might be better:

I heard that your station is developing a Russian segment for its programming.

I still don't know, though. The whole "in the programming/for its programming/etc." sounds a little funny. I don't really know how to make it sound any better, though.
    I'd say (not a native speaker, as you know) "I heard that your station is developing a segment in Russian and/or about Russia."

-- BTW, In Australia, SBS television has Russian broadcast 6 days a week - about half an hour of NTV news. They broadcast in the morning when I am at work, can't What's it like in Canada, Gerty, with news in Russian? Are there Russian language news, programs in the US?
    Anatoli - Анатолий - أناتولي - 阿纳托利 - アナトーリー - 아나톨리

Почётный участник
    Not to my knowledge, but we don't really have a large enough Russian population to justify it. As a matter of fact, I can count the number of Russian people I have met in my hometown area on my fingers. It might be different up north, though (I live in the state of Georgia, which is right above Florida, the southern-most state, other than Texas I guess).

You can get Russian TV on satellite... that is AFAIK what local Russian do, if the desire is great.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Тостер
    Not to my knowledge, but we don't really have a large enough Russian population to justify it. As a matter of fact, I can count the number of Russian people I have met in my hometown area on my fingers. It might be different up north, though (I live in the state of Georgia, which is right above Florida, the southern-most state, other than Texas I guess).
    Just a note: What I meant by Russian TV in Australia - it's not made in Australia it's just broadcast here. NTV (НТВ) is one of the Russian TV Channels.

I am sure Russian or Russian immigrants in the US outnumber those in Australia. New Yourk's Brighton Beach is one famous region where Russian Jews settled, these days not only Jews. When Russian artists (musicians) travel to US, they usually justify the trip (they get enough audience). I don't know much about the distribution but I am sure big cities like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago will have a lot of Russians. Maybe they have cable TV in Russian only in the cities where there are more Russian immigrants. Can you see programs from Russia in the US?

As for Canada, Russians make a good percentage of immigrants (Ukrainians surpass but this can change). Still waiting fro Gerty to reply (or someone else from Canada).

Почтенный гражданин
    [quote=Анатолий]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Тостер":1nwgpdjv
    Still waiting fro Gerty to reply (or someone else from Canada).
    [/quote:1nwgpdjv]

I have no idea. Sure, people get somehow the Russian channels from Russia (I always see them on TV when I go to my hairdresser or to the consulate). But how do people get these - no idea. Canadian TV, in my knowlege, doesn't have programms in Russian.
    Find your inner Bart!

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Анатолий
    I am sure Russian or Russian immigrants in the US outnumber those in Australia. New Yourk's Brighton Beach is one famous region where Russian Jews settled, these days not only Jews. When Russian artists (musicians) travel to US, they usually justify the trip (they get enough audience). I don't know much about the distribution but I am sure big cities like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago will have a lot of Russians. Maybe they have cable TV in Russian only in the cities where there are more Russian immigrants. Can you see programs from Russia in the US?

As for Canada, Russians make a good percentage of immigrants (Ukrainians surpass but this can change). Still waiting fro Gerty to reply (or someone else from Canada).
    I am not Gerty, yet I have an idea. There is a different attitude towards immigration/immigrants in the US on one side and Canada/Australia on the other. You have probably heard/read on bumper stickers "I'm proud to be an American" more often than "I'm proud to be a Canadian/Australian". I visited Australia only briefly (though officially I was once an Australian resident), so I can only say for Canada: people keep calling themselves Italians, Greek, Indian, etc. even if they were born in Canada, they are not ashamed of their origin. In the US you become an American the second you get a green card. From that moment on what do you need the Russian language for?
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Почтенный гражданин
    Thanks for replies, guys. There are people like this in Australia, they don't care about their origin when they get the Australian citizenship.

We are not getting obsessed with watching too much Russian news here but we speak Russian at home and talk only Russian with kids, making sure they can communicate with us, read, write and speak.