Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By iCake
  • 1 Post By iCake
  • 1 Post By Боб Уайтман

Thread: Simple Russian Phrases. Could you please check.

Simple Russian Phrases. Could you please check.

Привет друзья!

1-Сегодня утром я сначала помыл лицо и патом почистил зубы. - This morning I first washed my face and later brushed my teeth.

2-Днём я пошёл покупки и купил овощы и фрукты. - In the afternoon I went shopping and bought vegitables and fruits.

3-Подождите минуточку меня здесь пожалуйста! Я буду быстро возвращаться. - Wait me here for a minute please. I will come back quick.

4-Она ждете меня в ресторане. Поэтому я должен бегать туда. - She waits me at the restaurant. Therefore I must run fast.

5- Мы уехал в отпуск в Россиию до пятницы. - We left for a tour at Russia untill friday.

Спасибо огромное за время, потраченное проверку фразы!
    Иди и учи русский!

Сегодня утром я сначала умылся, а потом почистил зубы - Note: умыл лицо is totally understandable but we don't usually speak like that we just use умываться for that.

Днём я сходил за покупками и купил овощи и фрукты

Подождите минуточку меня здесь пожалуйста! Я скоро вернусь

Она ждет меня в ресторане. Поэтому я должен бежать (туда) Note: in this case бежать туда sounds as if you're going to run there quite literally when бежать just means you have to get there fast.

Мы уехали в отпуск в Россию до пятницы

Спасибо огромное за время, потраченное на проверку фраз!
    impulse likes this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Подающий надежды оратор Heterocera's Avatar
    Добавлю пару исправлений:
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse View Post
    Привет, друзья!
    3-Подождите меня здесь минуточку/минутку, пожалуйста!
    4-Поэтому я должен бежать/мне пора бежать.
    "Tour" means "отпуск"? "Путешествие"/"тур" is better, isn`t it?
    Здравствуйте! Мы — наши туристы, отстали от группы. Подбросьте нас до города, а там мы как-нибудь уже сами! Переводи.

Thanks,

@iCake:

So the verb pair for "to wash" is "мыться/умыться" ?
    if I write "сходил покупками" instead of "сходил за покупками" is it wrong? And why "сходил" and not just "ходил"?
    what is wrong about "Я буду быстро возвращаться."? why you wrote "Я скоро вернусь". My version is unintelligible?

@Heterocera: If I am not mistaken "отпуск" is an organized tour. However, I do not know if "Путешествие"/"тур" means something so different.
    Иди и учи русский!

So the verb pair for "to wash" is "мыться/умыться"?

мыться is to wash your whole body, умыться is to wash your face

if I write "сходил покупками" instead of "сходил за покупками" is it wrong? And why "сходил" and not just "ходил"?

сходил покупками is wrong. Покупками is a noun so it can't describe the verb directly. So you need to add something between them such as a preposition in this case
    сходил за покупками - literally - went for some commodities.
    сходил за покупками or ходил за покупками doesn't matter in your case. Both would fit in nicely

what is wrong about "Я буду быстро возвращаться."? why you wrote "Я скоро вернусь". My version is unintelligible?
    Well, everything is wrong with your original phrase here. It doesn't work for this particular situation. First of all, you need a perfective verb there because it's a one time action, you will return there only once, and also the action is not in the process. As for быстро/скоро. I guess you could have said "Я быстро вернусь" but it just doesn't sound good at all.

@Heterocera: If I am not mistaken "отпуск" is an organized tour. However, I do not know if "Путешествие"/"тур" means something so different.

Отпуск is that special prolonged time (usually a month) you get once a year to rest from all the tiredness you job brings along and still get payed through that time This thing is a law.
    impulse likes this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

iCake, спасибо. Я со словарным запасом из трёх с половиной английских слов так и не смогла сформулировать, что же такое отпуск.
    Здравствуйте! Мы — наши туристы, отстали от группы. Подбросьте нас до города, а там мы как-нибудь уже сами! Переводи.

Thanks iCake;

So it correct to to say Я буду скоро возвращаться in a stuation like I went to Holland for a vacation and will return to my home country Turkey soon? Я буду скоро возвращаться в Турцию из Голландии.?
    Иди и учи русский!

You can use "буду возвращаться" for repetitive actions:
    Я буду возвращаться снова и снова.
    Теперь я буду возвращаться с работы в семь часов.
    if you return from Holland only once, its wrong.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse View Post
    So it correct to to say Я буду скоро возвращаться in a stuation like I went to Holland for a vacation and will return to my home country Turkey soon? Я буду скоро возвращаться в Турцию из Голландии.?
    Actually, your phrase IS possible. But there is a nuance when to use which.

The imperfective aspect in Russian has two basic meanings:
    1) repetitive action, as Heterocera noted (буду возвращаться = will return, again and again);
    2) a single action being viewed in its process. Other words, when you focus on the action itself (not on its result), you use imperfective.

Applying meaning 2) to the phrase "Я буду скоро возвращаться в Турцию из Голландии.", it can be understood as "I will be soon on my way back from Holland to Turkey". So, you focus on the action in its process. Below are some examples to illustrate when it is appropriate:

Example 1. Your friend asked you where he could find a cheap whisky. Assume, it is expensive in your country (as in Russia ). But you know, duty free shops have it cheaper. You reply to your friend:
    - Я буду скоро возвращаться в Турцию из Голландии. И я могу купить тебе хороший дешёвый виски в дьюти-фри.

Example 2. I gave you a book to read. It is interesting, but you are so busy with your work that you cannot find a time to read it. Suddenly you went to a business trip to Holland. Then you say:
    - Я буду скоро возвращаться в Турцию из Голландии. Наконец-то, у меня будет время дочитать твою книгу в самолёте. (Finally, I will have time to finish reading your book in the plane).

But when you focus on the result of a single action, you need perfective.

Example 3. Your girlfriend calls you while you are in Holland, and she says she is missing you.
    Then you reply:
    - Я скоро вернусь в Турцию из Голландии. (И мы увидимся). - Here, you focus on the final point of the action, you view the action as a single whole.

And surely, in your example as you wrote (Подождите минуточку меня здесь пожалуйста! Я буду быстро возвращаться.) it should be "Я скоро вернусь" instead. The key point here is you will be BACK soon, not the fact you will be ON YOUR WAY BACK.
    And "быстро" more likely means "quickly/fast" rather than "soon". So, what you actually wrote was:

"Wait a minute for me here, please! I will be moving back fast"
    impulse likes this.

Thanks Bob.
    Иди и учи русский!