Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Quickest possible way to star speaking russian?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    The problem with me is that I'm a perfectionist. If I start learning grammar I'll get obsessed with it and waste time trying to learn every little detail!
    The problem with being "obsessed" with grammar is not that it's a waste of time learning the details, but that you become so afraid of making a grammar mistake that you're shy about speaking and writing Russian. But look at it this way: If an ESL speaker says "I'm going at supermarket" -- instead of "to the supermarket" -- absolutely every native speaker of English will understand the meaning, in spite of the mistakes. (And English speakers who've studied other languages will be very sympathetic, because they know from experience that little words like prepositions can be notoriously difficult.)

Still, you obviously need SOME grammar, such as the rules for forming the tenses of regular verbs. (You'll still screw up the irregular verbs, but guess what -- young Russian kids do that, too, just like English-speaking children say "writed" and "buyed", but adults will generally know what the kids are trying to say.) So, in the beginning, there's no getting around a certain amount of rote memorization and recitation of past and present verbs, or the six case endings of "type 2" feminine nouns, or the conjugations of easily confusable verbs like "lie" and "lay" or "sit" and "set" (which, alas, are just as much of a headache in Russian as in English, if not worse!).

The good news, on the other hand, is that once you've absorbed some of the basic patterns, you'll no longer have to worry about rote-memorizing 12 different forms (i.e., six cases, singular and plural) for every new noun you learn. You'll just go, "aha, this noun is masculine and it behaves like the masculine nouns I've already learned."
    Lampada and maxmixiv like this.
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    The problem with being "obsessed" with grammar is not that it's a waste of time learning the details, but that you become so afraid of making a grammar mistake that you're shy about speaking and writing Russian.
    One motto I recommend: Never be embarrassed because you sound just like a Russian version of Tonto, Tarzan, and Frankenstein...

https://screen.yahoo.com/seasons-gre...000000685.html

"Bread gooooooood! Fire baaaaaaad!"
    Lampada likes this.
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2yVLxOFVg

Рекомендую. Субтитри тоже по-русски. Мне нравится.

"ШИКАРНЫЙ ВИД!"

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    One motto I recommend: Never be embarrassed because you sound just like a Russian version of Tonto, Tarzan, and Frankenstein...

https://screen.yahoo.com/seasons-gre...000000685.html

"Bread gooooooood! Fire baaaaaaad!"
    Haha, duely noted!

What do you think of pimsleur by the way? Is it worth the time?

So far I've got a russian course for beginners and the Blackwell grammar book to get through this summer. I feel like if I can absorb all the information from both books, I'll be in a very good position!

My plan is to visit Ukraine (Odessa) or Moscow in October if my russian is up to par, so there's my motivation

Подающий надежды оратор
    Also, right now what's confusing me most is knowing which "starting words to use"

E.g. Какой, каки, что, etc. they all mean what, but I don't know why you would use one over another.

Какой, каки, что, etc. they all mean what, but I don't know why you would use one over another.
    When to use Что это vs. Какой? - Russian Language Questions and Answers
    fortheether likes this.

jim
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post

"ШИКАРНЫЙ ВИД!"
    шикарный фильм

jim
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Also, right now what's confusing me most is knowing which "starting words to use"

E.g. Какой, каки, что, etc. they all mean what, but I don't know why you would use one over another.
    not really, they not all mean what.
    какой means what kind
    что is what

что это is basically sorter version of what is it, except is is not written or used at all. russian is weird that way that is is not always said. which is why you often find people say in english way for swag or something or may be english lessons ie это не есть хрошо, whereas the traditional normal way of saying is without есть. also есть in russian not only means is but also eating. whereas in english you always use is, otherwise it would sond like it good, but you shorten is a lot like it’s good.
    which in russian language we don’t do. i don’t think russian shorten any words. may be i am mistaken, someone may correct me on that.

jim
    Подающий надежды оратор

"ШИКАРНЫЙ ВИД!"
    шикарное видео
    шикарный видик

Подающий надежды оратор
    Thanks for the clarification! Do you guys think pimsleur is worth doing? It takes quite a long time and I feel like I can learn more just reading a book.

"...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    шикарный фильм
    Это не была ошибка, но "шикарный вид" - любимая фраза Мишки Япончикa в этот телесериал.

Вот:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...yVLxOFVg#t=839

Подающий надежды оратор
    I appreciate you guys speaking russian but I have no idea what you're saying (although I wish i did!) and it's not adding to the thread

jim
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Это не была ошибка, но "шикарный вид" - любимая фраза Мишки Япончикa в этот телесериал.

Вот:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...yVLxOFVg#t=839
    ya he wasn’t talking about a movie, about his clothes he was talking about.

lol, it’s alright, not sure how accurate that would be if it is said about a movie, this would be more like new slang rather than anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12