Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How & Why Did You Start To Learn Russian ?

mike
    Yes, and speaking of politics that is the problem with English being a universal language. The purpose of universal theory is that there is a language free of any politics or ideology and is 100% diplomatic. By the way, they tried to simplify English to make it a universal language in the early 20th century. It was called Basic English and consisted of about 800 words. Churchill was fond of promoting it. Orwell wrote a book parodying it--maybe you heard of it. His was called Newspeak.

A
    Подающий надежды оратор

Hi,
    did not expect such lively discussion on my joke of the future language for all.
    First, all you should know it is human to try to predict the future, to the best of their contemporary knowledge, of course.
    Second and final, no one yet has been able to predict the future. Never before and never all the time ahead. It is just one of fundamentals of the incomprehensible Nature and one of a few things the humanity has been able to learn, up to the date.
    May it will change. May not. At present nobody does not know nothing about it.
    Just look how people live. They send ships to the nearby space and are not able to prevent stupid wars and feed hungry. Saying that, I meant that we cannot organize our societies. I don't mention even that United States can't adopt common Road Rules for all their States. What are we talking a possible future language?
    United States still use archaic Imperial measurement system. Still!!
    Why did I leash out at the US? 'coz it's most powerful and advanced English speaking country. And, as a Russian would say, it not only can't give a head to itself, but manages to stir up trouble to others. And here is no any credible and sustainable light ahead.
    By the way, when an American Embassy's consul, during an interview in Moscow, was asked about some aspects of America's future, he open-heartedly replied,"No one can predict a person's future, so what to say about a whole country?"

Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by piehunt
    Aaa,
    Nope, you not wrong, its just the way it is. And the way it will be in the future. Still i think it would be nice for every English speaking person to know at least one other language.
    We English could also learn "American"!

A
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    What are the two letters in English I am forgetting? A-Z is only 26.
    I gave two extra to flatter English speaking populace

mike
    Well, I think English should have diphthongs for the ai and ei sounds. There's the two missing letters.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Well, I think English should have diphthongs for the ai and ei sounds. There's the two missing letters.
    Don't forget about 2 "th" sounds, "ch"-sound and "sh"-sound.

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    Don't forget about 2 "th" sounds, "ch"-sound and "sh"-sound.
    Ch and sh are pretty well represented by "ch" and "sh". (Tough these groups could be used always.) As for "th", we could certainly use two symbols for two sounds...

Старший оракул
    I mean voiced th as in "the" and unvoiced th as in "throw"

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    I mean voiced th as in "the" and unvoiced th as in "throw"
    That's what I said. It wouldn't be bad to write "dhe", "dhem", etc. But it would only solve 1% of the spelling problems of English.

mike
    Personally, I like the "th" sound in English. I don't know why it isn't in more languages.

Aaa
    Почётный участник
    If you want to get technical, and want a letter per sound in english:

CONSONANTS :

b,d,f,hard-g,h,k,l,m,n,p,r,s,t,v,w,y,z all standard

qu (kw): a letter for a sound not necessary, could always use k-w

sh: necessary

ch: not necessary, could be written as t-sh

soft-th: thin

hard-th: though

zh: necessary

j = d-zh: not necessary

glottal stop: not necessary for English, could just pronounce carefully the t's in words like kitten

x: could use k-s

ng: necessary

ng-k: don't forget about this one: "think". not necessary, though.

VOWELS:

aeh: cat

ah: got, stop

oo: smooth

oo with a caret on top: book

eh: get

ee: lean

oh: boat

aw: law

uh: bug

ih: sit

dipthongs:

ow (how) ay (hay) iy (hide) oi (boy) ar (car) er (bird) eer (steer) or (bore) ure (lure)

Did I forget any?

Подающий надежды оратор

My reason

I began to read Russian litearture on my own time and I instantly fell in love with Anna Karenina (Hence the nickname). I began wondering what it was like living in Russia back then, began to become fascinated by the royal tragedy, and began eating the food of the culture. (Can't say I'm too thrilled about that.) I listened to folk music, and than many popular artists today like t.A.T.u and Zemfira. And now I wanted to learn the language. I am completely inthrilled with the culture, and will begin to study there next summer in St. Petersburg. (Another way to learn a language is to go to a school that teaches it!)

---Sara

Почётный участник

Anyways

i think this board is getting a little . I started to learn Russian because i wanted a challenge. Sure I take Spanish and I am also learning German on my own. But Spanish is a breeze and German isnt much harder. I wanted a challenge. I have a fascination with languages. Its kinda weird you know. Along with going out with friends, sports, kayaking, backpacking, etc. as hobbies... i learn languages. But any way about the challenge part. Russian can expand you mind and can improve your memorization because of all the cases and declanations. But Russian sounds a little primative when it is directly translated into english. For example: In english we say "This is a book" but in Russian you say "Это книга" which is "This (is a) book". Sounds kinda caveman-ish doesnt it?
    Agnus Dei, quitol lis pecata mundi. Miserere nobis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123