Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How & Why Did You Start To Learn Russian ?

Новичок
    hmmmm....I started Russian because, well I liked it. The way it sounded, the history of the culture, and also because I always have to do the thing no one else does and no one else is taking russian in middle school. French and spanish are sooooooo easy and boring I always liked doing the hard thing so Russian was just perfect. I also really liked the group taty so it made me want to learn it even more and now I just love russian, but I do speak french and some spanish.

Новичок
    Just registered, first post!

It's been a language I've thought about learning for several years, and as I'm interested in space travel I'm already familiar with words like "Спутник", "Восток", "Союз" and "Мир" (but didn't know how to spell them properly ).

Well, recently, a certain pop duo has come to my attention (вы знаете кто! ) and upon hearing their songs in Russian I've been checking out some other Russian music, and it's kicked me into actually starting to learn.

Fortunately I know somone who's Russian, which is a Хорошо Thing.
    m.A.T.t.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    I got intrested in Ladas, and then intrested in russia. That was about 11 years ago. I still haven't learnt much russian, and stuff, but I've steped up my effots a little. I have recently found a russian social club in Perth, and I'm not sure, but I think that they ether do, or are trying to get russian lessons started on sundays.

If I have to drive down there twice amonth to learn I will. It's 600km's away though.
    I hate Signatures

Aaa
    Почётный участник
    I already speak English, can get by in Spanish. Those are the two languages most useful for travel.

Next would probably be Russian or French. Russian seemed fun, especially with all the backwards letters.

Завсегдатай
    god i cant freakin help it, i love teaching people, any newbies who just really want to learn and arn't gunna give up on me (like so many people in the past) after a few days, please, let me know. i get a kick out of teaching people, and i always learn somthing new too, so please, if ur interested, lemme know.

why i started russian

1. behind every boy learning russian is a russian girl
    2. "я люблю русский размер"
    3. needed a reason to live

ok пока
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

mike
    Man, sometimes I think I must be the only person on this forum not learning Russian because of my spouse.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    The lada isn't my spouse, mind you they chew up money like a woman though. If you let them, or if your a perfectionist like my self (Note to perfectionists, the only car you can buy and be happy with is a Volvo).

Out of curiosity, why did you start learning Mike? I know you have told us before, but I can't remember, cause it's like 10:20pm right now.
    I hate Signatures

mike
    Well, I know I'm not the only one, it just seems like it sometimes reading the posts from the newbies. As odd as it sounds, I honestly don't remember why I started. I think I just wanted to learn a language that didn't use the Latin alphabet. Plus I had read a lot of Russian books, like Взаимная помощь, Братья Карамазовы, and Бог и государство and was curious about reading them in Russian.

Подающий надежды оратор
    BTW Lada is Russian female name.
    There is a song about a woman with this name:

Хмуриться не надо, Лада!
    Хмуриться не надо, Лада!
    Для меня твой смех награда, Лада!
    Даже если станешь бабушкой,
    Всё равно ты будешь Ладушкой,
    Для меня ты будешь Ладушкой, Лада!

So, if your Lada will behave badly you can tell her "Хмуриться не надо, Лада!"

I have got the Lada, too. VAZ 2109

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    The nivas (vaz 2121) do it hard out here in the Australia out back, but they keep going.
    I hate Signatures

A
    Подающий надежды оратор
    I was compelled to learn Russian many years ago, in order to survive the harsh Russian life.
    I agree with many of the previous speakers that the phonetic and writing systems are rather simple and understandable, unlike the English ones.
    Just an analysis of Eng.: Eng. has 44 sounds and 28 letters(only!). Eng. has absolutely outmoded grammar/spelling system, and there's no attempt in sight to improve it.
    The above is not an offense against Eng., it's just observation.
    So, considering all the said, it took me only a few decades to MASTER RUSSIAN.
    Also, the Russian songs tend to be more melodic and they rhyme much better than Eng - on an average.
    I like Russian, and distinctly spoken English, too.
    But, I think the future language of the planet will be a cross between English and Chinese.
    Am I wrong, dear fellows?

Властелин
    But, I think the future language of the planet will be a cross between English and Chinese. Am I wrong, dear fellows?
    I hope the future language of the planet is something similar to the wonderfully ideosycratic and quirky English you use I'm not joking or "having a go at you" either, I genuinely enjoy reading your posts.

mike
    What are the two letters in English I am forgetting? A-Z is only 26.

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    Oh, you forgot about these two:
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

Завсегдатай
    well, not all of us live in the wonderfull video game world of sweden were u can jsut go around making up alphabets whenever and however you please.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Увлечённый спикер
    [quote=V]Oh, you forgot about these two:

mike
    No, they aren't.

Aaa
    Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by A
    But, I think the future language of the planet will be a cross between English and Chinese.
    Am I wrong, dear fellows?
    Yes, you're wrong. English itself is the "lingua franca", and will remain so. Esperanto is dead.

If the universalists want a universal and relatively rule-based language, the only one they could actually sell to the world would have to be English-based. Simplify the spelling, simplify most of the grammar (with a few important irregular verbs).

Make it something native English-speakers could still understand, and learn with minimal effort. Face it, the economic domination of the world is English. USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, UK, South Africa, India all have it as an official language, and it's taught almost everywhere else. That's 1/4 of the world population, and over 1/3 of the world economy.

Am I wrong, dear fellows?[/quote]

Почётный участник
    Aaa,
    Nope, you not wrong, its just the way it is. And the way it will be in the future. Still i think it would be nice for every English speaking person to know at least one other language.
    Подающий надежды оратор
    just because US is huge right now doesn't mean english will be universal forever. I bet the interest in the language will decrease by a great deal when some other country takes USA's place. But here we are, going into politics.
    Митьки никого не хотят победить!
    Совсем никого не хотят победить!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast