Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Regarding Russian in the Baltic States

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Huh? The Russian-speaking people in Latvia constitute the minority. That saying you mentioned should actually work the other way around.
    Minorities happen to become majorities, especially when treated like they never could.

Почтенный гражданин
    One funny thing that I heard several times was that each person spoke in his own language.
    Like this
    GUSTAVO/Влади "No lupam lasi - глупо, но класс" - YouTube
    I speak to my landlord like that all the time. And resort to russian ONLY when she does not understand anything at all what i'm saying (happens quite often).
    Person who owns at least two apartments here is not a tourist and should know local language.
    The Russian-speaking people in Latvia constitute the minority.
    They are not a minority in largest cities.
    In Rīga and Daugavpils you can easily live using only Russian.

And about tourists:
    It is simple - If someone asks me if I understand his language - I will assume that he is a tourist.
    Otherwise I will assume that he is a local and answer in Latvian.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Minorities happen to become majorities, especially when treated like they never could.
    Well, that happens, but is this illegal or contradicts the EU agenda?

Властелин
    They are not a minority in largest cities.
    In Rīga and Daugavpils you can easily live using only Russian.
    And their language is considered foreign.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    And their language is considered foreign.
    In Moscow - Tajik, Uzbek, Armenian, Georgian languages also are considered foreign, don't you mind it?

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Romik View Post
    In Moscow - Tajik, Uzbek, Armenian, Georgian languages also are considered foreign, don't you mind it?

So, you're Russian, but don't pretty much like Moscow, right? =)

PS. I'm NOT getting personal, just curious.

Властелин
    Well, that happens, but is this illegal or contradicts the EU agenda?
    I wasn't saying it's illegal, but I guess it's kind of not very good for the former majorities. Moreover, in certain areas acting in the way to become a majority IS illegal for minorities.

Почётный участник
    So, you're Russian, but don't pretty much like Moscow, right? =)

PS. I'm NOT getting personal, just curious.
    You seem not the one who can understand such kind of things.
    I'm Russian and I feel the same way to Moscow as normal Englishmen to London when it's flooded by foreign people with different culture.

Почётный участник
    I wasn't saying it's illegal, but I guess it's kind of not very good for the former majorities. Moreover, in certain areas acting in the way to become a majority IS illegal for minorities.
    For the EU it's ok and going on exactly that way.
    You can't say Somalis in Sweden like "Guys, it's unfair, your birth rate is three times more than the natives', keep equality!"

Hanna
    For the EU it's ok and going on exactly that way.
    You can't say Somalis in Sweden like "Guys, it's unfair, your birth rate is three times more than the natives', keep equality!"
    Well, despite the sorry state of public health care in Sweden, it actually manages to maintain one of the lowest infant mortality rates in the world.
    The Somalis don't use birth control and where they came from has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world.
    The should adapt to the new circumstances, instead of continuing like they were still in Somalia. I think they should start wearing more European clothes as well. If they leave Africa because the situation there is bad, then they ought to try to change a bit to be more like the country they have moved to, in order to get a better life.

Почтенный гражданин
    I'm Russian and I feel the same way to Moscow as normal Englishmen to London when it's flooded by foreign people with different culture.
    And the same way latvians feel to Latvia when it was flooded by foreign people in Soviet times making Latvians almost minority in their own country...

Властелин
    During the Soviet period there were very many migrations. That's why in Latvia as well as in any other part of the Soviet Union there were many new people and many people left Latvia. It was very unfair not to give the citizenship even to the third generation automatically.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by nulle View Post
    And the same way latvians feel to Latvia when it was flooded by foreign people in Soviet times making Latvians almost minority in their own country...
    Was that comment really necessary? Remember we are here to help each other...
    At some level you have to like Russian language or culture, or you wouldn't be at this forum. If I am wrong about that, then maybe a nationalistic Latvian forum would be better. I am not saying this because I think I am a perfect forum member myself. But I think we have had lots of discussions about everything that's been happening between Latvia and Russia/USSR and at some level this is a Russian forum after all, so let's be a bit polite.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Was that comment really necessary? Remember we are here to help each other...
    At some level you have to like Russian language or culture, or you wouldn't be at this forum. If I am wrong about that, then maybe a nationalistic Latvian forum would be better. I am not saying this because I think I am a perfect forum member myself. But I think we have had lots of discussions about everything that's been happening between Latvia and Russia/USSR and at some level this is a Russian forum after all, so let's be a bit polite.
    That comment was necessary to fight the hypocrisy which arises on here from time to time. You can't actually say "I don't stand for immigrants flooding the country with their culture, except for the immigrants X". Think about it.

Почтенный гражданин
    It was very unfair not to give the citizenship even to the third generation automatically.
    They got the best apartments outside of normal queue (which they were allowed to keep) - while latvians had to live in communal apartments, and also many other privileges (like special shops where you could buy deficit goods that were unavailable to locals) at that time - Was this fair?
    And people who are born in independent Latvia (after 1991) to non-citizens can get citizenship if their parents wish so (they just have to fill some forms and that's all - I bet that Russian TV channels that say that Latvia is a fascistic country - does not tell you this.).

and many people left Latvia.
    Yes, they run away from occupying red army and fleed to the West.
    At some level you have to like Russian language or culture, or you wouldn't be at this forum.
    Russian culture is one thing - I'm not against it.
    Occupation by foreign army and ethnic cleansing - another...

Hanna - I have visited Latvian nationalist forums.
    And many of them (most radical) think that all soviet time migrants should be deported from Latvia.
    The same thing that Chechens did to Russians in their own country:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechnya#Demographics
    From 23% to 3% in 20 years.
    My views are too moderate for them...

You can't actually say "I don't stand for immigrants flooding the country with their culture, except for the immigrants X". Think about it.
    Yes Hanna - it is hypocritical that you do not like Somalis and afghans which your democratically elected government allowed in your country.
    But you do not have anything against people that were intentionally sent to Latvia by totallitarian occupying power to weaken and oppress our country.

Властелин
    that were intentionally sent to Latvia by totallitarian occupying power to weaken and oppress our country.
    They were invited by Latvian government in order to help Latvia to build its economy. They all worked, built a lot of things in Latvia, they've always paid taxes. After 1991 they were discriminated during privatization, there were more unemployed among them.

Почтенный гражданин
    They were invited by Latvian government in order to help Latvia to build its economy
    Yes - and Red army liberated us in WW2.
    This "Latvian government" was just Kremlin puppets and could not do anything that Moscow did not like - otherwise - death sentence (under Stalin), imprisonment or if you were lucky - you got fired and replaced by person that was loyal to occupants.

Властелин
    This "Latvian government" was just Kremlin puppets and could not do anything that Moscow did not like - otherwise - death sentence (under Stalin), imprisonment or if you were lucky - you got fired and replaced by person that was loyal to occupants.
    Modern Latvian government are American puppets.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Oh c'mon, why are there so many Russians wishing to start back the cold war?

Почтенный гражданин
    Last time Latvia declared neutrality - it got 50 years long occupation.
    So this time Baltic states chose to be part of NATO military alliance.
    Oh c'mon, why are there so many Russians wishing to start back the cold war?
    Because it is benefical for Russia's rulers to say that there are only enemies around Russia.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast