Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Max Keiser's Show on RT and programming style on RT

Hanna

Max Keiser's Show on RT and programming style on RT

This has nothing to do with Russia really, other than that it appears on RT - just asking here because I know many here are RT viewers.

The question is about The Keiser Report with Max Keiser.

Keiser is an American ex-banker from Wall Street, now residing in London. His main point is that the financial systems in the UK, US and EU are corrupt to the core. He has several similar points about other economies around the world and is a fan of gold and bitcoin investment among other things. He's anti-imperialist. I think you get the general idea.

I agree with what he says,and he makes some very good points. Occasionally he has very impressive guests, in terms of seniority and knowledge.

But in terms of format, I can't stand it.
    I'm thinking, maybe I just don't "get it", and it's just a cultural thing. RT has an increasingly "American" style of presenting programs (I personally like it more low key): Guests encouraged to be aggressive, interrupt each other and generally turn the program into entertainment, even when the topic is serious. I think this style is popular on Russian TV too.
    Perhaps others think this style is entertaining?

Bu for me, Max Keiser goes well over and beyond in his showiness!!

He has a particularly ugly voice, he's screaming and gesticulating like a mad street preacher. He's using allegories that are disturbing and downright disgusting language - exaggerating and bad mouthing people.

I don't get him at all. Is this really normal TV to others, particularly those in the US who are more used to this type of dramatic presentation..? He breaks into an unrelated rant, shouting and cutting off participants. It's intolerable to watch, I think. Rude and loud.
    The clever and adoring female co-host is apparently his fiancee.

Or is he on drugs? Has he got some kind of mental condition?
    Or is his style genuinely thought to be convincing?

I'd really like to see a serious show on the corruptness of international finance. I know it's there, but I don't know the ins and outs like an international banker.

However I just can't put up with 1 hour of rude language in a shrieking voice, deliberate poor taste and general madman tendencies. Like I said - I agree with the message, but to me, the messenger is too much.

What do you think?

On a second note, why the need for showiness and drama on RT? I thought it was state financed and could be more quality driven, no need to whore itself for maximum viewing figures at any given minute?
    But recently when I stayed in a hotel, I got RT with ads. Anyone has more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Guests encouraged to be aggressive, interrupt each other and generally turn the program into entertainment, even when the topic is serious. I think this style is popular on Russian TV too.
    You are right.
    I thought it was state financed
    All big three major channels (1st, Russia, NTV), which are all state linked, overuse this approach in their shows.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrq View Post
    You are right.

All big three major channels (1st, Russia, NTV), which are all state linked, overuse this approach in their shows.
    They don't have ads then, right?

People who like low key news where participants are allowed to finish their sentences and there isn't a break to distract all the time --
    Euronews and BBC.

But for me, I prefer the type of news and coverage of RT, even though some of the programs are too flashy for my tastes.

They don't have ads then, right?
    Sure they don't

It was sarcasm by the way. All Russian channels, especially the state funded ones, have ads and A LOT of them. Also the ad breaks are really frequent
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    Sure they don't

It was sarcasm by the way. All Russian channels, especially the state funded ones, have ads and A LOT of them. Also the ad breaks are really frequent
    Well RT doesn't have ads when I watch it. However, as I mentioned, I once tuned into RT in a hotel room and there were ads. It was a pain to watch, I turned on the BBC. At least it doesn't have ads.

State TV with ads!
    I noticed they seemed to have that in Ukraine and Belarus when I was there, but it seemed so ludicrous I wasn't sure it was correct.
    That is the absolute bottom.

Maybe you are calling it state TV, but it really isn't? Is it owned by a state company?

If so, why don't they finance it with tax of licence...?
    You have NO channels without ads?
    bublinka likes this.

You have NO channels without ads?
    We have no channels without ads, at least among those I know.
    That's why I often watch TV programs in the Internet. It's more convenient, as the interesting programs are often shown at night (after 23.00). And when I watch them without ads, it takes 1,5 times less time! Television like that will become obsolete in about 10-20 years I think. I can't imagine how it can compete with Internet broadcasting.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by bublinka View Post
    We have no channels without ads, at least among those I know.
    That's why I often watch TV programs in the Internet. It's more convenient, as the interesting programs are often shown at night (after 23.00). And when I watch them without ads, it takes 1,5 times less time! Television like that will become obsolete in about 10-20 years I think. I can't imagine how it can compete with Internet broadcasting.
    Yes I have the same view as you on this.

99% of what's on TV is not even worth watching, and it's ads-infested.

The problem with using the internet though - is that we risk getting caught for downloading.
    The copyright people are controlling the internet;
    NSA and GCHQ are spying on it;
    Corporatations are ad-infesting it and creating pay portals

Even in Russia, they are going to crack down on copyright violations:
    russia | TorrentFreak

I don't want to watch any film or tv series if it's going to be interrupted by ads.
    And I only want to watch news if it's serious and anyone interviewed is allowed to finish their sentences. Plus, the less pro-war propgaganda and politically correct brainwash, the better.

Почтенный гражданин
    We have one state-funded channel without ads: "Культура" ("Culture").
    It has very good content about art, music, theater etc.
    Highly recommended!

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by xdns View Post
    Highly recommended!
    Thanks for the tip!
    That's good news! I wouldn't mind watching that. It sounds a bit like the "Arte" channel (French/German), which I like.
    Truth of the matter is I almost only watch TV when I do my weekly ironing!

Ok, I am checking if they broadcast online. Well, not right now apparently.
    Or is it because I'm outside Russia?

New word for me: "художественный" which I looked up even if my Russian studies are on hold.
    Means "artistic", aha - ok, similar to the Russian word for "artist" художник which suddenly came back to me.

But back on topic --- nobody watches Max Keiser's show?
    You should really, he's right, even if his presentatin is ghastly.

Почтенный гражданин
    I am getting the same announcement right now. Apparently, current show is for some reason TV-only and they don't broadcast it online.
    But they promise that online broadcasting will resume at 00:10 MSK with some Soviet film shot in 1939
    You can try the videoarchive. For example, this talk show "Тем временем" ("In the meantime"). There are no heated arguments and interruptions, just calm dialog of educated guests

P.S.: "Художественный фильм" (fictional film) is the opposite of "документальный фильм" (documentary film).
    Lampada likes this.

Hanna
    I am getting the same announcement right now. Apparently, current show is for some reason TV-only and they don't broadcast it online.
    But they promise that online broadcasting will resume at 00:10 MSK with some Soviet film shot in 1939
    You can try the videoarchive. For example, this talk show "Тем временем" ("In the meantime"). There are no heated arguments and interruptions, just calm dialog of educated guests

P.S.: "Художественный фильм" (fictional film) is the opposite of "документальный фильм" (documentary film).
    Oh thanks for clarifying the distinction with the films, I didn't get that..

"Calm dialogue between educated guests" is much more up my alley, but I am not sure how much of the dialogue I am going to understand.

Еще есть Школа Злословия, Познер, и у Гордона были шоу в таком формате.

Banned
    Без рекламы у нас наверное только платные телевизионные каналы и один бесплатный (Культура). На остальных бесплатных каналах реклама есть.

Highly recommended!
    Это полная чушь.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Russian View Post
    Это полная чушь.
    It would be more fair if you added IMO to your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    It would be more fair if you added IMO to your statement.
    Are you going to tell everyone else to do that - so that they are fair?

Почтенный гражданин
    Это полная чушь.
    Не нравится канал "Культура"? А по-моему самый качественный и содержательный из эфирных каналов.

Are you going to tell everyone else to do that - so that they are fair?
    Everybody can do it. So if you feel that somebody takes too much upon oneself, you are welcome.

We get RT on transponder 26, at 12152 MHz, from the Galaxy 19 satellite. The blind-scan receiver lists everything on the signal and RT is one of the free-to-air programs.
    We get it on TV and re-direct it to the radio too and there's never any ads.

About the aggressive style of the Keiser Report (and some other shows), I think it's really effective - especially for the West. It's an attention grabber and, even with the interruptions, it's probably what makes me want to listen more. If it wasn't aggressive, I'd probably just go listen to something else. Even dad can get bored if there's nothing exciting to listen to.
    Anyway, it is the best way to get a huge audience in the US cause it's the type of programming most of us want to hear. There may be some people that like less radical programs but it must be rare cause I haven't noticed.
    Btw, it was really sad to hear about the 2 bombings in Volgograd and I hope they catch everybody responsible for that.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by UhOhXplode View Post
    We get RT on transponder 26, at 12152 MHz, from the Galaxy 19 satellite. The blind-scan receiver lists everything on the signal and RT is one of the free-to-air programs.
    We get it on TV and re-direct it to the radio too and there's never any ads.

About the aggressive style of the Keiser Report (and some other shows), I think it's really effective - especially for the West. It's an attention grabber and, even with the interruptions, it's probably what makes me want to listen more.
    Ok, well if you like the style, then that's good. There is another US style program that I also find annoying, "Crosstalk". The host is called Peter Lavelle. Nobody is allowed to finish a sentence and the more people shout at each other the better TV as far as the host is concerned. Plus the host is incredibly biased in his views. I happen to agree with his political opinions, but it still annoys me when you are force fed with somebody's politics in a program like that. He should at least try to pretend to be objective. And many of the guests are just terrible, I can't even bear listening to them.

However I like the show with Oksana Boiko, "Worlds Apart", because she is so well prepared and usually knows the topic inside out, whatever it is. She must have a doctors degree in political science or something. I agree with her political views and her personality is kind of cute, she is really human somehow. Her English is excellent, but sometimes I can see tell that she can't quite find the word she wants. Nevertheless she can still put almost anyone in their place with her clever questions.

I also like the show "Sophie and Co" with Sophie Shevarnadze, because Sophie is so good at really listening and getting people to open up. She finds very interesting people to interview, particularly women you don't normally hear from. However she is so stylish that I just want to hide myself in the sand!! That woman is a walking fashion show. It's a bit distracting.

One US style show that I appreciate is "Breaking the Set" hosted by Abby Martin. It's a little bit too fast paced and simplified, and makes no attempt to seem objective. But but people can talk uninterrupted without any shouting. The host is quite up to scratch on her subject. I think the target audience is quite young people, so fair enough that the style is a bit whimsical with Twitter, facebook and instagram references left right and centre.

Politicking with Larry King is a show on RT I never seen. Either it's only on during US evening, or it's on RT America. Or I don't know. If anyone has seen it, please share!

The paus filler program "Just my Opinion" is dumbed down political agitation. "Joe Blow" averarge America make a true, but simplified statement in a silly voice and then finishes the who thing by saying "JUST MY OPINION!".

The way RT is set up is that the regular news are during European viewing hours, and then switches over tot the "shows" during American viewing hours. To each his own.

The content on the "International" RT is different than the "American RT", the American shows are more geared towards American preferences. The faster pace and aggressive style that I was complaining about.
    However, some of the content is shared they just timezone it a bit as well, so the US oriented stuff is on at times Americans are more likely to watch, I think.

There is also a Russian language RT channel for documentaries, but I can't get that. However I've seen some of their documentaries on Arte or some such channel, and it's very good content. I switch off the German/French soundtrack and only listened in Russian, was really pleased that I could follow exactly what was happening.
    Last edited by Hanna; March 4th, 2014 at 08:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast